Photo
- - - - -

Gunner bug after new patch 1.036

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 1PL-Husar

1PL-Husar

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:13

When in gunner position you change cam view (for external one) and go back to first person view, mouse is no longer working - you can't move turret or shoot. You can use key for reload, nestle to the gun sight and back but you can't use CTR+C to go back to pilot view.

#2 actionjoe

actionjoe
  • LocationNord, France.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 13:35

I have noticed the same thing.

I'll add that we still have this horrible white gunsight, even in full realism.

#3 SYN_Jedders

SYN_Jedders

Posted 01 March 2015 - 20:40

Its a new bug. A resart of the game sometimes makes it work....

#4 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 02 March 2015 - 18:53

:icon_e_sad: I have noticed that when you go to the gunner position, in 2 seater planes, in multiplayer you cant zoom out with the mouse wheel so cannot use the rear guns. Have found this in Aces Falling,  & Syndicate servers. :icon_e_sad:

#5 JG1_Klaiber

JG1_Klaiber

Posted 04 March 2015 - 14:42

Hi guys,

Since we have an FIF mission tonight, we had to figure out a workaround for this bug issue.

Here are our findings, summed up in one post.

I hope this helps people trying to figure out how to circumnavigate this issue:

http://forum.jg1.org...nd-workarounds/

The Bug:

For most people, when you take over a gun turret on any aircraft, TrackIR and gun controls do not work.

Further, when you leave someone's backseat, you land up deactivating the AI gunner, making him immobile and ineffective.

Also, players seem to have the ability to kick each other out of the gunner seat by sitting on top of them.  Pilots, who were gunning for themselves, are forced into the front seat, and non-pilot gunners are forced into "superman" views.

The Temporary Workaround:

You can still control the gun with full controls.  However, going into the gun slot must be the first thing you do after starting up the game!

If you've died in FIF, and wish to gun for someone, you must exit out of the game completely, then restart the game, then join the server for a second time, and then move into the gunner seat as your first action on the server.  This *should* give you full control.

Note that once you leave the gunner seat, the aircraft's AI gunner will be disabled, as the game will still register your "ghost" as still being in the backseat.

In order for a pilot to re-establish the AI gunner, he must jump into the backseat himself, and then jump back to the pilot seat.  Waldo or Otto (the AI gunners) will then wake-up.

Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent people from sitting on top of each other, so an easy work around is to lock it.

Klaiber_long_ROF.png?dl=0
Hals - und Beinbruch!

#6 JG1_Vonrd_J10

JG1_Vonrd_J10
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:08

Gunner bug still prevalent in FIF tonight.

#7 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 05 March 2015 - 17:10

S!

Could this be a problem caused by uniting the controls for mouse flown and stick flown editions. When you pick "stick" to fly the plane, it now interferes with mouse control of the gunner positions?

sig9.png

#8 1PL-Husar

1PL-Husar

Posted 05 March 2015 - 19:58

S!

Could this be a problem caused by uniting the controls for mouse flown and stick flown editions. When you pick "stick" to fly the plane, it now interferes with mouse control of the gunner positions?

Probably not because in 1.035 was ok.

#9 JG1_Dudley

JG1_Dudley

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:52

Current testing, by one of our Black Haze pilots, suggests that when in the gunner's seat, do not view the bomb-sight or the gunner's view will freeze.

Result: You are stuck in that gunner position and can only toggle back and forth to the bomb-sight view.

• Track IR, mouse and keyboard no longer direct the gunner's view
  • Bomb-sight controls work OK
  • You cannot switch to another crew position (pilot or gunner)
  • Gun controls for that position no longer work, but flight controls still respond
  • Also, if a frozen gunner exits the flight, the AI gunner seems de-activated:
    • However, if the pilot moves to the now empty gunner seat and takes control of the gun, it resets the AI gunner
      (Pilot can move back to cockpit, but only if they do not view the bomb-sight when in the gunner's seat)
  • It's OK for the pilot to toggle back and forth, between the cockpit view and bomb-sight
    (Pilot can also move to any gunner seat, but as a gunner, if they then look at the bomb-sight, the gunner view freezes and the pilot is stuck)

Summary: For gunners, there seems to be an interaction between the bomb-sight toggle switch and the head position / view controls.

We will test this further to confirm.

Kudos to BH_NavyJake for finding this.

Until we have a resoution, I'll re-assign my bomb-sight toggle switch (maybe with a Shift key combination), so I'll be a bit more deliberate about using it.

Gunner and bomb-sight verboten!

