Photo
- - - - -

Ilya Muromets Early Access Now Open!

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 DaveSax

DaveSax

Posted 02 August 2014 - 14:24

First thoughts, it's very good. I switched mouse control off straight away, I can see why it's been left in as an option, though.

At the moment, there's a crew of, er, two in the bomber. Pilot and top gunner. The top gunner can switch between two Lewis guns (small mags, not the big ones like we have in RoF (This is accurate for a Russian Lewis Gun) ) and there's no tail gunner. Apparently the poor tail gunner was sent down the fuselage on a trolley. Bagsy not me. That'll obviously come in later.

The view controls are slightly different than RoF insofaras the irritating "chase" view has been removed. F4 for external shots now. It can make getting shots of any enemy aircraft difficult.

One major problem for me is that if you're in the top gunner position, you can't also fly the plane at the same time. You have to jump back into the cockpit, CRTL C, fly, jump back into the gunner position. Lots of key changes.

I did put a thread up on the forum there asking for a more logical way of controlling gunners… the "autopilot automation" as in IL2 would be a good way to do this. If you're single handing the bomber, it's VERY difficult, although I suppose it'd be unnoticeable in online multiplayer.

Graphics etc are great. No complaints there, as usual.

#42 DaveSax

DaveSax

Posted 02 August 2014 - 14:32

And here, folks, are some moving pictures thereof. ;-)

Just very rough, I simply set the game up, wasn't really FLYING, just switched the vid capture on and let it play, no editing.

NOW I'll tell you why it should be included into RoF. Because a standalone bomber sim does not have the depth to make you switch it on every day. There will simply not be enough content.

But what there is is excellent. Pardon my crap gunnery below.

#43 DaveSax

DaveSax

Posted 02 August 2014 - 14:35

Oh yes, and crap flying. ;-)

#44 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 02 August 2014 - 14:38

"I will buy it when it is part of ROF. Thanks". I see no speculation in this! It's a condition.
They don't want a double installation. In ROF, they can sell the big truck for $14 and the map for $10+.

"if Ilya Muromets isn't successful then there will be no porting of it to RoF anyways (and perhaps no further WWI developments)".
This is speculation!

They will not put money in ROF if less profit in return, compared to another investissement. This is good business.

They choose a separate installation because of the keyboard/mouse configuration (for a bigger audience), and maybe the contract condition (pure speculation).
And that is a good move. This is good business.

But, at the moments ROF was a good business, why they didn't fix several things.

#45 WF2

WF2

Posted 02 August 2014 - 14:49

I give it ….Image

Please fix RoF.

WF2

#46 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 02 August 2014 - 14:52

Look at it this way, for 20 bucks you can take your friend to McDonald's and after you eat your hamburgers all you have is heartburn.
Spend the same 20 bucks on Ilya Muromets you have a game you can play for the rest of your life.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#47 DaveSax

DaveSax

Posted 02 August 2014 - 15:11

Absolutely, Hillbilly.

#48 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 02 August 2014 - 15:17

Bacardi burger Image

Forget McDonald's, it's a good business. :mrgreen:

#49 DaveSax

DaveSax

Posted 02 August 2014 - 15:37

Actually, I'd like one of them. Looks like pretty bad heartburn afterwards, though. ;-)

#50 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 02 August 2014 - 15:43

Correction: "I will buy it when it is part of ROF. Thanks".

And i think, they don't want to see the small community being split up.

I took many info from the cousins. :mrgreen:

#51 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 02 August 2014 - 15:50

I'd rather pay money for content I've never seen before in a flight sim. Paying for 'new' maps that look similar to the old ones, and paying for more planes that don't really offer anything new in terms of gaming experience, is just unappealing.

#52 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 02 August 2014 - 16:04

I'd rather pay money for content I've never seen before in a flight sim. Paying for 'new' maps that look similar to the old ones, and paying for more planes that don't really offer anything new in terms of gaming experience, is just unappealing.

…So I suppose a four-engined bomber isn't a new experience?

How about a bomber that is slow enough to be attacked by early two-seaters and the E.III (if it ever gets added)?

You also get full field mods for all of the included aircraft. IMHO, it is a real deal for a bit of a new experience… you'll undoubtedly become interested if you start reading some history of the Ilya and the Russian Front…

#53 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 02 August 2014 - 16:28

Hi Avimimus. What I'm looking for are 'living' airfields, a ground war, pilots that jump from their burning kites, a DM like what's in NextCar or The Division, a POV with physics, depth of field, the ability to get in and out of the AC, an updated game engine, better effects…those kinds of things and more; things that other games have had for years. Seems like flight sims just keep selling planes and that's it, planes that you fly through a sterile landscape.

