Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Gunner and Pilot Hit Box Mod

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 01 November 2015 - 19:20

This mod increases the chance of pilot and gunner death by incorporating additional hit/collision boxes for single engine fighters and bombers. 

This mod does not alter game ballistics, aircraft damage models, or pilot health.

Attached Files

#2 charlo

charlo

Posted 01 November 2015 - 20:01

(Going wayyyy back on this comment) JoshEcho would approve, if he still flew RoF.
Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake OC @ 4.8 GHz | Corsair Hydro H70 CWCH70 CPU Cooler with two Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm fans | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO motherboard | EVGA Titan X Hybrid GPU | G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB DDR4 3000 F4-3000C15Q-32GRK RAM | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD | CoolerMaster HAF 932 ATX Full Tower case |SeaSonic Snow Silent 750W Power Supply | Acer B6 Series B286HK ymjdpprz 28" 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) Monitor | Windows 10 Pro | CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Throttle Quadrant, CH Pro pedals, CH MFP, Track IR 5, Buttkicker Gamer 2 | ====== My original ROF rig (now used by visiting gunners): MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.66 GHz | 8 GBs RAM | NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB GPU

#3 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 01 November 2015 - 20:17

Excellent idea in principal. From watching the demonstration movie - several times - you might have overdone it a little? But I shall certainly give it a trial!

Thanks.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#4 1PL-Husar

1PL-Husar

Posted 01 November 2015 - 22:28

In theory it is Brilliant!
Thanks a lot for yours work Steppenwolf !

I gonna use it in Coop mode and report back.
I wonder how it will work with improved gunnery which i use together with reduced lethality mod (to prevent wings melting).
I wonder too how one can increase chance of flamers because personally i think that there is none in my career and it happens to rarely now (i know that back then was opposite). I read many times that when there was a fuel leak there was fear of fire too.

34zg6jd.jpg

#5 1PL-Husar

1PL-Husar

Posted 03 November 2015 - 23:11

Well i played some coops and this mod do not ridiculously increased killed pilot or gunners numbers :-) I made test and i can kill DFW gunner through fuselage (with pilot hand gun) which was impossible before ! I gonna use it because i thinks it is more accurate that mods off mode.

When you hit meat or fuselage which cover that meat - which is hard by itself, you maybe could kill in one pass - which is nice and more realistic!

34zg6jd.jpg

#6 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:46

Intriguing concept.  Would like to have the video show before and after - kinda hard to tell how different this really makes the results.  Also, where is the gunfire coming from relative to the camera view?  On the last plane (the FE3), it looks like shots hitting the fuselage behind the pilot are really going more sideways than toward the pilot yet are still killing him.

Not sure I need new ways to make it easier for the AI to kill me, but still, I'm looking forward to trying this in a few missions to see if I can tell what impact it's having on game play/results.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#7 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:47

Thanks, Husar. 

Panthercules, all the target AC are parked around one DFW. I attached the rear fuel tank hit box from an EIII and an underseat fuel tank from another AC to the hit box of the pilot. The gunner has an extra hitbox taken from the fuselage of an SE5 attached to the space behind him. This increases the overall space needed to register a 'hit'. It's by no means perfect, but it does seem to result in more plausible dogfights. If you try the same set up in the ME with multiple AC in varying positions you'll see that it does make it a little easier to die, but not much.

Thanks for the feedback. 

#8 Uwe_W.

Uwe_W.
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 04 November 2015 - 14:18

This is really really good stuff.
I've hoped for something like it for a long time!
Thanks!

#9 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 04 November 2015 - 15:07

Nice ... thanks ...

Chief

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#10 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 04 November 2015 - 17:04

Thanks, Husar. 

Panthercules, all the target AC are parked around one DFW. I attached the rear fuel tank hit box from an EIII and an underseat fuel tank from another AC to the hit box of the pilot. The gunner has an extra hitbox taken from the fuselage of an SE5 attached to the space behind him. This increases the overall space needed to register a 'hit'. It's by no means perfect, but it does seem to result in more plausible dogfights. If you try the same set up in the ME with multiple AC in varying positions you'll see that it does make it a little easier to die, but not much.

Thanks for the feedback. 

Is this change in hit box also including your own plane or just the the AI planes??? 

If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#11 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 04 November 2015 - 20:31

Is this change in hit box also including your own plane or just the the AI planes??? 

If affects both.

#12 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 04 November 2015 - 20:54

Thanks for the reply and for making mods, this will keep RoF still alive.

Do not forget a JSGME installer version, if possible. 

If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#13 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 05 November 2015 - 13:10

Thanks for the reply and for making mods, this will keep RoF still alive.

Do not forget a JSGME installer version, if possible. 

