Photo
- - - - -

[MOD] Heavy Clouds

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 04 August 2014 - 13:42

This is another mod I just started using that others may want to try. It is a mod by DiFiS. In RoF I've never been happy with the "Heavy Cloud" weather. The "Clear" is fine, and so is "Average Sky" with small puffy clouds floating around. Overcast is ok also, as overcast is "overcast."

But the default "Heavy Clouds" don't seem very heavy to me, maybe a 30% or 40% cloud cover with nothing between it and overcast (100% cloud cover).

The way I have it set up this mod from DiFiS will create a 70% to 80% cloud cover when mission weather conditions are set to "Heavy" in PWCG or any RoF mission maker. All other RoF weather conditions will maintain their default values.

The mod is JSGME ready. Just unzip the contents into your MODS directory and enable it using JSGME.

Typical Screen Shot for "Heavy Clouds" Mod:

Attached Files

#2 PapaFlo

PapaFlo
  • LocationInnsbruck

Posted 04 August 2014 - 17:40

Thanks, looks great!
:S!:
Flo

intel i7 7700k@4,5Ghz watercooled with be-Quiet Silent Loop 240, GSkill Aegis 16 GB DDR4 Ram@2800Mhz, GigaByte GA-Z270-Gaming K3, Gainward GTX 1080 phoenix glh, TM Warthog throttle and stick (with 7,5cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind pedals, Saitek yoke, Saitek throttle quadrant x 2, Saitek trimm wheel, Gametrix KW 908 Jetseat, TrackIR 5

#3 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 04 August 2014 - 20:44

Ooooh Yes! I´ve been really missing Difi´s Cloud mod as it was no longer compatible with RoF.
This clouds have real impact on the gameplay and are a must for me! Thank you very much!

#4 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 04 August 2014 - 23:39

Any performance impact? Let us know please. Would be fun to try in a MP mission, eh?

#5 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:22

Nice. Thanks, Bucksnort!

#6 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:46

Any performance impact? Let us know please. Would be fun to try in a MP mission, eh?

Even though I can see blue sky here and there, according to DiFiS it is only one cloud??? So he says it should have no impact on performance. I run a mid range system and have my graphics almost but not quite maxed out and it hasn't impacted performance that I can see.

I honestly don't understand how he did it, but it would be worth you having a look at for MP. It is very nice.

You can read more about it by DiFiS here:
Cloud MOD. Heavy clouds.

The one I chose was Big_Clouds_Test_4 and I've only placed them in the Heavy and HeavyFog folders. Test 5 is a little more stratified and choppy, and Test 3 is a little more contiguous and approaching a 90% to 95% cloud cover. All look good but Test 4 seemed like the best balance in appearance and percentage of blue sky to me.

Cheers!

#7 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:53

Yes, love good clouds, I will try soon.
Thanks for your time and effort, Bucksnort.
Cheers,
Spag. :)

Bite off more than you can chew.

Then chew like Hell ! ! !

#8 Habu

Habu

Posted 05 August 2014 - 18:46

Interresting. How it works in multiplayer ?

#9 pippin

pippin

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:31

Excellent addition thanks

#10 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:55

Interresting. How it works in multiplayer ?
We tried it on our server this past Sunday, but reports were it was crashing pilots trying to enter. :?

There likely is some conflict with these cloud files on the client side install. :cry:

#11 PapaFlo

PapaFlo
  • LocationInnsbruck

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:56

Hey there!

I really like this mod - it looks awesome.
But is it possible to change the cloud base level?

Now it seems base level is some 500 meters lower then set in mission editor (also Vander's great St. Mithiel campaign) or QM-builder.
The way it is now, I can't fly some missions with this mod on because the cloud base is so much lower than stock heavy clouds. My greatest problems are flight heights just below cloud level, which now are in the middle of the cloud when using this mod.

I hope, this can be fixed.

Thx in advance,
Flo

intel i7 7700k@4,5Ghz watercooled with be-Quiet Silent Loop 240, GSkill Aegis 16 GB DDR4 Ram@2800Mhz, GigaByte GA-Z270-Gaming K3, Gainward GTX 1080 phoenix glh, TM Warthog throttle and stick (with 7,5cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind pedals, Saitek yoke, Saitek throttle quadrant x 2, Saitek trimm wheel, Gametrix KW 908 Jetseat, TrackIR 5

#12 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:39

Hi Flo,

I know how to edit the cloud level in missions generated by PWCG, but not in campaigns like St. Mihiel, so I'll tell you what I know and maybe someone else can step in with better info.