#10 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 08 March 2015 - 13:19

There are a few threads on this topic which should be consolidated... http://riseofflight....ear-gunner-bug/

http://riseofflight....g-second-plane/

and in fact an earlier one that should have been added to... http://riseofflight....r-contol-issue/

I would seriously hesitate to make pronouncements on what triggers the bug at this time.  As Dudley points out, we currently only have "suggestions" until finding the exact 'keystroke history' that reliably produces the behaviour. 

Does this bug happen in single player and offline mode?  should be the first thing to try out, since it eliminates server/MP code variables.

From our MP experience during last VM our pilots can confirm that restarting RoF sometimes allows you normal access a gunner seat in a two-seat aircraft, though some pilots had to restart 2 or 3 times, adding to the frustration.

Also, Vander and I noticed that for multi-position aircraft (Felix at least) the bug does not act the same.  Starting as a gunner we could enter someone else's aircraft in a turret, but not do anything or even look around, the gunner view was locked. Therefore, perhaps this multi-turret behaviour explains the Gotha problems mentioned in FIF.  Neither of us used 'bombsite view' BTW... 

Also, particularly insidious is when the pilot jumps to a gunner spot and cannot leave the gun position.  So far this seems to be accompanied by a locked view as well, but this only happened to one pilot, so we could not replicate how it happened, though honestly we were really avoiding replicating it ... :icon_e_deadman:

#11 JG1_Dudley

JG1_Dudley

Posted 08 March 2015 - 23:18

My additional testing agrees with what NavyJake reported. When in the gunner's seat, viewing the bomb-sight causes the gunner's view to freeze.

The test was conducted with and without TrackIR in Offline, Single-player (Fly Now) mission, and in Multiplayer.

In each case, I started as the pilot, using a Gotha, DFW, or a Roland.

Testing for the Gotha was done on the ground - the Gotha allows the bomb-sight to be viewed when grounded.

The DFW and Roland had to be tested in flight. A grounded DFW and Roland do not allow the pilot or gunner to view the bomb-sight.

(I haven't tried this on other 2-seaters.)

• As a pilot, I had no problems viewing the bomb-sight and returning to the cockpit view.
    The pilot could also switch many times to gunner positions and back to pilot's seat
  • When in a gunner's seat (front or rear for Gotha) I had no problems, until I viewed the bomb-sight
  • As soon as I switched from the bomb-sight, back to the gunner's seat, the head controls for the view no longer worked.
    -- Specifically, I could not change the gunner's head view by TrackIR, mouse, keyboard or (joystick) hat-switch
    • If i took control of a gun, before viewing the bomb-sight, when frozen I could not move the gun or fire it.
      I could still nestle the gun to view directly down its sight, but could not fire it and the frozen view was still maintained,
      even when I went back to the regular gun view

Note: The animations in the view still worked - grass swayed and the windsock moved.

• On the ground, in the DFW or Roland gunner seat, pressing the bomb-sight toggle switch had no effect and the view controls stay normal
  • Once airborne, the pilot could still toggle in and out of the bomb-sight as per normal
  • However, when flying in a gunner's seat, viewing the bomb-sight freezes the view controls as reported above
  • I could still toggle to and from the bomb-sight, but could not move to another crew seat. Only option was to quit the flight

This is what I experienced.

Other players, please test and report if this consistent.

#12 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:41

Still no official response ?

sig9.png

#13 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:26

Still no official response ?

Jason has already indicated that the team is working on it (in another thread):

I'm between homes at the moment so I can't test this at the moment, but I have alerted the team. I'm sure they will investigate.

Jason

Hopefully we'll hear something from the team soon.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#14 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 12 March 2015 - 13:50

ty

sig9.png

#15 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 16 March 2015 - 13:37

Any word?

sig9.png

#16 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 16 March 2015 - 13:54

no

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#17 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 17 March 2015 - 15:32

S!

Does anyone know what the last patch did other than merge Weapons mods and flight mods?

If that is all it did, why not just roll back one patch and you have an instant fix?

sig9.png

#18 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 17 March 2015 - 16:08

S!

Does anyone know what the last patch did other than merge Weapons mods and flight mods?

If that is all it did, why not just roll back one patch and you have an instant fix?

It also changed the way the game is activated, and 777 seams not to do roll backs.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#19 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 17 March 2015 - 18:28

ty

Uhmm is that what broke the bombers?

sig9.png

#20 NavyJake

NavyJake

Posted 17 March 2015 - 22:17

It would be nice to fly again, with a properly operating game.

Well I guess I will just wait.

Too bad as BA is on the horizon.....

