Photo
* * * - - 8 votes

Germans have it pretty easy in this game

• Please log in to reply
546 replies to this topic

#41 GenMarkof007

GenMarkof007

Posted 21 April 2015 - 19:14

I never see players on Syndicate server.At what time do you play?

Hi MarkoniSRB,

Usually, on sunday's, Syndicate server offer a VM (vintage missions), and you can have around 30 to 75 peoples on the server.

For now, servers are a bit less, since friday and saturday, Syndicate have the Bloody April event (for 4 weeks in April).

The NW Wargrounds server have around 20-30 peoples on weekends (even more if your lucky!).

I play around 1:00 to 6:00 pm (New York Time Zone).

If you want to see how many people are playing on some of the ROF servers (not all are listed on this page), try this link: http://online.riseofflight.net/

Cheers

Gen

#42 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT
  • LocationDeroche,Britsh Columbia,Canada

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:47

I havent flowen the dolphine much but just starting to, other than its large wing span is it not some what comparable to the dva in speed and massive gun power, it turns fairly good, not a camel or dr1 but not bad. 1 burst from all those guns and I know I take out the ballon and cars from the train, I'm sure it will take down the dva if one would just sit still long enough, Hey bsr how about you sit still for me to see how it works.

#43 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:49

Hey bsr how about you sit still for me to see how it works.

That appears to be the only way you're going to get a kill.

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#44 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:50

so you'll do it?:

#45 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:26

no

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#46 kimmy_yeager

kimmy_yeager

Posted 22 April 2015 - 14:48

I don't care if I get shot down... its a game.  But my MP time is limited and I'd rather be in a fight with *some* hope of at least getting in a few shots.  So when that DVa is circling above the field and I take off in my SE5a if he dives on me (I am low and slow, they are high and fast) I'm not going to fight a losing battle.... wait till the DVa dives, and when they are low enough crash and hopefully next spawn we'll be at a much closer altitude.   Rise and repeat.  Maybe they get bored, maybe my plan works.... but its better than turn fighting an SE5a at 100m for the same result, a crash.

If it sounds like I am empahsizing the fun part I am.  No one will play or buy planes for a game that it not fun to play... even the die hard WWI fans will bail if its not fun to play in thier favorite aircraft. 

I do agree that there are times with a realism servers are pretty full.  Downside is that realism servers are not suited to new pilots and mid level pilots get buy on luck more than skill.  Again, 3-4 ac on teamspeak (like in WWI!) flying better planes (Central) is not what more people want to go up against.  Not much fun flying 2-4:1 so the clans can wipe a map.

I think my main ponts: server ops need to put up sane matchups, 777 needs to get a better (easy) entry level plane for the allies.  If anyone can see fault with that please explain.

#47 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 22 April 2015 - 14:55

777 needs to get a better (easy) entry level plane for the allies

Well Kimmy what are these easy to fly allies planes?

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#48 J2_Jakob

J2_Jakob
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 22 April 2015 - 15:25

So when that DVa is circling above the field and I take off in my SE5a if he dives on me (I am low and slow, they are high and fast) I'm not going to fight a losing battle.... 

What about taking off from another airfield, pick up some alt and go punish that daring D.Va? (Besides, if he's lower than 1,5km, he probably won't be circling there for long anyway...)

Again, 3-4 ac on teamspeak (like in WWI!) flying better planes (Central) is not what more people want to go up against.  Not much fun flying 2-4:1 so the clans can wipe a map.

Flying better (Central) planes? Come on, Kimmy. A pair of SPADs, SE5s or N28s can give ANY central plane a tough time, if flown well. I consider any of them better than anything Centrals have from 2km downwards.

Lone pilot in SE5 can either harrass or run away from anything, if he constantly check surroundings and doesn't do stupid things.

#49 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 22 April 2015 - 16:36

I think my main ponts: server ops need to put up sane matchups, 777 needs to get a better (easy) entry level plane for the allies.  If anyone can see fault with that please explain.