With this mod sometimes the cloud level is too low in PWCG missions that are using Heavy or Heavyfog weather conditions (another way to look at it is the waypoints are too high). So you can drop the waypoints in the mission before accepting it in PWCG.

The other alternative is to raise the cloud level in the mission file after PWCG generates the mission.

Look for the mission file here: Rise of Flight\Data\Missions

You can open the mission file with Notepad and you will see the Cloudlevel line. It can be modified up or down.

And that is all I know how to do. If the waypoints in a PWCG mission are already very low but still at or above the cloud layer I'll increase the cloud layer altitude in the mission file after the mission is generated in PWCG. If there is room to drop the waypoints under the cloud layer in PWCG I do it before the mission is generated.

So cloud level can be controlled in the mission file separate from cloud density and how you manage it will depend on which mission generator you are using.

Not sure about static campaigns like St. Mihiel, as I don't know where the mission files are located but either the waypoints or the cloud level would need to be modified. It can't be done in the mod as far as I know.

#13 PapaFlo

PapaFlo
  • LocationInnsbruck

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:48

Hi Flo,

I know how to edit the cloud level in missions generated by PWCG, but not in campaigns like St. Mihiel, so I'll tell you what I know and maybe someone else can step in with better info.

With this mod sometimes the cloud level is too low in PWCG missions that are using Heavy or Heavyfog weather conditions (another way to look at it is the waypoints are too high). So you can drop the waypoints in the mission before accepting it in PWCG.

The other alternative is to raise the cloud level in the mission file after PWCG generates the mission.

Look for the mission file here: Rise of Flight\Data\Missions

You can open the mission file with Notepad and you will see the Cloudlevel line. It can be modified up or down.

And that is all I know how to do. If the waypoints in a PWCG mission are already very low but still at or above the cloud layer I'll increase the cloud layer altitude in the mission file after the mission is generated in PWCG. If there is room to drop the waypoints under the cloud layer in PWCG I do it before the mission is generated.

So cloud level can be controlled in the mission file separate from cloud density and how you manage it will depend on which mission generator you are using.

Not sure about static campaigns like St. Mihiel, as I don't know where the mission files are located but either the waypoints or the cloud level would need to be modified. It can't be done in the mod as far as I know.

Ok, thanks.
I'll take a look into the files, but I think, it is not possible to edit the St. Mithiel Campaign. But for PWCG Missions it's fine for me.

Flo

#14 Thaatu

Thaatu

Posted 20 August 2014 - 14:33

Anyone else getting a strange cloudfilled horizon, behind the actual clouds, that has a straight lower edge, like a cloud cover that's cut in half? Also I get large sprites on the edges of the heavy clouds that spin when I move my viewpoint. And a third, objects are visible through some of the clouds. Does anyone else have any of these?

#15 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 20 August 2014 - 17:46

Thaatu,
Yes, I noticed that too. It was in PWCG low-level, dense cloud layer that was around 1000m high. That mission was interesting (to say the least), but it wasn't really feasible for executing any missions. Visibility was noticeably bad even before I became airborne, and at 500-600m, I couldn't even see my airfield even though I was just above it. I forgot to record this, but you described it pretty well. Incidentally, I flew another low-level, dense cloud layer, but the clouds were at 1500m. That makes all the distance, and I didn't get that glowing "band" behind the clouds, but I did see some flattened sides to some of the clouds. I'll try to post some pictures of those. I think it only affects certain graphics cards, but I could be wrong.

#16 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 20 August 2014 - 19:00

Yes, I get a little rotation and cloud popping when I pan my view, but other than that pretty much what you see in my OP (haven't seen the "band" you're describing). I'm using an AMD 7850 graphics card so not sure if people will see different things with different cards.

