- - - - -

SweetFX issues after last patch

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Memnon77

Memnon77

Posted 30 July 2014 - 21:12

Hi all!

Well, since applying the latest patch, SweetFX just stopped accepting my settings, even though it appears to be running. I did not change anything else during or prior to the patch. At first I thought it may have something to do with the DX update that goes along with each patch, but SweetFX is still working fine in other games.
I tried installing the latest version, the log.log file states that it is initialising the shader environment yet nothing happens in game, regardless of the settings I specify, not even the splitcreen comes up. I'm not running any other overlay program either, so I'm out of ideas.
Is anyone having a similar problem or some sort of solution even?

Ignoranti, quem portum petat, nullus suus ventus est.  -Seneca, Epistulae Morales, VIII, 71, 3

#2 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 30 July 2014 - 23:42

I can't even get mine to work. :(

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

#3 crazy_p

crazy_p

Posted 31 July 2014 - 18:06

yes, same here. after the patch sweetfx stopped working. you can get it to work if you turn off Anti-Aliasing but thats not really a solution. i was looking through many forums and tried to figure out a way to get AA and sweetfx working at the same time but apperently there was no solution that worked well enough. Supersampling is too much for my pc to handle and all the nvidiaInstructor/Control panel settings doesnt seem to do the trick.

i also updated drivers / directx and installed earlier versions but not working.

#4 lederhosen

lederhosen

Posted 31 July 2014 - 19:31

well this sucks, as without sweetFX it looks, well not so good.
Plus if you dont update you cant fly online anymore and all because of a plane I dont want.

Wondering if sweetFX works on the new Sim from russia?

#5 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 01 August 2014 - 20:09

No solutions yet?

I can't stand the default colors of RoF :(

#6 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:59

If you want to use SweetFX/FlightFX you need to turn AA(antialiasing) off.
I did and it works for me.

#7 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:03

If you want to use SweetFX/FlightFX you need to turn AA(antialiasing) off.
I did and it works for me.

Same here…I disabled AA in RoF Settings and enabled AA in Catalyst Control Center and SweetFX and AA are both back up and running in-game just fine.

#8 fubar2niner

fubar2niner

Posted 02 August 2014 - 13:45

Working fine here, just deleted the .exe then re registered ROF.exe.

Best regards.

fubar2niner

#9 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:33

Best regards.

fubar2niner

Hi Fubar,

Exactly how do you re-register the RoF.exe? After deleting it do you simply log-in online?

Thanks for your help on this. I would rather use the in-game AA if possible.

:S!:

#10 fubar2niner

fubar2niner

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:52

Best regards.

fubar2niner

Hi Fubar,

Exactly how do you re-register the RoF.exe? After deleting it do you simply log-in online?

Sorry mate, perhaps I should have myself a tad clearer. I assume you are using the FlightFX utility. If not grab it. Run it and your screen will look like this:

http://riseofflight....hp?id=37286&t=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">download/file.php?id=37286&t=1

In the bottom left you'll see 2 options;
1 'register new game'
2 'delete selected profile'

If you're already using FlightFX simply delete the ROF.exe as seen in the pic, then browse to reselect your new .exe. Then select your chosen graphics profile from the drop down box (FX Preset). Tick the use SweetFX box and you're good to go.

Hope this helps mate, if not hoot I'll try explain in more detail when I'm in front of my own rig. :S!:

Best regards.

fubar2niner

#11 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:52

Best regards.

fubar2niner

Hi Fubar,

Sorry mate, perhaps I should have myself a tad clearer. I assume you are using the FlightFX utility. If not grab it. Run it and your screen will look like this:

http://riseofflight....hp?id=37286&t=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">download/file.php?id=37286&t=1

In the bottom left you'll see 2 options;
1 'register new game'
2 'delete selected profile'

If you're already using FlightFX simply delete the ROF.exe as seen in the pic, then browse to reselect your new .exe. Then select your chosen graphics profile from the drop down box (FX Preset). Tick the use SweetFX box and you're good to go.

