Photo
- - - - -

French mission editor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 10 November 2009 - 23:50

Am i the only French flyer of this game?…guess not! ;)
It would be great of Neoqb to translate mission editor pdf in French, please.
I would love to create custom mission, and to share it, but my English is too poor to realy understand some subtilities of ME…
This editor is really powerfull, may be too much for me! But i guess i'm not that idiot… :lol:
Thanks

#2 Executioner

Executioner

Posted 11 November 2009 - 13:05

then they would also need to translate it into German, Spanish, Dutch, and so on…

Do you think everyone speaks good English or can understand any word? Certainly not. But all non-natives have to put in some effort. It's really not that much effort to open a dictionary and type in some words you don't understand.

I don't see why they should make an exception for the French. Perhaps French-speaking should start improving their knowledge of foreign languages? ;)

#3 stethnorun

stethnorun

Posted 12 November 2009 - 00:05

then they would also need to translate it into German, Spanish, Dutch, and so on…

Do you think everyone speaks good English or can understand any word? Certainly not. But all non-natives have to put in some effort. It's really not that much effort to open a dictionary and type in some words you don't understand.

I don't see why they should make an exception for the French. Perhaps French-speaking should start improving their knowledge of foreign languages? ;)

Because most Americans have learned French? Not to come down too hard on ya Executioner, but when people speak of American arrogance, this is one of those prime examples - expecting the entire world to learn English while we remain ignorant of their languages.

That being said, he does have a point in that it took some effort just to get it into English. Getting it translated into all European languages is probably not in the cards, at least for now.

Try to piece the ME manual together as best as you can and if you have pressing questions, feel free to come back on here and ask. Everyone wants to help.

#4 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:34

Perhaps if a native French speaker would like to start translating the manual into French… ;) Bonne chance!

#5 Executioner

Executioner

Posted 13 November 2009 - 21:31

The Americans AND the French are crowned champions in ignoring other languages… ;)

And as far as I know, most Americans have not learned French and therefore can't speak or understand French very well.

Anyway, I didn't intend to be rude. I just wanted to make my point of view clear, that if you do this, you ought' be fair and do it in multiple languages, too. But as the translation into English already took some time (next to quite some bucks as well, probably) it won't be for tomorrow. There are more important things than serving everyone in his or her language, for now, at that.

#6 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 13 November 2009 - 22:05

Reputations are changing. In a recent world-wide survey of hotel employees, Americans were ranked as being the most likely to try to speak the local language. Perhaps enough of us decided we didn't like being known for expecting everyone to speak English. ;)

#7 stethnorun

stethnorun

Posted 13 November 2009 - 22:45

The Americans AND the French are crowned champions in ignoring other languages… ;)

And as far as I know, most Americans have not learned French and therefore can't speak or understand French very well.

Anyway, I didn't intend to be rude. I just wanted to make my point of view clear, that if you do this, you ought' be fair and do it in multiple languages, too. But as the translation into English already took some time (next to quite some bucks as well, probably) it won't be for tomorrow. There are more important things than serving everyone in his or her language, for now, at that.

Actually one of the neoqb devs did a great job of getting it into English in the first place. I took a quick proofreading/editing pass at it, as I do with Loft's blog posts and other things. The ME manual was actually in pretty good shape before I even got to it. The blog posts are bit more "conversational" and less technical, so they take a bit more editing.

I noticed a few people complimenting the improved English in the blog posts, and while I do take some pride in that (I'm trying to becoming a writer myself…it made me fairly happy when one person said it was "perfect English"), it also shows that neoqb, with Lefty's guidance especially, is trying hard to use every tool at their disposal (me, other mods and BETA testers, etc.) to not only make the game great, but also communicate with everyone as clearly as possible.

#8 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:30

When i asked a pdf in french, i meaned in other language too…it's not that difficult for them to do it. It's more difficult for us (who are not expert in english) to understand technical words used in ME. It's not that we don't want to open a dictionnary…it will not give us the sense of few things. (like how mission objective translator works - still didn't understand).
However, French most of all, try to learn foreign languages…i don't think most of Americans or English do the same - but its not the subject. The more you translate things to make it easier to understand, the more you tuch people, and they will really enjoy it.
It was anyway just a suggestion, as this part of forum is for.
;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users