- - - - -

Custom Skin Locations

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 Nooney

Nooney
  • LocationOn your 6 Boooooom

Posted 10 February 2010 - 14:55

Same problem over here-no custom skins planes of the AI-everything is set correctly,folders etc.Plane name changed to the folder name.Names changed to the ones without spaces.Nothing-they don't show up as the default in the hangar menu and of course neither in the flight…
I solved the sst problem by copying the sst folder in a seperate file away from ROF main program in C:, then deleted sst in ROF C:, sorted the seperate planes into folders then just replaced them in ROF C: skins mods on worked fine, try that if you still got probs give us a shout

#42 Xegie

Xegie

Posted 23 March 2010 - 15:15

This is also the manner in which you would install custom "parts" for the planes. For example I have a wooden instrument panel in the Camel, the file location for that is:

Rise of Flight\data\graphics\planes\sopcamel\textures\sopcamel_c.dds
umm i would like to add pic into my cockpit, but i cant find the file i need to edit.
i get into this folder : Rise of Flight\data\graphics but i there is no planes folder and i cant edit the cockpit, i even tried search my computer for dds but couldnt find any except custom skins i downloaded, any help ?:)

#43 =J99=Sizzlorr

=J99=Sizzlorr

Posted 23 March 2010 - 15:38

i think you first need to unpack the files which are needed

yedwwtfx.gif

#44 Nooney

Nooney
  • LocationOn your 6 Boooooom

Posted 23 March 2010 - 19:02

umm i would like to add pic into my cockpit,:)
Will this add weight, and allow for extra fuel :lol:
Serious tho' if your using photoshop, you need to download Nvidias DDS tool, then from photoshop open in your ROF main folder the plane dds file, do your bits then save it back to the folder (although I would save it under another name i.e my DR1 or whatever, if it goes wrong you still have the original) mods on for your save, not sure if you save it as the original file? hope this helps ;)

#45 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:11

Added folder names of all planes up to 1.012 in first post.

This is also the manner in which you would install custom "parts" for the planes. For example I have a wooden instrument panel in the Camel, the file location for that is:

Rise of Flight\data\graphics\planes\sopcamel\textures\sopcamel_c.dds
umm i would like to add pic into my cockpit, but i cant find the file i need to edit.
i get into this folder : Rise of Flight\data\graphics but i there is no planes folder and i cant edit the cockpit, i even tried search my computer for dds but couldnt find any except custom skins i downloaded, any help ?:)

In your Rise of Flight\data folder there will be several *.gtp files (graphics1.gtp, graphics2.gtp etc). The default graphics are in those files and need to be extracted. (Tool and instructions HERE)

I am not sure what plane you are wanting to edit, even if I did I would be unsure which .gtp it is contained in, but just try them all until you find what you are looking for, it should be "desiredplanename_c.dds" The edited .dds file can then be placed as per the file conventions noted in my above quote and the 1st post of the thread.

#46 WW1EAF_Osprey

WW1EAF_Osprey

Posted 17 August 2010 - 17:52

Where are the E3 and DH2 Folders?

#47 JGBFlyer

JGBFlyer

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:43

How do I make the thumbnails show up in the game?

Skins work great, no thumbs though. Hard to fly without thumbs :)

#48 ChrisWorth

ChrisWorth

Posted 18 June 2011 - 17:07

Same problem here.

Skins work great but kind of hard to know what you are picking because the thumbnail images do not show up.

#49 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:19

Same problem here.

Skins work great but kind of hard to know what you are picking because the thumbnail images do not show up.

Thumbnails (300x100 preview picture .jpg files) should be placed in the following location (depending upon plane type):

…\Rise of Flight\data\swf\planes\[plane type]\skins

The .jpg file must have the same file name as the .dds file (except for the file extension, of course) in order for it to show up. And, of course, you'll need to have "Mods On" checked in your game launcher in order to see the skins or thumbnails in your game (unless they've already been approved and included in one of the Skin Pack Volumes, in which case you shouldn't have to worry about where to put anything because the installers will put them in the right place for you).

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#50 J5_Wolf

J5_Wolf

Posted 15 July 2011 - 19:43

Guys what is is the correct folder named for the skins of the Bristol. I have a bunch of skins I want to place in the game I just don't know the name of the folders…Thanks

#51 von_Semmel

von_Semmel
  • LocationGermany / Munich

Posted 15 July 2011 - 19:49

BristolF2BF2
And
BristolF2BF3

#52 J5_Wolf

J5_Wolf

Posted 15 July 2011 - 23:00

Thanks man

#53 AceSaturn

AceSaturn
  • LocationColorado

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:28

I am not sure however how this works on a windows 8 could anyone help me?

#54 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:59

Welcome to the Forums!

