* * * * * 5 votes

Liberator's Tutorials

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#41 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:34

I actually won't be in the fly-in to-morrow, or for a while actually if I get into the classes this semester… they go from 4:30pm-11:30pm (unfortunately), but I'm waitlisted in them so I don't know if I'll get in yet or not.

But…but who will shoot me down if you're not there Lib? :x
Seriously though, hope you make the class & good luck studying. :S!:

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

xAKPpvf.jpg

#42 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 31 January 2015 - 18:56

I've been a bit busy with school this week but the next lesson will be about radiator & mixture, expect to see them to-day or to-morrow :S!:

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

tahhfk.jpg

#43 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:38

A bit later than I wanted to finish, but I think this concludes the absolute basics for RoF.

LESSON No.5 "ENGINE MANAGEMENT"

tahhfk.jpg

#44 DadeatWorld

DadeatWorld

Posted 19 April 2015 - 19:02

Lib, Some input from a "newbie" ... An absolute delight to read; great format, wonderful art, funny, smart, very helpful ... please continue these ... also, your idea for making this a "booklet" is spot-on, that would be a very publish-able item!  Thank you!

#45 Ben_Twings

Ben_Twings
  • LocationAlbion

Posted 19 April 2015 - 22:52

downwind_land.png

Spot the mistake anyone?

Polish-infested London

#46 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 19 April 2015 - 23:22

Yep.  Landing with a tail wind rather than into a headwind.  :)

#47 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 20 April 2015 - 13:13

@ Ben is this a find Waldo thing? :P

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#48 cajunR3D

cajunR3D

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:56

Very informative on the radiator sit. Can't wait for "advanced" lessons.

#49 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:37

Sorry guys haven't been on in a while, been taking a break from RoF to play Naval Action as well as school, and working to start my own business.

I'll see what I can do to make some more tutorials though, I'm glad that you guys are finding them helpful. Now that I've gotten past the basics I'm not sure what to cover next... I was thinking of torque, gyro effects, and (maybe) P-factor. Gyro effects on a rotary would probably be pretty useful.

tahhfk.jpg

#50 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 30 April 2015 - 20:04

Hi Lib,

Yep - you might put one together on flight handling characteristics of rotaries in particular - dealing with torque and gyro effects (I doubt P-factor needs covering - it's a pretty minor effect comparatively), discussing rudder management in turns, use of blip switch, etc.

You might want to put some together for specific aircraft - the Gotha and it's adverse yaw, etc.

You might consider a lesson or two on BFM - covering simple maneuvers like Chandelles, Wingovers, Immelmanns, Split-S, various pursuit curves (lead, lag, pure), etc. 

You might want to put one together on the basics of formation flight

You might want to cover gunnery fundamentals - setting up a sight view, deflection shooting, 1s bursts, ranges, etc.

You might want to look at navigation by dead reckoning or pilotage in conjunction with RoF mission maps.

You might want to put something together on enemy aircraft spotting and recognition.

Just some ideas for you to mull over -- there's lots of material that could be distilled into beginner concepts and covered.

I'm sure that whatever topic(s) you decide to cover will be quite helpful for folks who enjoy this particular style.

Regards,

4 :icon_e_salute:

#51 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 01 May 2015 - 13:03

You just "might" want to grab a cold one and put your feet up .......

Chief

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#52 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 05 May 2015 - 00:32

Lesson No.6 is finally out!

I'll be releasing it in a few parts, this is Part: 1

sphgll.jpg

jigio4.jpg

102qc9l.jpg

tahhfk.jpg

#53 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:01

Excellent! Bravo!

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

xAKPpvf.jpg

#54 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:22

Awesome stuff, as always, Lib!  :icon_e_smile:

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#55 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 06 May 2015 - 19:02

My tutorials now have a steam guide page!

LIB's NEWBIE TUTORIALS ON STEAM

tahhfk.jpg

#56 JG1_Vonrd_J10

JG1_Vonrd_J10
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted 07 May 2015 - 00:54

Thanks guys, guess I'll start working on some more of these icon_e_biggrin.gif

I started off wanting to make it look like a comic (as you already know) but I found that my handwriting on un-lined paper doesn't quite go straight icon_lol.gifI remembered how much people in my class (including the teacher) liked my notes which I had been writing in a graph paper pamphlet, so I decided to go in that direction (I'll probably add some jokes and puns along the way to keep it interesting though icon_lol.gif)

91kpbc.jpg

If I do get a bunch of these done, I think it would be cool to put them into a pamphlet or a PDF file maybe. Once I get through the basics I can work on more complicated maneuvers & tactics as well for the "not-so-newbie" players. Maybe see what other's would want tips on?

icon_e_salute.gifeveryone

These look great, keep it up!

Looking at your notebook it seems that you might be an A&P or maybe an aeronautics engineer?

