Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

Can't start your engine in multiplayer? Here's how!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:21

Lately I've observed some new pilots on Aces Falling and New Fliers & Friends struggling to start their engines and take off. If you are one of those pilots, I understand how helpless you can feel after trying for the sixth time to get your SPAD's engine to turn over - I myself was at that point once. ;)

But I've got good news for you: As daunting as complex engine management seems, it is really not too difficult to get the hang of. With just a little practice in Quick Mission, you'll know all you need to know to be bashing around multiplayer in no time. :D

Please note: For demonstration purposes, I will be referencing the game's simple gauges.

Let's start off with a universal engine principle:
I) Engine management when diving
When starting a steep dive, don't go into it at full throttle. As you dive, the speed of your fall actually turns the propellor so fast that it will damage the engine (badly) if the engine is running full throttle. If simple gauges are available, (right click and hit the icon for simple gauges) watch your RPMs; if the needle ever crosses into the red zone, you're in trouble.
41107D5A-16E1-4060-9EE3-69DEDF83E683_zps

Another way to manage engine speed is with the Blip Switch. This little beauty will momentarily stop the engine when you hold it down. This is useful for slowing down, but don't hold it down for too long, or you will actually kill your engine. The natural control for it is Left Shift + E Key but I would recommend programming a button for it on your joystick that is easier to access.

The blip switch is only available on rotary-engined aircraft such as the Fokker Dr 1, Sopwith Camel, Hanriot, Sopwith Pup, etc. On some of the earlier aircraft, there is not even a throttle: just the blip switch and mixture control! (I'll explain the mixture in the next section.)

Now we get into managing the engine itself. Thankfully WWI planes' engines aren't too complex. There's only two things you need to master: Mixture and Radiator. Some planes have only mixture, some have only the radiator and some have both, but you'll find that they both are not too difficult to learn.

II) Mixture
Mixture is simply the ratio of fuel to air entering the engine. A "lean" mixture is mostly air and a "rich" mixture is mostly fuel. You can increase/decrease the richness of the mixture by moving a lever up or down - just like the throttle. The controls to do this are naturally Right Shift + Minus Key (lean) and Right Shift + Plus Key (rich). However you may want to program buttons on your joystick that are easier to handle.

To take off, set the mixture to fully rich (no air). This is imperative if you want your engine to start. It can't run on just air - it needs fuel! Once you've done that, hit the E key to turn the engine on.

Once the engine has started, you then take the mixture down a notch to the "Power setting". This is the setting where you will achieve max RPMs from your engine.

This setting varies from plane to plane, so a good way to learn the best setting for a plane is to go to Quick Mission, select the plane you wish to try and fly it with auto mixture. Then hit simple gauges again to see how the mixture is set for that plane. Here are some examples of the power settings for different planes:

44947E41-0668-40AC-91C9-F8860DA3CECE_zps
Fokker Dr 1

70B9CBC4-82FC-45EA-BCED-EBA85400C713_zps
Hanriot HD.2

With planes that use mixture you will see a small track with a red bar in between the throttle indicator (far left) and the RPMs gauge (far right). This is your mixture gauge and it indicates the ratio of fuel to air entering your engine. When the red bar is all the way to the top of the track, your mixture is all- fuel - "fully rich". When the bar is all the way down, your mixture is all air - "fully lean".

(Note: If any of you have more questions or want to get a more in-depth understanding of mixture, here's a video by a user named Requiem)
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=cHIvmymawb0

III) Radiator
The radiator is a vent for the engine with shutters that can open and close. When the shutters are closed, it prevents heat from escaping the engine; when the shutters are open, they allow heat to leave the engine into the air. You want them shut at high altitude and in cold weather, but you want them open at least some during normal conditions, or your engine will overheat and seize.

The warning sign that your engine is overheating is a trail of thick white smoke pouring from the exhaust. If that happens, cut down the throttle a tad and open the radiator.

This is extremely important to understand if you are flying a radiator-equipped aircraft. I can't tell you how many times I've seen new players flying around trailing thick white smoke from an overheating radiator. Heck, I was one once! And from personal experience I can say that this simple mistake will kill your engine, diminish your combat performance and act as a flashing neon arrow pointing you out to every enemy pilot within sight. Not fun stuff. :P

To view your radiator, hit simple gauges again. On a radiator-equipped aircraft, you'll see a track to the left of the RPMs gauge. This track is identical to the mixture track except for the fact that there are two thin white bars - one on each end of the track. When these bars are fully extended, they meet in the middle, giving a "shut" appearance. If the bars are extended and the track is "shut", your radiator is shut as well. If the bars are withdrawn and the track is "open", then your radiator is too.

