How to earn awards & cover yourself in glory in Career Mode

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#81 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester
  • LocationRedlands, California

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:38

Trupo covers it pretty well. I'll just add a couple of comments to what he wrote.

(And I think the lower level awards are quite meaningless; after Battle of Somme, how many German soldiers got themselves transferred to aviation, then to Jasta/Jagdschule, without earning Iron Cross 2nd Class beforehand? This medal should be given before pilots badge...) 

I miss the old system where you needed 400 kills to get Pour le Merite; kills are so easy to get in career that calculating your "real" score by dividing your career kills by ten makes career much more plausible. 

Well, the thing with the pilot's badge is that it was pretty easy to earn. The basic requirement was for the pilot to shown some sort of proficiency in combat flying, so the best way I could think of to represent that is to have the player complete one mission objective.

As for mission kill requirements: we have to remember that not all players are as proficient as others at scoring victories, so yes, the award system is set up to cater to the average player. Back in the day when an obscene number of victories was needed for certain awards, there were a lot of complaints that the requirements for these particular awards were entirely unreasonable, and I happen to agree with them. 

As for the Iron Cross: that would be a nice feature to have, where the player has the chance to be randomly given the IC2C at the start of their career. 

KurtZibling, I looked over things, and I think they are actually how they are supposed to be. :) You will get the PLM after 20 victories and completing the mission objective requirements. It's the Order of the Red Eagle that requires 70 victories. 

#82 KurtZibling

KurtZibling
  • LocationScotland

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:23

We did have many versions of that before. Problem with German orders is, anything higher than Iron Cross, 2nd Class in career was awarder only to officers. And getting field promotion to officer for NCO is much harder than getting these orders is for officer (again, historical). The effect was, the moment your Feldwebel got promoted to Lieutnant in 1916/early 1917, he found all German orders up to Red Eagle in his mailbox - a complete immersion killer. Much of other tweaking is limited by career engine.

(And I think the lower level awards are quite meaningless; after Battle of Somme, how many German soldiers got themselveds transferred to aviation, then to Jasta/Jagdschule, without earning Iron Cross 2nd Class beforehead? This medal should be given before pilots badge...) 

I miss the old system where you needed 400 kills to get Pour le Merite; kills are so easy to get in career that calculating your "real" score by dividing your career kills by ten makes career much more plausible. 

Hi there, sir!

I recognise that the promotion factor creates a problem in that regard - Fixable by simply removing the officer requirement for the HHO and PLM medals. Or auto promotion with 5 and 10 kills.

As for the medals being awarded all at the same time, you can only earn one medal a day, so if you killed 20 planes in one day (achievable only rarely in my view) then in that case, I humbly

think both getting the HHO and PLM is a feasable situation. Imagine the reaction to a pilot achieving 20 kills during one sortie in WW1? He'd get some medals, officer or not! :)

I am only looking for my RoF experience to be historically echoing historical events and fun. Waiting to get 400 kills to win a medal kills the fun totally.

The Allied medal system is perfect, the German one only needs a few tweaks and it will be too...

I citied that any medal higher than PLM should have the same requirements as now, EG: Missions flown successfully.

The first four German medals would be nice to be kill based. I think this is fair...

PS
And with all respect...Not everyone is an almighty killer ace, and I just want to win the medals when they were awarded in history.

If you can kill dozens of enemy planes in the one week, then my hat is off to you, well done, sir!

But, you would still only have the first four medals for a while with my suggested system...Not an avalanche of bling!

#83 KurtZibling

KurtZibling
  • LocationScotland

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:29

Trupo covers it pretty well. I'll just add a couple of comments to what he wrote.

Well, the thing with the pilot's badge is that it was pretty easy to earn. The basic requirement was for the pilot to shown some sort of proficiency in combat flying, so the best way I could think of to represent that is to have the player complete one mission objective.

As for mission kill requirements: we have to remember that not all players are as proficient as others at scoring victories, so yes, the award system is set up to cater to the average player. Back in the day when an obscene number of victories was needed for certain awards, there were a lot of complaints that the requirements for these particular awards were entirely unreasonable, and I happen to agree with them. 

As for the Iron Cross: that would be a nice feature to have, where the player has the chance to be randomly given the IC2C at the start of their career. 

