Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Rise of Flight Max Speeds and Altitude Performance Chart - 2015

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#81 Whiskey31180

Whiskey31180

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:44

The Halberstadt cl.ii is the German plane in RoF which FM seems most off from Quotes and many descriptions of ist own and enemy wwi pilots !

The Roland C.II is much better in a Dogfight than the Halberstadt cl.II in RoF!

The description of Caracteristics for the Halberstadt cl.II on the RoF shop is very close to the Quotes I read about it, but has almost nothing in commen with its FM in RoF.

The topspeed of the D.IIIau  in RoF is close to the expected Speed for the "real " version with D.IIIa engine. thhat´s odd but ok,... can use the D.IIIau in RoF as the more realistic performing Halbestadt cl.II.

The topspeed of the real D.IIIau Version was propably much closer to 182-184km/h.

why do i come to this adjucates guess ? ... The later Halberstadt cl.iv had the same wings and very close the same all up weight as the cl.II.

The Halberstadt Cl.IV was a bit more manouverable than the Cl.II but used the same D.IIIau engine and reached

186 km/h at sealevel.

But all that is not the main thing which dosn´t seem to match the performance of the original !

The Halberstadt cl.II had a really good turnrate cause of its relative low wingload and good weight/power ratio.

( Thats was the main reason for developing the CL- Fighterclass!)

In RoF it is realitve nimble but looses speed very fast in a turn.

Its realtive bad sustained turnrate is unrealistic compared to Roland C.II

( of 1916 !) and Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter and does not correspondend in any way even with the Quotes on RoF shop! 

For this reasons, in my opinion its physical and aerodynamical the most unrealistic FM of RoF.

#82 =CFC=Conky

=CFC=Conky
  • LocationWhistler, BC

Posted 19 July 2015 - 21:36

Hello all,

This is an interesting discussion. I'm currently reading a book about 1 Fighter Wing RAAF and their operations against the IJN and IJA over the Darwin area. At the time they were operating Spit VC's with the Merlin 46 engine. They were supposed to be about 20knots faster than the A6M Models 22 & 32 they were up against. Surprisingly, this speed advantage was considered tactically insignificant since the advantage always went to the aircraft at the higher altitude, at least according to the conventional wisdom at the time and those guys were doing it for a living.

The speed differences between the kites in RoF, even after the latest fm changes, are in many cases close enough to not matter, if you take altitude advantage into account.

Further, almost all the Spitfires that were shot down were not hit while dogfighting, but were victims of a bounce, so even though the IJN & IJA kites were more maneuverable though slower, and their pilots highly proficient in aerobatics at this point in the war, most of their victories came from conventional surprise attacks, not fancy flying.

I realize this will make me a heretic in the eyes of many here, so flame away! :P

Good hunting,

CFC_Conky

#83 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 19 July 2015 - 23:57

I'm afraid it rather does not match the preferred flying style in RoF MP - most of players will stay in fight much longer than they would if afraid of their life, so tactics and typical situations differ. A historical pilot who failed a bounce would consider disengaging while he has upper hand, ours often stay on targets six. 

A lot of kills happen when victim is trying to disengage from a turnfight. That's why machines like Albatros, which maintains good speed while turning, or ones that can accelerate quickly to dive away safely, or pursue disengaging enemy, are lifesavers and ace makers. From my limited experience with Dr.I, I can outturn my opponents and damage their engines... then they will run away, unless some Albatros pilot runs them down and steals my kill. 

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#84 Chill31

Chill31

Posted 27 July 2015 - 18:27

Seawolf,

I think this is what you wanted.  Couldn't figure out how to attach it in PM

Attached Files

#85 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 27 July 2015 - 22:58

The speed differences between the kites in RoF, even after the latest fm changes, are in many cases close enough to not matter, if you take altitude advantage into account.

I realize this will make me a heretic in the eyes of many here, so flame away! :P

Good hunting,

No flaming here... I couldn't agree more. If folks could grasp that gravity is a far stronger force than engine-thrust then the battle to understand aerodynamics is half won.

Cheers.

#86 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:37

Seawolf,

I think this is what you wanted.  Couldn't figure out how to attach it in PM

Awesome Chill! Some planes don't have the climb test but there is the data for the Camel and the Pup, two planes changed with the patch. The Camel follows a tad below the Fokker D.VIII I tested in my other topic of climb rates.

Thanks a lot,

"There will be honor enough for us all."

#87 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:00

No flaming here... I couldn't agree more. If folks could grasp that gravity is a far stronger force than engine-thrust then the battle to understand aerodynamics is half won.

Cheers.

One of the great divides in between Sunday drivers and rookies from effective pilots is just the ability to use power / thrust. It is a difference in between live and death in combat and I sense it right the way, in the first seconds of the combat, if I am facing a rookie or a veteran just by observing how the opponent uses his thrust.

Pilots who only spin and flip like a yo-yo get shot down pretty quick. Regarding speed alone, this was the grudge of every WWI pilot. Speed mattered a great deal and I have not seen anything to prove me wrong ingame. 

This I say regarding competitive flying. 

"There will be honor enough for us all."

#88 Chill31

Chill31

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:39

Speed vs Power

Attached Files

#89 RocketTurtle

RocketTurtle

Posted 17 October 2015 - 21:50

I'm afraid it rather does not match the preferred flying style in RoF MP - most of players will stay in fight much longer than they would if afraid of their life, so tactics and typical situations differ. A historical pilot who failed a bounce would consider disengaging while he has upper hand, ours often stay on targets six. 

A lot of kills happen when victim is trying to disengage from a turnfight. That's why machines like Albatros, which maintains good speed while turning, or ones that can accelerate quickly to dive away safely, or pursue disengaging enemy, are lifesavers and ace makers. From my limited experience with Dr.I, I can outturn my opponents and damage their engines... then they will run away, unless some Albatros pilot runs them down and steals my kill. 

Sorry if this is considered a necro.

This is true, but the speeds are so similar for most aircraft that it doesn't matter.

For example, I was caught in a situation where I had to run from a Dr. 1 on the deck in my SPAD 13. The problem is, I'm moving in a straight, predictable path. Even though I'm match faster, I'm such an easy target the Dr. 1 had no problem pumping a few rounds into my pilot.

Unless you're able to dive away (And I consider making an opponent dive a victory anyways, you've forced them to give up an advantage they may have had against friendlies, and if you're really dedicated to that pilot, you can simply wait for him to bleed the energy he gained and bounce him again) , or have a large energy advantage, an extra 20 mph won't save you, in my experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users