EDIT: Due to the quality of the drawings and the neat lettering, I'd wager on engineer... A&Ps (such as my self) mostly have atrocious handwriting... just look at any maintenance logbook.

#57 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:54

These look great, keep it up!

Looking at your notebook it seems that you might be an A&P or maybe an aeronautics engineer?

EDIT: Due to the quality of the drawings and the neat lettering, I'd wager on engineer... A&Ps (such as my self) mostly have atrocious handwriting... just look at any maintenance logbook.

I'm a steam train technician/engineer working to become an A&P, you were right the first time :icon_e_biggrin:

tahhfk.jpg

#58 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 11 May 2015 - 16:23

Forgot to add these earlier.

LESSON No.6 PART:2 "SHOOTING"

2luqjur.jpg

LESSON No.7 "GYROSCOPIC FORCES"

spiy5k.jpg

nwwmk0.jpg

tahhfk.jpg

#59 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 31 May 2015 - 17:56

Lesson No.8 "Defensive Maneuvers" is now up, There is a page 2 for it but I wasn't happy with the outcome, so I'll rewrite it and post it up ASAP.

33cvl0h.jpg

tahhfk.jpg

#60 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 10 June 2015 - 21:02

Last bit's of Lesson 8

dy9h5e.jpg

fjm1ra.jpg

Next lesson will be downing multi-seat aircraft.

:icon_e_salute:

tahhfk.jpg

#61 Genius

Genius

Posted 10 June 2015 - 21:24

Good works and very didactic  :icon_e_salute:

#62 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 11 June 2015 - 18:50

The problem is getting them to the new guys, all the ones I meet don't seem to have viewed my or anyone else's tutorials. I'm not sure how to get them to notice it's here.

tahhfk.jpg

#63 theSelf

theSelf
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 11 June 2015 - 18:55

Post in the Rise of Flight Facebook group

#64 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 11 June 2015 - 23:30

The problem is getting them to the new guys, all the ones I meet don't seem to have viewed my or anyone else's tutorials. I'm not sure how to get them to notice it's here.

It's a simple case of "Let's See How This Works" ..... we use to see this in Battlefield ALL the time. What, READ the instructions? Why? But hey I've been guilty of it too, though 777 has to share some of the fault for barring it so deep. But hey ... the ones who genuinely become smitten with RoF will back up and consume everything that is not tied down, never fear.

Chief

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#65 weegie

weegie

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:47

Great Stuff

I've just put them all in Powerpoint Presentation that I'll add to as new lessons become available.

If anybody wants that I could probably put it up in Dropbox, powerpoint or slide show. I could also try printing from the presentation to make the document into a pdf.

The slight problem appeared to be the first notes were saved in a lower res than the later making them different sizes. Easy to fix with PP or Word

#66 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:47

If you want to do that I'd be happy to post the links for them on the main page :icon_e_salute:

tahhfk.jpg

#67 Dobey

Dobey

Posted 23 June 2015 - 14:30

Thanks for the taking the time and making the effort to put these together.
They're both useful, and fun to read.

#68 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 June 2015 - 18:49

Glad you enjoy them, I'm hoping to get the next lesson out soon.

tahhfk.jpg

#69 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 25 July 2015 - 17:38

I've been a bit slow working on the next lesson due to fun summer activities, so here's a few old sheets I made back in the day.

Enjoy!

I made this sheet back when the HP400 first came out to help out with the fact that the bombsight was only in metric (the aircraft gauges were in Imperial). It also covers some of my other tricks for bombers.

(I didn't weather it on purpose... :icon_lol: )

1zxocxy.jpg

This next sheet was more of a joke to myself about how most of my dogfights against Dr.1's (and honestly most planes nowadays) go.

f4h1tx.jpg

tahhfk.jpg

#70 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 31 July 2015 - 23:58

I thought this might be necessary, it's not drawn so that I can add onto it if need be:

Here is a basic Glossary of terms you may hear in Rise of Flight:

Angle of Attack: Angle of the oncoming air relative to the angle of the wing (Lesson No.3).

Boom n' Zoom/BnZ: speed & altitude fighting which consists of making quick passes on enemies (usually from a greater altitude) and running or climbing to make another pass.

Central Powers: Germany, Austria-Hungary, & the Ottoman Empire (not to be confused with the Axis Powers of the 2nd. world war).

Convergence: Distance from the aircraft that bullets/gunsight meet.

DM/Damage Model: The aircraft's modeled ability to show/react to damage in the game.

Energy: An aircraft's ability to maintain it's momentum via a combination of speed & altitude (Lesson 6a).

FM/Flight Model: The aircraft's modeled abilities to fly ingame.

Ground Loop: the effect of momentum & drag on a conventional style landing gear aircraft where the drag is pulling back on the nose while the momentum is pushing on the CG resulting in the aircraft wanting to equalize the forces by spinning around during landing (Lesson No.2).