KurtZibling, I looked over things, and I think they are actually how they are supposed to be. :) You will get the PLM after 20 victories and completing the mission objective requirements. It's the Order of the Red Eagle that requires 70 victories. 

Hi, Luke.

I know about the Red Eagle requirements, I just used the figure 70 to indicate the amount of kills that an average pilot maybe would have by the time he done 60 successful missions. Not realistic.

It is these successful mission requirements that are skewing the award of HHO and PLM medals in my view. If the mission requirements were removed, things would be just about perfect in awards.

And I agree, not everyone is a super ace. if a person gets 20 kills fast, then he is to be congratulated, but most people reach that kill count at their own pace, playing immersively.

As stated, I am cool with mission requirements on any medal above PLM, but please remove it for anything below...It would make me (and others) enjoy RoF for life!

It surely would be a return to the Red Baron days for us!

#84 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 18 December 2015 - 15:02

I wonder if it might be possible to have two alternate settings - one for "historical" criteria for use by players who take a more historical, DiD, cautious approach and don't tend to rack up ridiculously high victory totals and would like to earn the awards at the more historical pace, and another for the players who play differently and do tend to rack up very high levels of victories, so their awards could be spaced out and not all achieved after a handful of missions.

Maybe it would have to be some sort of dual-config file installed via JSGME or something, if it can't be done "officially", but it would be a nice option to have for those of us in the first camp.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 43.jpg

#85 KurtZibling

KurtZibling
  • LocationScotland

Posted 18 December 2015 - 15:17

Panthercules, that is a superb idea...I would support that fully, a sort of mod, that would keep everyone happy. :)

#86 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 21 December 2015 - 16:33

I wonder if it might be possible to have two alternate settings - one for "historical" criteria for use by players who take a more historical, DiD, cautious approach and don't tend to rack up ridiculously high victory totals and would like to earn the awards at the more historical pace, and another for the players who play differently and do tend to rack up very high levels of victories, so their awards could be spaced out and not all achieved after a handful of missions.

Maybe it would have to be some sort of dual-config file installed via JSGME or something, if it can't be done "officially", but it would be a nice option to have for those of us in the first camp.

I don't think the file that controls the award criteria is open to modders. As it is right now, I adjust the file and then send it in to the team for implementation into the game. 

#87 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 21 December 2015 - 16:37

Hi, Luke.

I know about the Red Eagle requirements, I just used the figure 70 to indicate the amount of kills that an average pilot maybe would have by the time he done 60 successful missions. Not realistic.

It is these successful mission requirements that are skewing the award of HHO and PLM medals in my view. If the mission requirements were removed, things would be just about perfect in awards.

And I agree, not everyone is a super ace. if a person gets 20 kills fast, then he is to be congratulated, but most people reach that kill count at their own pace, playing immersively.

As stated, I am cool with mission requirements on any medal above PLM, but please remove it for anything below...It would make me (and others) enjoy RoF for life!

It surely would be a return to the Red Baron days for us!

What I may do for the HHO and PLM is not remove the mission requirements entirely but rather adjust them downward from where they are at right now.

Also, can anyone deny/confirm that the requirements for the two Belgian decorations for Gallantry are working properly? There was a report awhile back that they weren't, but I've not had a chance to investigate it.  

#88 KurtZibling

KurtZibling
  • LocationScotland

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:02

What I may do for the HHO and PLM is not remove the mission requirements entirely but rather adjust them downward from where they are at right now.

Also, can anyone deny/confirm that the requirements for the two Belgian decorations for Gallantry are working properly? There was a report awhile back that they weren't, but I've not had a chance to investigate it.  

Hi, Luke! It's a good middle-ground solution!

I would respectfully suggest, halving the mission requirements for all German rewards? (although, keep the kill requirements as they are)

Another suggestion...Making the award requirements depending on kills or missions completed? This would suit all player styles.

#89 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:57

I'll see. :) Most likely, I'll keep the mission kill requirement, since historically that's what those medals were awarded for (unless someone can show me otherwise).

