Photo
- - - - -

Career Issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sturmkraehe

sturmkraehe

Posted 10 November 2009 - 22:36

I think a thread is due dealing with issues in the career mode since this is one of the principal points in RoF.

To start with: I think the missions are a bit of a bore. They all look the same so that I have the impression that they were generated by an automatic tool. It's always two enemies. Rarely more. And they always appear in the target area. Never out of surprise.

Furthermore, flying the SE5 career, I'd like to complain about the weather. Almost every third mission it's rain. I doubt that back then they flew in bad weather. I don't mind to have occasionally some rain, but not that often please.

And "short" mission is still quite long in tearms of travel.

#2 taleks2

taleks2

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:26

To start with: I think the missions are a bit of a bore. They all look the same so that I have the impression that they were generated by an automatic tool.
They are generated.

It's always two enemies. Rarely more. And they always appear in the target area. Never out of surprise.
Well, this depends on generation template. Sure it's a bit boring, but it was required by perfromance restrictions also.
Career mode will be updated and some old demanded features will be added.

Furthermore, flying the SE5 career, I'd like to complain about the weather. Almost every third mission it's rain. I doubt that back then they flew in bad weather. I don't mind to have occasionally some rain, but not that often please.
Weather database is historically accurate, at least it is supposed to be.
So, may be it was really rainy at that time of year for nearbys of your squadron home aerodrome.

#3 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:36

Weather database is historically accurate, at least it is supposed to be.
So, may be it was really rainy at that time of year for nearbys of your squadron home aerodrome.

That is very cool. 8-)

#4 sturmkraehe

sturmkraehe

Posted 15 November 2009 - 13:57

Thank you for the replies. Very intersting.

It's cool to know that the weather is or is close to accurate. Can you confirm that the squadrons went out even in rainy days? My guess would be no (simply because visibility was back then one of the major issues and rain doesn't provide much).

Another thing I would like to know:
In the single missions, who is the squadron leader? Do you have to order your squadron to attack? I just came home from a attack mission on an enemy airfield in the Fokker Tripe scenario section. I went down to attack the enemies, my friends staid up and soon I found myself in big trouble with fatal ending. Played this mission three times always with the same result. If my friendies would support me it would be better. So can you help me here what to do in order to get support from my comrades?

#5 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 15 November 2009 - 14:07

Another thing I would like to know:
In the single missions, who is the squadron leader? Do you have to order your squadron to attack?

That depends on the mission. If the briefing does not say then I guess the easiest way to tell is, are you the one out front? If you are the leader there may be some situations where you want to give your flight orders. In the ROF launcher under Settings>Input you can set "Flight Leader Commands" or just review the default settings.

#6 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 15 November 2009 - 18:06

I've read multiple pilot memoirs with references to flying in bad weather. One described the weather as being so bad that their aircraft seemed to be going nowhere pointed into the wind (and rain).

#7 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 15 November 2009 - 21:39

They flew in almost all weathers except high wind. Frostbite was common and the long scarf really was an essential; long because it was used for frequently wiping oil and rain-drenched goggles as well as protecting an ever-swivelling neck.

#8 sturmkraehe

sturmkraehe

Posted 29 November 2009 - 13:07

Couldn't we have an option "My Side has air superiority" = like it is now with only two enemies vs 5-7 own planes, "Equilibrum" where both sides have same strength (= X planes each) and "My side outnumbered" where my side with 5 planes faces 8+ enemy fighters for the career mode? Up to now it's "a bit" boring: my side with 5 planes fighting of 2 enemy planes. Obviously it is usually my AI comrades that make the kill with their still superiour aiming skills. But don't tune down AI aiming skills but allow to make a target rich area please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users