#21 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 20 March 2015 - 14:44

Going on 3 weeks.

sig9.png

#22 del_brophmeister

del_brophmeister

Posted 21 March 2015 - 00:48

Still happens in single player. I enter a gunners position and I am locked in, cannot switch to another gunner or the pilot, cannot use the guns at all. Not sure what it is specifically that I am pressing to make this happen.

#23 JG1_Dudley

JG1_Dudley

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:21

When in the gunner's seat, did you look through the bomb-sight? I've told you not to do this.

Read my posts (#9 & #11) in this thread.

Has anyone else tested what may be triggering this? Does it happen independent of using the gunner bomb-sight?

#24 del_brophmeister

del_brophmeister

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:43

I'm not 6....

Interestingly, no. I have my problems if I switch to external view from the gunners seat. Will test more later today.

#25 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 21 March 2015 - 13:05

I did a little testing and you can switch from pilot to gunner and back as long you don"t go to external view in gunner seat.

#26 JG1_Dudley

JG1_Dudley

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:14

Thanks =HillBilly= - I'll have to try external views - I rarely use them.

#27 JG1_Lipfert

JG1_Lipfert

Posted 23 March 2015 - 19:28

This should have been fixed, way to long to react to an issue created with the last patch. Not impressed.....

J89wFKx.png

#28 NavyJake

NavyJake

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:13

+1

Still on holiday... :icon_mad:

#29 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 24 March 2015 - 05:09

Hmm - just flew a few missions in the Gotha and Felixstowe, in QMBs, and did not have any problems at all when changing back and forth between pilot and gunner positions.  I did not use external views or the bomb sight view at any point during that process, so HillBilly may be onto something.  

Also tried it in MP, and didn't have any problems switching back and forth between pilot and gunner in my DFW (also, without trying to use external views or bomb sight).

So, are people still having problems with this, or only when they use externals and/or bomb sight?  

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#30 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 24 March 2015 - 16:37

S!

Yes. When you use the bomb sight in the gunner position it then does not allow you to change positions. It also freezes Track IR.

This is very disturbing for the HP and Gotha pilots as they often fight and fly from multiple positions.

sig9.png

#31 NavyJake

NavyJake

Posted 24 March 2015 - 22:20

But hey let's have a sale for a broken game!!!

Someone tell me how this is even remotely right.

Here buy my car\airplane but the engine doesn't work, I will give it to you for 60% off, oh and you can't fix the engine..... :icon_e_sad: :icon_e_sad: :icon_e_sad:

#32 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 24 March 2015 - 22:31

WOW someone got a bur up their @$$

#33 NavyJake

NavyJake

Posted 24 March 2015 - 22:40

Yes just about 4 weeks worth, and that isn't even counting the fact that you can't move your gauges around on the screen any more.

:icon_mad: :icon_mad: :icon_mad:

#34 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 24 March 2015 - 22:59

I understand your frustration, but the gunner bug did not make the game unplayable and can be worked around. The gauges thing is not a bug,( yes it would be nice to be able to move them) and did not brake the game either.

But hey let's have a sale for a broken game!!!

Someone tell me how this is even remotely right.

Here buy my car\airplane but the engine doesn't work, I will give it to you for 60% off, oh and you can't fix the engine

Did this post help the devs run down the problem, was it necessary? 

#35 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 24 March 2015 - 23:01

I understand the frustration - it does seem to have taken a longer than usual amount of time for this to get fixed/addressed by the devs, whose track record of putting out hot-fixes for broken stuff like this has been quite good historically.

I don't think getting nasty/snarky is likely to help the situation, but I do understand the frustration and I hope that they can get this dealt with soon.

I didn't even realize that it was possible to use the bombsight from any position other than pilot - is that new?  I remember some discussions a long time ago about how maybe the observer/gunners should be able to do that since they often were the ones who performed such functions IRL, but I didn't remember them actually implementing that possibility. 

As a practical matter, does it really make sense for the player to try to use the bomb sight while in a gunner position, given that while doing so they're basically losing that defensive firepower because neither they nor the AI gunner can be firing the gun while they're busy looking at the bomb sight?  If they're the only player/human in the plane, wouldn't it make more sense to go back to the cockpit to do the bomb sight viewing?  (and if they're not the only player/human in the plane, wouldn't it make more sense to let the human pilot do the bomb sight viewing?) 

I'm not arguing that the thing's not broken or shouldn't be fixed as soon as they can, but I am wondering why this is being seen as such a dreadful, game-breaking bug by some folks.

#36 NavyJake

NavyJake

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:26

With all due respect to my esteemed follow flyers of RoF.