#90 KurtZibling

KurtZibling
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:19

Sounds great! Thanks for considering our suggestions...! RoF really shines due to efforts of dedicated folk like yourself, LukeFF. :)

I am playing a test campaign as a German, I my own play experience suggests this...I think having roughly the same amount of kills and successful missions would balance the German awards...

Maybe loosen the officer requirements for RHOH and PLM...It saves having to add new enlisted medals. Which would be nice to have, but I for one know requesting these edits is already much to ask.

Using your splendid awards framework - Here is an progression that would work, I humbly think...

Pilot’s Badge:

Requirements are kept the same.

Iron Cross 2nd Class:

Iron Cross 1st Class:

Knight’s Cross with Swords of the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern:

• Eligibility: all German pilots (or automatic promotion to officer?)
  • Requirements: 10 missions completed, plus one of the following: 10 aircraft destroyed, 3 ships sunk, 3 building facilities destroyed, or 50 ground targets destroyed

Pour le Merite:

• Eligibility: all German pilots
  • Requirements: 20 missions completed, plus one of the following: 20 aircraft destroyed, 4 ships sunk, 4 building facilities destroyed, or 100 ground targets destroyed

Knight’s Cross of the Military Order of Maximilian-Joseph:

• Eligibility: all German officers
  • Requirements: 30 missions completed, plus one of the following: 30 aircraft destroyed, 6 ships sunk, 6 building facilities destroyed, or 150 ground targets destroyed

Knight’s Cross of Order of St. Henry:

• Requirements: 50 missions completed, plus one of the following: 45 aircraft destroyed, 9 ships sunk, 9 building facilities destroyed, or 225 ground targets destroyed

Commander Second Class Military Cross of Order of St. Henry:

• Requirements: 60 missions completed, plus one of the following: 55 aircraft destroyed, 11 ships sunk, 11 building facilities destroyed, or 275 ground targets destroyed

Order of the Red Eagle:

• Requirements: 100 missions completed, plus one of the following: 70 aircraft destroyed, 14 ships sunk, 14 building facilities destroyed, or 350 ground targets destroyed

Just an idea, I think this version keeps a fair amount of missions needed, and also allows NCOs to get RHOH and PLM, to avoid the medal avalanche.

It could represent the "officer" medals being awarded for propaganda...Or maybe even have an "automatic promotion" to Leutnant when RHOH is given?

As I said...Just suggestions... :)

Thanks!

#91 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 03 January 2016 - 21:29

Quote:

"Military Decoration for Gallantry (Second Class):

• Eligibility: all Belgian pilots
  • Requirements: 3 aircraft shot down on one mission or an exceptionally good ground or ship attack mission

Military Decoration for Gallantry (First Class):

• Eligibility: all Belgian pilots who already have the lower grade of this medal
  • Requirements: 5 aircraft shot down on one mission or an exceptionally good ground or ship attack mission "

This should be changed to "Belgian officers". Only after I was promoted to Lieutenant did I finally got First Class. Plus a specific number of missions flown (like 25 for First Class in my case).

#92 /CCC/

/CCC/

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:47

Strange, I got the Medal of Honor in my American career without fulfilling any of the criteria listed in the OP, which says the award requires 5 aircraft kills in a single mission, 65 career aircraft kills, or an exceptionally good ground/ship strike mission. However, I got the award after a lone patrol in which I shot down three D.VIIs (an oberleutnant, a leutnant, and an unteroffizier) and two observation balloons, which brought my career air victory total up to just 44.

I think the single-mission criteria for the award might just be five aerial targets in total, which can be a mix of balloons and aircraft.

#93 KurtZibling

KurtZibling
  • LocationScotland

Posted 06 January 2016 - 13:21

Congratulations...!

And it seems the air kills were sufficient...!

#94 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 06 January 2016 - 17:02

Strange, I got the Medal of Honor in my American career without fulfilling any of the criteria listed in the OP, which says the award requires 5 aircraft kills in a single mission, 65 career aircraft kills, or an exceptionally good ground/ship strike mission. However, I got the award after a lone patrol in which I shot down three D.VIIs (an oberleutnant, a leutnant, and an unteroffizier) and two observation balloons, which brought my career air victory total up to just 44.

I think the single-mission criteria for the award might just be five aerial targets in total, which can be a mix of balloons and aircraft.