#54 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 02 August 2014 - 17:08

steppenwolf remember one little thing,NONE is forcing you to buy any flight sim.

So what is your reason for posting in this thread?

#55 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 02 August 2014 - 17:28

I just want a better flight sim.

#56 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 02 August 2014 - 17:30

Why this is not an ROF Add-On? http://ilyamuromets....-answer-inside/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://ilyamuromets....forum/topic/48- … er-inside/

#57 thenorm

thenorm

Posted 02 August 2014 - 17:46

The Historical Society who is funding it wanted it to be stand alone.

#58 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 02 August 2014 - 18:22

Learn how to code.

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#59 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 02 August 2014 - 18:38

My question was rhetorical.

#60 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 02 August 2014 - 18:49

The Historical Society who is funding it wanted it to be stand alone.

They want their own game. It's ok! The bus, the map have been paid by them (or by the sale of the game). Thanks!

They can sell the winnebago, map in ROF, and tweak (with gav's help) some planes with the profit generated?

I'm dreaming? Image

#61 TheBlackPenguin

TheBlackPenguin

Posted 02 August 2014 - 19:08

IM also seems to be an experiment with mouse control, without destroying joystick control. If they can get this right, then it should generate more sales.

More sales means more money and more money means more content.

It would be nice to see those FM reviews, ROF engine further upgrade after BOS ships and more additions, but its not free for them to do so.

On top of all this I'd like to see 1C/777 release more for BOS in terms of aircraft and theatres as well as a Korean theatre.

Am I alone in all this? :)

#62 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 02 August 2014 - 19:17

Money is going in the same pocket, but not from the same hand.

#63 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 02 August 2014 - 20:00

On top of all this I'd like to see 1C/777 release more for BOS in terms of aircraft and theatres as well as a Korean theatre.

Am I alone in all this? :)

No you are not. Although, I'd expect a Korean Sim in the DCS engine first - I know Luthier always wanted to make one and they have an F-86 and F-51 already done. Anyway - there is certainly a lot to do pre-1945 for 777…

#64 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 02 August 2014 - 20:06

Hi Avimimus. What I'm looking for are 'living' airfields, a ground war, pilots that jump from their burning kites, a DM like what's in NextCar or The Division, a POV with physics, depth of field, the ability to get in and out of the AC, an updated game engine, better effects…those kinds of things and more; things that other games have had for years. Seems like flight sims just keep selling planes and that's it, planes that you fly through a sterile landscape.

Well - there were rumours of RoF II and parachutes… As for me - just keeping the project alive, maybe randomising crew damage (critical hits), giving the AI a strategy once it has run out of altitude (rather than leaving them defenseless), anthropomorphic controls (re: gee forces and reloading/operating turrets), adding infantry around vehicles… there is certainly lots of potential for future development - if the market is there to pay for it.

IMHO, one of the important things to realise about flight simulators is that they are qualitatively different from other games (e.g. the depth of physics, and the size of the universe). So it isn't always easy to make large updates or achieve the same *kind* of graphical fidelity you'd see in a shooter or other game.

#65 Silverback

Silverback

Posted 02 August 2014 - 20:59

Alright guys I do understand your point, supporting 777 is a good cause. But I just can't justify buying a sim that I already own (less one bomber and a new map). Sure 20 bucks isn't shit but that's not the point. My point is this other game/sim will take players away from our already small community. Not to mention further development of ROF. So buy it if you want and good on you. But I'll stick to my guns and buy it as an add-on to ROF and if that doesn't happen, so be it. Enough of this rant. I'll see you up there and watch your 6.

#66 Eckhart

Eckhart

Posted 02 August 2014 - 21:05

I give it ….Image

Please fix RoF.

WF2

+1

#67 armchair-ace

armchair-ace

Posted 02 August 2014 - 22:06

From a "historical" perspective there are probably arguments for the standalone version, but apart from the IMHO valid argument about splitting up the community, I am just too lazy/narrow-minded to go through a whole installation and setup/tweaking process. Besides, wouldn't this big beast be a great element for multiplayer scraps? :-) But maybe it is just a matter of time after all and it will soon be available as an ROF add-on, too.

#68 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 02 August 2014 - 23:54

I just hope RoF don't get any more splitted than this,and that IM don't go totally wrong,otherwise we can say goodbye to Eastern Front,Italian Front,Middle Eastern and maybe even to RoF….

#69 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:11

Everyone,

I have explained why IM is a separate product here. http://ilyamuromets....-answer-inside/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://ilyamuromets....forum/topic/48- … er-inside/

I'm locking this thread now.

Jason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users