Situation which you describe does not require better entry level plane, but plane capable to engage airborne Albatros straight after takeoff. Again, if Entente had such a plane, the game would devolve to Entente players flying that plane and Central players flying labatros, almost exclusively. 

Entry level plane is needed to lure new players to Entente side, which serves no purpose beyond luring new players to Entente side.

Jacob is right; Albatroses circling over forward field waiting for Entente players to take off are just asking to be dived on. I like to hunt down Albatroses circling low over their own airfield, in DH4 for added challenge, and with good altitude advantage get away with it often enough to call it fun. With a proper scout, climbing to 4000 feet from rear field, you can have your way with them.

quote-it-is-better-that-one-s-customers-

Have you tried HD1, by the way? I prefer the Dolphin myself as the "Entente Albatros", but with balloon gun it looks like plane you've been asking for.

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#50 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT

Posted 22 April 2015 - 19:36

Hey j2 thanks, thats what I was asking about the dolphin, and didnt get an answer, now I did, why is it that plane is not flowen much , I havent went up against an alby yet so not sure how it handels against that plane. I imagine in a coalt dog fight a dr1`would slaughter it. unless you can get a bead on it and crush it with those guns. I love the fire power in that thing.

#51 Ben_Twings

Ben_Twings
  • LocationAlbion

Posted 22 April 2015 - 20:32

Have you tried HD1, by the way? I prefer the Dolphin myself as the "Entente Albatros", but with balloon gun it looks like plane you've been asking for.

Historically additional guns were tried on the HD1 but were found to compromise handling and performance. I'm sure the same would have been true of an Albatros fitted with a 'trophy' Lewis gun, assuming that ever happened which I doubt.  However since that doesn't seem to bother anyone, why not extend the concept and introduce a captured Albatros type in Allied markings?

Polish-infested London

#52 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:21

I'm sure the same would have been true of an Albatros fitted with a 'trophy' Lewis gun, assuming that ever happened which I doubt.  

It did.

#53 Manny_Pfalz

Manny_Pfalz

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:56

Kimmy I really don't know what you are asking for,( I don't know of a allied air craft that is easy to fly and fight) and just maybe the Germans were better at designing aircraft. 

That is ONE possibility. Another possibility is that ROF is heavily weighted in favor of Central planes. It is well documented that the N28 has a higher horsepower to weight ratio than almost any Central plane, and less wing loading, yet bleeds energy in a turn like a stuck pig. Realistic...? Historical...? Pick any Albatross, they can turn on a dime with hardly any energy loss and hang on the prop all afternoon while pointing nearly vertical. Realistic...? Historical...? Show me one account of where shit like that happened in reality. Show me a modern plane with those flight characteristics, let alone a WWI aircraft. What we are asking for is a more realistic flight model for all aircraft. Something that comes closer to the historical record. I realize that will never happen, and I appreciate ROF for what it is, and I am still playing it after all these years, and will probably play it for years to come. But some of you fanboyz really need to get a grip.  

#54 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:27

Hey j2 thanks, thats what I was asking about the dolphin, and didnt get an answer, now I did, why is it that plane is not flowen much , I havent went up against an alby yet so not sure how it handels against that plane. I imagine in a coalt dog fight a dr1`would slaughter it. unless you can get a bead on it and crush it with those guns. I love the fire power in that thing.

It spins easily and spin recovery is counterintuitive. And the cockpit visibility is schisophremic. I suspect that's it isn't flown more. I get slaughtered if I get attacked by Dr.I in it, all right.

Historically additional guns were tried on the HD1 but were found to compromise handling and performance. I'm sure the same would have been true of an Albatros fitted with a 'trophy' Lewis gun, assuming that ever happened which I doubt.  However since that doesn't seem to bother anyone, why not extend the concept and introduce a captured Albatros type in Allied markings?

Historically, most HD1 models were Italian ones armed with two Lewis guns, they liked them better then Spads and used against Austrian top of the line Albatroses with success. Besides, kimmy is asking for game balance, not historical plausibility. 

