Photo
- - - - -

Custom Skin Locations

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 17 November 2009 - 20:17

The question "where do I put custom skins" has been asked a few times here, on SimHQ and elsewhere. I have pasted my original post into enough threads to make me think a sticky is in order.

You will have to create these folders, they will not exist in a default install.

"Mods On" must be selected in the RoF Launcher for custom content to appear in game.

Current skin folder structure is; (Updated for 1.015)

For the player's aircraft:

Rise of Flight\data\graphics\skins

Skins are divided by plane within that folder. Folder names for each current plane are:

AlbatrosD2
AlbatrosD2Late
AlbatrosD3
AlbatrosD5
Breguet14
DFWC5
DH2
FokkerD7
FokkerD7F
FokkerD8
FokkerDr1
FokkerE3
Nieuport11
Nieuport17
Nieuport28
PfalzD3a
PfalzD12
SE5a
SopCamel
SopDolphin
SopPup
SopTriplane
Spad13

Simply place the skin (dds) file in the appropriate plane folder.

For default skins: (This is what will be on your plane at mission load as well as your wingmen and all AI of the same type.)

Rise of Flight\data\graphics\planes

Folder names are the same as in "Skins" above, however, inside each of the aircraft folders you will need another folder named "textures" in which to put the skin file. Additionally the skin you want as default must be named the same as the folder.

For example, the full path to a default skin for the N.17 must be:

Rise of Flight\data\graphics\planes\nieuport17\textures\nieuport17.dds

This is also the manner in which you would install custom "parts" for the planes. For example I have a wooden instrument panel in the Camel, the file location for that is:

Rise of Flight\data\graphics\planes\sopcamel\textures\sopcamel_c.dds

That about covers it. Feel free to ask if any clarification is needed.

S!

#2 GAJIT

GAJIT

Posted 17 November 2009 - 22:21

Thank you - that was very useful

Regards GJ

#3 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 17 November 2009 - 23:23

You're welcome.

I have fixed up the bit about default skins. I had made an error which Graf11 pointed out to me.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

#4 =MR.FOX=

=MR.FOX=

Posted 18 November 2009 - 00:13

Thanks Bleddyn,

I always find myself answering this question all over the forum! S!

#5 wrong_name_607

wrong_name_607

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:46

Thank you sir. Possibly this should be stickied to saved everyone some time. ;)

#6 TX-Thunderbolt

TX-Thunderbolt

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:57

Originally, my game did not come 'default' with the skins folders present. I had to actually create them. I have no doubt that is the primary point of confusion most are having. Having those folders present for each aircraft in the game from the start would seem to be a good idea for inclusion by neoqb.

#7 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 18 November 2009 - 21:15

It is common for it to be that way in games that use packed files T-bolt. A good example is most Steam games, certainly the Half-Life based shooters. Probably because I am quite familiar with the system I put very little emphasis on having to create your own folders, which was a mistake. I will move that part up to the top to make it more immediately evident.

S!

#8 vonKinderei

vonKinderei

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:48

I have followed this to the letter and still the skins DO NOT show up in play …

Where have I gone wrong ?

vK ~

#9 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:53

I have read your issues here and on SimHQ. Are you still having problems with the folders disappearing?

#10 vonKinderei

vonKinderei

Posted 19 November 2009 - 16:02

I am …

I have un-installed and re-installed the sim several times now to see if something there might be the problem … I have installed the sim in other locations besides the program files and still the same result … the folder does disappear still

vK ~

#11 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:50

I read on SimHQ that you got it working, great news!

Good Hunting,
S!

#12 vonKinderei

vonKinderei

Posted 20 November 2009 - 14:10

Yes I did and thanks …

Not sure where the problem laid but a re-install after re-install fixed it … LOL

What a pain in the ass to say the least but it's all good now ;)

vK ~

Attached Files

#13 musicman

musicman

Posted 20 November 2009 - 16:50

Glad to here that!
I could not figure out what you had wrong. Hope you enjoy all the nice skins that are out there.

