• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#121 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 25 February 2016 - 19:35

Hello,

I've not been engaging in the career mode all that long (September 1st to 4th, 1916 -

Belgian service, Channel)

, but I do have some questions.

1. If one starts on September 1st, 1916, it should be possible to complete the 500 mission requirement for the DSO's highest grade, yes? Because I am aware that not every day gives your pilot a mission, and it could be several days between missions, like it was with Red Baron.

Also, as 500 missions seems to be the highest number required for any award with such a requirement, if it really is possible to obtain such an award's highest grade, then the other mission requirements should be fairly attainable. Also, I like that it does take some time to earn some, in addition to being realistic, it would mean you don't really run out of medals to gain until quite some time later (and perhaps not even then).

2. For the DFC, how much harder are the requirements for anyone at full Lieutenant and above?

3. And, though this may seem a silly question I think it's best to make absolutely certain, I take it the British DSC (ship requirement) can only be earned on the Channel map?

4. And, how long, in ingame time, does it take for each downed balloon to respawn?

5. About promotions, like with awards, here, is there an official promotion points info topic? Because, I'd like to know how many points it takes to get promoted for all the tiers' ranks.

Thank you.

1. Yes, it should be possible. The DSO with Two Bars was earned by only a handful of pilots, so you've done very well if you have earned it.

3. Correct, ships only show up on the Channel map.

#122 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 25 February 2016 - 21:37

Makes me wonder how it was available to earn before Channel Map showed up...

#123 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 25 February 2016 - 21:41

Original post (and Lukes change to awards) are from late 2014. Channel Map came in spring 2013. I remember flying my first careers over Channel under old awards rules.

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#124 Omega749

Omega749

Posted 25 February 2016 - 22:56

1. Yes, it should be possible. The DSO with Two Bars was earned by only a handful of pilots, so you've done very well if you have earned it.

I see, thank you in re question 1. What about Question 2, nothing for me to worry about with DFC conditions above 2nd Lt.?

As for 3, I see, I just wondered if any boats found on the rivers and in the lakes on the Western Front map counted as ships?

4. Don't worry, I'll find out.

5. Also don't worry, I found a topic with someone getting 45 points to reach Tier 3 (20 for T2, 25 more for T3).

#125 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:18

I see, thank you in re question 1. What about Question 2, nothing for me to worry about with DFC conditions above 2nd Lt.?

As for 3, I see, I just wondered if any boats found on the rivers and in the lakes on the Western Front map counted as ships?

4. Don't worry, I'll find out.

5. Also don't worry, I found a topic with someone getting 45 points to reach Tier 3 (20 for T2, 25 more for T3).

Q4 - On balloons "respawn" - they do not. During a mission, if a balloon is destroyed, it is destroyed for the remainder of the mission. When a new mission is generated, it is generated from scratch: the only thing the program carries over between missions is your squadron and personal details. So you might have a balloon shot down and see an identical one in the same spot on the very next day. 

This is actually realistic - balloons were not static emplacements but mobile units carried about in vehicles, so if there was a need for one in a particular place, a reserve could be deployed quickly.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#126 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 26 February 2016 - 16:08

Original post (and Lukes change to awards) are from late 2014. Channel Map came in spring 2013. I remember flying my first careers over Channel under old awards rules.

So do You remember how one could get that one particular (DSC) medal based on the old rules? Back when Western Front map was the only one available?

#127 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 26 February 2016 - 20:23

I can check logs of my old career and see when (and if) he got it. Most of my early careers were German, and some were deleted.

Forum moderator.

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#128 KurtZibling

KurtZibling
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:42

The DFC is also being handed out in 1917, which I suspect is a bug...

If we are going to ignore player feedback, are we also going to allow broken awards too?

#129 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:25

The DFC is also being handed out in 1917, which I suspect is a bug...

If we are going to ignore player feedback, are we also going to allow broken awards too?

I talked about this already. So join the club.

#130 KurtZibling

KurtZibling
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 February 2016 - 21:22

I talked about this already. So join the club.

Gentleman's club?

#131 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 27 February 2016 - 23:45

Gentleman's club?

Might be like this...

#132 KurtZibling

KurtZibling
  • LocationScotland

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:45

Dude, Luke done a lot of good work, and tried hard to make the award system the best he could.

