Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

Liberator's Tutorials

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#81 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 17 September 2015 - 20:44

In this game applying the correct recovery inputs has no visible effect until a timer elapses, at which point the spin comes to an implausibly sudden stop. I don't see how feel is involved.

That's demonstrably false, Ben.

Several aircraft show an immediate response when the corect inputs are used - the Albatros series, as just one example (of several).

Regards,

4 :icon_e_salute:

#82 Ben_Twings

Ben_Twings
  • LocationAlbion

Posted 18 September 2015 - 01:34

That's demonstrably false, Ben.

Several aircraft show an immediate response when the corect inputs are used - the Albatros series, as just one example (of several).

I'm tempted to say 'Demonstrate it'. The Albatros range has a relatively quick recovery at about three seconds, nevertheless it is not gradual.

Polish-infested London

#83 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 18 September 2015 - 04:31

I've recovered aircraft in all sorts of positions in RoF, I'm not sure why you would have to wait 3 seconds to recover... that would make dogfighting hell.

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

#84 Ben_Twings

Ben_Twings
  • LocationAlbion

Posted 18 September 2015 - 13:04

I've recovered aircraft in all sorts of positions in RoF, I'm not sure why you would have to wait 3 seconds to recover... that would make dogfighting hell.

For example how long does it take you to recover a spin in a Dolphin?

Polish-infested London

#85 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 18 September 2015 - 14:05

For example how long does it take you to recover a spin in a Dolphin?

I can't remember the last time I spun the Dolphin.

#86 AdelzAKHARY

AdelzAKHARY

Posted 11 October 2015 - 23:11

what a beautiful set of tutorials. You should make a booklet out of all these and sell it! I'd get it!

#87 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 17 October 2015 - 05:44

School has been hectic as well as many other distractions (I haven't even been on the forum much in the past month or so). I'd like to get the next lesson done but I find I'm not having the time to do anything at the moment.

#88 Adger71

Adger71

Posted 19 October 2015 - 19:59

Fantastic stuff..great work B24 LIB,brilliant tutorials  :icon_e_salute:

#89 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 31 October 2015 - 06:41

"LESSON No. 9 "SPINS & RECOVERY"

It's finally done!

Attached File  img262.jpg   193.48KB   9 downloads

Attached File  img263.jpg   205.2KB   2 downloads

#90 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 31 October 2015 - 13:02

Clear content and presentation as always, good stuff.

Now if I could only get the N17 (my current Career mount) into a spin I could practice my recoveries.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#91 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 31 October 2015 - 16:09

Clear content and presentation as always, good stuff.

Now if I could only get the N17 (my current Career mount) into a spin I could practice my recoveries.

You already have practiced them!

The best way to recover from a spin is don't get into one :icon_e_wink:

#92 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 01 November 2015 - 00:10

Nice addition, Lib.

The "general" guidelines are starting points (if you don't know the exact procedure for your plane).  

In the appendix of the Manual, recoveries are listed for the various aircraft, for both left-hand and right-hand spins.

Also, in general, you would apply those steps in order, and hold all of them, until the rotation stops and you're in a dive.   You can remember the order with the Mnemonic -->  P.A.R.E  (Power, Ailerons, Rudder, Elevator).

Once you've stopped spinning and are in a dive, gently start easing the stick back to recover to level flight -- if you pull the stick back too vigorously in the dive, you'll very likely cause another spin (usually in the opposite direction of the first one).

Something else to keep in mind -->  elevator trim, and altered response curves  can  affect spin recoveries, so if you use those, take some practice time to see if (or how) your favorite plane is affected.

Also, in many planes, the rotation will stop within a turn or two with the proper control inputs, but several of them (DFW, EIII) will recover sluggishly (5 or more turns, so don't give up on those control inputs too soon), and in a few  planes, in certain spins (usually right hand), the plane will recover by itself if you just let go of the controls entirely.  This is where knowing your particular aircraft, and practicing spins can be very helpful.

Now in cases where the general steps don't work, some additional "tweaks" to the procedure to try are:

P:  Despite a couple instances in the manual (RE8, SPAD VII), I haven't found any planes that actually do require you to turn the engine off to recover from a spin, and I don't recommend that. You may need to blip the engine in DH2 & Eindecker. Otherwise, idle power is where to leave it.

A:  Ailerons  INTO  the spin, instead of neutral  (in several cases, the extra adverse yaw from the ailerons will help stop the rotation).

R: In ALL RoF planes, rudder is *always* held fully opposite the direction of spin rotation.

E: This one diverges a lot in RoF, from modern planes. Some things to try if the general step (E: Full Forward) isn't working...  (Keep the other inputs in though, especially rudder)

i.  Ease the elevator more aft - in some cases, like the SE5a, the more nose down trim you have in, the further aft (of full forward) you need. The Pfalz DXII left-hand spin typically needs elevator to be aft of full forward as well.

ii.  Rock the Elevator forward and backward - there's a bit of art to the timing of that, but when you get it, it will pop the nose down further, and then the rotation will quickly stop.

