- - - - -

Roger That! A Beginner's Guide to Teamspeak

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 May 2015 - 22:34

In today’s flight sim world, communication is vital. This is true whether you and your damaged recon are trying to get home alive as you desperately fly down in the weeds on Wargrounds or whether you are trying to round up some teammates to sally forth into the wild skies of Aces Falling. Very true! That is what the in-game chat is for! you might think if you are anything like me when I first started. I still think that way – somewhat. Chat is better than simply no communication at all, and it fills the need fairly well. That given however, aren’t there times when chat seems to be more bother than it’s worth? We’ve all seen these sorts of chat streams before:
Chat user for Allies: ”Hi everybody! So what is going on toda-”
[Kill message appears]
Baron von Richthofen shot down Chat user.
Chat user has been killed.
Chat user for Allies: “Argh! Death by typing!”

Or what about trying to help out the guy who needs to reprogram his joystick settings over the chat? This becomes both time-consuming and frustrating…not to mention your spelling and grammar goes down the drain as your time on chat extends longer. :icon_e_deadman: Isn’t there a better way to do this?
That, my friends, is where Teamspeak comes in!

Teamspeak is a program that works rather like your telephone does. You punch in the desired server IP address, and voila! you are able to talk to whoever else is on that channel. As Teamspeak continues to grow in popularity, it is a good idea to be familiar with it and to know how to use it. In fact, one common question ROF squadrons ask of potential recruits is “Do you have teamspeak and a working microphone?” Well never fear! After reading this article, even if you’re not exactly a technological wizard, you’ll know all you need to know to get started with Teamspeak. ;) Ready? Here we go! :D

NOTE: Since I am only familiar with Windows operating systems, I am only going to cover how to run Teamspeak from Windows platforms. Sorry Mac users. :mellow:

ANOTHER NOTE: To help readers, I've included screenshots in my article. If you want to have a closer look at any of them, simply click to enlarge. :)

Installation and Initial Setup

First of all, you are going to need a microphone that works with your PC. You can have one that either is a standalone mic or one that is attached to a gaming headset. I would personally recommend the Creative Fatal1ty gaming headset. I own 2 of them that my brother and I use for Teamspeak and we have not had any issues with these little beauties. You can get them for about $25 each on Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.co...sl_6f5k2w4xub_b

Next, you need to go to Teamspeak’s webpage to download the program. Click on the link below to go there:
http://www.teamspeak...?page=downloads

Once you’re there, look under Windows and find the two download links “Client 32-bit” and “Client 64-bit” and download the correct one for your computer.

NOTE: If you don’t know what bit system you are running, go to your desktop. Hit the “start” button (the windows button), right click on “computer” and select properties. A page called “system” will pop up with information about your PC. (You can also find this page by simply typing "system" into the search bar of your start menu.) There you can find whether your system is a 32 or 64-bit operating system as shown in the photo below:

Attached File  bit type system.png   33.95KB   4 downloads

After downloading and installing Teamspeak Client, right click the Teamspeak desktop icon and select “run as administrator”.

NOTE: Always remember to run Teamspeak as administrator. This fixes problems such as no one being able to hear you speaking when you are in-game.

After you have opened Teamspeak up for the first time, you will see an interface that looks like this:

Attached File  Teamspeak overview.png   28.75KB   1 downloads

Since this is your first time with Teamspeak, a popup window like this should also come up:

Attached File  TeamspeakNewSetup1.png   33.61KB   4 downloads

Here, you can set your nickname. This is the name that will be displayed whenever you enter a channel. For simplicity’s sake, it is best that you use the same name that you use in-game. (I.E. since my multiplayer handle is “JG1_Hotlead_J10", that is also my teamspeak nickname.) 

After you’ve put in your nickname, the next thing you'll want to do is configure your microphone settings. On the toolbar at the top, click “settings”. A drop-down menu will appear. Select “options” from this menu to open up the options interface. Once you are there, select the "capture" tab on the lefthand sidebar menu. You will then see this screen:

Attached File  TeamspeakNewSetup2b.png   34.75KB   3 downloads

Here, you can choose either “voice activation detection” (the microphone is always on), "continuous transmission" (like "voice activation detection, only much more sensitive), or “push to talk” (the microphone is only on when you push an assigned hotkey). I prefer “push to talk” because then I am in control of what other people on my channel hear. If you are using “voice activation detection” then whatever happens in your room other people on Teamspeak will hear: door slams, washing machines, you sneezing… you get the picture. :icon_e_biggrin:

You can select any hotkey you want to be your “talk” button. You can even assign one of your joystick buttons. As you can see, I have V for “voice” assigned.

