- - - - -

Gun Turrets

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NakedSquirrel

NakedSquirrel
  • Tester

Posted 12 November 2009 - 17:44

While two-seaters are still in development. I was wondering how the rear gun turret would work for players. Are we going to see a two-part operation (Moving the mount, locking it, and then aiming the gun. Or will it more likely be simplified to a free-flowing gun turret?

I was watching a video on WWI aviation, and I remember seeing a short clip where a rear gunner displayed how he moved and aimed his machine gun. The gunner would use a pull pin to unlock the turret, move the turret, lock it in place, and then aim the gun. The whole manuver was a neat display of acrobatics. It would be neat to have some sort of representation of that in the game. (I'm still looking, but I can't find a video of this on youtube, but I'm sure one of them has a clip like this.)

Here's a picture of a turret. You can see the notches on the side where the elevation is adjusted. The gun does have a little bit of freedom, but the gunner had to muscle the turret around for wider adjustments. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarff_ring

#2 Hereward_Hawker

Hereward_Hawker

Posted 12 November 2009 - 18:00

Good question. I have flied only another game with turrets (IL2) and I wasn't entirely convinced of how was solved there. Probably the question of retaining the plane's controls while being an observer could be another thing to decide (for single player it would be awesome, we cannot tell the pilot where to turn…).

Mmmm…add a photo camera to take recon photos… :roll: An aiming sight and one button to push would be enough. :D And flying straight and levelled under flak can be thought, not to mention the enemy fighters :twisted:

#3 Gimpy117

Gimpy117

Posted 12 November 2009 - 19:17

how's about the mouse…make it tied to the view direction.

#4 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 12 November 2009 - 19:52

Probably the question of retaining the plane's controls while being an observer could be another thing to decide (for single player it would be awesome, we cannot tell the pilot where to turn…).

This is actually something I do not want. I did not like the way IL-2 did the gunner positions at all. I don't want a button that instantly makes me the pilot, then the gunner, etc. For me that kills immersion completely.

In my opinion, you should have to select if you are the pilot or gunner before the flight, and stay that position for the whole flight.

#5 O_Smiladon

O_Smiladon

Posted 13 November 2009 - 00:30

S!

I have to say that i am with Belddyn on this one.

Or something likes this.

Select 2 seater which has two spots available to use. Pilot and Gunner/bombardier.

You choose what position you want, and then wait till someone fills the other spot. If you choose gunner and no one wants to be a pilot then tuff. You don’t go anywhere unless you jump into the pilot seat yourself and take off with no gunner/bombardier.

Nine times out of ten you would find that someone would fill a vacant spot so I don’t think that not filling the positions would be a problem.

Now for the good bit.

You have taken off in your two seater. And you are the pilot and your squad/ teammate or random player has jumped into the other position. You take off; all is good then…..
Fighters are coming in, your mate opens up with his Lewis guns to defend the aircraft, one down, two down, but number three is a problem Bang Bang shots rip past your head shredding canvas and splintering wood, you look around and you see your mate slumped over his gun, blood everywhere. (Now that would look good) And then you see a red DR1 sitting on you six ready to open up with another burst. What do you do?

RAF_Smiladon

#6 NakedSquirrel

NakedSquirrel
  • Tester

Posted 13 November 2009 - 13:42

Probably the question of retaining the plane's controls while being an observer could be another thing to decide (for single player it would be awesome, we cannot tell the pilot where to turn…).

This is actually something I do not want. I did not like the way IL-2 did the gunner positions at all. I don't want a button that instantly makes me the pilot, then the gunner, etc. For me that kills immersion completely.

In my opinion, you should have to select if you are the pilot or gunner before the flight, and stay that position for the whole flight.

I agree with Bleddyn on this one. It is very cheesy in IL2 when players switch from pilot to gunner seats because the flight behavior changes significantly when you switch from a human to AI pilot. Not to mention, the AI pilot would not know what to do if you deviated from the flight path or if you didn't have one programmed in the mission.

The one thing I worry about however is disconnects. IF you are in a two seater and your pilot or gunner looses connection, then what? Does the player vanish from the plane? Will the player be swapped with AI? If the pilot looses connection, does the gunner get to fly the aircraft or is he doomed to go down with the uncontrolled plane.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users