Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Difference in Prices Between Steam and RoF Store (Esp. for Long-time Owners)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OLD_Wilson[MG]

OLD_Wilson[MG]

Posted 24 March 2015 - 19:00

I had asked this question previously on the old forums but it was never answered and is now gone entirely due to the new forum upgrade so I'll bring it up again here in hopes of getting an official response.

Why is there such a difference in the prices between the RoF Store and Steam when the content is essentially the same, just not compatible?

I have been a long-time RoF fan and supporter (since the original release in 2009), however I have a major conflict:  I already own two copies of RoF from the RoF Store (one personal, and one to host a dedicated server with) since I purchased it here long before it ever went to Steam.  Further, I have a dozen planes and various add-ons on my personal account that I purchased over the years.  All told, I've already spent more on this game than I do on most.

To purchase all remaining planes and add-ons, even with 60% off of nearly everything on the RoF Store, I would have to spend over $178 (US)!  To buy a completely new copy of the game plus every DLC on Steam under this 60% off sale, it would only cost me $105 (US).  That's still high for most games, but the cost isn't the issue rather than the difference in price between the two distribution platforms.

My dilemma is this; since the two games are not compatible and you cannot use a key from the RoF Store on Steam or vice versa, I'm forced to make one of three choices; a.) repurchase the game a third time via Steam and get all content for almost half the cost, b.) Spend nearly twice the amount to keep everything through the RoF Store, or c.) Not buy anything at all because I can't fathom paying twice as much or buying the same game over and over, no matter how much I enjoy it.

So far, I've chosen option C.  I've wanted to reinstall RoF and set up a dedicated server again so many times over the years, and get the members of my community back to playing it again, but being faced with the above choices I've simply chosen to avoid the game all together.

Hopefully, the prices can be brought in line with each other, or you will allow for people who purchased the game from your website to apply keys to their Steam accounts and purchase everything they want there.  Perhaps there's another solution I've yet to suggest, but until something changes, I will have to stand on principle and keep it shelved even when I'd love to be playing it again with new content.

Surely I can't be the only one who has noticed this issue and has hesitated about returning to the game as well.

#2 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 24 March 2015 - 19:54

The basic prices were in-line about year ago, when rof store offered 50% discount when you buy four or more planes at once  (as steam always sells you at least four planes, the bulk discount was included in steam prices). Then steam prices went slightly up (with no word from 777), then new RoF store lowered the prices but abolished the bulk discounts, separating them completely. But even when they were in-line, the steam sales stuck on top of (in-built for steam) discount to get better prices than in RoF store at the same sale. Steam version is better to buy planes at bulk quantities, store is better for cherrypicking your planes, always have been that. 

Hopefully, the prices can be brought in line with each other, or you will allow for people who purchased the game from your website to apply keys to their Steam accounts and purchase everything they want there.

The Valve wants the steam game to not accept store keys, the same happened to DCS.

I happen to have steam and non-steam account (mostly for career slot purposes, and to keep reminding 777 BoS is not where my money lies), and keep using steam account for planes I have not (career slots for) on my personal account. I buy one steam DLC (four planes) per sale, every few months, always going for DLC least covered by my main account. I need to restart game to switch accounts (and of course career/multiplayer profiles are separate), but I manage. 

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#3 xWildBillx

xWildBillx

Posted 30 April 2015 - 13:34

So, is the non steam version of this game the free downloadable one? What is the one you can buy on Amazon? Which accounts can you use to play multi player games? What other differences are there between steam and non steam? Thanks

#4 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 30 April 2015 - 18:13

1. So, is the non steam version of this game the free downloadable one?

The ordinary, non-steam one.

2. What is the one you can buy on Amazon?

The ordinary, non-steam one. I believe steam store is the only place where you can buy steam version.

Which accounts can you use to play multi player games?

Whichever you want. RoF uses online user accounts that hold users purchased planes licences, career progress etc. Any RoF program, steam or not, will accept any RoF user account. You can have steam licence, go to friend who uses non-steam game, log in with your account and use your planes, fly your careers, fly as yourself in multiplayer etc. All your property is stored on servers, on programs are generic and identical (sans mods, skins etc).