Please chill out and accept that errors will happen. Try and conduct yourself like a gent, please.

#133 KurtZibling

KurtZibling
  • LocationScotland

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:58

And to recap on the German awards - I think it would be best if we either halved the flown mission requirements, or removed them altogether.

This is assuming the overall devs allow any changes at all, in the current time.

#134 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 29 February 2016 - 14:00

And to recap on the German awards - I think it would be best if we either halved the flown mission requirements, or removed them altogether.

This is assuming the overall devs allow any changes at all, in the current time.

I disagree - that would make getting the the German awards extremely easy, which I expect is why they are as they are.

Personally, I think this is the kind of thing that would be ideal for a mod, so that everyone could tinker to suit their play style, but it seems to be too deep in the code to mod.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#135 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 29 February 2016 - 15:37

Dude, Luke done a lot of good work, and tried hard to make the award system the best he could.

Please chill out and accept that errors will happen. Try and conduct yourself like a gent, please.

Don't worry, I am not a typical Pole who pettifogs for just everything and nothing - I have better things to do than that.

It's just after so many trials and fails, when discovering the problem was a simple typo, it's kinda hard not to loose it.

But at least other pilots will now know about it for the future.

#136 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 29 February 2016 - 18:58

This thread is not part of games documentation or manual, more of personal communication between Luke and players. And posts like one I deleted above do nothing to encourage Luke towards further interaction with RoF community. 

Bear in mind that Luke is not part of development team proper, I don't remember him being 777 emploee either, and I'm not sure he's even paid for all the work he does for RoF/IL2. As with Pat Wilson, we're just lucky he's here doing all these improvements the sim.

Over the years when RoF was in continous development he has completely overhauled the squadrons/awards part of Career mode, and plugged numerous other bugs both in awards (used to be full of bigger holes) and squadrons (German Triplanes, anyone?). Dig through this thread to see what serious problems looked like (and there was no foaming from mouth there...).

http://riseofflight....-mode-feedback/

It's just after so many trials and fails, when discovering the problem was a simple typo, it's kinda hard not to loose it.

Just read the post before pressing send button and make sure it does not violate forum rules... like rules about profanity or personal attacks. Or come back as soon as you cool down and edit your post before someone reads it. Otherwise, you may discover how to get a Distinguished Trolling Cross with Ban, too.

dtc_with_ban.jpg

Forum moderator.

#137 KurtZibling

KurtZibling
  • LocationScotland

Posted 01 March 2016 - 04:34

I disagree - that would make getting the the German awards extremely easy, which I expect is why they are as they are.

Personally, I think this is the kind of thing that would be ideal for a mod, so that everyone could tinker to suit their play style, but it seems to be too deep in the code to mod.

I counter that argument with these points, sir.

1) Much respected WW1 games, like Red Baron, and RB3D had kill-based career awards.

2) The kind of player who racks up megatons of kills seldom cares about medals anyway.

3) Due to the game's online nature, player modding is something we won't see.

4) And I don't think the medal awards criteria will be a complex code item.

#138 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:23

I counter that argument with these points, sir.

1) Much respected WW1 games, like Red Baron, and RB3D had kill-based career awards.

2) The kind of player who racks up megatons of kills seldom cares about medals anyway.

3) Due to the game's online nature, player modding is something we won't see.

4) And I don't think the medal awards criteria will be a complex code item.

We already have player modding for SP, all of which works in Career mode, some of it very good  - it just cannot reach the awards for some reason, except in PWCG where I believe it does since that is an external app.

Being online does not mean that mods cannot work.

I agree that the medal awards criteria should not be a complex code item, but it is, unfortunately, hidden. The developers tended to express a view that everyone should have the same experience - but they allowed a mods on mode and there are the helper settings too, so I can only describe their position on this as inconsistent and not well thought through.

As I said I would prefer that everyone could play RoF at the pace and difficulty that suits them. The current awards situation reflects LukeFF's considerable efforts of research and consultation with the community which was input into the code and I think most of us SP Career addicts are very happy with what he has done. Everyone is entitled to have a view on it of course, and express it in a civil way as you have done: please do not think I am trying to shout you down. If you want to establish that there is a majority wish for extensive changes then might I suggest a poll? 

