- - - - -

Controls Not Working Since Update

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Riderocket

Riderocket
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 21 March 2015 - 05:09

I don't have TrackIR, but I found a nice and easy to use pan view setup.

but since the latest update, I haven't been able to use my hat switch, I don't know why but it seems to be stuck on snap view and pan view isn't working, I've gone over all my controls and it seems to be ok, I cant even look around with the mouse (it wants to look around but it always centres itself automatically)

(Battle of Stalingrad is working fine with the same setup)

why did they have to change the game, it was perfect and now the game is hopeless and unplayable due to this annoying control changes >(

please help.

System Specs

Spoiler

#2 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 21 March 2015 - 20:11

I suspect that the problems you;re having are somehow related to the introduction of the mouse control for flying.  First, of course, make sure that your controls are set to joystick and not mouse control (I think they've set the default to mouse control for the noobs).

Assuming that you have the joystick setting checked, you'll still need to check all your camera/view settings to make sure something didn't get set weird during the update.  If you exported/saved a copy of your old pre-patch settings (as you always should do), try importing/loading your old settings back in (be sure to hit the "apply" button after doing so), and see if that doesn't fix your problem.  

If not, you'll probably just have to go through every setting that has anything to do with camera/view and make sure that (i) they are set like you want them, and (ii) there aren't any conflicting, multiple assignments that might be causing some problems.

I'm not sure if it's related in any way, but my TIR has really been acting up since the last update as well (in both RoF and BoS), so I don't know if my TIR is has just gone on the fritz or if they made some similar change to both games that has gone screwy somehow.  It's probably just my TIR, since if it were the games we'd probably be seeing more posts about problems like this, but it does make me wonder sometimes.

[EDIT] - turns out the TIR problem was on my end as suspected - I just unplugged the USB cable for the TIR and re-plugged it, and everything is working fine again.  So, apparently not related to whatever you're seeing - I think it's most likely to be one of the controls settings things mentioned above.

Good luck!

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#3 Riderocket

Riderocket
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:04

so I just went over all the controls and found out that the camera controls Head: Vertical Bow and Head: Horizontal Turn works in cockpit mode when assigned to the hat switch, but the actual pilot head controls don't work.

which means I cant change any settings like the movement speed and rotation speed or inertion speeds, because that all changes the pilot head controls, and not the camera controls.

but what else is strange is the fact that I cant use the mouse to look around, whenever I try to use the mouse it seems to always want to centre itself..?

must be a bug with the new mouse controls for newbs that seems to be messing with stuff.

I've linked my control scheme in a HTML file bellow for anyone to inspect.

Attached File  Controls Scheme.html   27.46KB   29 downloads

System Specs

Spoiler

#4 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 25 March 2015 - 13:27

Have you tried setting all the controls assignments back to defaults (after exporting/saving your custom settings to a custom-named file so you can get them back of course) and seeing whether your mouse and things start working again?  Might be worth a try,

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#5 Riderocket

Riderocket
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 26 March 2015 - 00:35

Have you tried setting all the controls assignments back to defaults (after exporting/saving your custom settings to a custom-named file so you can get them back of course) and seeing whether your mouse and things start working again?  Might be worth a try,

yes, I tried that. I'm not sure what else I can do now, but I think it might be a bug and will have to see if there's going to be a fix.

System Specs

Spoiler

#6 Riderocket

Riderocket
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:41

turns out to fix this issue you have to do something with your joystick hardware IDs and reset the controls in RoF using joystick controls "before" plugging in your joystick ,, or something like that 

System Specs

Spoiler

#7 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:37

Welcome back!  Glad you got it sorted.  Usually, if you unplug your devices (or maybe just plug in other ones), Windows will sometimes assign them to different device ID numbers, which then messes up the assignments in RoF so you have to configure the controls again - but you generally should do that after you've got everything re-plugged the way you want them, not before (if you do it before, it's likely to get screwed up again when you plug things in again).  

It's something of a PITA, but unless you're going to be plugging and unplugging controllers a lot it's generally not a big deal (I got really frustrated with it back when I was experimenting with several different FB joysticks, but since I settled on my final set of devices a while back I haven't had any trouble with it again).

#8 CleitusTheBlack

CleitusTheBlack
  • LocationEngland

Posted 07 January 2017 - 00:22

I'm struggling really badly,

RoF keeps re-setting or ignoring my joystick settings (Saitek X52 Pro)

none of the external views via the Function keys work none at all.

I keep getting a crazy default view when the game starts akin to the pilot hanging outside the right hand side of the aircraft staring at the tip of the lower wing which I do not seem to be able to change

the list goes on and the game is unplayable for me....

I am using Win10

3 monitor set up

Track IR 5

Any ideas....anyone?

#9 Riderocket

Riderocket
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:17

I'm struggling really badly,

RoF keeps re-setting or ignoring my joystick settings (Saitek X52 Pro)
none of the external views via the Function keys work none at all.
I keep getting a crazy default view when the game starts akin to the pilot hanging outside the right hand side of the aircraft staring at the tip of the lower wing which I do not seem to be able to change
the list goes on and the game is unplayable for me....

I am using Win10
3 monitor set up
Track IR 5

Any ideas....anyone?