Attached to the right side of the RPMs gauge, you'll see an engine temperature track. If the brown bar slips into the top and turns dark-brown/red during flight (overheating), open the radiator. If the bar drops to the bottom and turns gray (overcooling), close the radiator. Here are some photos of the radiator track:

4A4A2115-2920-435D-B423-6408EC065EAF_zps
Fully open

1F601BE6-8DAD-4236-BE12-6BAA9C62A6E7_zps
Fully closed

The controls for the radiator naturally are: Right Ctl + Minus Key (further shut) and Right Ctl + Plus Key (further open). Like I said with the other controls before however, you might wish to program some buttons on your joystick to better manage these.

Finally, here is a complete list of all currently-available ROF planes and their engine type (radiator, mixture, both or neither):
Albatross D.II/D.II lt - neither
Albatross D.III - radiator
Albatross D.Va - radiator
Fokker E.III - mixture
Fokker Dr. 1 - mixture
Fokker D.VII/D.VIIF - radiator
Fokker D.VIII - mixture
Pfalz D.IIIa - radiator
Pfalz D.XII - radiator
Halberstadt D.II - neither
Halberstadt CL.II/CL.II 200hp - radiator
Roland C.IIa - neither
DFW C.V. - neither
Brandenburg W.12 - neither
Gotha G.V - radiator
Nieuport 11 - mixture
Nieuport 17.C1/17.C1 RUS -mixture
Nieuport 28.C1 - mixture
Hanriot HD.1/HD.2 - mixture
SPAD 7.C1 150hp - mixture
SPAD 7.C1 180hp - radiator and mixture
SPAD 13.C1 - radiator and mixture
Breguet 14.B2 - radiator
Sopwith Pup - mixture
Sopwith triplane - mixture
Sopwith Camel - mixture
Sopwith Dolphin - radiator and mixture
Sopwith Strutter/Strutter B - mixture
S.E.5a - radiator and mixture
Airco D.H.2 - mixture
Airco D.H.4 - radiator and mixture
F.E.2b - radiator and mixture
R.E.8 - neither
Bristol F2B/F2B (F.11) - radiator and mixture
Handley Page 0-400 - radiator and mixture
Felixstowe F2A - radiator and mixture
Sikorsky S-22 - neither
Sikorsky S-16 - mixture

That is all you need to get flying in multiplayer! And if you don't get it right the first time, don't give up hope and quit. No one ever quits learning - I should know. I've been flying over a year and I still feel like a complete novice sometimes! Good luck then, and I hope to see you up in the blue yonder sometime.

Salute!
- HotleadColdfeet (JG1_Hotlead_J10 online)

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

fcpq25c.jpg

#2 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 24 November 2014 - 14:25

HC(RA) as usual excellent presentation,Salute.
        You have to be quick 

#3 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 November 2014 - 15:03

Thanks Hillbilly! :S!:

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

fcpq25c.jpg

#4 Agent86

Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 24 November 2014 - 15:10

Indeed ! Good Form. HLCF Very helpful stuff for the new pilot :S!:

Sorry About That                                                           

#5 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 24 November 2014 - 23:27

Very clearly explained.

:S!:

#6 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 November 2014 - 23:37

Thanks guys! Hopefully this will help some of the newer pilots. :)

fcpq25c.jpg

#7 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:22

Very nice indeed …. thanks for your contribution.

Chief

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#8 Pa_Kid

Pa_Kid
  • LocationLake Erie in NW Pennsylvania

Posted 28 November 2014 - 14:46

Well done :S!:
Good helpful post.
Thanks for posting your "flying" handle. It's always nice to know who your are flying with. Stop on over to team speak the next time you are in NFF. It would be nice to chat and fly with you.

Bravely going up the down staircase 

#9 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 28 November 2014 - 15:26

Requiem's Rise of Flight Aircraft familiarization videos (list of 18 aircraft):
www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBDF420DABE54298F

An example…

#10 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 November 2014 - 15:40

Well done :S!:
Good helpful post.
Thanks for posting your "flying" handle. It's always nice to know who your are flying with. Stop on over to team speak the next time you are in NFF. It would be nice to chat and fly with you.
Thanks Pa_Kid! :) I don't do teamspeak, but I'll be sure to look for you next time I'm flying there. ;)

fcpq25c.jpg

#11 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 November 2014 - 15:49

Requiem's Rise of Flight Aircraft familiarization videos (list of 18 aircraft):
www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBDF420DABE54298F

