- - - - -

Rise of Flight: United Edition - RELEASED

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Zak_1CGS

Zak_1CGS

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:56

Dear Pilots!

Today we’re deploying one of the most technologically significant updates for Rise of Flight. Along with an enhanced user interface, we have added the Mouse Control option. This system wasearlier tested within the ILYA Muromets project, and now, after a series of improvements it is coming to Rise of Flight. The testing employed experienced virtual pilots as well as players who are used to a traditional keyboard+mouse set up. Thanks to their assistance, and using our own flight sim experience we created what we believe is the most honest mouse control system in a flight-sim product.

We say “honest” because in the updated ROF a mouse is nothing but an input device, a new additional type of controller, but not an overly automated virtual assistant that cheats. It’s simply an opportunity for you to play a game you have an interest in even though you don’t have specific controllers for it such as joysticks and pedals.

While working on this system and transferring the general control functionality to the mouse, we haven’t touched the flight models or brought changes to the game world’s physics. Thus, Rise of Flight as you’ve known and loved for almost 6 years remains the same. Furthermore, it’s becoming more open and friendly to players who have an interest in WWI aviation and have no joystick - yet.

So, before the new version goes public we’d like to appeal to players whose first experience in Rise of Flight will be with the mouse control option. Flying a plane using all of its technical capabilities, taking down strong and skilled opponents and having a true sensation of flight is only possible when using the dedicated game controllers such as a joystick and pedals. The PC mouse simply was never designed to be a flight sim device so it has its limitations. Nevertheless, we’re giving it a solid chance to take you high in the magnificent endless sky of Rise of Flight.

Now, a couple of words about the GUI changes that we think you should be aware of in advance.

Firstly, we've turned the botton menu into 5 compact icons that you'll find on the top center part of the screen. Their contents remain the same.

Secondly, the control settings have been updated. Now you can choose between classic joystick control and mouse control options.

Thirdly, we've added the ILYA MUROMETS campaign devoted to Igor Sikorsky's aircraft. Everyone who buys the plane on our site, or has pre-ordered the ILYA Muromets project, gets this unique set of missions on Eastern front.

Some significant changes were made to the 2-D instruments as well.

And the last but not least is the Improved Gunnery option which activates a slightly different machine gun fire setting improving the overall accuracy of automatic fire. This option is also available in the Dedicated server settings.

Thanks for your continued support, and see you in the skies of ROF!

[edit by Panthercules]

BTW - NEW SKIN PACKS ALSO RELEASED :)

Volumes 17 of the Community Historical and Community Fictional Skin Packs are now available (links up on the Useful Materials Page) - they're rather small this time around since it's only been about a month since the last volumes came out, but I thought you might want to know about them.

#2 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:26

And the last but not least is the Improved Gunnery option which activates a slightly different machine gun fire setting improving the overall accuracy of automatic fire. This option is also available in the Dedicated server settings.

Please elaborate!

"Improved" as in a helper that makes your MG fire more accurate, or "improved" as in there is a fix for the long range sniping now?

Many thanks for your relentless efforts! :S!:

#3 Zak_1CGS

Zak_1CGS

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:43

"Improved" as in a helper that makes your MG fire more accurate, or "improved" as in there is a fix for the long range sniping now?
This mode has decreased dispersion based on research that was made for Battle of Stalingrad.

#4 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:53

This mode has decreased dispersion based on research that was made for Battle of Stalingrad.

Thanks! Which one would you consider more realistic in a WWI environment?

#5 SYN_Mike77

SYN_Mike77

Posted 29 January 2015 - 13:24

I bought IM on (or very shortly after) the day it was offered. I just want to jump in before people start lamenting the death of RoF due to mouse aim War Thundering of the sim. I tried out the mouse control just to see what it is like. Zak did an excellent job of describing it in the above announcement. No one who has a joystick will switch to mouse control! Your joystick is vastly superior to the mouse. But you can fly with the mouse now. I would suggest with auto rudder enabled at the very least. For the vast majority of us on this board it will not change the sim at all. It might bring in more people though. Get ready for request on which joystick I should buy questions!