Forum moderator.

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#55 Ben_Twings

Ben_Twings
  • LocationAlbion

Posted 23 April 2015 - 11:54

It did.

attachicon.gifarmas.58.jpg

That looks like nothing more than a proof-of-concept prototype thrown-together in somebody's shed.

Polish-infested London

#56 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:32

@ Nanny_Pfalz that road goes both ways, show me prof that they didn't. 

#57 kimmy_yeager

kimmy_yeager

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:03

Start at the rear airfield and climb to 4km?  So now I spend all day in a climb???  Rear airfields sometimes also don't have the same planes.

Bull Crap Robin I *never* rage quit.  I'll happily tank into the gound to get a respawn... I'll even laugh at the pilots (DR1 drivers) who, after I tell them REPEATEDLY not to come near me... still do.  So I crash to get to the airfield.  Seems like a legit strageity to me.  This is on a server with icons so they know full well that comeing near me is only a waste of time.  In a realism server I'll just fly straight and level at full speed to try and seperate.  If they shoot me down, oh well, but I *generally* won't drive into the ground then.

As for a good entry level allied fighter that's easy to fly.. don't know... I'm sure there is something out there.  Sadly, even if we came up with the perfect plane, 777 ain't gonna add it anytime soon.

#58 J30_Kaiser

J30_Kaiser
  • LocationTroy, Kansas - USA

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:42

This is not a thread to bait anyone into an arguement... mods please keep this OT.

Last night I flew for about an  hour on the NFF server.. after a horrific start in the Camel (not getting shot down, just a victim of the dreaded spin/stall) I switch to Central.  Now being that I despise the DVa and all who fly it I jumped into the DIII and set off (argueably the same plane).

Carnage ensued.  I easily seperated from Camels and N17s and was able to mostly turn the tables on the Spads.  The N28's were not much of an issue... sniping at 300m+ is still an effective way to get an engine hit.

Before the usual suspects chime in with thier anticipated drivel... my main point is that the Allied planes are much harder to fly and have quirks that (for whatever reason) simply do not have to be dealt with on the German side (mainly the rotart engines).

There was a post that most ppl are playing Central becuase the new FM tweaks.  That may be true for some... but you HAVE TO ADMIT that the Central planes are just so much eaiser to fly.

I know someone will post my stats... I was like .8 k/d  7 kills 8 deaths after 50+ minutes and ranked 4th for the map.  I also managed to push the train about 20m off the track with a side impact.  So yeah... just like in real life.

I think a new plane or two has to be put out on the Allied side to make it fun and reduce the learning curve.  There is no 'albatross' level easy plane on the allied side (again not FM wise, just a solide enrty/mid level plane with an inline engine.. an no, the dolphin ain't it.)

I think that the idea that the German planes fly so much better than the Allied planes is a matter of opinion.  Personally, I think the opposite to be true.  Yes, the radial engines have issues with torque, but that's just the same with the German planes...i.e. the Dr 1.  I can't fly the Dr 1, but I can fly the Camel.  I see this to be true with many planes..  The Allied bombers for instance, take off better, don't "waggle" all over the place, clime better(except for the RE8), etc.   Personally I think that if you can fly one plane better than another has more to do with your true style of flying, reactions, or what ever.  I fly the German planes due to the fact I belong to a squad that does this.  I like the Allied planes, my favorite being the Strutter B.  I also like the Bristol.  They fly well in almost every aspect. 

I just can't help but think the reason so many people fly the German planes is due to the fact they are a little more difficult to 'accurately fly'...for instance, targeting a plane, using the rudder just a tad sends the plane waggling back and forth so you can't hit anything.  Also, the guns on the German planes seem to scatter the rounds much worse than the Allies gun do.  It seems to me that when a plane opens fire on you and the first round either wounds you or 'oils' the engine, REGULARLY, that it would seem apparent that the Allied guns are more accurate....and not by just a little bit.  Of course, there are some people you come across that keep doing exactly the same damage in the same way and in the same first couple of seconds of a fight, and it's always the same people...  Seems a little strange sometimes.  Makes one wonder if it's possible that some pilots could be using cheats of some sort.   I have no idea.

