- - - - -

Newbie modding question?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Happyhaddock

Happyhaddock
  • LocationCloud cuckoo land

Posted 11 December 2014 - 09:06

As may be apparent by the number of posts I've been making recently I've got quite hooked on tinkering under the hood of ROF. I do however have zero relevant coding experience (well lots of professional IT experience that's at least twenty years out of date so that's effectively no relevant experience in the fast changing world of computing) and have had to start from scratch in terms of even figuring out what square one is, let alone move on from it.

As such I hope somebody would be so kind as to point me in the right direction.

From what I can tell the landscape is made from a large number of texture tiles overlaid with features such as roads, forests, rivers, airbases etc. What's not overlaid shows through the underlying texture tile. Get close enough to ground level and ROF then overlays sprites for grass onto the exposed bits of the underlying texture tile.

If that's all it did I wouldn't have a question but in some places it uses sprites for short grass, in others places for both long and short grass, and in others it avoids adding any sprites at all yet there is no apparent object such as a road river or airbase overlaid leading to the absence of grass sprites.

This in turn suggests there must be some sort of mask for each texture tile telling ROF what sort(s) of grass sprites to apply in different places, and that there must be at least three "values" for this mask (no grass, short grass and mixed grass) as well as the notional fourth of obscuring the texture tile with another feature altogether.

Anybody know where to find these masks and if it's possible to edit them to create additional "values" on them rather than merely change the size and position of the areas already defined?

After the response to my wildflower expt. I've been tinkering with some of the mgm files regulating these sprites and have a hunch it might be possible to do wonderful things by way of increasing the diversity of flora on the ground.

Cheers

HH

#2 Happyhaddock

Happyhaddock
  • LocationCloud cuckoo land

Posted 11 December 2014 - 18:47

Unsurprisingly it seems, after a bit of experimentation, that I've got completely the wrong end of the stick and that ROF masks for grass work in a completely different way, one that should both make it easier to implement the changes I want with much less work yet simultaneously throws up a different problem to solve.

As such the "work" becomes how many days does it take to figure out how to do what looks if it could be just a five minute job for somebody that can make sense of every line of an mgm file

Anybody out there have a recommendation for a good bit of software for translating mgm files into an easily read and recognisable form for straightforward editing?

HH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users