Photo
- - - - -

MS Sidewinder FFB Pro working with USB adapter!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Dark_4ces

Dark_4ces

Posted 17 February 2015 - 22:13

Salute all,

just for those who still want to reactivate their Sidewinder FFB Pro (the one with the D-SUB-15 game port connector) may take a look at this project link:

https://code.google.com/p/adapt-ffb-joy/wiki/HowToBuild

I built the described adapter (about 30$) and I use with ROF connected to an USB Port on Win 8.1

IT WILL NOT HAVE FFB since there is no Windows 7x/8x driver for it but the joystick functions work as good as ever. I use it without the joysticks external power supply which means I have no back-to-center force which I got accostumed to since I left Win95. The other advantage of this Joystick is that it is fully digital and does not need to be calibrated.

Edit: FFB works too. My mistake.

#2 1PL-Husar

1PL-Husar

Posted 17 February 2015 - 23:32

I have my MSFF Pro gameport through USB adapter, and i have force feedback working.

http://www.descentbb...7821d&start=200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.descentbb.net/viewtopic.php? … &start=200

34zg6jd.jpg

#3 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:46

For $30,- I'm receiving two second hand MS-FF2 joysticks ;)

And indeed some suppliers do have an USB converter that does have the FF still available, so what is so special on this. Not going to open your link, just in-case we are into a SPAM site.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#4 Dark_4ces

Dark_4ces

Posted 18 February 2015 - 18:36

@Husar: Thanks for the link. The board you linked seems to be the same project as I linked since it has common sources with my link. Do you have the Teensy 2.0 adapter?

Since my JS seems to have no FFB at all, cann you please tell me what HEX-files did you loaded in your adapter?

@Dutch2: Very kind (and constructive) of you to suspect spamming from me 8-)
Nothing special about this, just wanted to share information with the hope to find someone who maybe has more details about it. If you are happy with your FFB2 what does this post bothers you anyway?

#5 1PL-Husar

1PL-Husar

Posted 18 February 2015 - 18:48

I have Force Feedback Joystick Adapter (based on 3DP-Vert & Adapt-FFB-Joy).

34zg6jd.jpg

#6 Dark_4ces

Dark_4ces

Posted 18 February 2015 - 19:54

Same here I built the adapter myself and the JS works fine. I have two different HEX-Files that when loaded to the adapter make the JS to be recognized by Windows. Even but I get no FFB in RoF ;)
FFB in RoF is activated of course. Any hint?

#7 Dark_4ces

Dark_4ces

Posted 18 February 2015 - 20:04

What Joystick name is displayed on your system if you run joy.cpl?

#8 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 18 February 2015 - 20:17

@Husar: Thanks for the link. The board you linked seems to be the same project as I linked since it has common sources with my link. Do you have the Teensy 2.0 adapter?

Since my JS seems to have no FFB at all, cann you please tell me what HEX-files did you loaded in your adapter?

@Dutch2: Very kind (and constructive) of you to suspect spamming from me 8-)
Nothing special about this, just wanted to share information with the hope to find someone who maybe has more details about it. If you are happy with your FFB2 what does this post bothers you anyway?

Read my red line below if I did something wrong inhere.
Sorry but I'm always at a state of warning about links on this forum from people that have only a few postings, to much SPAM links here, before you know you get a free green-card or a new kitchen. I hope you are not feeling abused. :mrgreen:

Publishing about your internet findings is OK, but if there is a better solution that does work or cheaper methods then yes this will bothers me. FYI, I did own a MS-FF gameport JS, think it is one of the best, but this stick without FF, :?

:S!:

Now serious pm me, I can give you some FF profiles that I collect from the RoFforum and a MS-FFeditor, who know this can be activated.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#9 Dark_4ces

Dark_4ces

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:06

Ok, no problem. I can understand your caution about forum-newbies here.
The Link mentioned before seems to be the one I have, just the FFB won't work. If you have a better solution or adapter info, I will be glad to hear from you.

Kind regards

#10 Dark_4ces

Dark_4ces

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:23

It turned out that I just forgot to solder the two capacitors. Someone wrote they are only needed if there are long traces/wires in the breadboarding.

Now FFB works with the ForceTest.exe program but I have no FFB-Effects in ROF, only the centering force which can be adjusted with the slider. Does someone have a hint why the effects don't work?

#11 udib

udib

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:06

@Husar - You have FFB using Windows 10 I assume?

This gives me real hope to revive my 20 years old sidewinder!

Thanks for sharing!

#12 Catfish

Catfish

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:18

Have the old MS Sidewinder 2 FFB, works in Win 7 and Win 10 without problem, in RoF.

You have to switch the force on in-game via options, and then restart the game.

Closing the receptors with tape was also a good idea, i guess i read that at SimHQ. This way the stick remains where it is, even when you take the hand away, or lose the grip.