#6 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 29 January 2015 - 15:10

What Mike says. It uses mouse to look and/or control stick, forcing compromises between situational awareness and control. Also, once you have stick reflexes, good luck learning mouse!

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#7 1PL-Husar

1PL-Husar

Posted 29 January 2015 - 15:25

Excellent news!
New gauges  - combination from ROF and ILYA are what i was asking for.
About  decreased dispersion - i was hopping for that to,  it was wrong but i olso accepted  the argument that it was necessary to avoid siniper shots. Overall i'm for more realism  than game balance!

Thank You very much!

34zg6jd.jpg

#8 Rashmeister

Rashmeister

Posted 29 January 2015 - 15:59

Glad too see that the devs still updates this game! :)
On a side note, is it possible to move parts o the Ui? The engine gauges are now where the map is.

#9 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 29 January 2015 - 16:10

On a side note, is it possible to move parts o the Ui? The engine gauges are now where the map is.

Not sure if you can move any of the gauges (don't think so), but you can always move the map out of the way if you want to. Or, you can toggle the gauges off when you want to use the map - you can even assign the map and the gauges to the same key so that it automatically switches from one to the other (that is a little tricky but it does work - assign the "M" key to one of the three columns for the simple gauges, but leave the other two simple gauge controls assigned - when you first start, both map and gauges will typically be on, so you have to first turn off the simple gauges with one of the other key commands (e.g., LCTRL+I) - then pressing M will toggle between map and simple gauges).

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#10 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 29 January 2015 - 16:18

I hope Zak doesn't mind, but I've updated the first post to let people know that the new Skin Packs (Volume 17) have also been released with this update - links are up on the Useful Materials Page (and I'll have my mirrors up a bit later today as usual).

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#11 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 29 January 2015 - 16:32

Well, if the updates get more people interested in WWI aviation and the game, then it's all for the good!

#12 Strid

Strid
  • LocationItaly

Posted 29 January 2015 - 16:55

Well, if the updates get more people interested in WWI aviation and the game, then it's all for the good!

I agree, plus I like a lot the new 2D gauges

Oderint dum metuant

#13 CharlesDeRose

CharlesDeRose

Posted 29 January 2015 - 17:14

thx for all but why there 's no files for the hd1/hd2 historical skins?

"Je surmonterai"

#14 Zak_1CGS

Zak_1CGS

Posted 29 January 2015 - 17:15

I hope Zak doesn't mind, but I've updated the first post to let people know that the new Skin Packs (Volume 17) have also been released with this update - links are up on the Useful Materials Page (and I'll have my mirrors up a bit later today as usual).
Thanks a lot, Panthercules!

#15 PapaFlo

PapaFlo
  • LocationInnsbruck

Posted 29 January 2015 - 17:26

Thx for the update.
:S!:
Flo

intel i7 7700k@4,5Ghz watercooled with be-Quiet Silent Loop 240, GSkill Aegis 16 GB DDR4 Ram@2800Mhz, GigaByte GA-Z270-Gaming K3, Gainward GTX 1080 phoenix glh, TM Warthog throttle and stick (with 7,5cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind pedals, Saitek yoke, Saitek throttle quadrant x 2, Saitek trimm wheel, Gametrix KW 908 Jetseat, TrackIR 5

#16 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 29 January 2015 - 17:36

thx for all but why there 's no files for the hd1/hd2 historical skins?

Not sure what you mean here - there weren't any new historical skins done for the Hanriots in this latest skin pack, but there are several such skins in the previous skin packs (and the Official Skin Pack). You just need to download the necessary packs.

See this thread for more info about how the skin packs work (especially the Skin Pack FAQ mentioned therein):

STICKY THREAD COMPILATION - Useful Skinning-related Info

#17 EmerlistDavjack

EmerlistDavjack

Posted 29 January 2015 - 17:36

Thank you for continuing work on the game!

Dispersion mode…will have to be experienced I suppose.

#18 PoxyRogue

PoxyRogue

Posted 29 January 2015 - 17:47

How do I get rid of the awful simple compass, clock, throttle, mixture display? I play pure, with none of these aids. Clicking off "simple gauges" does not remove them.