At any rate, to me it appears that this game was designed with just a little bit of prejudice against the German planes...but again, perhaps it's just what "fits you" personally.

Having said that, even when winning a fight, there are always those that jump in and "steal your kill"....and I won't mention any names...but I could.

At any rate, that's my 2 cents worth, for what it's worth.

There is only ONE truth..

#59 J30_Kaiser

J30_Kaiser
  • LocationTroy, Kansas - USA

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:44

The German aircraft are easier to fly but they are slaughtered by properly flown Spads and SE's.  It's very fortunate for the Germans that there are very few people properly flying the Spad and SE.

That's funny.  LOL

There is only ONE truth..

#60 J99=Hardy

J99=Hardy
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:18

Yes, allied and german planes are different, I believe. While allied planes are either extremly good Turn-Fighters or Boom'n-Zoom-Fighters, the germans are more likely allrounders.

Personally I don't like a single allied figther. I'm not into Boom'n-Zoom, so maybe the Camel or Pub are quite OK. But I really like the allies 2-seater, esp. the Brisfit or the Strutter. They're easy to fly and have much more fighter capabilities than the german 2-seaters.

But I guess, it's like it was in WWI. A lot of novice allied pilots died while taking of in a Camel without beeng hit by only one german bullet because Camel is a bitch, esp. to novice pilots. And a lot of german pilots were Boom'n-Zomed by SPADs and S.E.5a, even when they were flown by an average pilot. So, that's the game.

I almost always fly RAF and in the hardest planes (Pup and Camel, sometimes SE5a) and in those planes there is no point of me riding out a bad situation so I crash.  There is no eject button and being fodder is no fun (and part of my point in this post).  I don't expect to win every match, but I try to avoid mismatches (but in a camel/pup there littlerally is no where to run and in an SE5a you can run... but running, while a valid tactic, is not fun).  I will repeatedly ask people not to attack me if they are in a plane that I do not want to flight (Dr1/D7F) but that largely goes ignored so I crash to avoid the unfun part of being fodder.

I could not care less about my stats.. I want to play a fun game... and while with people like J9 it hard to do, I ususally have more good games than not.

@kimmy_yeager, I believe, there are two ways to deal with this:
1st, switch to some arcade like game like World of Warplanes.
2nd, Learn to fly, learn about flight physics, planes and air combat tactics. Choose one aircraft model rather than switching from one to another every 15 minutes. And then, practice, practice, practice. Maybe join a squad. People from Jasta 5 (J5) or Black Haze (BH) e.g. are really nice an helpful.
And don't expect that you're the next Richthofen, Udet or Nungesser within 1 week. It will take month...
When I started in RoF i was beeing shotdown all the time without any chance to get my opponent off of my six. So I joined Jasta 99 and I got some training to improve my combat flying skills. That helped a lot and now, sometimes I'm the guy that is on someone elses six... not very often, but sometimes.

Salute!
J99*Hardy

img_3834.png

#61 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 26 April 2015 - 13:33

The German aircraft are easier to fly but they are slaughtered by properly flown Spads and SE's.  It's very fortunate for the Germans that there are very few people properly flying the Spad and SE.

I saw this comment when someone quoted it.  Regardless of who speaks it, the opinion is 100% true.  Simulated air combat is one of those things where you need to have some skill at it to be entitled to an opinion about aircraft performance, and even that is no guarantee of objectivity.

#62 MarkoniSRB

MarkoniSRB

Posted 26 April 2015 - 19:34

How do you get assist for a kill?I see that there is "Assisted" in Wargrounds statistic.

#63 =CfC=FatherTed

=CfC=FatherTed

Posted 26 April 2015 - 20:59

Simulated air combat is one of those things where you need to have some skill at it to be entitled to an opinion about aircraft performance, and even that is no guarantee of objectivity.