Best joystick i ever had. Used Logitech, a few Saiteks and CH ones before, no comparison.

Cannot adjust the joystick forces in MS FSX 10 unfortunately, forces much too strong there. If anyone has an idea ..

#13 arthursmedley

arthursmedley

Posted 24 February 2016 - 13:42

Cannot adjust the joystick forces in MS FSX 10 unfortunately, forces much too strong there. If anyone has an idea ..

Check out post #4 in this thread;

http://forum.il2stur...ack#entry256367

I use this with my MSFFB2, it works!

#14 Catfish

Catfish

Posted 24 February 2016 - 19:52

Thanks Arthursmedley!!
Will try it out ​ :icon_e_salute:

#15 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 25 February 2016 - 17:14

Thats is only specific for BoS, this Guy needs it for MS-FSX 10. I do not use FSX, maybe this will give Catfish more info: https://msdn.microso...#mozTocId567955

or http://www.fs-force.com/  this seems to work. 

#16 Poniatowski

Poniatowski
  • LocationPA, USA

Posted 18 October 2016 - 14:05

I am just getting into this game... finally have a computer that can actually run it.....

I have the Sidewinder Pro...... I am not good with electronics, so I am lost.....

Am I better off buying a new stick? OR, is there an actual USB adapter that works?

I am running on whatever comes before windows 10......

thxs,

#17 Deciman

Deciman

Posted 19 October 2016 - 15:40

Hi guys

I've just modded my old Sidewinder FF Pro

but I get no Force Feedback...

System: Win8.1 64

I've built the adapt-ffb-joy equiped with a teensy 2.0 (no ++) board.

First time I've soldered the optional capacitators, too.

I've tried 3 different hex files:

3DPro32u4-9.hex (the teensy just was blinking after programming and rebooting, but nothing more happened. No joystick detected)

3DPro32u4-10.hex (joystick was recognized as a 'Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro (USB)' and working)

No FF.

And all testing programs said 'no FF stick detected'

Later I've read that this hex doesn't support FF at all...

adaptffbjoy-r54.hex (Joystick was recognized as 'LUFA Joystick wFFB' and is working)

No FF.

'fedit.exe' and 'FFConst.exe' find and support the stick.

Next try I removed the 2 capacitators, but no changes...

Whenever I set an option in these testing programs I see my teensy blink once, but noting else happens. No FF effects.

I've also tried to install the unsigned 'LUFA DualVirtualSerial' driver.

No Changes...

I checked all the connections with a multimeter:

All wires are ok. All resistors have the correct size...

Any Idea?

Deciman

#18 Deciman

Deciman

Posted 21 October 2016 - 13:59

Hi guys

I've just modded my old Sidewinder FF Pro

but I get no Force Feedback...

Finally I've got it woking..

I've
- Installed the com port drivers from teensy (don't know if that was one of the reasons or not)
- tried several hex files
- rebooted firmware several times
- hotplugged joystick several times (with and without power plugged to the stick)

And suddenly something felt different... The 'basic' force from the stick was missing
and it was reacting to the FF test programms....

I think there are several issues...
- First the com port.. Is seems that it is loaded but not started allways.
- Then the hex file. I've managed to get my stick working with only one file that I found at ' http://www.descentbb...php?f=8&t=19061' as an attachment (Posting is http://www.descentbb...=348404#p348404 )
(adaptffbjoy-shift-beta-hex-files.zip -> adaptffbjoy-shift-svn-2014-11-08-beta.hex)
All other hex files were not working at my present testing state.
- Most times (but not allways) it helps to plug the stick in WITHOUT power connected, wait until windows got is and then connect power.

I've also figured out that it makes no difference wether the optional capacitators are built or not.
FF works without them, too (if it works...)

Hope it helps...

Deciman

Edit: Working with the same config on Win7 32, too.
Here I've installed the com port drivers from the adaptffb-master package...
So it seems to make no difference which driver is used. Teensy or the one from the package. Both are working...

#19 SteveH4263

SteveH4263

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:56

I know this is a old thread.  But I was looking to purchase ffb to usb converter for Microsoft Sidewinder ffb  joystick. Does anyone make these to puchase?

#20 Scanjo

Scanjo

Posted 14 December 2016 - 15:12

I am one of the people who are making these adapters. I have a web page which has a FAQ and it may help solve some issues.

Http://ffb-vert.iowajohnsons.com

#21 Scanjo

Scanjo

Posted 14 December 2016 - 15:14

I am one of the people who are making these adapters. I have a web page which has a FAQ and it may help solve some issues.

Http://ffb-vert.iowajohnsons.com

#22 Scanjo

Scanjo

Posted 14 December 2016 - 15:15

I don't plan to frequent this site. If needed, contact me directly through my web page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users