And yes, I've sent a note to Pat Wilson to see if he would consider limiting the waypoint altitudes to beneath the cloud layer on "low, dense" weather conditions in PWCG like he has done on overcast weather so flight leaders won't take you into the clouds. I've been either dropping the waypoint altitudes in PWCG or increasing the cloud layer altitude in the mission file when I see the flight will be in the clouds. Often there is no problem, but sometimes you've got to adjust things, or simply scrub the mission until you get one that works out automatically. :)

#17 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 20 August 2014 - 22:00

Thaatu,

Let me ask this, do you get thin walls of smoke in no-man's-land that spin or rotate when you rotate your view? I do, and I think it's an Nvidia thing. It sucks big-time, and I cannot wait to address this. It's very noticeable flying down low, and a major distraction.

Here's those "thin walls of smoke" that I was talking about. It's WAY worse looking in-game as they spin and rotate as you move your viewpoint. I would love to hear from people who don't get this (and find out what card they're using).

Attached File  rof 2013-02-06 23-44-18-65.jpg   321.29KB   205 downloads

#18 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:12

Thaatu,

Let me ask this, do you get thin walls of smoke in no-man's-land that spin or rotate when you rotate your view? I do, and I think it's an Nvidia thing. It sucks big-time, and I cannot wait to address this. It's very noticeable flying down low, and a major distraction.

This has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time, too. Haven't seen it in a while, but possibly only because I haven't been flying down low over NML in the right conditions lately. Would love to see a solution for this one.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 65.jpg

#19 Blade_meister

Blade_meister

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:27

Thaatu,

This has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time, too. Haven't seen it in a while, but possibly only because I haven't been flying down low over NML in the right conditions lately. Would love to see a solution for this one.

+1 , I have noticed and not liked this for some time now.

S!Blade<><

#20 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:43

OK, I lied. I DID record the 1000m high, low-level, dense cloud layer.

From the field, everything looks pretty good …
Attached File  ROF 2014-08-20 23-53-58-35.jpg   125.98KB   208 downloads
Attached File  ROF 2014-08-20 23-54-17-05.jpg   116.21KB   207 downloads

As I started to climb, everything looked good, but the visibility was really bad …
Attached File  ROF 2014-08-20 23-55-57-33.jpg   90.01KB   207 downloads

Then I started noticing the "border", just under the cloud layer, in all directions …
Attached File  ROF 2014-08-20 23-57-12-28.jpg   112.85KB   207 downloads
Attached File  ROF 2014-08-20 23-58-59-89.jpg   88.76KB   207 downloads
Attached File  ROF 2014-08-20 23-59-24-79.jpg   88.49KB   207 downloads
Note: the border looks worse in-game, because it doesn't seem as distant as the screen shots would have you believe.

Coming back down to the airfield, the border is no longer visible, but I had already gotten lost in that short flight …
Attached File  ROF 2014-08-21 00-02-57-50.jpg   97.04KB   207 downloads
Keep in mind, that mission was without fog, but at 1000m, the dense clouds create a sort of fog effect.

Using low-level, dense clouds at 1500m gives much better results …
Attached File  ROF 2014-08-19 00-15-22-79.jpg   162.85KB   207 downloads
I suppose you could say there is a distant-looking border just above the horizon, but it looks much better and more realistic at 1500m.

The only problems I found with the 1500m cloud layer is when I was above them, looking down (and it was only in a couple areas at certain intervals) …
Attached File  ROF 2014-08-19 00-00-28-35.jpg   219.07KB   207 downloads
Attached File  ROF 2014-08-19 00-12-36-18.jpg   225.08KB   207 downloads
It's as if some clouds were cropped-off at the bottom. I would definitely recommend people only use the dense clouds at 1500m and above … based on my experience with them.

#21 PapaFlo

PapaFlo
  • LocationInnsbruck

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:42

Hi all.
Maybe the cut lower edge has something to do with distance LoD visibility?
It seems to happen more often when flying high, but if i get closer the edges disappear and it looks ok again, but other clouds farer away will have the same issue.

Attached File  HeavyCloudsWeirdEdge.jpg   471.64KB   367 downloads

Flo

#22 PapaFlo

PapaFlo
  • LocationInnsbruck

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:53

Beside some weird issues, this mod looks just awesome.
What a great addidion to the game!

Here are some screens (unedited) from St Mithiel Campaign Mission 10 using this mod and fubars landscape textures and of course FlightFx.