#19 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 29 January 2015 - 17:49

How do I get rid of the awful simple compass, clock, throttle, mixture display? I play pure, with none of these aids. Clicking off "simple gauges" does not remove them.

They're not really "awful", though I never use them myself either (that's what cockpits are for :) )

All you need to do to get rid of them is to toggle them off with the key command that is assigned to them (default is LCTRL+i, I believe).

#20 Strid

Strid
  • LocationItaly

Posted 29 January 2015 - 17:53

Try the key map you can find in this thread:
Is there a complete keyboard map anywhere?

Oderint dum metuant

#21 1PL-Husar

1PL-Husar

Posted 29 January 2015 - 19:45

Why Improved gunnery is in Mission Settings simplifications if it was based on research ? In that approach cocking the guns should have options to.
I hope new gauges can be movable in future.

Anyway thanks again for work. Hope to see more updates in future.

34zg6jd.jpg

#22 1PL-Frog-1Esk

1PL-Frog-1Esk

Posted 30 January 2015 - 00:02

Why you have removed my reply to the topic? I spent so much time this game, and so treats me. :evil:

#23 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 30 January 2015 - 00:20

Frog, Sign in first then you can reply :D

#24 1PL-Frog-1Esk

1PL-Frog-1Esk

Posted 30 January 2015 - 00:25

#25 Ben_Twings

Ben_Twings
  • LocationAlbion

Posted 30 January 2015 - 00:30

The gauges used to be draggable but it seems it's been decided no longer, which means they can't be moved away from areas popularly used by mission builders for displaying captions.

Polish-infested London

#26 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:24

What happened to Luke's post?

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#27 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:35

while I understand the idea of letting people try mouse-fly to easily enter the game.. I DON´T understand that you while it should run in full realism multiplayer, mousepeople are lost there but it does allow cheating with the CCIP bomb impact point.

you can fly normaly, change options in under 5 sec, and have a CCIP-hud traget mark for bombing. and then change back and fly home normaly with a stick. so you can skip wind oriented bomb runs, using the bombsight and all essentially skill-based bomber game.

this really should NOT be in complex MP, as well as the "aiming help"

#28 RAF74_Limey

RAF74_Limey

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:48

Is it me or does the compass needle not point North. I thought they always did. :shock:

#29 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:52

How are you guys getting the aiming help thing to show up in expert settings? What settings are "full real" servers running that allow this to show up? I can't seem to see it when I use the expert settings in SP (haven't tried it in MP yet).

[edit] - I figured out what some folks were talking about in terms of the aiming help for the rear gunner (and that is weird and I've reported that as a bug to look into), but I haven't been able to make the bomb aid thing show up in Expert mode, so I still would appreciate some guidance on what it takes to make that bomb aid thing visible when it's not supposed to be.

#30 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:58

Is it me or does the compass needle not point North. I thought they always did. :shock:

?? The compass "needle" points in the direction you are flying - you don't always fly north do you?

These compasses work differently (backwards in a sense) from typical land compasses - instead of a fixed dial and a needle that rotates but always points North, these have a fixed "needle" (just a fixed line pointing along your line of flight) and a dial that rotates. The North indicator on the dial always points North, but the "needle" indicates which direction you're flying.

[edit] It dawned on me that you were probably talking about the "really simple" compass that shows up in the lower left corner when you turn the "simple gauges" off but still bring up a subset of them with LCTRL+i (instead of the cockpit compasses, like I thought when I wrote the above stuff). That does use the fixed dial/rotating needle indicator mechanism but the red part of the needle points the direction you're flying instead of north - so yeah, it does look a bit weird. (If it had been up to me, I'd have probably replaced the red part of the needle with a little airplane-shaped arrow-like symbol so it wouldn't look like a compass that doesn't work like one, but it wasn't up to me). I never use those things so I didn't realize what you were talking about at first - sorry for the confusion.

#31 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:31

Two steps forward with FMs, one step back with the dispersion change. Keep your eye on the ball. Even without this adjustment shooting from 200-300m is easy as cake.

