Photo
- - - - -

How to cut a track?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 yun

yun

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:38

I want to shorten my trk (remove part of it). Looks like there is no way to do it in the game :( Are there any external tools for this? Or maybe a description of the file format?

#2 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 17 July 2015 - 15:52

With any track you have to make a recording using something like Fraps . From there you can use something as simple as Microsoft Movie Maker to edit your video track to what you want. There is no way that I know of to make an edit of the in game track footage.

Chief

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#3 yun

yun

Posted 17 July 2015 - 18:22

With any track you have to make a recording using something like Fraps . From there you can use something as simple as Microsoft Movie Maker to edit your video track to what you want. There is no way that I know of to make an edit of the in game track footage.

Chief

I don't want to make a film-like video. I want to watch the tracks in the game, where I can switch and rotate cameras at any moment.

Is trk format documented? Did the developers created it themselves, or used an existing one?

#4 O_Rod

O_Rod
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 July 2015 - 20:28

From my experiences with trk, you can already do what you want. Once you start the replay you can switch views using the F keys and use the mouse to move around the plane etc

Select the little film icon at the top of the screen, select your trk and begin playback.

I hope this is what you are asking anyway :)

Cheers

Rod

Vitae elit Brevior

#5 Agent86

Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 17 July 2015 - 20:39

From my experiences with trk, you can already do what you want. Once you start the replay you can switch views using the F keys and use the mouse to move around the plane etc

Select the little film icon at the top of the screen, select your trk and begin playback.

Cheers

Rod

Yep, What O_Rod said   :icon_e_wink:

Sorry About That                                                           

#6 yun

yun

Posted 17 July 2015 - 21:33

Cheers

Rod

I'm asking how to cut the track. not how to switch the views!

#7 Agent86

Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 17 July 2015 - 22:02

Have you tried the edit button from the trk viewing screen ?

Sorry About That                                                           

#8 yun

yun

Posted 18 July 2015 - 00:56

Have you tried the edit button from the trk viewing screen ?

It doesn't do that.

#9 Agent86

Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:44

OK, then try Chief's recommendation (Fraps). record the trk, then you can cut it like you want.  :icon_e_salute:

Sorry About That                                                           

#10 yun

yun

Posted 18 July 2015 - 02:59

[off-topic removed, as an alternative to locking the thread]

#11 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 18 July 2015 - 03:29

5burla-provocacion.gif

#12 O_Rod

O_Rod
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 July 2015 - 06:24

I have to agree with Demon,

you asked how to cut a track, Chief rightly assumed you wanted to edit and gave you the answer, I acted on what you said in response to that and gave you another answer.  Perhaps our idea's based on your use of the words 'cut a track' were not what you wanted but copping an attitude with people who are only trying to help won't win you any friends or ensure anyone will bother to respond to any future requests for help.

If the answer to your question isn't what you are after, reword the question.

Cheers

Rod

Vitae elit Brevior

#13 yun

yun

Posted 18 July 2015 - 11:57

I know that the word "cut" has several meanings. And I explained in details what I need in the very first message.

No,  edit mode doesn't allow to change the length. No, Ctrl-R (start/end saving a track) doesn't work in playback. I tried all obvious solutions before asking. 

Again, if there is no standard tool, do anybody know if trk format used in the game is documented? If I knew it, I could write a tool to cut it from given time to given time myself.

#14 Agent86

Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 18 July 2015 - 14:18

5burla-provocacion.gif

Sorry About That                                                           

#15 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud

Posted 18 July 2015 - 20:20

Then to answer your question based on you comments, NO you can not edit a track in game or out of game unless you record it first. Thus you cannot edit/cut a track, that I know of.

Chief

G5fCmYF.png

#16 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:17

Ok...

The way I read it, yun wants to edit the track file itself; in example, hit record button as soon as he sees the target to not miss anything, then out if 20 minutes track of whole engagement leave 30 second track of him shooting down the target.

I'd like to know how to do that, too, tracks can take lots of space and I tend to set game on "keep recording" in case something happens, then end up with 10 minutes of track with one minute of interest.

Demon's answer - record a new track while watching the old one, then delete the old one to save the space when you're sure new track has what you want - seems to solve this problem. I'll need to check it out myself.