For instance, you can get the free-to-play version of game, and start a new "free" account that lets you play three free planes. While you play both game and account for free, your account is "unactivated", so you  can upgrade it either way. If you buy any planes from online store here, you activate your account and from this point on you can only buy extra planes from this site. The program stays the same, you don't install new content, it just becomes available for your account. If you buy boxed game, you get CD key that can be used to activate an account the same way, and adds multiple planes at once. 

Now if you purchase the game from steam, you get a steam version of game program... which is functionally identical to non-steam version. So if you had free-to-play program, you now have two identical programs, one that works via steam and stand-alone one. You also get the CD-key that can be used to activate an account - once activated that way, you cannot buy planes from online store here; instead, you buy planes in steam store as steam DLCs, in packs of four. You still can use your account to log into steam and non-steam versions of RoF program.

4.What other differences are there between steam and non steam? Thanks 
Only real difference is where you get your planes from - once you activate account with steam CD-Key, you must buy more planes from steam. It means different prices, different sales, and having to buy planes in packs of 4 instead of buying them one by one. Programs are identical, content is identical once you buy it. Steam versions has archivements but they don't work.

Forum moderator.

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#5 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 30 April 2015 - 18:38

My dilemma is this; since the two games are not compatible and you cannot use a key from the RoF Store on Steam or vice versa, I'm forced to make one of three choices; a.) repurchase the game a third time via Steam and get all content for almost half the cost, b.) Spend nearly twice the amount to keep everything through the RoF Store, or c.) Not buy anything at all because I can't fathom paying twice as much or buying the same game over and over, no matter how much I enjoy it.

So far, I've chosen option C.  I've wanted to reinstall RoF and set up a dedicated server again so many times over the years, and get the members of my community back to playing it again, but being faced with the above choices I've simply chosen to avoid the game all together.

I see your point about it being odd as to why the Steam price is so much lower than the RoF store price (assuming that you are correctly comparing apples to apples and taking into account the frequent availability of big sales on the RoF store site), but I don't get why this is really a "dilemma".

First, I assume you would like RoF enough to want to buy all the rest of the content you don't already have - otherwise, there's no point to this comparison anyway.

So, basically you have a simple choice - using your example numbers, you can pay $178 to wind up with all the content if you buy from the RoF store, or you can pay $105 to wind up with all the content if you buy from Steam.  Already seems like a no-brainer to me, and when you throw in the fact that if you buy the Steam version you will not only have one full copy with all content but also another partial copy (your old/current one from the RoF store) with a fair amount of content that you can let a friend or family member use then the choice seems obvious - unless you just have an irrational dislike for Steam then just buy the complete package from Steam for the $105.

As far as I know, you can still set up your dedicated server with the copy you already have for that purpose without needing to add any content to it (I haven't done it for a while, but I was running my dedicated server using the free-2-play version without having bought any content for it at all, and I assume that's still possible), so that dedicated server question shouldn't be a factor at all in your decision.  

And your statement that the two games are "not compatible" isn't really true - they are completely compatible in the sense that people with one version can play MP with people that have the other version, and the SP game play is the same (so I'm told - never tried the Steam version myself).  The only thing "incompatible" about them is that once you've added content to a game/account from the RoF store you can't add content from Steam to that particular game/account, or vice versa.  But that doesn't matter here - if you pay the $105 and get a complete copy with all the content from Steam you won't need to be adding stuff from the RoF store to that copy (and you'll already have all the content in your Steam copy/account so you won't need to be adding stuff to your old, non-steam copy either).

Bottom line, yes, the pricing differential is odd, but it doesn't seem to me to be any sort of "matter of principle" that should get in your way of obtaining and enjoying the great content in RoF.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#6 xWildBillx

xWildBillx

Posted 30 April 2015 - 19:00

Great info, thanks All.

#7 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 30 April 2015 - 19:01

unless you just have an irrational dislike for Steam then just buy the complete package from Steam for the $105.

If you have dislike of Steam you can buy planes cheaply on Steam then use free-to-play program to fly them, visiting steam only to buy more planes, copy CD-key to clipboard and get out. I'm almost never flying my steam planes via steam program, as it seems to have higher frequency of FFB pulsing bug.

