Photo
- - - - -

Stall speeds

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ChaffCutter

ChaffCutter

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:47

I have had a lot of fun 'trying' to nail down the stall speeds of these 10 planes that I have currently. It is tricky - - - when you are used to IL 1946 version with no cockpit view and a flight path marker to help you - - now in RoF I have none of these luxuries.

But really have enjoyed these old babies. I have crashed them up hundreds of times trying to get some sort of a stall speed.

These figures are by no means qualified, but they are a start. Tested them with 10% fuel and empty ammo - -  and then - - tested them with 100% fuel and heaviest ammo/bombs - - to get the range.

Nieuport 17.C1 May 1916 | 75 - 83

Sopwith Camel May 1917 | 77 - 88

S.E.5a June 1917 | 90 -100

Felixstowe F2A    1917 | 100 - 120

Albatross D.Va   Aug 1917  |  90 - 100

Fokker Dr.I   Oct 1917   |   73 - 85

SPAD 13.C1  Oct 1917   |  100 -110

Nieuport 28.C1  Feb 1918  |  95 - 105

Fokker D.VII  Apr 1918    |  80 - 90

Pfalz D.XII  Jul 1918   |   95  -  105

#2 ZachariasX

ZachariasX

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:50

Some say... the D.Va NEVER stalls :icon_lol:

Interesting data though!

Z

#3 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:22

The stall speeds seam a little high, are those power on stalls?

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#4 piecost

piecost

Posted 30 March 2015 - 18:39

Hello Chaffcutter,

Welcome to the forum! I performed some tests a few years ago

http://riseofflight....st-flight-data/

post #16

You might find it interesting to compare to my results. Some of the flight models have changed between my and your tests.Knowing the mass enables CLmax to be calculated (post 22) and combining with testing of corner speed allows load factors to be found posts 51, 59

#5 Manny_Pfalz

Manny_Pfalz

Posted 30 March 2015 - 20:26

Technically, a wing can be stalled at any airspeed. What causes a stall is exceeding the critical angle of attack for that wing.

#6 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 30 March 2015 - 21:42

Technically, a wing can be stalled at any airspeed. What causes a stall is exceeding the critical angle of attack for that wing.

But referring to airplane stall speeds it is usually just below landing speeds. 

#7 ChaffCutter

ChaffCutter

Posted 31 March 2015 - 13:19

The stall speeds seam a little high, are those power on stalls?

Yes, they are real 'safe' stall speeds. Even by my standards a lot of them could be 5 kmh lower.

I am not so much interested in the catastrophic stall speed, more interested in the Vref of when you start to enter the stall zone - or begin to play it risky. I like to have a Vref that is a useful target speed to be at just before flare and float when you throttle off and land. Also, a ref that is a useful minimum speed for when you are putting around at low altitude.

I try to avoid having much power on when testing for 'stall' speeds. With a little throttle, as I lose knots, I try to catch the point when it becomes too difficult to maintain altitude and congenial flight. I test at 500m, because I want to be near sea level where 99.9% of airfields are.

#8 ChaffCutter

ChaffCutter

Posted 31 March 2015 - 13:24

Hello Chaffcutter,

Welcome to the forum! I performed some tests a few years ago

http://riseofflight....st-flight-data/

post #16

You might find it interesting to compare to my results. Some of the flight models have changed between my and your tests.Knowing the mass enables CLmax to be calculated (post 22) and combining with testing of corner speed allows load factors to be found posts 51, 59

Thanks Piecost

The link you provided was very interesting. I could learn a lot by carefully reading that again. Still don't know what CLmax is. Your charts show more the true stall speeds - - - - which are 10 - 15 kmh lower than my list.

#9 J2_VonGraff

J2_VonGraff
  • LocationCenter of the Universe

Posted 31 March 2015 - 13:36

This is interesting, and yes they (the stall speed numbers) all do seem a smidge high. But this may be due to the fact that "perception" in a 2 dimensional world is different than in 3, so they've been massaged a bit so they "feel" like the right speed in sim. Otherwise we may be complaining that the aircraft seem to "float forever" especially during landing, because we are missing that 3rd dimensional perception that gives that added feel of momentum. Just a theory.

V-Graff

PS> Also we have no in game sense of movement/inertia, like G forces-and the feel of forward motion etc....so these stall speeds are likely a tad exxagerated to make up for this and add an element of momentum where its lacking.

'Flight leader, fuel check - I have "E" gallons sir.'

j2-graff-signature-e1425051735579.jpg

#10 ChaffCutter

ChaffCutter

Posted 31 March 2015 - 13:42

On a side note :  - -when empty the Fokker Dr.I  floats forever ! !   with no throttle.  I had to use a lot of blip just to get her down.

#11 J2_VonGraff

J2_VonGraff

Posted 31 March 2015 - 13:46

On a side note :  - - the Fokker Dr.I  when empty floats forever ! !

Lol....Yerp.

V-Graff

#12 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 31 March 2015 - 13:47

Would a test of stall speeds be with 2D gauges, level flight, power to idle, maintain level flight and watch air speed until a wing breaks over or the nose drops?

I think that test would give you a truer stall speed. :icon_e_salute:  

#13 J2_VonGraff

J2_VonGraff

Posted 31 March 2015 - 13:51

I believe so. Get to a safe altitude, maintain level flight and continue to maintain altitude as you drop throttle, and see when she dips a wing or drops a nose. Of course no wind is necessary for accuracy because that will screw up your numbers. I imagine it may take a moment for your wing mounted airspeed indicator to slow down to an accurate reading though, so yeah if the virtual gauges are more precise (instantaneous) they'd be more accurate.

V-Graff

PS. The slower you approach the stall the more accurate your stall speed reading will be. In other words, drop the throttle slowly while holding your altitude, almost a contest of how slow I can go while still holding her aloft....small incriments of throttle reduction until the bottom drops out. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users