I would venture to suggest that the same is also true of actual air combat.  As I understand it, there is a dearth of objective data for WW1 FMs, and nearly all of our opinions about relative performance are based on subjective reports, which leads me to deduce that we cannot hope to arrive at "true" FMs for RoF.

#64 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 26 April 2015 - 22:04

Unless vintage aviator publishes some  hard data...

Forum moderator.

#65 1PL-Husar

1PL-Husar

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:35

I heard or read many opinions from experienced virtual pilots about Albatrosess unrealistic handling, acceleration, energy retention etc , but not the speed.
I would like to have alb that responds to books which i read. Any way i don't fly them and this not bother me much, i take it like it is now becouse fighting them teach me better discipline and i'm late in this sim.

#66 Hellbender

Hellbender
  • LocationMadrid, Spain (originally Brussels, Belgium)

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:57

If it sounds like I am empahsizing the fun part I am.  No one will play or buy planes for a game that it not fun to play... even the die hard WWI fans will bail if its not fun to play in thier favorite aircraft. 

Personally I don't like a single allied figther. I'm not into Boom'n-Zoom, so maybe the Camel or Pub are quite OK. But I really like the allies 2-seater, esp. the Brisfit or the Strutter. They're easy to fly and have much more fighter capabilities than the german 2-seaters.

There's the crux of the issue, really.

I think that many of you are much more in agreement with kimmy_yeager than your suggestions to "learn how to fly or go to War Thunder" would make it appear at first.

Speaking only of the Albatros (D.III / D.Va), these planes have always been more "likeable" (fun?) to fly than the "harder" allied Boom 'n Zoomers which require patience and discipline to fly. The speed disparity is what gave the SE5a its distinct edge in combat. It still has that edge post-patch, the margin of error has just become smaller.

What should have happened was a slight reduction in maneuverability on the Albs, paired with their increase in speed -- comparable to what happened to the Pfalz D.IIIa's maneuverability, but to a lesser degree. This would have led to a true shift in combat tactics on both sides as the Albatros and SE5a would have become much closer to each other in overall fighting style. In essence: both would have really become TnB / BnZ hybrids. The Albatros still maintaining an edge in maneuverability, and the SE5a maintaining an edge in speed.

Right now the gap between these two is wider than it's ever been before, and it leads to Entente pilots having to display even more patience and discipline than they previously did. You can't expect one side to have all the "fun" and another to do all the "hard work". That is simply unsustainable in the long run.

So please understand that I have to defend kimmy_yeager when I see a statement like this:

Learn to fly, learn about flight physics, planes and air combat tactics.

All I can say to you, Hardy, is: learn to get into Boom 'n Zoom and fly the SE5a from time to time.

Don't expect kimmy_yeager to enjoy things which you don't.

J5_Hellbender

#67 J2_VonGraff

J2_VonGraff
  • LocationCenter of the Universe

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:35

Right now the gap between these two is wider than it's ever been before, and it leads to Entente pilots having to display even more patience and discipline than they previously did. You can't expect one side to have all the "fun" and another to do all the "hard work". That is simply unsustainable in the long run.

Orrrrr, or.....or. Another interpretation.....the game is fairer than ever before, and the folks with the previous advantage are still unhappy. And yes, it is unsustainable for those who liked things the way they were. They must learn to fly better.....or suffer the consequences.

V-Graff

Ps. I don't disagree with you though that the Alby Dva's turn rate perhaps should've been kept the same. ;)

'Flight leader, fuel check - I have "E" gallons sir.'

j2-graff-signature-e1425051735579.jpg

#68 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:40

There's the crux of the issue, really.

I think that many of you are much more in agreement with kimmy_yeager than your suggestions to "learn how to fly or go to War Thunder" would make it appear at first.

Two different things. One can agree that Albatros is to maneuvrable now and further tweeking is needed to solve Albatros problem... And also agree that solving Albatros problem would not solve problem kimmy jäger has... one of other two solutions is needed.

As before, you are mixing a genuine problem with a rant,  giving undue legitimacy to rant along the way.