My friend on steam had the auto re-setting problem, it turned out to be him pushing the "default" or "reset" button at the bottom, this will reset everything in RoF controls, so do NOT push it.
Also....
You mentioned Function keys, are you using a laptop? maybe you can switch the function keys so it does the F1, F2, F3 without holding it down first. (and leave brightness/volume etc as the secondary).

as for the " crazy default view when the game starts akin to the pilot hanging outside the right hand side of the aircraft " i have never heard of this issue before and the only thing i can think of is to re-download your game or verify game integrity (only if you have it on steam).

System Specs

Spoiler

#10 trikke11

trikke11

Posted 07 January 2017 - 18:01

I've had the same occur more than a year ago, Cleitus. Involved Saitek support and tried everything a zillion times. To no avail. Tried again after a no-fly-year. Same diff. :angry:  :huh:

#11 AirPatrick

AirPatrick

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:33

Hi,

Back after more than 5 year break!

In the mean time I've finally got the latest version of Windows 10 that has my Saitek X52 joystick and TrackIR working.

Now for space reasons I don't want to use the pedals for Yaw control but the twist of the joystick instead.

Problem encountered is that ROF recognizes the twist as a binary input, 0% or 100% so needless to say that flying is bumpy and shooting almost impossible.

I'll set the autorudder on for time being but this isn't going to help aiming so any help here would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note,I guess there has been a wipe as I can no longer remember my original account name and that means I lost those old planes I purchased.\

Cheers

#12 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 23 January 2017 - 22:36

Welcome back!

I've never heard about this kind of problem, and don't own that particular stick, so I probably won't be able to help much, but several folks here do seem to use that stick so maybe someone will pop in with some useful advice.

In the meantime, have you calibrated/checked the device settings for the stick in Windows and does Windows show the twist function properly as another axis on that joystick? 

Not ideal, but the aiming problem should be able to be fixed at least temporarily by leaving your auto-rudder setting turned on and disabling/unassigning your joystick twist control from the rudder control in the RoF controls settings screen.  That way, RoF shouldn't recognize the stick twist inputs as anything and therefore that shouldn't affect your aiming.

#13 AirPatrick

AirPatrick

Posted 27 January 2017 - 13:02

Welcome back!

I've never heard about this kind of problem, and don't own that particular stick, so I probably won't be able to help much, but several folks here do seem to use that stick so maybe someone will pop in with some useful advice.

In the meantime, have you calibrated/checked the device settings for the stick in Windows and does Windows show the twist function properly as another axis on that joystick? 

Not ideal, but the aiming problem should be able to be fixed at least temporarily by leaving your auto-rudder setting turned on and disabling/unassigning your joystick twist control from the rudder control in the RoF controls settings screen.  That way, RoF shouldn't recognize the stick twist inputs as anything and therefore that shouldn't affect your aiming.

Many thanks for your suggestion.

I have the twist (yaw) working with Elite Dangerous so it's not a hardware issue for sure. I'm currently travelling but will give it a more thorough check tomorrow once back home.

Cheers!

#14 AirPatrick

AirPatrick

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:53

Indeed, my joystick problem was linked to a bad Windows calibration. Yaw working fine now, just needed to recalibrate and activate the inverted option in ROF. Many thanks.

#15 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 29 January 2017 - 19:19

Glad you got it sorted out.  Fortunately, these sorts of things almost always turn out to be caused by something other than RoF (frustrating until you find the cause, but at least then RoF works fine).

#16 CanisLatrans

CanisLatrans

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:33

Reloaded game after system upgrade, Game does not see any controllers

VKB Gladiator Pro

CH Pro Throttle

CH Pro Pedals

Win 10

Cant figure out what I am missing, the gear shows it is working fine in Win controllers

#17 Riderocket

Riderocket
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 13 April 2017 - 14:06

Reloaded game after system upgrade, Game does not see any controllers
VKB Gladiator Pro
CH Pro Throttle
CH Pro Pedals
Win 10

Cant figure out what I am missing, the gear shows it is working fine in Win controllers

Have you tried to reinstall Drivers?

System Specs

Spoiler

#18 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 13 April 2017 - 14:27

Game does not see any controllers

What do you mean by this phrase?   Any time you change your system, plug/unplug controllers, etc. there's a risk that Windows will re-assign controller ID numbers, which will mean that RoF's controller settings will have to be re-done (if it used to see your throttle controller as "Joystick 1" and Windows has re-assigned it as "Joystick 2" then your RoF assignments for the throttle controller will of course be all messed up and you'll have to re-assign them).  So, what exactly happens when you try to assign a command function to one of your controllers at this point? 

#19 CanisLatrans

CanisLatrans

Posted 13 April 2017 - 17:51

I can assign as I* used to but they do not function at all, I have been away from ROF for a while and trying to set back up for it. It seems they are invisible to the game but are seen in win controllers.

#20 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 13 April 2017 - 20:34

Hmm - Still not sure I understand.  So, when you click in (say) one of the throttle command column/cells in the RoF controller setup screens and then move your throttle controller handle, does it show up as assigning that axis to that command, but then just doesn't work when you're in the game itself, or does nothing at all show up in that column/cell in the controls setup screen when you move your throttle controller handle?

Also, are you sure that you have "joystick control" ticked in your setup screen?  (If you have "mouse control" ticked, maybe that keeps the game from seeing your joystick(s)?  (Haven't played around with mouse control in a long time, so I don't know if that could be part of the problem, but it's probably worth checking).

#21 CanisLatrans

CanisLatrans

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:08

Got  it, thanks for your replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users