Well, that's the thing - The Forum here speaks of aircraft kills, but doesn't count balloon busting. So technically You got 5 kills per mission (3 Albies and 2 balloons), and that's why You got MoH.

It is quite an option for those who can't get used to game's stupid AI, since balloons infinitely respawn. You may not be a great dogfighter, but You can be a good Balloon Buster.

#95 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:47

Looks like Medal Awarding thing is still glitchy. Yesterday I finally I got Military Cross after completing 25 missions for British.... And at the same time, I got it's later counterpart, Distinguished Flying Cross, in July 1917. 11 months before it was introduced.

All before I transferred to 10 Naval Squadron, just to get more Mission Completed requirement.

LukeFF, seems like there's some work to do here. Even though personally I shoudln't even mention it.

#96 KurtZibling

KurtZibling
  • LocationScotland

Posted 03 February 2016 - 14:03

Just bumping this thread to ask if Luke has any news?

#97 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 05 February 2016 - 19:28

Guess no. Otherwise he would have said something.

#98 KurtZibling

KurtZibling
  • LocationScotland

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:06

Guess no. Otherwise he would have said something.

Indeed - But these things do take time, and I knew he was around.

#99 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 16 February 2016 - 20:26

Well, I am trying to get all the medals available for the career, and I can tell You one thing, for sure - even with Lone Patrols being scheduled over and over again to speed this up a bit (The game usually allows for 5 such sorties per day, sometimes less, sometimes more - I don't know how it is determined), Getting some of these medals is a pain in a certain place.

I don't even know where these requirements came from - Red Baron got his Order of the Red Eagle for just scoring 70 kills, not flying 210 times with success. And they certainly did not fly the way the game shows it - everyday, over and over again. 

#100 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:16

Well, I am trying to get all the medals available for the career, and I can tell You one thing, for sure - even with Lone Patrols being scheduled over and over again to speed this up a bit (The game usually allows for 5 such sorties per day, sometimes less, sometimes more - I don't know how it is determined), Getting some of these medals is a pain in a certain place.

I don't even know where these requirements came from - Red Baron got his Order of the Red Eagle for just scoring 70 kills, not flying 210 times with success. And they certainly did not fly the way the game shows it - everyday, over and over again. 

Are you sure about that? Read up on MvR's career and you will find that, in good flying weather, he might be airborne from dawn to dusk with the minimum time on the ground to refuel and rearm: although it would not have been in lone patrol sorties. This is just a game mechanic to allow those who want to rack up a huge score to do so. You only have to look at the scores on the leaderboard to realize that the number of planes that can be shot down is much higher than was humanly possible.

If anything, the game vastly underestimates the amount of flying you would have actually done, and makes it very easy to make contact and shoot down enemies. It is, after all, a game.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#101 KurtZibling

KurtZibling
  • LocationScotland

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:27

Are you sure about that? Read up on MvR's career and you will find that, in good flying weather, he might be airborne from dawn to dusk with the minimum time on the ground to refuel and rearm: although it would not have been in lone patrol sorties. This is just a game mechanic to allow those who want to rack up a huge score to do so. You only have to look at the scores on the leaderboard to realize that the number of planes that can be shot down is much higher than was humanly possible.

If anything, the game vastly underestimates the amount of flying you would have actually done, and makes it very easy to make contact and shoot down enemies. It is, after all, a game.

At the same time, the career mode should really reflect rewards.

If someone manages to shoot down the required kills for an award, they should get it. (if they have the rank)

It worked for classics like Red Baron, and I don't see how it can't work for RoF...

PS

20 kills per mission?
If career cheaters wish to play with unlimited ammo and invulnerability, they should get no mission score or medals at all...

#102 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:35

We are shooting AIs, using historical measures against them would make awards laughable. Personally I believe the time where awards were 10 times the historical amount (400 kills for Pour le Merite) was most awarding - you were getting your decorations one at month at best, and getting high ones required long moinths of day in, day out flying. As illustrated in this quote:

I don't even know where these requirements came from - Red Baron got his Order of the Red Eagle for just scoring 70 kills, 

"Just" scoring 70 kills? Besides Richthofen, Fonck was the only other pilot to score 70 confirmed kills (and Bishop only other one to claim 70 unconfirmed ones). 70 kills was best of the best in your nations air services. 70 weeks in RoF career is in-game month or two at best, without lone patrols. 