Thanks Dutch2. How do I make a JSGME installer version?

#14 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 05 November 2015 - 15:57

If you extract the zip file to whatever disc, Rise of Flight/MODS folder it appears in the JSGME menu and can be enabled. 

Still have not had time to test though... Salmonella, ugh, very uncomfortable week....:(

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#15 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:10

Nice mod. Well done. It adds to the immersion - and to the necessity of being carefull when attacking.

Very good to be able to bring down two seaters - or at least kill the gunner - in one pass. I always go for the pilot/engine, so this mod suits me well.

Keeper! :)

Cheers.

#16 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 06 November 2015 - 18:13

Thanks Dutch2. How do I make a JSGME installer version?

Download this from http://www.overfland...s.com/user.html  and read the TXT file think here is a explanation and go for http://riseofflight....sgme/?hl=+jsgme

But I think Unreasonable is right on this. 

#17 1PL-Husar

1PL-Husar

Posted 06 November 2015 - 19:28

One do not have to make this mod JSGME ready, becouse it is - just copy it to MODS directory ....

34zg6jd.jpg

#18 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:15

Thanks.

#19 keeno

keeno

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:39

Steppenwolf,

I've been with RoF since it first came out all those years ago and still love it. This is one of the best mods out there. No more shredding  a plane to pieces waiting for the wings to fall off. Just like the old pilot memoirs, " get in close, un-leash a hail of lead and put a bullet through the back of the pilots head". It feels so much more real and what I expect it was like.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers 

#20 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 14 December 2015 - 17:43

Just curious - do you think there's any way to use the concepts behind this mod to somehow tweak the hit boxes associated with the rudder/hinges on the N17 to tone down the "glass rudder" syndrome that seems to afflict that plane (according to some threads around here)?

Maybe you could add some hit boxes behind/around the existing hit box that would be linked to damaging some other part of the plane, so that bullets that are currently hitting the existing box and causing the rudder hinges to fail might be "absorbed" by the new hit boxes and deal damage to less vital parts of the rudder or tail plane instead?

Or maybe there's some way to adapt the "reduced lethality" mod concepts (that seemed to strengthen the wings from being shed quite so quickly by bullet damage) to the rudder/hinge hit box area to accomplish a similar strengthening?

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#21 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 15 December 2015 - 16:16

Just curious where is the files for the hit boxes located? 

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#22 Agent86

Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 15 December 2015 - 19:16

(Going wayyyy back on this comment) JoshEcho would approve, if he still flew RoF.

LOL Haven't seen Josh in years.  :)

Sorry About That                                                           

#23 KurtZibling

KurtZibling
  • LocationScotland

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:21

Cool mod - That vid of the pilot executions made me shiver!

#24 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 26 April 2016 - 23:57

Can't believe I missed this.  Trying it out now.

-----------------

Very nice work.  It finally makes it possible to kill a pilot or gunner through the canvas.  It also extends the range at which machine gun fire is dangerous.  Seeing that we already shoot down aircraft from 3x the range they did in WW1, and that there is no tripling of lethal range in WW2 sims due to practice time, some additional adjustments to reign in the shooting range could be good.

#25 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:47

I think this is a fantastic mod: I used it when making the fight scene for my last movie, along with the official "improved gunnery" mod and your "Reduced Lethality", and it soon became obvious to me that the effect when you get a good clear shot on a bandit from behind is much more plausible than in vanilla where you have to snipe exactly at the exposed head. Same for you though: one has to very careful defensively. 

I am not sure how one can modify the range effect/problem though: this mod just adds hit boxes: is there some maximum range modifier that you can tweak in your "Reduced Lethalty" mod?

#26 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 28 April 2016 - 23:38

We could slightly increase the dispersion for the Vickers and Spandau.  I need more practice with this mod to see if I really think that is necessary, though.

#27 Fritz-Fraghof

Fritz-Fraghof

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:51

Wonderful little mod. Thank you. Great to see innovative gameplay mods still coming out for Rise of Flight.

#28 C.M.Bailey

C.M.Bailey

Posted 23 May 2016 - 19:13

I agree, being able to get the pilot or gunner with less than 4 headshots is great. As regards the gun range thing, well yes, the ability to get damaged at 400 meters while extending renders the possession of a top speed advantage almost moot. How about a simple mod that simply renders gunfire effective outside of say, one hundred meters?

Can't believe I missed this.  Trying it out now.

-----------------

Very nice work.  It finally makes it possible to kill a pilot or gunner through the canvas.  It also extends the range at which machine gun fire is dangerous.  Seeing that we already shoot down aircraft from 3x the range they did in WW1, and that there is no tripling of lethal range in WW2 sims due to practice time, some additional adjustments to reign in the shooting range could be good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users