My comments got more attention than apparently the "bug" "issue" "feature" or any other name you want to give it has apparently gotten the last few weeks.

Did this post help the devs run down the problem, was it necessary?

Yes it was, as it got a reaction! Vice dead air. See other posts, how much more information do the devs need?

If I wrote code or patched a system in my R/L that caused "well it still works sort of" I would soon be seeking other employment.

Do we test? Oh I understand that errors happen and truly expect them to, but then to have the only word coming back on the forums being, "it has been reported..."

I didn't even realize that it was possible to use the bomb sight from any position other than pilot - is that new?

I would only consider it new if you consider the last 2+ years new. :) :)

As a practical matter, does it really make sense for the player to try to use the bomb sight while in a gunner position, given that while doing so they're basically losing that defensive firepower because neither they nor the AI gunner can be firing the gun while they're busy looking at the bomb sight?

Very true except if you look the bomb sight is located in the gunners position. Lock the game where you can't go to the bomb sight from a gunner's position, this makes sense. Locking TiR, not being able to move the gun or preform a gunner function, and not able to go back to the cockpit is something entirely different IMO. I consider it broken see above.

The gauges thing is not a bug, (yes it would be nice to be able to move them) and did not break the game either.

Yes but it wasn't explained nor apparently known, as it wasn't in the release notes as a 'new feature" for the game,

Frustration and being :icon_mad: :icon_mad: :icon_mad: is because of the lack of feedback on any of the issues that have occurred since the release on 29.01.2015.

I'm not arguing that the thing's not broken or shouldn't be fixed as soon as they can, but I am wondering why this is being seen as such a dreadful, game-breaking bug by some folks.

Same reason as with most things, don't give and then take away "features"

I do Love RoF and have really enjoyed playing the "game" until the recent "patches" and find it totally ironic that 1C game studios and 777 studios choose to have a sale at this time. IMO only and

per forum rules

6. It is forbidden to discuss the actions of moderators and administrators in any form on the forum. All questions are to be sent via "personal message" to the administrator/moderator.
Violations of this rule will result in the following:

First offense - 3 days ban on entry
Second offense - 7 days of the ban on entry
Third offense - 30 day ban on entry

7. Comments containing profanity, personal insults, accusations of cheating, excessive rudeness, vulgarity, drug propaganda, political and religious discussion and propaganda, all manifestations of Nazism and racist statements, calls to overthrow governments by force, inciting ethnic hatred, humiliation of persons of a particular gender, sexual orientation or religion are not allowed and will result in a ban.
Violations of this rule will result in the following:

First offense - 3 days ban on entry
Second offense - 7 days of the ban on entry
Third offense - 30 day ban on entry

None of which I have done. So I'm free to post my opinion, and you are free to respond.

:icon_e_salute:

#37 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 25 March 2015 - 16:23

S!

When in the HP or Gotha  you have a hard time getting an IP for the target. It is very handy to use the front gunner position to line up on the target. From there you fly the plane and use the bomb sight. The front position is not a great place in general to fly the plane. The pilot seat is best for determining level flight and landing.

sig9.png

#38 JG1_Lipfert

JG1_Lipfert

Posted 26 March 2015 - 18:59

WOW someone got a bur up their @$$

HB,

This bug has totally messed up our community games and the Black Haze guys are hardest hit as they typically take the bombers, I find it totally unacceptable that this issue which was created by a "who's knows what patch" over 4 weeks ago !!

Fix it already, the sale is just salt in the wound for our Flanders in Flames series.

S!

J89wFKx.png

#39 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 26 March 2015 - 19:05

HB,

This bug has totally messed up our community games and the Black Haze guys are hardest hit as they typically take the bombers, I find it totally unacceptable that this issue which was created by a "who's knows what patch" over 4 weeks ago !!

Fix it already, the sale is just salt in the wound for our Flanders in Flames series.

S!

I responded to a post that had no place in this thread...

If you want to kick me around for go ahead.

#40 JG1_Vonrd_J10

JG1_Vonrd_J10
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:52

The silence from the devs is deafening! A simple acknowledgement of the problem being at least noted would help to sooth the aggravation ... but all that we've gotten is a weeks old post by Jason about him "notifying the team" of the problem. As Bloody April approaches with the apparent likelihood of no human gunners, a serious problem for those who would like to gun, whether after being killed, don't have the planeset, don't have the time to fly as a pilot or maybe prefer to gun. With the FE2 as one of the planes and the appalling performance of AI gunners in that plane, this gunner bug may doom BA this year.

Come on devs / Jason... SPEAK!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users