20 kills per mission?

If career cheaters wish to play with unlimited ammo and invulnerability, they should get no mission score or medals at all...

Between "Enchanced" gunnery and melting wings syndrome, the biggest problem is finding 20 enemy AIs in one mission... and patience to climb after them once they drag you down. No cheating. Without "enchanced" gunnery, five kills are nothing unusual, then usually you run out of targets.

It's moot point, anyway. The awards have been revised over and over, which culminated with Lukes' best of both worlds rules presented in beginning of this thread. This has been tried already, has been changed for current rules, and even if Luke decided to go back to rules he's abandoned already because they did not work, he'd have to convince development team to go back to RoF career mode.

(And when they do, please have them do Eastern Front careers instead  :icon_e_biggrin: )

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#103 KurtZibling

KurtZibling
  • LocationScotland

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:04

With all due respect, I think changing a few "sorties flown" values on the medals on the German side (the Allied awards are perfect in my view) is much easier than implementing a whole new front, non?

#104 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 17 February 2016 - 15:13

Honestly I cannot see what the fuss is about.

The DM, AI, AAA and front lay out are not realistic, why should the awards be any different? You can restart when killed, wounds cost you 4 days off instead of 4 months....

The current rules are a reasonable compromise, there are far more important things wrong in the game to worry about. (Secret knowledge tip - they will not get changed either).

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#105 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 17 February 2016 - 18:33

Except no one ever said they flew everyday over and over again. Besides, von Richthofen was a Commander of the whole Flying Circus - that meant he did not always fly into action, since commanding like 5 squadrons is a big challenge. Is he flew over and over again, he would have scored more than just 80 kills, given how many enemy squadrons were located near the region occupied by JG 1.

As for 'just 70 kills', I meant he got it for getting 70th kill alone. 

#106 KurtZibling

KurtZibling
  • LocationScotland

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:02

Honestly I cannot see what the fuss is about.

The DM, AI, AAA and front lay out are not realistic, why should the awards be any different? You can restart when killed, wounds cost you 4 days off instead of 4 months....

The current rules are a reasonable compromise, there are far more important things wrong in the game to worry about. (Secret knowledge tip - they will not get changed either).

Accepting the status quo seems to be the general philosophy of this community. When you are making excuses for the disinterest of the devs, then that is rather a poor show.

What I am requesting (if people would go back a few posts and see) is a very minor adjustment, not an earthquake. Not like huge coding demands. A few numbers changed.

It would bring the central awards into line with the perfect allied award system...But it seems I question the holy orthodoxy here...! ;)

#107 KurtZibling

KurtZibling
  • LocationScotland

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:07

Except no one ever said they flew everyday over and over again. Besides, von Richthofen was a Commander of the whole Flying Circus - that meant he did not always fly into action, since commanding like 5 squadrons is a big challenge. Is he flew over and over again, he would have scored more than just 80 kills, given how many enemy squadrons were located near the region occupied by JG 1.

As for 'just 70 kills', I meant he got it for getting 70th kill alone. 

Agreed!

I'm glad someone else here understands.

Many medals to men like Richthofen were prestige awards for achievements that were amazing by that era's standards. That is the point of awards.

Like myself, I suspect Wykletpl role plays his career pilot, not trying to rack up 10 kills a day, but staying alive and gaining kills as they happen.

That is why gaining medals for the set kills is a good thing...Striving for 70 kills is more fun than the dreary experience of 210 empty sorties...

#108 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:21

Accepting the status quo seems to be the general philosophy of this community. When you are making excuses for the disinterest of the devs, then that is rather a poor show.

What I am requesting (if people would go back a few posts and see) is a very minor adjustment, not an earthquake. Not like huge coding demands. A few numbers changed.

It would bring the central awards into line with the perfect allied award system...But it seems I question the holy orthodoxy here...! ;)

Disagree!  

This is an old game which is no longer under development, it is not going to be altered just because a couple of people on the forum complain. What you do have, however, is a wide variety of difficulty settings and optional mods to vary the experience as you like. No one is forced to fly solo missions every day. There is no "orthodoxy" so you can stop kidding yourself that you are some kind of courageous iconoclast.