Liberator's advice of avoiding unintentional spins entirely is very sound, and the earlier you catch it trying to spin, and correct it, the better off you'll be.

That said, intentional spins, can be quite fun, and they're good practice, not only for improving recovery skill, but also recognizing how the plane behaves as it's getting into a spin.

Make sure you're well above 1000m (3300 ft) when you're practicing recoveries, and in the 3 or 4 really snarky spinners, get up even higher to 1500-2000m (5000-6500 ft).

Regards,

:icon_e_salute:

#93 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 November 2015 - 17:46

So.... what's next?

#94 Weese

Weese

Posted 04 November 2015 - 18:45

So.... what's next?

Perhaps a lesson on how to keep track of (Keep a visual) where your opponent is? I've been using the hat switch to look around but sometimes I get disoriented thus losing control and/or losing sight of the other aircraft.

Thank you for the great lessons so far!

Will

#95 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 04 November 2015 - 20:41

Hi Lib,

You've covered the basics of flight (t/o & landing), aircraft engine systems management (mixture, radiator, inline vs rotary types), some rudimentary combat ideas & tactics, stalls & spins, so perhaps something for navigation.

Many folks could use some basic instruction dealing with the concepts of pilotage, dead-reckoning, and landmark identification (NML, forests, rivers, towns, airfields etc.) to help get them from A to B.

That might be a handy "next lesson" - especially, for new folks popping into expert servers.

Regards,

4 :icon_e_salute:

#96 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 06 November 2015 - 18:10

I'm not really sure how far in depth I can go with either of those.

Learning to have good awareness is important but not really something I can fill an entire lesson with. Just look around every so often, I check my 6 and scan the area around my plane constantly.

Reading a map really is something I believe everyone should be capable of, I'm not sure how to stretch out "match the landscape to the map" into an entire lesson.

I thought about bombing, but again... I don't think I can make "put the numbers on the gauges into the bombsight" a whole lesson.

#97 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:58

I'm starting work on a lesson consisting of many smaller sub-lessons encompassing everything I am unable to make into a full page.

#98 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 January 2016 - 02:03

As of yesterday it's been one year since I started this project.

I didn't realize it's been so long since I updated it though. I sort of ran out of ideas.

#99 FlyingShark

FlyingShark

Posted 23 January 2016 - 19:42

As of yesterday it's been one year since I started this project.

I didn't realize it's been so long since I updated it though. I sort of ran out of ideas.

Maybe something about navigation?

I know navigation is rather straight forward in a WWI sim but keeping in mind the wind for instance and how to counter getting adrift by the wind.

You can vote my post up by clicking the green arrow on the right.

#100 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 13 February 2016 - 18:42

@Liberator:

First, thanks for the tutorials. Much appreciated!

In Lesson 9, you said your best advice for spin recovery is "Don't get into a spin!" ;) What are some common mistakes that pilots make that get them into these situations, and what would be some good tips or flying habits to help prevent those situations from happening in the first place, such as perhaps not reaching high AOA as you explained in Lesson 3? 

I had to do some Googling to learn more about what un-coordinated flight was. From what I read, there are times when one wants or needs to do this deliberately (to lose altitude without gaining airspeed, for example), but when it's not deliberate, is it something that only happens in the entry stage of a spin? What's the best way to "co-ordinate" your flight again before it gets as far as spinning? Would it be the use of rudder to put yourself back into flying straight or also using stick to turn back into it, or more than that?

In exile.

#101 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:02

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have on TS. I feel that I can give more in depth explanations talking than typing them out here on the forum.

I'm usually on the New Wings TS server on the evenings and occasionally during the daytime.

#102 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 14 February 2016 - 18:40

Thanks Liberator! I'll have to put that on hold for now, since I still have a ways to go before that can happen. All these things I've been asking (and reading) can't be put into practice just yet anyways, because I'm still dealing with some game issues, and then after hopefully getting them resolved and getting to practice and learn a bit, things'll be different.  

Cheers! :icon_e_salute:

In exile.

#103 Fritz-Fraghof

Fritz-Fraghof

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:43

Fantastic tutorials. Both highly informative and wonderfully presented. Thanks for posting.

#104 PA_Spartan-

PA_Spartan-

Posted 27 January 2018 - 18:31

This is so awesome. Could it all be compile in one single pdf?  :icon_e_salute:

Winning is optional, but trying your best is not.

#105 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:51

It didn't appear after a year that the creator was going to make an all in one PDF, so I made one for myself. I am sharing it with everyone. 