Forum moderator.

#8 xWildBillx

xWildBillx

Posted 05 May 2015 - 00:39

The ordinary, non-steam one. I believe steam store is the only place where you can buy steam version.

Whichever you want. RoF uses online user accounts that hold users purchased planes licences, career progress etc. Any RoF program, steam or not, will accept any RoF user account. You can have steam licence, go to friend who uses non-steam game, log in with your account and use your planes, fly your careers, fly as yourself in multiplayer etc. All your property is stored on servers, on programs are generic and identical (sans mods, skins etc).

For instance, you can get the free-to-play version of game, and start a new "free" account that lets you play three free planes. While you play both game and account for free, your account is "unactivated", so you  can upgrade it either way. If you buy any planes from online store here, you activate your account and from this point on you can only buy extra planes from this site. The program stays the same, you don't install new content, it just becomes available for your account. If you buy boxed game, you get CD key that can be used to activate an account the same way, and adds multiple planes at once. 

Now if you purchase the game from steam, you get a steam version of game program... which is functionally identical to non-steam version. So if you had free-to-play program, you now have two identical programs, one that works via steam and stand-alone one. You also get the CD-key that can be used to activate an account - once activated that way, you cannot buy planes from online store here; instead, you buy planes in steam store as steam DLCs, in packs of four. You still can use your account to log into steam and non-steam versions of RoF program.

Only real difference is where you get your planes from - once you activate account with steam CD-Key, you must buy more planes from steam. It means different prices, different sales, and having to buy planes in packs of 4 instead of buying them one by one. Programs are identical, content is identical once you buy it. Steam versions has archivements but they don't work.

I just bought a boxed channel map program, so since I have a free, inactivated account, I should be able to activate it with my boxed program, right?

#9 lonelyflyer

lonelyflyer

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:50

I'm new to the ROF. Initially I installed the game from ROF website (non-steam version) and had a free account. Now I have purchased Rise of Flight: Channel Battles from Steam store. At the same time I had to download ROF United (steam version of game program) so I have 2 versions of game program on the computer (non-steam and steam version). My question is if I have to keep both versions or can I uninstall steam version of game program and play ROF Channel Battles (purchased via Steam store) only on non-steam version? Is there any difference between both versions of game program at all?

#10 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 03 November 2015 - 13:49

There is no difference between game program, except (broken) steam archievements and steam overlay in steam version. Both versions of program will allow every RoF user to log in with his account, whether the account has steam DLCS or store planes, and use his content.  You can uninstall steam version and keep using non-steam program with planes you got from steam.

Forum moderator.

#11 lonelyflyer

lonelyflyer

Posted 03 November 2015 - 17:42

There is no difference between game program, except (broken) steam archievements and steam overlay in steam version. Both versions of program will allow every RoF user to log in with his account, whether the account has steam DLCS or store planes, and use his content.  You can uninstall steam version and keep using non-steam program with planes you got from steam.

Thanks for quick answer. I will  uninstall ROF United (steam version of game program) and play ROF on non-steam version of program only. Would it be possible to buy new DLCS on steam without having the ROF United installed on the computer?

#12 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 03 November 2015 - 19:12

Yes; after you buy DLCs from steam, you have to register them with your ROF account, by looking up their CD Keys in steam games library (you can do that with games you own but have not installed), logging onto main riseofflight.com site with yur account and entering the CD Keys on this page http://riseofflight....e/license-keys/

After that, you need to log in online to RoF with that account to apply plane additions... but you can do it via non-steam program and it works the same. 

Forum moderator.

#13 lonelyflyer

lonelyflyer

Posted 03 November 2015 - 20:30

Yes; after you buy DLCs from steam, you have to register them with your ROF account, by looking up their CD Keys in steam games library (you can do that with games you own but have not installed), logging onto main riseofflight.com site with yur account and entering the CD Keys on this page http://riseofflight....e/license-keys/

After that, you need to log in online to RoF with that account to apply plane additions... but you can do it via non-steam program and it works the same. 

Thank you again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users