You might be requesting X but perhaps someone else wants Y. LukeFF went to a great deal of trouble and consulted widely to come up with the current formulas. They are reasonable - there is no such thing as a right answer in this kind of situation.

As to how Wykletpl role plays I neither know no care, nor can I account for his strange interpretation of WW1 aviation. What I know is that I play Career dead-is-dead plus various mods to improve realism, and I can assure you that getting to 70+kills is not at all easy, but takes time and patience, just as it should.  

If you find the current medals schedule so objectionable why not make up your own and award yourself what you feel is right. You could make some cardboard cut out medals ....

#109 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 18 February 2016 - 15:01

Balloons count as aircraft victories, so yes, that's why you were awarded the MoH. 

#110 LukeFF

LukeFF
  • Tester

Posted 18 February 2016 - 15:04

I can't do anything with the awards until 1CGS decides to put out an official update.

#111 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 18 February 2016 - 18:36

Another medal glitch in career - I got to 120 mission accomplished via some "schedule lone patrol" for the British, and the game gave me DFC with a bar. 

I know I should be happy with it, but... It's the end of September 1917. That medal didn't even exist at the time. What the heck is going on here?

#112 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 18 February 2016 - 21:36

OK. Speeding this "Mission Completed" thing and DFC glitch together provides some hint for future British pilots. The requirements here are for 2nd Leutenant and says it's harder for higher rank.

So, If You need to know how it looks more or less for fighter pilots, for the rank of Major to get Distinguished Flying Cross with 2 bars the requirements, based on what I just saw, are:

150 mission completed, 40-50 kills scored.

LukeFF, is that correct?

#113 KurtZibling

KurtZibling
  • LocationScotland

Posted 18 February 2016 - 23:31

Disagree!  

This is an old game which is no longer under development, it is not going to be altered just because a couple of people on the forum complain. What you do have, however, is a wide variety of difficulty settings and optional mods to vary the experience as you like. No one is forced to fly solo missions every day. There is no "orthodoxy" so you can stop kidding yourself that you are some kind of courageous iconoclast.

You might be requesting X but perhaps someone else wants Y. LukeFF went to a great deal of trouble and consulted widely to come up with the current formulas. They are reasonable - there is no such thing as a right answer in this kind of situation.

As to how Wykletpl role plays I neither know no care, nor can I account for his strange interpretation of WW1 aviation. What I know is that I play Career dead-is-dead plus various mods to improve realism, and I can assure you that getting to 70+kills is not at all easy, but takes time and patience, just as it should.  

If you find the current medals schedule so objectionable why not make up your own and award yourself what you feel is right. You could make some cardboard cut out medals ....

I do appreciate the great job Luke done, and also that he even provided us an ear to listen.

Please don't assume I am trying to stir up trouble, and I am not kidding myself about anything.

I'm just a guy making a comment or two, not some rebel trying to threaten your civilised tea-party, so calm down.

#114 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:20

I do appreciate the great job Luke done, and also that he even provided us an ear to listen.

Please don't assume I am trying to stir up trouble, and I am not kidding myself about anything.

I'm just a guy making a comment or two, not some rebel trying to threaten your civilised tea-party, so calm down.

All right, perhaps that was my inner grumpy old man let off the leash. :) 

But that will tend to be the response you get - if you get one at all -  when you make it easy for people to draw the inference from your post that you think everyone except yourself and wykltypl are blithering idiots.

In an ideal world, IMHO, the awards schedule would be in an easy to access ini file we could all edit and create whatever variant we want from the default. The game designers, however, have always had a disposition to control as much as possible since they appear to have believed that uniformity of player experience was desirable. I think this is because the majority of the developers were from a MP background. Unfortunately it means that RoF is not as easy to edit as we might like and many things require an official update, of which we may have seen the last.

There you are, calm as a millpond.

#115 KurtZibling

KurtZibling
  • LocationScotland

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:07

Agreed. I wish they could make a offline version of the career, so we could simply (as you pointed out so well) tweak a text file and tailor the awards, or even add more...

Maybe one day, if the devs allow modding...Not going to hold my breath though.