Yun - if four people (not random Joes in this case, too) all misread your post the same way, it does mean you post is not as unambiguous as you believe, and extra explanation is needed, no hard feelings. BoS sales could be much better if some people out there were adhering to this rule  :icon_e_deadman: .

I am leaving this thread open in case someone comes up with working solution to yun's problem, but please keep the tone respectful.

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#17 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:27

Hi Yun. Salute!

I know how you feel, and well the forum can get a bit bent out of shape when people ask questions which are a bit abstract or obtuse.

Just smile and wave!

On the track thing, I totally understand where you are coming from in regards to "trimming" a flight track.

The track playback concept is really cool and I had never seen this kind of thing beforemigrating to RoF.

However I was a left bit underwhelmed by the lack of tools for manipulating them.

(Cue the flame thrower)

A LOOP function on track play back would  be AWESOME.  little in/out points on the time line etc.

(but the way the track reloads every time you play it is, well, something...)

and basic flight track editing tools. Which is what you are after I think.

If you ever make a widget for trimming a flight track I would be happy to make a donation for a copy.

Salute!

-

Captured again!

#18 yun

yun

Posted 19 July 2015 - 13:27

I marked my answers in red.

The way I read it, yun wants to edit the track file itself; in example, hit record button as soon as he sees the target to not miss anything, then out if 20 minutes track of whole engagement leave 30 second track of him shooting down the target.

Correct. And I explained in the first message: I want to shorten my trk (remove part of it). [off-topic removed, as an alternative to locking the thread]

#19 yun

yun

Posted 19 July 2015 - 13:49

Hi Yun. Salute!

I know how you feel, and well the forum can get a bit bent out of shape when people ask questions which are a bit abstract or obtuse.

Just smile and wave!

On the track thing, I totally understand where you are coming from in regards to "trimming" a flight track.

The track playback concept is really cool and I had never seen this kind of thing beforemigrating to RoF.

However I was a left bit underwhelmed by the lack of tools for manipulating them.

(Cue the flame thrower)

A LOOP function on track play back would  be AWESOME.  little in/out points on the time line etc.

(but the way the track reloads every time you play it is, well, something...)

and basic flight track editing tools. Which is what you are after I think.

If you ever make a widget for trimming a flight track I would be happy to make a donation for a copy.

Salute!

Salute, Plank! Didn't you try IL-2 series? It has the same feature (and even with loop option) and the same problem. They also call their track files trk (and ntrk), but both formats are different from the RoF's. Actuary, it surprises me badly that such an obvious and needful thing - a tool for removing unnecessary parts from the track - is not done in either game.

As I've said, I could write my own tool (with a very simple interface - enter start and end times and get the new file) if only I knew the file format. But if the developers keep it undocumented, there is no way. Do you know if they still continue updating the game? Maybe we should write a petition to them to make such tool or add this option to track edit mode (which currently allows only to change views and is rather useless 'cause you can switch views in playback mode as well).

#20 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 19 July 2015 - 22:18

My Dear Yun. 

Ciggarette?

Help yourself to the Scotch.

If you you stumble around the forum you will find many discussions

(some new some old and some that will never die..) about the game

and what it should do and what it shouldn't do etc.

This might give you an indication of how likely a widget might get

added to the game. (slight,  I would say)

I escaped from Chenarus/Taviana and ARMA2 (loads of character controls etc)

(this is my first in depth flying game, though flying the Ah-6J Little Bird in ARMA

was a hoot. (love that little guy and it's  miniguns...) No track recorder but.

I think moding the Track viewer OR even making a bespoke one would be insane

and a really really good project, However you might have an up hill battle getting the

required info.. (it's all hush hush I am afraid from what I have heard)

The last update came out a few months back.  What they updated I have no idea.

(I am on holiday from playing games until the nurse gives me back my gear)

A petition might look good in the forum but probably not have the clout you

might be expecting. A well thought out advertorial might have more impact.

Right, I think I have said enough.

Don't stop with the ideas though, they make the techno-world go round! :)

Salute!

PS. Trimming a Flight track to the required selection (lets say, a tidy barrel roll in an N.11)

and then creating a library of ACM's which then could be made available to the RoF society ....

That's where the magic is I think, and loop it to really study it's form.

-

Captured again!

#21 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 19 July 2015 - 22:48

5burla-provocacion.gif

#22 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 19 July 2015 - 23:01

Dear NFF demon.

Please be backing up your shouting and .gif attack and let the chap have a moment to reflect.