#14 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 20 November 2009 - 19:45

?Sorry..maybe i´m the only one but there is no ´´Rise of Flight\data\graphics\planes´´folder!
Do i have to create it first, like the skin folder?
Horrido, Der Mo

#15 musicman

musicman

Posted 20 November 2009 - 20:23

Example:

C:\Program Files\Rise of Flight\data\graphics\skins\albatrosd5

If you were to use abatrosD5 then you would create these folders you don't have and put a albatrosd5 DDS in there.
If you download any of my skins, I created the folders already.
You would put my graphics folder in your data folder. I did all the work already. ;)

#16 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 21 November 2009 - 17:57

Thanks..but actually i was looking for the /planes folder to make my squad comrades use another default skin.Do i have to create it first?
Horrido, Der Mo

#17 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 21 November 2009 - 20:27

Thanks..but actually i was looking for the /planes folder to make my squad comrades use another default skin.Do i have to create it first?
Horrido, Der Mo

yes.. they have to be created…

#18 Snuffy

Snuffy
  • LocationGood Ol' U. S. of A.

Posted 17 December 2009 - 21:04

Okay thanks for this Bleddyn. Your knowledge is apprecaited.

Now out of idle curiosity … is there a single repository for all skins anywhere or do I have to fish the net and a thousand websites?

And, can I take and re-name any of the skins I find and use them as a default?

#19 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 18 December 2009 - 21:54

Now out of idle curiosity … is there a single repository for all skins anywhere or do I have to fish the net and a thousand websites?

Unfortunately you have to go fishing I am afraid. A good place to start however is J5_Boman's sticky in this forum.

And, can I take and re-name any of the skins I find and use them as a default?

Changing default skins is detailed in the first post near the bottom. If you need clarification on it please let me know.

That post was current up to 1.008 and should still be good. With the default skins you may or may not have to have mods enabled, I am unsure and unable to test myself right now.

#20 musicman

musicman

Posted 19 December 2009 - 20:42

A good place to find mine and many others.
The whole site is worth looking into but here's the link for ROF skins I think.

http://www.wingsofho...extures.en.html">http://www.wingsofho....com/riseofflig … es.en.html

#21 Boelcke

Boelcke

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:18

I have the problem that not all new skins do show up in the game.

I made the folders for the different planes and copied the collected skins (thx to musicman and the other skin artists) into the folders but for every plane only a few are selectable in menu.

#22 Ansirial

Ansirial

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:28

I had same problem, try to rename files in order to make them completely different on each other
For me solved…

#23 Boelcke

Boelcke

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:51

thx for reply :D but sadly it didn´t work for me

#24 Snuffy

Snuffy

Posted 22 December 2009 - 15:27

Before I get too much more into this I have to ask, (forgive me if its been asked before but I haven't read the forums,) with this paints, is it possible to identify individual squadrons?

In other words, if I'm flying and there are a group of allies from two squadrons, and a couple groups from the Jasta boys, if I have squad colors as a default will these squad colors be applied appropriately to each squad, or does a paint apply to just a type of aircraft despite their squad?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

#25 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 26 December 2009 - 23:21

@Boelcke: I am not sure why the skins are not showing up for you. I am currently on vacation with my family and just checking in via laptop until Jan 7th. I therefore cannot give much input into what may or may not be working in 1.009/1.010 (I have had little time with the first, none with the latter.) That is why the OP states it is up to date with 1.008. As soon as I can I will look at what changes may be needed. Until then, hopefully the users can help you out. My apologies for not being more helpful at the moment.

@Snuffy: If I understand the question correctly, no you cannot set a default skin for individual squadrons currently. The default skin applies to all planes of a given type.

#26 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:57

The default skin applies to all planes of a given type.

Aha - that would explain what I saw tonight in my career mission in my DR.1. I changed the default skin for the Albatros D.Va to one of the D/L'ed Jasta 5 skins when I was flying my D.Va career a few days ago, but thought that would only apply when I was flying the D.Va - so I was really surprised tonight to see a flight of green-tailed Albatroses engaged in a dogfight with some Camels as my flight of DR.1s was heading towards its patrol area - it was very cool to see.

It would be even better if they could make it so you could assign custom skins to each separate jasta/squadron somehow - maybe something for them to consider for a future patch (right after working windsocks :lol: )

Attached Files

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#27 Snuffy

Snuffy

Posted 27 December 2009 - 22:05

… @Snuffy: If I understand the question correctly, no you cannot set a default skin for individual squadrons currently. The default skin applies to all planes of a given type.

Bleddyn, you understood correctly. I'd like to be able to setup a default skin for every squadron that was available during the conflict.