Hope this helps mate, if not hoot I'll try explain in more detail when I'm in front of my own rig. :S!:

Best regards.

fubar2niner

Thanks, fubar2niner. No, I'm still just using SweetFX so this may give me the impetus to install FlightFX! I'll also try a simple re-install of SweetFX in the short run.

Thanks for the explanation :S!:

#12 fubar2niner

fubar2niner

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:26

Thanks, fubar2niner. No, I'm still just using SweetFX so this may give me the impetus to install FlightFX! I'll also try a simple re-install of SweetFX in the short run.

Thanks for the explanation :S!:

@Bucksnort

Yes you really should give it a go, it comes pre packed with SweetFX so you might want to upgrade that version. I can really recommend it mate :S!:
Good luck and best regards.

fubar2niner

#13 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:10

+1 for FlightFX.

All in one place.

#14 Memnon77

Memnon77

Posted 15 August 2014 - 18:09

Well, so far no real solution. Yes, SweetFX works for me if I turn off post effects and antialiasing, however, before the latest patch I was able to play it with both post effects (supersampling and HDR) and AA2x enabled. SweetFX just added some extra effects and palette tints and was working fine on top of both.
I wonder why the devs changed the code in that regard?? Perhaps it is already some preparation for an engine/code update from BOS?

Ignoranti, quem portum petat, nullus suus ventus est.  -Seneca, Epistulae Morales, VIII, 71, 3

#15 lederhosen

lederhosen

Posted 15 August 2014 - 18:19

errrr….I cant find FlightFx…end up alwasys with sweetFX

#16 arthursmedley

arthursmedley

Posted 15 August 2014 - 18:26

Have a read of this lederhosen;

Introducing FlightFX for ROF!

#17 fubar2niner

fubar2niner

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:18

What he ^ said ;)

Best regards.

fubar2niner

#18 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 17 August 2014 - 17:16

I still can't get it to work with SweetFX or FlightFX… :(

#19 Thaatu

Thaatu

Posted 18 August 2014 - 17:17

Same here. Playing without the goggle overlay just feels wrong, too gamey. On the other hand, playing without anti-aliasing feels like being in a disco.

#20 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 18 August 2014 - 21:47

Same here. I installed FlightFX but it won't work unless I turn off AA in-game. It works with Post Effects on, though, as long as I have AA off (just like SweetFX).

So now I am using AA in Catalyst which is pretty good and allows me to run SweetFX/FlightFX. But I still think the in-game AA is better. And adding Catalyst to the equation brings up questions, like: I have Super Sampling selected in-game. In Catalyst I also have to select an AA sampling method so I chose Super Sampling. Does that mean I should turn if off in-game, or does Super Sampling apply to more than just AA. Have I created a conflict with it running both in-game and in Catalyst. Just makes things more complicated.

Hoping one of our graphics gurus will jump in and figure this out or at least offer an explanation of what's happened.

#21 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 19 August 2014 - 00:49

Just checked and I'm seeing the same thing - SweetFX won't work with in-game AA turned on to any setting, but will work with post-effects on (at least for raindrops) and in-game AA turned off. Unfortunately, I cannot find any combination of AA settings via nVidia control panel that looks decent in game with in-game AA turned off (all have some moiré pattern like shimmering on some of the farm fields that does not exist with in-game AA turned on).

Guess I'll have to dispense with SweetFX until they get this addressed.

[edit - BTW, I can't even get RoF to run via the rof_updater.exe with SweetFX installed if in-game AA is turned on. I can get RoF to run with SweetFX installed and in-game AA turned on by running straight from rof.exe, BUT then SweetFX doesn't run (only the normal, non-SweetFX graphics are displayed and I can't toggle SweetFX on).]

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#22 fubar2niner

fubar2niner

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:36

Just checked and I'm seeing the same thing - SweetFX won't work with in-game AA turned on to any setting, but will work with post-effects on (at least for raindrops) and in-game AA turned off. Unfortunately, I cannot find any combination of AA settings via nVidia control panel that looks decent in game with in-game AA turned off (all have some moiré pattern like shimmering on some of the farm fields that does not exist with in-game AA turned on).

Guess I'll have to dispense with SweetFX until they get this addressed.

