- - - - -

Take the old girl out for a spin

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jollyreaperc2o5c

jollyreaperc2o5c

Posted 20 June 2015 - 18:05

Dear 777 and pilot friends.
   I love your planes, your water so inviting, your sun so blinding, your cool waving grasses as my spirit ascends to heaven after a prang. I love chugging away at half throttle over the rooftops of Clochemerle, French girls waving from gothic facaded buildings as I fly into the sunset. I could just live in that world that you've created. Now we pilots are vain fellows, just look me in the eye and tell me there's no-one in this world you'd like to impress. Which brings me to my main subject, that of passenger rides and head mounted displays. Hopefully the likes of oculus rift and claire22M will get their acts together and HMDs will be affordable and available and not require a computer like the one in the 1957 film 'Forbidden Planet' to run them. It occurs to me that if panning and shifting of pilot view was available in record/playback edit mode as is the external view then you could give someone the ride of their life as a passenger in a pre-recorded video. The fact that they would be free to look about in any direction in 3d while enjoying the ride would make it seem like a live experience and especially thrilling to an untutored person. So how about it 777, how much would it take to fix?
        Yours Sincerely    Paul Wright

#2 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 20 June 2015 - 18:14

First Welcome to Rise of Flight Paul. And yes RoF is a grand game/flight simulator that many of us have enjoyed for some time now. With that note if any of us here or at New Wings can be of any help, just ask. As for the Oculus Rift there are several discussions in these forums on that subject. However IF I remember correctly due to RoF being a Direct X9 build it's unlikely that Oculus Rift, which id Direct X10 and above, will be seen for this product. But never say never. As for the rest, I have no idea on that.

Chief

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#3 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 20 June 2015 - 18:18

Correct me if wrong, but thought some guy(s) got it to work, somewhat, with the 1st gen OR?

#4 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 20 June 2015 - 19:39

Just checked out:  http://vrunion.com/

and almost laughed my false teeth out. at the marketing splash.

a cross between TG's "Brazil" and the Bradford kitchenettes new electrowave video. (imho)

Nice creative/descriptive writing JollyReaper by the way. Good show!

I thought you could unlock the pilot head view in track play back???? Never done it though. Too busy crashing...

Sweet!

-

Captured again!

#5 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:14

Correct me if wrong, but thought some guy(s) got it to work, somewhat, with the 1st gen OR?

You may be right Bandy. I do remember that in the early stages of Oculus before they abandoned DX9 that someone did get it to work. But as for a future with RoF, I doubt it unless 777 raises the bar to at lest DX10 or Oculus lowers it.

Just checked out:  http://vrunion.com/

and almost laughed my false teeth out. at the marketing splash.

a cross between TG's "Brazil" and the Bradford kitchenettes new electrowave video. (imho)

Nice creative/descriptive writing JollyReaper by the way. Good show!

I thought you could unlock the pilot head view in track play back???? Never done it though. Too busy crashing...

Sweet!

Other than the humorous page you posted, which isn't Oculus Rift, I have no idea what you going on about. Sorry ...

Chief

G5fCmYF.png

#6 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:08

Yes, I suppose that did come across as a bit cryptic.

Para 1 is about the the Vr headset made by Union.

Sentance 1 is a complimnet to the OP on writing skill.

Sentance 2 is a coment regarding a point raised by OP:

"It occurs to me that if panning and shifting of pilot view was available in record/playback edit mode

as is the external view then you could give someone the ride of their life as a passenger in a pre-recorded video"

I was assuming that the OP was hoping you could "look around" while in track play back as the pilot.... I might be wrong

Hope that clears up any confusion!

Salute!

Plank.

-

Captured again!

#7 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud

Posted 24 June 2015 - 16:36

Thanks Plank .... I understand now .... Yes, it would be nice and I admit that I do not know enough about the mechanics of the RoF engine but I do have my serious doubts that if it requires a rewrite of any code that they would undertake it at this stage. Note I said I had my serious doubt and did not say they would not. I can not foresee what these companies will or will not do. 

Chief

G5fCmYF.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users