Gyroscopic Forces: The forces acting upon a spinning object. (Lesson No.7).

Hitbox: The non-rendered model around basic parts of the aircraft that detect bullet hits and trigger damage.

Leading/deflection: Firing ahead of a moving target to compensate for the time it takes the bullet to travel to the target.

Mixture: The ratio of Fuel to Air (Lesson No.5).

Ping/Latency: Your connection speed to the server measured in milliseconds, the lower the number the better.

Radiator: Temperature apparatus for a liquid cooled engine (Lesson No.5).

Response Curves: Controls the sensitivity and linearity of aircraft controls (Lesson No. 4).

Shoulder Shooting: Trying to steal a kill from a teammate usually by following directly behind and shooting past their aircraft to hit the enemy.

Spin: Wing on the inside of the turn is stalled while the outer wing continues to fly, resulting in autorotation.

Stall: Lose lift, Stop flying.

Triple Entente: French, British, Russian, and later US forces (not to be confused with the Allied powers of the 2nd. world war).

Turn n' Burn/TnB: Fighting style that incorporates using an aircraft's maneuverability (usually turning) to achieve victory in a dogfight.

Vulching/Vulcher: Someone who is unsportingly shooting targets (usually landing or taking off) to get an easy kill. I would extend this definition to include shooting planes that are obviously rendered defenseless or inoperable aka; engine out, spinning, missing wings, etc...

tahhfk.jpg

#71 A.Challenge

A.Challenge
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted 04 August 2015 - 17:02

Sticky! Sticky! (please)

campribV.png

#72 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 05 August 2015 - 16:29

Aloha!

Coming to you live from a beachfront condo in Maui! I'm on an IPad (Dont worry it isn't mine...).

Once I get back from my vacation I'll finish up downing multiseaters and start work on every noob's favorite subject... SPINS!

Level bombing might be next but it might be too self explanatory, the bombsight is pretty simple. I might also throw that dr.1 vs triplanes pic above into the energy management lesson or make a new example... I'll see how everything goes.

tahhfk.jpg

#73 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 05 August 2015 - 18:17

Enjoy!  Say Hi to NW-Leigh for me....  :icon_e_biggrin:

#74 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:02

I would have but I have no way to get ahold of him and I think he is on Oahu (I was only there for two days).

tahhfk.jpg

#75 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 August 2015 - 00:13

LESSON No.10 "Downing Multiseaters"

Here's how you go about killing bombers!

Attached File  img255.jpg   211.6KB   9 downloads

Attached File  img256.jpg   180.35KB   8 downloads

Next is one I probably done a while ago, Spins & Recovery.

tahhfk.jpg

#76 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:15

Just add my appreciation of your work here Liberator, good lessons and an engaging presentation.  :icon_e_salute:

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#77 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 18 August 2015 - 00:49

Glad you enjoy them, next one is spins and recovery;

This is going to be a tough one... I do everything by feel so I'll have to figure out how to put hand movements and plane reactions onto paper without it sounding like nonsense.

tahhfk.jpg

#78 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 18 August 2015 - 20:59

This is going to be a tough one... I do everything by feel so I'll have to figure out how to put hand movements and plane reactions onto paper without it sounding like nonsense.

No doubt, trying to explain P.A.R.E will sound like gibberish... :D  

That said, all of our RoF aircraft are based (loosely) on that approach, although there are distinct differences, most notably, that in most RoF planes, the aileron (the "A" part) usually needs to be "into the spin" rather than "neutral", and elevators (the "E" part) vary widely amongst RoF aircraft (not always full forward). In fact, sometimes they are distinctly affected by trim position (particularely in the SE5a), and often times need to be rocked back and forth (the Spad S7-150), or even (very weirdly) need to be pulled back (Dolphin and Pfalz DXII iirc) -- which strikes me as rather wrong. 

Of course, a few of the planes are self-recovering, if you just let go of the controls (eg. DR.1), provided you have enough altitude... 

Still, as a general rule of thumb, PARE is the proper place to start with spin recoveries (once they're past the incipient stage).

Additionally, recoveries for each plane are also listed in an appendix in the manual, although I believe that some of those are incorrect - based on some of my own testing.  In fact, that's a little side project I would like to undertake, and pass along to Luke at some point.

In any case, I'm looking forward to see what you come up with...

Regards,

#79 Lothar29

Lothar29

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:11

Best B24Liberator.. simplemente Genial :) <3

Allia29=Lothar29

BannerFEOWPiave2012.png

#80 Ben_Twings

Ben_Twings
  • LocationAlbion

Posted 17 September 2015 - 20:26

In this game applying the correct recovery inputs has no visible effect until a timer elapses, at which point the spin comes to an implausibly sudden stop. I don't see how feel is involved.

Polish-infested London

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users