Forum moderator.

#69 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:48

I have 38 kills in the Spad this month.  I have 1 death in the Spad.  I had a lot of fun and it didn't require any "hard work" at all.  Hopefully I'll be able to sustain this terrible situation to the end of the month.

Free Plank!

#70 Capt.TeddyBear

Capt.TeddyBear

Posted 27 April 2015 - 13:00

Speaking only of the Albatros (D.III / D.Va), these planes have always been more "likeable" (fun?) to fly than the "harder" allied Boom 'n Zoomers which require patience and discipline to fly. The speed disparity is what gave the SE5a its distinct edge in combat. It still has that edge post-patch, the margin of error has just become smaller.

Having flown the Spad 13 a lot before the patch and lot after the patch I have to disagree my figures before and after the patch are identical if not slightly improved.

I am an average pilot and in the Spad 13 this month I have 2.7 kills an hour in November 2.8. In the Albatross DVa I also get 2.7 kills an hour and in the DIII I rock on 3 kills an hour.

The changes to the Albatross's speed have made NO difference to the way I fly the Spad 13, zilch, nada.

As to what is fun. To me the hunt and kill in the Spad is just sooooooo much fun. On the whole a more fun and satisfying than the Albatross.

The Entente pilots have never shown any patience and discipline, nothing has changed i.e. they certainly do not show any more restraint now than before.

Free Krusty & Wodewick!

Verified Gaming JerkGT  

#71 Hellbender

Hellbender

Posted 27 April 2015 - 13:36

Orrrrr, or.....or. Another interpretation.....the game is fairer than ever before, and the folks with the previous advantage are still unhappy. And yes, it is unsustainable for those who liked things the way they were. They must learn to fly better.....or suffer the consequences.

Two different things. One can agree that Albatros is to maneuvrable now and further tweeking is needed to solve Albatros problem... And also agree that solving Albatros problem would not solve problem kimmy jäger has... one of other two solutions is needed.

As before, you are mixing a genuine problem with a rant,  giving undue legitimacy to rant along the way.

You'll have to deal with me ranting about this topic over and over and over and over and over and over again. I'd apologise, just to be polite to you gents, but I'm not sorry in the least.

As much as I've kept pretty quiet in the past about FM problems for the sake of having a peaceful community, I believe now that confronting the players and the developers with the issues at hand is still less damaging to the sim's health in the long run than simply keeping quiet about it.

Now that the Camel / Dr.I status quo is gone (and the Bristol Fighter is almost fixed, if only they would implement g-forces on the gunners), there's simply no way that a single machine on one side should (forgive me the pop culture reference) go sit on the Iron Throne. You know which plane I'm talking about.

What is clear as day to me, is that the patch has polarised the community, both in opinion and in fighting tactics.

You argue that the SE5a is more accurate now because you either need to Boom 'n Zoom or stay home. History says otherwise, but we also have to take McCudden's words with a grain of salt.

That said, if tomorrow I'd be transported back to a fictional 1918, with the planes behaving like they do in Rise of Flight today, but my real actual life at stake, I would thank my lucky stars that the plane I was flying was the SE5a. Heck, even RoF's Nieuport 28, as long as it doesn't shed fabric in a dive or catch fire like the real one did.

Over 99% of my flight time would be spent outside of fights anyway, and the rest of the time would be either running away to safety or attacking with a huge numerical / altitude / energy advantage.

So in terms of simulating how I would personally behave if I were participating in real life WWI combat in an SE5a, Rise of Flight's fictional setting is right on the money. But that's because I'm Bender, a lowly coward, not the great McCudden.

You could say that the discussion ends here, and that asking for anything else is wishing for arcade-style dogfighting, but that is exactly what is wrong right with the community right now. It's this dealing in absolutes and polarising statements like "learn to fly or go to War Thunder" or "all you want is the old Camel / Dr.I status quo back". No, I do not want them back. Yes, no matter how much time I've already spent flying, there's always room to learn. And no, I'm not about to bugger off to War Thunder (only to Kerbal Space Program).