#32 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:33

But you can fly with the mouse now. I would suggest with auto rudder enabled at the very least.

the "mouse autopilot" allready flies with ALL rudders the planes nose towards the white circle.. sometimes wise in using them, sometimes the opposite. but no need for autorudder, as mousefly is auto-aileron, auto-elvator and auto rudder.. in regard of an ai flying the plane with those things. it even tries (unsuccessfully) to exit spins with rudder only. with mouse is unrecoverable and bugged, though, as the white "target circle" is an outside world reference that sticks to a point in the outside world, so when you are spinning in mousefly, your view goes crazy….

#33 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:42

with mouse is unrecoverable and bugged, though, as the white "target circle" is an outside world reference that sticks to a point in the outside world, so when you are spinning in mousefly, your view goes crazy….

Maybe you need to rotate the mouse/circle counterspinwise, then ?

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#34 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:16

?? The compass "needle" points in the direction you are flying - you don't always fly north do you?

These compasses work differently (backwards in a sense) from typical land compasses - instead of a fixed dial and a needle that rotates but always points North, these have a fixed "needle" (just a fixed line pointing along your line of flight) and a dial that rotates. The North indicator on the dial always points North, but the "needle" indicates which direction you're flying.

[edit] It dawned on me that you were probably talking about the "really simple" compass that shows up in the lower left corner when you turn the "simple gauges" off but still bring up a subset of them with LCTRL+i (instead of the cockpit compasses, like I thought when I wrote the above stuff). That does use the fixed dial/rotating needle indicator mechanism but the red part of the needle points the direction you're flying instead of north - so yeah, it does look a bit weird. (If it had been up to me, I'd have probably replaced the red part of the needle with a little airplane-shaped arrow-like symbol so it wouldn't look like a compass that doesn't work like one, but it wasn't up to me). I never use those things so I didn't realize what you were talking about at first - sorry for the confusion.

that is a very good point, the compass shown in simple instruments is clearly modeled after a standard compass… and thus clearly wrong in the form its, the one before made a lot more sense aviationwise.. who ever designed that gui-bit has apparently not the slightest clue about aviation instruments, as that type of compass can not be used in airplanes.. and is a mudcrawlers or seafares item, not an airmans.. I´m sorry… but that is the truth.

and trupo, unspinning a spad with mouse.. now that is a task…

#35 Chris_Ihao

Chris_Ihao

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:33

I still dont get what gunnery mode is the most realistic one :shock:

#36 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:28

Two steps forward with FMs, one step back with the dispersion change. Keep your eye on the ball. Even without this adjustment shooting from 200-300m is easy as cake.

But it can be turned off, right? I hope all the servers will do so. Gunnery in BoS is quite ridiculous, more suitable for a Star Wars game. It's not just one step back with the gunnery… :(

#37 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:00

Your complaining is tired Gav. We made the new gunnery optional, you're welcome.

Jason

#38 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:10

Your complaining is tired Gav. We made the new gunnery optional, you're welcome.

Jason

Has he be complaining all the time? Yes. Is it tiring for some? Probably. Does he have a point, though? Definitely.

We're all super thankful for the FM corrections, but long range sniping is just as old an issue as those were. After the FM fixes we were hoping that maybe the other "biggie" will be tackled as well. Instead of this fix we got an option to make it worse. Hence his (our) disappointment.

#39 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:53

Watch out Reflected, its your turn to feel the rage you little complaining twat! :D
And you was so ok when you made just that trailer long ago hjihihihi

sry dude…I couldnt resist

Hehe :lol: Don't get me wrong, I still love RoF, I'm not saying it's crap, I'm not ragequitting, threatening the devs with leaving, asking for my money back. I'm just so anxious to see this one last problem ironed out so my favorite sim can finally be perfect (at least to me). :S!:

#40 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 30 January 2015 - 13:15

regarding the compass… I think just using the "simple gauges" one without digits in the center might be a ton better for a product wanting to be simulation, then the "needle"-compass screaming "arcadish with no clue, needle compasses like that are not used in planes for a reason ->acceleration error and mass balance)

just compare, the compass-rose one is ok, and leaving the digits out should be no big deal..

Attached Images

• comp.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users