Photo
- - - - -

store addons and steam vs non-steam versions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 luckyluca

luckyluca

Posted 31 May 2015 - 21:59

Hi, just a quick question from a newbye.

I recently purchased the channel edition on steam. I'm planning to take advantage of the sale and purchase individual planes for the rof store tomorrow.

Would store addons work on the steam version of the game?

I believe the would considering that both steam and non-steam versions of the game share the same user account. ..or at least I suspect I could just uninstall the steam version and run the rof installer and all purchases would show up including the steam puchases.

please let me know

Many thanks

luca

#2 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 31 May 2015 - 22:41

Some of the folks who have tried both the Steam and non-Steam versions might have better info (I've never used the Steam version), but based on what I recall of the posts on the topic I don't believe that there's any way to mix Steam-bought and RoF Store-bought content on the same account.  Thus, I believe that if you buy some RoF store planes, after having bought the Steam Channel Battles version, you won't be able to use those new planes on your Steam Channel version.  I think you can have both a Steam and a non-steam account, and switch back and forth between them from time to time, so you would be able to use all the content you purchased, but that seems to be kind of a hassle and personally I think I'd rather have all my RoF content available on one/the same RoF account.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#3 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 31 May 2015 - 23:42

No, it won't work. Steam and non-steam programs are identical, but information on your purchases are stored on your account (buying planes "unlocks" them for your account so you can access them when logged in). If your account has been initiated with plane purchased from steam, it won't accept store planes, and vice versa.

I think trying to buy plane in store will send you to steam store page of DLC containing that plane. anyway.

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#4 luckyluca

luckyluca

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:59

No, it won't work. Steam and non-steam programs are identical, but information on your purchases are stored on your account (buying planes "unlocks" them for your account so you can access them when logged in). If your account has been initiated with plane purchased from steam, it won't accept store planes, and vice versa.
I think trying to buy plane in store will send you to steam store page of DLC containing that plane. anyway.

thanks but i'm still a little confused:
my account was existing and active as demo with the three free aircrafts long before I added the steam channel edition cdkey.
since registeing the channel cdkey when i run the nonsteam game i can see the channel map + channel aircrafts as if they were purchased at the rof store. i don't understand how purchasing additional planes from the store would be any different.

..or are you saying that my account has been changed the moment i entered a steam key to not accept rof store purchases any more?

#5 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:38

..or are you saying that my account has been changed the moment i entered a steam key to not accept rof store purchases any more?

That exactly. The first payware content you add to free account marks it as either steam or non-steam type. After you've entered the CD-key  form steam Channel Battles, your account became steam-type, and will not let you buy planes outside steam. If you had bought planes in store for your free account, steam CD-keys wouldn't work with that account, either.

IIRC it was explicit demand from Valve to not let customers buy from both shops at once, to prevent exactly what you are trying :(.

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#6 luckyluca

luckyluca

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:57

That exactly. The fires payware content you add to free account marks it as either steam or non-steam type. After you've entered the CD-key  form steam Channel Battles, your account became steam-type, and will not let you buy planes outside steam. If you had bought planes in store for your free account, steam CD-keys wouldn't work with that account, either.

IIRC it was explicit demand from Valve to not let customers buy from both shops at once, to prevent exactly what you are trying :(.

gotcha.

Thanks for explaining it to me, I'll pick up some more steam dlc's then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users