I have no problem with his topic and as you can see am having a cordial conversation

with him on it. I suggest you try a similar approach.

Good to see that you have indeed actually imparted some relevant info:

"You need the GAME ENGINE to play/edit the trk."

That's a good point.  What that really means I am not sure but it does mean something.

[removed, as an alternative to locking the thread]

Good day.

Plank.

-

Captured again!

#23 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud

Posted 19 July 2015 - 23:24

Yun, I'm curious. What other game, if any, has an in game track editor that you know of? I'm just curious. Normally as far as I'm aware of, this can only be done with and external video editing program. Now with this said I do not know of any video editing software that will edit the RAW tracks as they come out of the game.

Chief

G5fCmYF.png

#24 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 19 July 2015 - 23:36

It is visible that nobody here knows if solution to Yun's question even exists. Instead the thread is turning to discussion of hurt feelings of people involved, and I was really close to locking it already. I'm deleting off-topic content that may turn thread into shouting contest instead; let's try to have civil discussion about tracks and what can be done with them instead.

Now go and be respectful to each other.

What other game, if any, has an in game track editor that you know of? I'm just curious. Normally as far as I'm aware of this can only be done with and external video editing program. Now with this said I do not know of any video editing software that will edit the RAW tracks as they come out of the game.

Chief

Notice that if you play RoF track and want to go back to moment you have already watched, it processes the track form offset 0:00 before letting you watch. So the tracks can't even be jumped freely from offset to earlier offset; later offsets are dependent on earlier content, which makes triming them even less likely.

Forum moderator.

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#25 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:08

Ok, I have locked the thread because posters have clearly violated my earlier

I am leaving this thread open in case someone comes up with working solution to yun's problem, but please keep the tone respectful.

request, but was contacted and convinced that is can be salvaged. So I am trimming all the personal attacks I see instead from the posts, and leave it back open. If you want to know why part of your post was deleted, the answer is "to prevent trolls from answering to it and ruining the discussion"

Back to the Chief's and Demon's posts, the tracks indeed seem to use game engine - they tell game what the situations of planes involved is, and the engine "reflies" the scenes. Again, notice that if you want to jump to other offset, game processes all the moments in the track - forward from where you were if you go to later offset, forward from beginning of the track if you choose earlier offset. By the look of this, the beginning of the track contains the "starting" situation, and rest of the track just tracks changes from previous moment. So, making a new track wouldn't be as simple as "go to moment X and cut" - more like "Go to starting situation at moment zero, use the game engine to fly the planes through changes until you reach moment X, save the moment X as new starting situation, copy the changes from moment X on to new track. 

Now, the game engine and flight physics involved are, IIRC, trade secret of the 777. It makes their simulations work. 777 are using the same engine in their current WW2 sims (track mechanism included), so they are not going to share that, whether they support Rise of Flight or not. Anyway, this question should go to developers (BoS forum is where you can find them these days...)  

Forum moderator.

#26 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:10

Phew that was a close shave.

Dear chaps, to recap:

Yun started this thread with good intent.

Then things got a bit out of hand.

No one person is at fault.

Can we all try to keep on topic and see where this thread goes.

(yes I did ask for a review of the lock, and our kind mod was swayed (Salute!), please do not waste this opportunity)

I would hazard this guess:

any more posts which are not of a constructive fashion will get this thread locked.

Please bear this in mind when reading and replying.

and now, Ladies and Gent's, it's over to you:

Salute!

PS. I'm all for loop points in the track playback widget. That would be really really cool.

-

Captured again!

#27 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:16

5burla-provocacion.gif

#28 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 21 July 2015 - 13:14

Dear Demon,

You are quite right!  :)

There is no software developers kit.  (well there is but it not in the wild)

A trim and export, with new filename function, might be useful.

Loop points might also be useful too, or just downright fun!

It's good to think about these things from time to time.

and I am glad for people like Yun who want to make tools.

Tools make the world go round.  Tools are neat. 

To wit:

I bought a nice pair of old electrical workers pliers the other day for 3 NZD from

a recycling shop. Took them home and then looked at them properly.

Crescent brand. Like my 6" shifter. Antique (?) and very good quality.

I was chuffed. In almost brand new condition.

https://home.comcast...l.html#linemans

That's them! oooh... faint....

My warmest regards

Plank.

-

Captured again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users