NOTE: If you follow my setup and use “V”, then you will need to reprogram the bombsight button in ROF, since that is by default also “V”. If you don’t, then every time you push your hotkey in ROF, you will be taken to bombsight view. Not much fun lol. :icon_lol:

Attached File  TeamspeakNewSetup3.png   35.25KB   0 downloads

Attached File  TeamspeakNewSetup4.png   35.67KB   0 downloads

Once you’ve selected your push to talk hotkey, you have the option to test your microphone. As shown in the screenshots above, simply hit the "begin test" button in the middle of the menu, then hold down your hotkey and test speaking into your microphone. You should hear yourself on the speakers and see the sound bar responding to your voice. If nothing happens, then there’s something wrong with your setup. One common “oopsie” is to have the mic on your headset switched off. On my headsets, there is an “on/off” switch for my mic. Often the problem will be something as simple as me forgetting to turn it on. :rolleyes:

Finding and Connecting to Channels

Now that you have all the basic settings done, you are ready to connect to a channel!

Attached File  Teamspeak connect to channel.png   11.99KB   0 downloads

On the toolbar at the top, click “connections” and then select “connect”. A window will appear where you can put in the IP address of the server you are trying to connect to. There is also a smaller box to the lower right where you can put in a password, if the server requires one. After you have put in the required information (make sure you typed the IP address and password correctly!), hit the “connect” button on the bottom.

Attached File  Teamspeak sub channels.png   58.48KB   0 downloads

Often, Teamspeak channels will have sub-channels. Switching which sub-channel you are in is simple. Just double-click the sub-channel you want to enter and you will be moved there.

Once you’ve got Teamspeak up and running, you can launch ROF (or whatever game you are playing) and you should still be able to hear people in your channel talking.

Final Notes

Attached File  ROF audio settings.png   243.45KB   2 downloads

NOTE: One thing I have found out is that when you are flying in ROF, the noise of your plane’s engine can drown out anything your teammates try to say over Teamspeak. The solution to this annoyance isn’t complicated. All you have to do is turn down ROF’s in-game volume. To do this, go to “options” and select the “audio” tab. I have my in-game volume set to about 5%.

ANOTHER NOTE: When I first started using Teamspeak, I was under the delusion that if I had started ROF already and wanted to use Teamspeak, I would have to first exit out of ROF in order to launch Teamspeak. This led to some awkward conversations over chat…
Teamspeak user: “Hey do you want to hop on TS with us?”
Me: “Can’t just yet…in the middle of a sortie.”
Teamspeak user: “?”

The truth of the matter is, you can access Teamspeak even while ROF is running! All you have to do is hit “Alt + Tab” and you will be taken back to the desktop, where you can start and run Teamspeak normally. After this is done, you can just click the ROF icon on the bottom toolbar of your desktop to re-enter the game.

And that is all you need to know to get started with Teamspeak! :icon_e_wink: If you have any questions, feel free to post them below and I will try to help. :icon_e_smile:

S!
HotleadColdfeet (JG1_Hotlead_J10 online)

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

fcpq25c.jpg

#2 Allegra

Allegra
  • LocationThe Land Down Under

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:02

Hey HlCf

I learned a lot here! Not only about TS, but also about the Alt TAB buttons - never knew that...how embarrassing! :icon_eek:

Two thumbs up from The Land Down Under. :icon_e_salute:

Cheers

Edit: I actually think this should be pinned.

My Avatar is of an Albatros replica from Old Rhinebeck, NY.

#3 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:48

Edit: I actually think this should be pinned.

Actually, you are right. Pinned. Now please write more :).

What should follow in my opinion is guide "where and how to find people to speak to" - the TS servers, the default TS channels for RoF servers, the squadrons that are OK with people joining their channels... I admit I know very little beyond squadrons part. What are the default places to go for Entente / German pilots on Wargrounds / Syndicate, for instance?