Unfortunately, I can't figure out exactly what your question is or whether it has anything to do with this necro-thread.

What is it that you can't get to work with Windows 8?

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#55 AceSaturn

AceSaturn
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:55

Welcome to the Forums!

Unfortunately, I can't figure out exactly what your question is or whether it has anything to do with this necro-thread.

Welcome to the Forums!

Sorry for being unclear that was my bad but how do you make the files for the custom skins on a windows 8 i am asking. Thank you for reading :S!:

#56 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:02

Aha - well, unfortunately I haven't messed with Windows 8 yet so I can't help you, but at least now maybe someone else who does have Win8 will know how to help you.

Good luck!

#57 AceSaturn

AceSaturn
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:54

OK well i appreciate for you replying and thanks for the good luck :)

#58 DEMON-ACE

DEMON-ACE

Posted 28 June 2013 - 14:58

where can I find a photo edit program on the market that supports a .DDS file?

#59 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 28 June 2013 - 17:02

Welcome to the Forums!

I use PhotoShop, which does very nicely for making skins in RoF (you just need to install the free nVidia .dds plug-in for it to work with .dds files).

I've seen some posts somewhere indicating that there might actually be an old version or PhotoShop available for free now (maybe CS2 or so), but since I already have my version I haven't checked that out myself.

A lot of folks here seem to be using GIMP, a free program that seems to be able to handle them OK as well - I'm not sure how that works as I've never used GIMP, but it's probably explained in the How To Guide for GIMP linked to in this thread:

STICKY THREAD COMPILATION - Useful Skinning-related Info

Good luck!

#60 DEMON-ACE

DEMON-ACE

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:56

I'm using Gimp with a .DDS plug in, when I go to save, it says; layers are not the same size this is a volume map can't save, or some thing like that , any suggestions? thank you

#61 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:28

I'm using Gimp with a .DDS plug in, when I go to save, it says; layers are not the same size this is a volume map can't save, or some thing like that , any suggestions? thank you

Can't help you personally as I have no clue how GIMP works - I'd suggest that you either (1) PM the author of the How To Guide for GIMP, or some of the other GIMP users you'll see from perusing the threads in this skin discussion subforum, or (2) post your question in a new topic in this skin discussion sub-forum asking for help with GIMP - that should attract more attention than burying the question in this very old thread.

Good luck!

#62 DEMON-ACE

DEMON-ACE

Posted 03 July 2013 - 19:26

Thanks I figured it out…

#63 Oliver88

Oliver88

Posted 18 April 2014 - 18:08

I've just started on ROF. And starting my 1st career as No 23 squadron around the time they got the SPAD XIII, as I'm not going as anything other than an British squadron and I've not got the planes at the moment to choose an RNAS one which I would prefer.

Anyway I looked across at my other wingmen and "EURRGGGHH, THEY'RE FRENCH!" not that I've anything against the French just that is rather disgusting to see an British group in someone else's roundels. Would be like putting the prefix USS onto the Hood and putting an French ensign upon her. And reading upon these boards seems that the default skinning's the cause? So am going to try what is suggested here.

Worked, Fantastic, Thanks….

#64 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 18 April 2014 - 23:41

@ tipsypo - glad you got it to work that way. Do note, however, that if you would D/L and install the Official and Historical skin packs you would be seeing No. 23 squadron (and the other units in career mode) flying in their appropriate country/squadron-marked skins, without having to do the manual work you did above.

#65 Oliver88

Oliver88

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:46

During my install I did go with the Official Pack. But neglected to go with an Community Pack seeing as well they're player made and didn't want to go downloading some skins that might not appear to "fit" should you get my drift. Although that these packs are approved via 777 might make that unfounded. Are the community packs pretty standard things to add now?

Might just have been the SPAD VII that I saw in the wrong colours as there is an No 23 Default skin available to choose upon the SPAD XIII in my game. But either way I overrode both in case.

#66 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 19 April 2014 - 18:16

During my install I did go with the Official Pack. But neglected to go with an Community Pack seeing as well they're player made and didn't want to go downloading some skins that might not appear to "fit" should you get my drift. Although that these packs are approved via 777 might make that unfounded. Are the community packs pretty standard things to add now?

Might just have been the SPAD VII that I saw in the wrong colours as there is an No 23 Default skin available to choose upon the SPAD XIII in my game. But either way I overrode both in case.

The Community Historical packs are all historically appropriate and well worth adding. They do contain a small handful of historically accurate but post war aircraft (e.g., Russian civil war, Polish conflict, etc.) that some people have objections to, but those are clearly identified as such on the list in game (when you're choosing them for your plane) and are not incorporated in any of the career missions so you're not going to be encountering them anyway unless you want to.