PDF File (Mega Uploads)

comic3_signature2018.png

#106 PA_Spartan-

PA_Spartan-

Posted 28 January 2018 - 17:02

PikeStance, you are awesome!!! :icon_e_salute:

Read it! It’s VERY good! :)

#107 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:54

I'll post a link to your PDF on the main page.

Although you did miss the Glossary of Terms. I also noticed the pages on landing got a bit messed up as well.

Good work nonetheless though. :icon_e_salute:

#108 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:13

Oops I missed the glossary. I add it in there and re-upload it. I also have a look at the pages to clean up anything. 

CORRECTED

The errors have been corrected. If you see anything else, let me know. 

comic3_signature2018.png

#109 PA_Spartan-

PA_Spartan-

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:50

I'll post a link to your PDF on the main page.

Although you did miss the Glossary of Terms. I also noticed the pages on landing got a bit messed up as well.

Good work nonetheless though. :icon_e_salute:

Thanks a lot for your great work! Are you planning on adding more chapters_

#110 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 29 January 2018 - 16:52

Most likely not, I ran out of ideas for things to add... plus I'm really not active in RoF anymore.

#111 PA_Spartan-

PA_Spartan-

Posted 29 January 2018 - 17:15

Sad to hear that but I understand. I hope the new coming Flying Circus inspires you again  ;)

#112 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 29 January 2018 - 19:01

I don't have high expectations for Flying Circus to be anything more than a copy and paste with no real improvements or benefits, most likely just a cash-grab and a way to drag RoF players over to their new servers.

I could be surprised, but 777 hasn't had a good track record of surprising me in a good way :icon_e_deadman:

#113 theSelf

theSelf
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 29 January 2018 - 19:50

I don't have high expectations for Flying Circus to be anything more than a copy and paste with no real improvements or benefits, most likely just a cash-grab and a way to drag RoF players over to their new servers.

I could be surprised, but 777 hasn't had a good track record of surprising me in a good way :icon_e_deadman:

I can't wait for flying circus- I love VR and flying WW1 in VR is my ultimate, most immersive experience I'm so excited for-trying VR in other flight sims really puts you INSIDE the experience and is a whole new evolutionary experience as you sit in what appears to be a life sized, fully 3d cockpit environment 

#114 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:34

Bugs being patched as they are discovered, being part of product and community in touch with dev team, getting back some of pilots who went BoX.

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#115 US103_Furlow

US103_Furlow

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:21

Bugs being patched as they are discovered, being part of product and community in touch with dev team, getting back some of pilots who went BoX.

And the possibility of SPAD XIII's with 235hp engines. :icon_e_biggrin:

#116 PA_Spartan-

PA_Spartan-

Posted 30 January 2018 - 12:22

19990420_full_en.gif

#117 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 January 2018 - 14:06

19990420_full_en.gif

:lol:

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

xAKPpvf.jpg

#118 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 30 January 2018 - 16:24

I would consider buying it if:

1. there was full engine control
  2. the landscape didn't look like cookie-cutter tiles
  3. there is actually a war going on
  4. better damage models than the 90's quality ones we currently have
  5. FM's anyone?

But I doubt any of that will make it into the game, so I don't see myself giving them another $60 or so for a slightly better version of RoF with less planes :icon_e_wink:

777 does have the ability to earn my faith in them back if Flying Circus is good, but their track record in the time leading up to the infamous 2015 patch, and how they handled the forums doesn't give me much optimism for the future of flight-simming with them... which is a shame because I can't count how many times I've said RoF has the greatest flight physics in a game I have ever seen, they just need to build on that and make the rest of the game better.

#119 theSelf

theSelf
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 30 January 2018 - 23:45

I would consider buying it if:

1. there was full engine control
  2. the landscape didn't look like cookie-cutter tiles
  3. there is actually a war going on
  4. better damage models than the 90's quality ones we currently have
  5. FM's anyone?

But I doubt any of that will make it into the game, so I don't see myself giving them another $60 or so for a slightly better version of RoF with less planes :icon_e_wink:

777 does have the ability to earn my faith in them back if Flying Circus is good, but their track record in the time leading up to the infamous 2015 patch, and how they handled the forums doesn't give me much optimism for the future of flight-simming with them... which is a shame because I can't count how many times I've said RoF has the greatest flight physics in a game I have ever seen, they just need to build on that and make the rest of the game better.

if you don't yet have a VR HMD yet or haven't yet flown flight sims (like DCS World, Battle Of Stalingrad etc) in VR- it's a whole new world of immersion that's so worth your time experiencing- for being fully native VR alone Flying Circus is so worth it to me, let alone the other plans they have for it (64bit, DX11 and improved visuals)..

#120 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 31 January 2018 - 19:03

People have gotten VR to work with RoF, granted it was with outside programming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users