Some planes are easier to fly than others, no doubt. I can't judge kimmy_yeager's fighting style either. Maybe he is trying to turn with his SE5a because he read that McCudden could do it. In that respect, I think kimmy_yeager and McCudden are both wrong. And here it's the great Hellbender who really knows best: reality is more nuanced than fiction.

It's the golden mean between what we had before and what we have now. 777 is so close to getting it right, and that's what's so frustrating about the whole situation. They could literally fix almost everything in one more patch by reducing maneuverability on the Albs. Okay, maybe another patch after that for the g-forces, too.

But I know that the great VonGraff and the great Trupobaw also share my opinion. I don't have a beef with you guys, I'd just hate to see the issue becoming accepted and remaining unfixed forever.

J5_Hellbender

#72 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 27 April 2015 - 13:42

As to what is fun. To me the hunt and kill in the Spad is just sooooooo much fun. On the whole a more fun and satisfying than the Albatross.

Yes. The SPAD is the Millennium Falcon with a propeller.   :) Still, I think all of the ROF planes are a whole lot of fun. When I play ROF, I actually typically spend far more time with the N17, N28, and the DH2, than I do with the SPAD or SE. I might go back to the SPAD and SE, though. I miss the ability to easily outrun the Imperial DR1 TIE Fighters.  ;)

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#73 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 27 April 2015 - 13:43

there's simply no way that a single machine on one side should (forgive me the pop culture reference) go sit on the Iron Throne. You know which plane I'm talking about.

I have no clue what you're talking about.

Free Plank!

#74 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 27 April 2015 - 13:46

It's the golden mean between what we had before and what we have now. 777 is so close to getting it right, and that's what's so frustrating about the whole situation. They could literally fix almost everything in one more patch by reducing maneuverability on the Albs. Okay, maybe another patch after that for the g-forces, too.

It's amazing how we're always just 1 (or 2...) patches away from the perfect WW1 sim...

Free Plank!

#75 Hellbender

Hellbender

Posted 27 April 2015 - 13:59

It's amazing how we're always just 1 (or 2...) patches away from the perfect WW1 sim...

At least we agree there.

Every software product needs regular updates until it reaches its end-of-life.

J5_Hellbender

#76 kimmy_yeager

kimmy_yeager

Posted 27 April 2015 - 14:00

Going back to the original question... the free AC are the DVa which can take on every Allied plane (against turn fighters you can run, against BnZerrs you can out turn them).

You get a Russian (yeah.. that makes sense) N17.  Can turn, but can't run from anything.

You get a Spad, which can sorts outrun, but not turn with anything.

Of the 3 the N17 is the hardest to fly for a new/mid level pilot.

So what do you think the new/mid level pilot will sitch with?  The proven fighter which gets them wins (the DVa) or put up with the N17????  (rarely do I see it flown on maps where it is on) or the SPAD which is on even fewer maps???

This initial selection locks people into the German side... esp if they buy the D7F... there is no reason to fly allied when the D7F is purchased... its a kingmaker.

#77 J2_VonGraff

J2_VonGraff
  • LocationCenter of the Universe

Posted 27 April 2015 - 14:00

But I know that the great VonGraff,

Well.......I usually go by "Von Graff the Magnificent", but I suppose that will do. :D  

V-Graff

'Flight leader, fuel check - I have "E" gallons sir.'

j2-graff-signature-e1425051735579.jpg

#78 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 27 April 2015 - 14:03

Every software product needs regular updates until it reaches its end-of-life.

Guess what stage we have probably reached...

Free Plank!

#79 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 27 April 2015 - 14:08

I have a simple solution the problem,( German have it to easy) remove all German planes from the maps, then you will have balance. 

#80 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 27 April 2015 - 14:09

Bender, were you talking about how the Camel is still pwning the Alby?

Opponent   Sopwith Camel - won  Sopwith Camel - lost    WL
Albatros D.Va                       192                               93     2.1

Free Plank!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users