Attached File  HeavyCloudsStMithiel1.jpg   334.57KB   367 downloads

Attached File  HeavyCloudsStMithiel2.jpg   413.41KB   367 downloads

Flo

#23 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:18

Hi Dude,

It could be an attempt at cloud layers like this:

Your screen shot looks pretty similar. Add some low lying fog to the Mount Washington shot and they pretty much match.

I've seen that band pretty often IRL when you get above the haze but below the cloud layer with it being pink or orange in the direction of the sun and more grey away from the sun. I haven't studied it that close in this mod but if it changes color in relation to the sun then he's got it about right. Or on really bad days it is just grey. Just putt'n around in a Cessna we go up with a minimum of a 1000 ft ceiling and 3 miles visibility. You can see the clouds above you and near you but just 3 miles out is a wall of grey (or what you could call a grey border).

#24 Thaatu

Thaatu

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:43

Thaatu,

+1 , I have noticed and not liked this for some time now.

S!Blade<><
Yup, and Nvidia here also.

#25 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 21 August 2014 - 18:43

Your screen shot looks pretty similar. Add some low lying fog to the Mount Washington shot and they pretty much match.

Maybe you're right, Bucksnort. It just may not be a bug, but looks odd with certain fog and lighting conditions. To me, the border appeared to be below the horizon, but maybe it was just an optical illusion …

Anyway, nice reference! :S!:

#26 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 21 August 2014 - 19:07

Yeah, it definitely takes the fun out of Pat's use of Vander's hard work with these ground attack missions in PWCG. I get the same effect when looking though the exhaust on my plane, so it's the way my card is rendering smoke, and there's a lot of it in NML. It's funny, but it didn't always render that way, and it was different from mission to mission. Now it's constant though. I can't remember the last time smoke rendered properly for me. I'll probably start a new thread to get to the bottom of this …

#27 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:27

Thaatu,

Panther,
I just noticed your rig (GTX 980?!) in your signature and it made me think about this thread. You mentioned that you haven't seen the "spinning walls of smoke" in a while, and I'm wondering if your (new?) GPU eliminated that issue. I would hope that with your setup, that this wouldn't happen any more for you. If you don't mind, please try to pay attention if you see it flying low over the mud. I'm thinking of upgrading to the GTX 970, … and MOSTLY because of this issue. I cannot stand it!

Thanks! :S!:

#28 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:02

Sorry Dude (believe me, I'm sorry), but I'm still seeing the lines in the smoke over NML, even with my new card. I was low over NML flying one of the pre-spawn test missions and there they were again :(

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#29 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 18 October 2014 - 22:45

Thaatu,

Panther,
I just noticed your rig (GTX 980?!) in your signature and it made me think about this thread. You mentioned that you haven't seen the "spinning walls of smoke" in a while, and I'm wondering if your (new?) GPU eliminated that issue. I would hope that with your setup, that this wouldn't happen any more for you. If you don't mind, please try to pay attention if you see it flying low over the mud. I'm thinking of upgrading to the GTX 970, … and MOSTLY because of this issue. I cannot stand it!

Thanks! :S!:

Hi Dude,

I saw in an earlier post a month or so ago where you mentioned you thought it might be an nVidia thing. I have a 2GB AMD 7850 (which is nothing spectacular) but I don't think I've seen what you describe and I love to fly low over the lines due to all the cool effects down there.

Could you post a screen shot of what you're seeing. I don't want to say for sure until I see what you're talking about and double check, but I don't think I'm seeing it.

#30 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:42

Hi, Bucksnort.
I posted a pic in post #17, but a still picture doesn't really do it justice. In live action, the "walls" spin around as you rotate your viewpoint. That makes it very noticeable and I don't think you could miss it when it happens. It used to happen for me every once in a while, but now I think it's always there.

#31 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:18

Hi, Bucksnort.
I posted a pic in post #17, but a still picture doesn't really do it justice. In live action, the "walls" spin around as you rotate your viewpoint. That makes it very noticeable and I don't think you could miss it when it happens. It used to happen for me every once in a while, but now I think it's always there.

Yeah - I went in with mods off just to make sure it wasn't this cloud mod or any of the other ones I run with that might be causing it, and still saw the usual smoke walls:

So, the moral of this story is to stay up high where you can fly around through these great heavy clouds from this mod and won't notice the smoke walls down low over the mud so much.

(How's that for trying to get back somewhere near on-topic?) :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users