#116 Omega749

Omega749

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:40

Distinguished Service Cross:
  • Eligibility: all British officers, up to 31 March 1918*
  • Requirement: 1 ship sunk
*In reality, this award was awarded only to naval officers and was the equivalent to the Army’s Military Cross. However, since the game does not have a separate branch for the Royal Naval Air service, the single requirement for this award is intended to be as “naval” as possible. Essentially, if the player has sunk a ship, they are most likely flying for a RNAS squad, anyways.

Distinguished Service Cross with Bar:
  • Requirement: 3 ships sunk
*In reality, this award was awarded only to naval officers and was the equivalent to the Army’s Military Cross. However, since the game does not have a separate branch for the Royal Naval Air service, the single requirement for this award is intended to be as “naval” as possible. Essentially, if the player has sunk a ship, they are most likely flying for a RNAS squad, anyways.

Distinguished Service Cross with 2 Bars:
  • Requirement: 5 ships sunk

Distinguished Flying Cross:
  • Eligibility: all British officers, from 3 June 1918
  • Requirements: 25 missions completed, plus one of the following: 5 aircraft destroyed, 1 ship sunk, 25 ground targets destroyed, or 1 building facility destroyed as a Second Lieutenant. Requirements are harder for higher ranks.
Distinguished Flying Cross with Bar:
  • Requirements: 45 missions completed, plus one of the following: 15 aircraft destroyed, 3 ships sunk, 75 ground targets destroyed, or 3 building facilities destroyed as a Second Lieutenant. Requirements are harder for higher ranks.

Distinguished Flying Cross with 2 Bars:
  • Requirements: 75 missions completed, plus one of the following: 25 aircraft destroyed, 5 ships sunk, 125 ground targets destroyed, or 5 building facilities destroyed as a Second Lieutenant. Requirements are harder for higher ranks.
Distinguished Service Order:
  • Eligibility: all British officers
  • Requirement: 75 missions completed
Distinguished Service Order with Bar:
  • Requirement: 225 missions completed
Distinguished Service Order with 2 Bars:
  • Requirement: 500 missions completed

Hello,

I've not been engaging in the career mode all that long (September 1st to 4th, 1916 - Belgian service, Channel), but I do have some questions.

1. If one starts on September 1st, 1916, it should be possible to complete the 500 mission requirement for the DSO's highest grade, yes? Because I am aware that not every day gives your pilot a mission, and it could be several days between missions, like it was with Red Baron.

Also, as 500 missions seems to be the highest number required for any award with such a requirement, if it really is possible to obtain such an award's highest grade, then the other mission requirements should be fairly attainable. Also, I like that it does take some time to earn some, in addition to being realistic, it would mean you don't really run out of medals to gain until quite some time later (and perhaps not even then).

2. For the DFC, how much harder are the requirements for anyone at full Lieutenant and above?

3. And, though this may seem a silly question I think it's best to make absolutely certain, I take it the British DSC (ship requirement) can only be earned on the Channel map?

4. And, how long, in ingame time, does it take for each downed balloon to respawn?

5. About promotions, like with awards, here, is there an official promotion points info topic? Because, I'd like to know how many points it takes to get promoted for all the tiers' ranks.

Thank you.

#117 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 22 February 2016 - 18:28

Is this thread an explanation of an awards system overhaul that was done by the devs, or is this related to an awards mod? I've read this thread a couple of times and with all the debating going on back and forth, I'm still unsure. Perhaps I missed something. Can someone please clarify what this thread is about.

Thanks ..

In exile.

#118 KurtZibling

KurtZibling
  • LocationScotland

Posted 22 February 2016 - 20:41

"Is this thread an explanation of an awards system..."

This is what the thread is, and the overhaul discussion grew from various user's feedback.

#119 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 22 February 2016 - 23:15

The discussion of how users would want awards to work keeps going since before I remember, with different people having different preferences. This thread was created to describe the last (and likely final) overhaul done couple of years ago, and debating has followed in. 

The awards in career mode are done on master server side (apparently!), so I don't think they can be modded...

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#120 Pioniere719

Pioniere719

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:24

Ah, I understand. Thanks to the both of you!

In exile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users