It's the Community Fictional skin packs that are going to have the non-historical skins you are worried about. Some of them are nicely done and you might enjoy using them, but those are not used by the game and you won't see them (even if you D/L and install them) unless you play MP or choose them off the hangar list on purpose.

Check out the skin pack FAQ linked to in this thread for more info: STICKY THREAD COMPILATION - Useful Skinning-related Info

You can also choose to D/L the Community historical skins from my set of Panther Pack alternate locations, if you only want to D/L and install certain subsets of the skins instead of all 15 volumes of the Community Historical packs - see Q&A #8 in the FAQ mentioned above for details.

#67 VLK5

VLK5

Posted 15 October 2017 - 00:47

Thanks it helped me, now i have nice Von Hippel camouflage in PWCG Campaign on my Albatros D.Va :) Voted up for you :)

#68 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:41

Ok, clearly I am doing something wrong or I have the wrong idea. 

I cannot seem to get the skins to show up in game. 

There isn't a "Mod On" feature at launch whether I use the icon or steam to launch the game. In- game under Options> General, I did tick the box to "Enable Modification." It did the required restart, the box was still ticked when I checked when I restarted the game. 

These are the two routes:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rise of Flight\data\swf\planes\Albatros D.Va\skins

There are DDS images of the different paints. (17 Total)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rise of Flight\data\graphics\Skins\AlbatrosD5

There are DDS skins. (16 total)

I am not sure why there is a different number. 

I downloaded the skins on the main page. They were executable files that unpacked the files in the folders indicated above. 

I downloaded Historical skins 1 and 19. 

I checked for the skins under the career mode. I am not sure if they are available that way. It allows you to choose paint options so I am assuming it should be available there. 

I appreciate any help given. 

Kind Regards,

comic3_signature2018.png

#69 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:54

Hi Pike,

At the game launch window you need to select the 'Game Settings' tab. That's where the 'Modifications On' tick box is.

If you wish to play online, make sure you don't have this ticked. Only servers with mods activated in their settings will show up in the server list, and most don't.

The skins should auto-install in the correct directory. If RoF isn't installed in the 'default' directory, you'll have to point the skin pack installs to wherever RoF is.

They should be there, but note the system for selecting them is woefully inadequate for so many !

I don't run through Steam, so maybe that's where your issue is.. someone else will likely chip in regarding that if you need to do something else..

:icon_e_salute:

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#70 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 02 January 2018 - 13:26

Apparently, it is a Steam issue. In other games, you get a Mod screen within steam where you can activate and deactivate mods (Total War), in others, there is a menu screen that pops up that allows you to activate DLCs and Mods (Paradox), but for ROF, it goes directly to game start. I am deleting the Steam game and I am now installing the game via the website. I will try it again when it finishes uninstalling.

Thanks for the quick responses!  

comic3_signature2018.png

#71 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 02 January 2018 - 16:41

I've never used Steam for RoF either, so I'm not sure how different it is.  If you still have problems with the game after you've installed it from the RoF website, post back and we'll see if we can help sort it out.

#72 Oliver88

Oliver88

Posted 02 January 2018 - 18:18

I just changed mine from non-steam to steam. Do not ask the reason, I went nuts, lost any kinda common sense, etc.

I was going to state about the basic non-existent differences between the game on steam and non-steam. But I've just noticed the cause of your problem (if its not too late already). Zooropa says you need to have mods on enabled to see the skin packs, you do not, that is only needed for custom skins that you or someone else make and dump in there yourselves and have not been approved by 777. The problem that you were having is because during the installers for the skins you did not redirect their install path into the correct area. The path on the installer defaults to where the non-steam game exists, you should have changed that path to show where the game exists in steam. Those same paths you wrote for example should have ended up more like this if your using steam;

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Rise of Flight 2.0\data\swf\planes\Albatros D.Va\skins

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Rise of Flight 2.0\data\graphics\Skins\AlbatrosD5

The paths you showed us are where they would have gone if you had installed the game from the website rather than steam.

TaUmua7.png

#73 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 03 January 2018 - 13:33

Rats Oliver,

I already switched from steam to non-steam. It took four times longer to install than with steam. ugh. 

I should have realized it should have gone to "steam" directory first. 

All's well that end well, I supposed. The skins are all there. I assume the skins found here is the same as here

Thanks for the help everyone! 

comic3_signature2018.png

#74 Oliver88

Oliver88

Posted 03 January 2018 - 17:09

Rats Oliver,

I already switched from steam to non-steam. It took four times longer to install than with steam. ugh. 

I should have realized it should have gone to "steam" directory first. 

All's well that end well, I supposed. The skins are all there. I assume the skins found here is the same as here

Thanks for the help everyone! 

Yes should be, one page just has volume 19 hosted on it when the other also has volumes 1 through 19, but yes the skins that are added from the volume 19 should be the same on both pages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users