I know that many people unfamiliar with TS are reculant to go into channel by themselves and start talking to strangers that probably already know with each other... I know I never came to TS without explicit invitation, just to make sure I'm not intruding. Doubly so for squadrons, these bands of elitist bullies that keep to themselves both on TS and in game and see rest of players as targets  :rolleyes: . In fact, squadrons I've met are people with strong preference to fly together, and they were universally friendly to people who joined them on TS to fly together or learn from them; people who did ask to join TS channel were respected for trying. In time, you will find that these scruples come only from lack of familiarity with TS, and only way to become familiar is to use it...

Forum moderator.

Adjutant, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

"The only thing "full real" around here is the drama. So play in whichever way keeps you online for us to shoot at."(Hrafn_Kolbrandr)

#4 Allegra

Allegra
  • LocationThe Land Down Under

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:19

LOL.

Me thinks HlCf has his work cut out for him for a little while.

You see what happens my friend? Make a great Post and people always want more!

I for one, whole-heartedly agree with Trupobaw.

Congrats on the pin.

Cheers

My Avatar is of an Albatros replica from Old Rhinebeck, NY.

#5 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 22 May 2015 - 17:09

Nice guide, now you need to include information on TS etiquette and general TS norms under different circumstances, like when to just chat away and when it's time for battle comms etc.

#6 MarcoRossolini

MarcoRossolini
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 22 May 2015 - 17:11

In time, you will find that these scruples come only from lack of familiarity with TS, and only way to become familiar is to use it...

I've used Teamspeak (and Ventrilo) for close on 6 years or more. I still get shy and embarrassed when coming onto a new server. But it's always worth remembering. People aren't here to be mean (usually), they're here to relax, have a good time and shoot the crap out of enemy aircraft, nothing more than that really and us humans being social animals, we love doing it with others around. 

#7 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 22 May 2015 - 17:52

Great job! it's very thorough :icon_e_salute:

Hopefully some of the new guys see it and get on TS more often :icon_e_smile:

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

tahhfk.jpg

#8 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 May 2015 - 22:28

Hey, thanks everybody!

Hopefully this information will be useful in getting people to give TS a try. ;) As far as finding a first channel to connect to, I would definitely recommend getting on New Wings' TS channel: 70.42.74.44 (no password). This is a great place to begin and is the first channel I ever tried. If you want to take it a step further, come on over on Tuesday nights to their Tuesday night fly in! It starts around 9pm CDT and often goes long into the night. The Tuesday night fly-in is a great environment to try Teamspeak out for the 1st time. 

Concerning getting on Teamspeak with squadrons, often if you just politely ask to join them on Teamspeak over chat, they will give you their address and let you in. ;)

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

fcpq25c.jpg

#9 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:02

Salute all!

As of the latest updates to Teamspeak, the "setup wizard" has been removed:

http://forum.teamspe...02-SetUp-Wizard

I have updated my article accordingly and replaced all the older screenshots with ones of the latest version of Teamspeak. :)

fcpq25c.jpg

#10 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:30

Teamspeak.....

Great guide Hotlead, was a lot of work.

:icon_e_salute:

#11 J2_Nader

J2_Nader
  • LocationWest Virginia, USA

Posted 06 April 2017 - 14:55

This is really great HLCF. I had so many questions as to how to get this up and running last night when I came across this valuable resource.

S!

#12 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 07 April 2017 - 14:03

This is really great HLCF. I had so many questions as to how to get this up and running last night when I came across this valuable resource.

S!

Thanks Nader! Glad it helped. :)

Welcome to the forums, BTW! :D

fcpq25c.jpg

#13 J2_Nader

J2_Nader
  • LocationWest Virginia, USA

Posted 12 April 2017 - 22:00

Thanks HLCF. :icon_e_salute:

I'm finding my way around this great sim and look forward to seeing you in the skies.

#14 GenMarkof007

GenMarkof007

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:43

S! Hotlead,

Great work my friend... we need more post like this to help all new ROF pilots!

Cheers,

Gen ;)

#15 Wilhelm_Reinhard

Wilhelm_Reinhard

Posted 07 November 2017 - 17:50

Excellent guide, Hotlead, thank you!

Wilhelm

#16 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 November 2017 - 00:24

Thanks! I'm glad it's still of use! :D

fcpq25c.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users