Does multiskin per squadron at default appear to be something that the Developers might want to look into in the future?

I think it would be a great enhancement to the game to be able to see properly identified aircraft by squadron paint schemes.

Put me down for a patch in the future for multiskin by squadron. The fact that other sims have this option means that it is doable for neoqb to provide for it in a future release.

Thanks for the help Bleddyn.

#28 klynn55

klynn55

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:56

Running the game with the latest update….created the folders for the skins exactly as instructed. The skins are not showing up in gameplay………what am I doing wrong? Thanks for the help.

#29 Snuffy

Snuffy

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:45

Running the game with the latest update….created the folders for the skins exactly as instructed. The skins are not showing up in gameplay………what am I doing wrong? Thanks for the help.

http://riseofflight....php?f=48&t=5935">viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5935

#30 luuk

luuk

Posted 28 December 2009 - 14:16

iam sorry but i dont understand,

ive downloaded some skins for the albatross D5; they apear as DDS files.

seconly i searced for the "skins" folder which is supposed to be in the "grapics" folder.

there was no skins folder so i made it. in the skins folder, i made a second folder i made another folder called "albatrossd5"
i placed the DDS file in the tecture folder and started the game…went to start single player and clicked on hanger..
i dint found the skins i downloaded..what am i doing wrong here?

#31 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 28 December 2009 - 20:25

It sounds like you do not have Mods enabled luuk. Select "Mods On" in the launcher before starting the game. This is required for all custom content.

As for a separate default skin for each squadron in the future, I hope it is somewhere in the plan but that is something I can only speculate on.

#32 luuk

luuk

Posted 29 December 2009 - 15:52

yes! you where right! i switched 'mods' on and i now can use the skins i downloaded! thanks!!!!
just too bad you cant use mods on any server online…

#33 Nooney

Nooney
  • LocationOn your 6 Boooooom

Posted 31 December 2009 - 01:16

Bledynn I did everything you said letter for letter, mods turned on, still cant see any custom skins when I run the game, I must be doing something wrong, beats me what though :cry:

#34 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 31 December 2009 - 20:01

Hmm.. always difficult to assist when someone is sure they are doing it right.. why don't we start with just one skin for one plane.

Please put down the exact path you have to one skin and we will see what can be done to help you.

#35 Nooney

Nooney

Posted 01 January 2010 - 17:56

I used the ROF skin sharing tool and it put all the planes in the individual folders, I even tried reloading ROF and initialy it showed all the skins in the hanger, but when you clicked on them no skin, the default one remained, I then closed the game and re-started it and the skins in the hanger had gone, but are still in the folders in the main program.

I have mods on, the path is:ROF-graphics-skins-then the individual folders, also in textures is a folder SST with all the skins in.

Hope this makes sense, and thanks for your help. :?

#36 Nooney

Nooney

Posted 01 January 2010 - 18:12

Heres the folders
Attached File  ROF folders.jpg   129.37KB   1074 downloadsAttached File  ROF folders 2.jpg   153.04KB   1061 downloadsAttached File  ROF folders 3.jpg   246.98KB   1067 downloads

#37 luuk

luuk

Posted 01 January 2010 - 19:47

some skins work only in hangar aswell, they work fine on the plane model in the hangar, but they dont work in actual game play; instaed of the chosen skin, the defauld appaers.
is this some kind a bug, or am i doing something wrong?

#38 musicman

musicman

Posted 01 January 2010 - 20:31

some skins work only in hangar aswell, they work fine on the plane model in the hangar, but they dont work in actual game play; instaed of the chosen skin, the defauld appaers.
is this some kind a bug, or am i doing something wrong?

This has been said before. This usually happins because the file name is incorrect. Try changeing the name first. Short name with no spaces. Like 'MVR_15217' instead of 'MVR 152/17' as an example.

#39 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 01 January 2010 - 22:19

I didn't realize you were using the SST Nooney. It is not covered in the initial post of this thread because I don't use it. It all looks ok to me but someone more experienced with the tool will have to tell you.

#40 Morq

Morq

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:30

Same problem over here-no custom skins planes of the AI-everything is set correctly,folders etc.Plane name changed to the folder name.Names changed to the ones without spaces.Nothing-they don't show up as the default in the hangar menu and of course neither in the flight…

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users