#139 KurtZibling

KurtZibling
  • LocationScotland

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:33

No problem, and thanks to you also for not living up to your namesake and being so reasonable. :)

At the end of the day, I was just making suggestions, and I accept that the devs are not really into making changes at this stage.

RoF is the last great WW1 flight sim, and I saw a chance to make career mode similar to the all-time classic games like RB3D.

But I guess it will never be, oh, well.

#140 zsmackless1

zsmackless1

Posted 04 March 2016 - 00:42

Is there a wat to erarn all awards? if i earase i notice some stay as "null was awarded" how do I get all awarsd if possible

Thanks

#141 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:24

It's scaled to be gradually harder at ranks above 2nd Lt. Shouldn't be anything to worry about. :)

#142 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:55

If/when 1CGS decides to put out another update for ROF, I don't see anything changing with the awards system, other than bugs being fixed. I gave some thought to changing the higher-level German awards, but I concluded the current requirements are reasonable. This is based on a number of reasons:

• Making the requirements any easier would make them too easy to earn, in part because the player can accumulate a lot of success before being promoted to the officer ranks.
  • As these are awards meant for officers, keeping the mission success requirement simulates the demands placed upon officers to properly lead their troops and fulfill the mission objectives, rather than being a glory hound and running off to do whatever they pleased to do. 

Furthermore, the reality is that these higher-level awards were very hard to earn. Given all the airmen that flew for Germany during the war, very few ever came close to earning the Empire's highest awards. Based on the numbers gathered from The Aerodrome, these were the number of airmen awarded each particular order:

• Hohenzollern: 91
  • Pour le Merite: 81
  • Max-Joseph: 10
  • St. Henry (Knight): 106
  • St. Henry (Commander): 1 (!!!!!!)
  • Red Eagle: 1 (again, !!!!!!! ;))

So, as I said, I think the requirements for these particular awards are fine. Yes, I know the AI isn't exactly the greatest, and I know many players can swat AI pilots like flies, but in the end, these requirements are meant for the average player and are meant to reflect reality, imperfect as those requirements may be. 

#143 KurtZibling

KurtZibling
  • LocationScotland

Posted 10 March 2016 - 16:30

If/when 1CGS decides to put out another update for ROF, I don't see anything changing with the awards system, other than bugs being fixed. I gave some thought to changing the higher-level German awards, but I concluded the current requirements are reasonable. This is based on a number of reasons:

• Making the requirements any easier would make them too easy to earn, in part because the player can accumulate a lot of success before being promoted to the officer ranks.
  • As these are awards meant for officers, keeping the mission success requirement simulates the demands placed upon officers to properly lead their troops and fulfill the mission objectives, rather than being a glory hound and running off to do whatever they pleased to do. 

Furthermore, the reality is that these higher-level awards were very hard to earn. Given all the airmen that flew for Germany during the war, very few ever came close to earning the Empire's highest awards. Based on the numbers gathered from The Aerodrome, these were the number of airmen awarded each particular order:

• Hohenzollern: 91
  • Pour le Merite: 81
  • Max-Joseph: 10
  • St. Henry (Knight): 106
  • St. Henry (Commander): 1 (!!!!!!)
  • Red Eagle: 1 (again, !!!!!!! ;))

So, as I said, I think the requirements for these particular awards are fine. Yes, I know the AI isn't exactly the greatest, and I know many players can swat AI pilots like flies, but in the end, these requirements are meant for the average player and are meant to reflect reality, imperfect as those requirements may be. 

@Luke:

I actually fully agree with your views on the matter of the higher orders...:)

But I still think the Hohenzollern and PLM should be kill-based awards, the only restriction being the officer rank.

That is really the only change which would make things perfect for the Central and Entente career campaigns.

Hopefully we might get to see career offline one day, and be able to edit (or even add more) awards ourselves.

#144 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 27 March 2016 - 20:32

Just out of curiosity - For what did Max Immelmann exactly get his Commander's Cross of St. Henry?

#145 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 27 March 2016 - 20:42

Just out of curiosity - For what did Max Immelmann exactly get his Commander's Cross of St. Henry?

"Military Order of St. Henry, Knight Commander, 30 March 1916, after his 12th and 13th victories"

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#146 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:12

"Military Order of St. Henry, Knight Commander, 30 March 1916, after his 12th and 13th victories"

O_o.... Aaaand... That's it??? And only he got it? No one else was considered worthly of it??? Not even his best friend and competitor, Oswald Boelcke, or even Manfred von Richthofen?