An example…
Ah, thank you for posting these Bandy! For all you newer pilots reading this thread, I would reccomend watching these for the aircraft you intend to fly. Simple gauges are great to start out with (and I still use them from time to time ;) ) but they can also block your line of sight below you during combat. These videos are so helpful because they tell you the location of the actual gauges in-cockpit. As you become more experienced, you'll find you need the simple gauges less and less because you will start to be able to read your cockpit gauges for some things and with others simply instinctively know. With all that being said, there is no shame starting with the simple gauges. They make the state of your aircraft known to you at a glance, so you can focus more on flying as you learn. Learn to fly and fly well first, then you can start tackling the in-cockpit gauges. :)

fcpq25c.jpg

#12 Greenhorn52

Greenhorn52

Posted 09 December 2014 - 13:45

Thanks! Really Helpful!

#13 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 December 2014 - 14:00

You're welcome Greenhorn! :) I wrote 2 other articles that may of use too:
-Basic tips for ROF's multiplayer.
New to Multiplayer? Some advice

-An in-depth look at one of my favorite planes.
Experiences of a Pfalzcopter (How to fly the Pfalz D.IIIa)

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and we'll see if we can work something out. :S!:

fcpq25c.jpg

#14 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 February 2015 - 23:51

I updated my article with the new 2D gauges and added a list of all ROF's current planes & their engine type (radiator, mixture, both or neither). :S!:

fcpq25c.jpg

#15 SkySurdolPl

SkySurdolPl

Posted 08 March 2016 - 13:48

U SERIUS???!!! I CANT DO NOTHIN WITH RSHT AND + OR -!!!!!! i CANT FREAKING EVEN START MY PLANE!!!!

#16 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 08 March 2016 - 13:49

U SERIUS???!!! I CANT DO NOTHIN WITH RSHT AND + OR -!!!!!! i CANT FREAKING EVEN START MY PLANE!!!!

Read the manual.

You have to be quick 

#17 J2_Jakob

J2_Jakob
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 08 March 2016 - 14:27

Read the manual.

You'll find it in the game installation folder. Usually in Program files\777\...

The manual is very detailed. Must read.

eol_bavi.jpg

#18 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 08 March 2016 - 14:46

You'll find it in the game installation folder. Usually in Program files\777\...

The manual is very detailed. Must read.

It can be found here too http://riseofflight....iew=getnewpost :icon_e_salute:

You have to be quick 

#19 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann
  • LocationChateau Boistrancourt

Posted 08 March 2016 - 14:54

Very nice Hotlead. My usual practice is to tell everyone to press "b". You'd be surprised how quickly they learn.

#20 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 08 March 2016 - 15:01

Very nice Hotlead. My usual practice is to tell everyone to press "b". You'd be surprised how quickly they learn.

LOL with the Spad that can be explosive. ;)  

You have to be quick 

#21 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 March 2016 - 15:05

Howdy mate!
What plane you flying? There's a reason why your plane won't work. Give us time. If you're cooperative, I'm sure you and I can find it. :)

fcpq25c.jpg

#22 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 08 March 2016 - 15:44

I have no problem trying to help new pilots but when they shout "WTF MY ENGINE WON'T START!!!!!!" and i take the time to type down what to do in detail only rarely you get an answer back......and 5 minutes later "WTF WHY DOES MY ENGINE NOT START!!!!"

but HLCF well done and i will direct them to this usefull link!

(if they listen :icon_e_biggrin:

#23 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 March 2016 - 16:01

LOL!!! I just realized something...in my article I failed to include the most important aspect of engine management: How to turn the stupid thing on! Just an educated guess...but that's your problem! :D To turn the engine on hit the E key. Do this after setting mixture to full like the article says. 

I can't believe I forgot that! Added to the OP now. :lol:

If you're still having trouble after that, feel free to discuss it below, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. :)

S!

- Hotlead

fcpq25c.jpg

#24 Ben_Twings

Ben_Twings
  • LocationAlbion

Posted 08 March 2016 - 16:32

but HLCF well done and i will direct them to this usefull link!

(if they listen :icon_e_biggrin:

You mean if you can type it and they can copy it. I think what's needed is a shortcut link, but another problem is that people are still being required to read the answer when some can barely write the question.  I think to be of practical use it needs to be re-done as a video with an easily-typed URL. What luck the OP is a filmmaker.

Polish-infested London

#25 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann
  • LocationChateau Boistrancourt

Posted 08 March 2016 - 17:41

LOL with the Spad that can be explosive. ;)  

Se5's and Camels too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users