... Hmmm, guess loobying was very popular even back then.

#147 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 28 March 2016 - 14:35

He was from Saxony and The Military Order of St.Henry was an award of the Kingdom of Saxony.

#148 Flying_Bear

Flying_Bear
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Posted 20 April 2016 - 15:48

Couldn't you add information about the russian medals too? You can earn them in the Ilya Muromets-campaign. I got two; the Order of St. Stanislaus and the third grade of the St. George Cross.

If a bear can be in the artillery, why not in the airforce too?

#149 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 20 April 2016 - 18:13

Ilya Muromets campaign isn't career mode (which is what Luke is personally working on)... 

Forum moderator.

#150 Flying_Bear

Flying_Bear

Posted 20 April 2016 - 18:55

Oh

But it's still historical awards, and there is no russian career (sadly  :icon_e_sad: )

#151 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 25 April 2016 - 20:40

I don't have any idea what the requirements are for the Russian medals.

#152 Flying_Bear

Flying_Bear

Posted 02 May 2016 - 16:37

I got two questions:

1) Which ranks in each country are counted as "Officer ranks"?

2) If I, for example, are flying for Germany, and complete 60 missions and shoot down 20 enemy aircraft before I get officer, will I recieve the Order Pour le Mérite directly after being promoted to officer (since the Blue Max is only available to officers), or will I have to shoot down 20 aircrafts and complete 60 missions all over again?

#153 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 06 May 2016 - 21:18

I've got two questions:

1) Which ranks in each country are counted as "Officer ranks"?

2) If I, for example, are flying for Germany, and complete 60 missions and shoot down 20 enemy aircraft before I get officer, will I recieve the Order Pour le Mérite directly after being promoted to officer (since the Blue Max is only available to officers), or will I have to shoot down 20 aircrafts and complete 60 missions all over again?

Germany: Leutnant - Hauptmann

Great Britain: 2nd Lieutenant - Major

USA: same as Great Britain

France: Sous Lieutenant - Captain

Belgium: same as France

2. You will receive it directly upon being promoted.

#154 Flying_Bear

Flying_Bear

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:02

Thanks

#155 Flying_Bear

Flying_Bear

Posted 16 May 2016 - 16:11

Wouldn't it be an idea to make a thread like this but that describes how to be promoted to different ranks?

#156 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:30

I think the number of kills/points you need to get to next promotion is fairly constant?

Forum moderator.

#157 Flying_Bear

Flying_Bear

Posted 03 June 2016 - 15:37

I think the number of kills/points you need to get to next promotion is fairly constant?

What do you mean?

#158 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 04 June 2016 - 17:17

No offence, but since I discovered the requirement for Belgian Military Decoration for Gallantry are the same as for British Victoria Cross - And I talked about it already here, albeit not too subtle - then shouldn't it be corrected already?

#159 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:26

Military Decoration for Gallantry (Second Class):
  • Eligibility: all Belgian pilots
  • Requirements: 3 aircraft shot down on one mission or an exceptionally good ground or ship attack mission

Military Decoration for Gallantry (First Class):
  • Eligibility: all Belgian pilots who already have the lower grade of this medal
  • Requirements: 5 aircraft shot down on one mission or an exceptionally good ground or ship attack mission

Alright, since it appears LukeFF is not around, and won't be for a certain period of time, I will have to inform the younger pilots myself. Given how long it took me to figure out how to get those two.

So, listen up, guys. With these two Belgian medals the description got it wrong. The actual requirements for these medals are the same as for British Victoria Crosses.

That is 5 kills per mission for Second Class, at least 8 kills per mission for First Class.

The best way to get them is to join the Belgian squadron equipped with SPAD 13, arm it ith Balloon guns, and go Balloon busting along the frontline, while avoiding AA fire. That is how I got them when playing with God Mode turned off.

I lost quite a lot of blood and nerves while trying to get those due to Luke's typo, so at least You shall be spared that frustration. I hope.

#160 HK1

HK1

Posted 09 September 2018 - 00:26

Hi, can You tell me how to earn the Croix de Guerre with 3 palms by the British ?
And what comes after this medal with 3 palms ?

Thanks !

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users