[edit - BTW, I can't even get RoF to run via the rof_updater.exe with SweetFX installed if in-game AA is turned on. I can get RoF to run with SweetFX installed and in-game AA turned on by running straight from rof.exe, BUT then SweetFX doesn't run (only the normal, non-SweetFX graphics are displayed and I can't toggle SweetFX on).][/quote]

@Panther

Have you tried altering AA through SweetFX itself or using Nvidia Inspector rather than Nvidia control panel?

Best regards.

fubar2niner

#23 arthursmedley

arthursmedley

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:31

Hmmm…interesting. In BoS SweetFX worked with AA enabled from day one. Then a couple of months ago with one of the regular Friday updates to the game SweetFX would not work with AA enabled in game.

Which is where we are now. Since then RoF has been updated and SweetFX won't work with AA enabled either. Something common to both games has been changed.

I've been quite happily running BoS with SweetFX enabled and AA disabled as the injector in SweetFX seems to give a more than adequate performance in the game anyway. Infact I'd say BoS runs rather better than RoF at the moment.

#24 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 19 August 2014 - 15:45

@Panther

Have you tried altering AA through SweetFX itself or using Nvidia Inspector rather than Nvidia control panel?

Best regards.

fubar2niner

Not yet - I already use Inspector to set SGAA to get rid of the shimmering, so maybe I'll play around with setting the regular AA that way as well.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#25 lederhosen

lederhosen

Posted 19 August 2014 - 15:59

Salut

and yes indeed it seems that the AA has to be set to off ingame, and SweetFX does a good job by itself.
So that seems to be solved for me too.

#26 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 19 August 2014 - 16:49

Well, I got close with just using SweetFX AA and also some combination of Inspector settings, but still can't quite get rid of the moiré pattern/shimmering that way. I like the way my SweetFX settings look, but I really can't go back to the shimmering after spending so much time trying to get rid of it.

There are still a few more combinations I haven't tried yet, so maybe something will click eventually, but no luck so far :(

#27 fubar2niner

fubar2niner

Posted 19 August 2014 - 18:54

@Panther

Best regards.

fubar2niner

Not yet - I already use Inspector to set SGAA to get rid of the shimmering, so maybe I'll play around with setting the regular AA that way as well.

SGAA………..? Well you got me there, please enlighten me mate. Don't see that setting this end. Prolly looking in the wrong place, hence the nudge request ;) As far as AA setting goes I'm using 8xQ in NI. My Flight/SweetFX setting I can up if required.

Best regards.

fubar2niner

#28 Memnon77

Memnon77

Posted 19 August 2014 - 19:02

Well, it shouldn't be a matter of luck. I don't use SweetFX for BOS, but after reading what arthursmedley wrote, it really seems to be some coding change that now affects ROF as well. I'd like the devs to look into the issue or to at least explain their reasoning for this change, since Sweet/FlightFX seems to be quite popular among their customer base.
In-game AA indeed is superior and avoids those patterns near the horizon, that Panthercules described, thus I'd really like to go back to the way things were, i.e. using in game AA and SweetFX together..

#29 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 19 August 2014 - 20:46

SGAA………..? Well you got me there, please enlighten me mate. Don't see that setting this end. Prolly looking in the wrong place, hence the nudge request ;) As far as AA setting goes I'm using 8xQ in NI. My Flight/SweetFX setting I can up if required.

Best regards.

fubar2niner

I never know exactly what acronym to use for that - I've seen it different ways. I was referring to a setting called "2x Sparse Grid Supersampling" under the heading "Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling" in nVidia Inspector (so probably SGSS would have been better - but I think it was called SGAA in the special nVidia tool I used to use before one of their driver updates obsoleted it).

I've tried several 8x, 16x and 32x settings in Inspector with no luck so far. Would love to take a look at your SweetFX settings file if you don't mind uploading it somewhere.

#30 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 19 August 2014 - 21:14

Success!

I never use in-game supersampling (always found in-game AA and Inspector-forced SGSS/AA to be a better shimmer fix), but since I was turning off in-game AA for these SweetFX tests I decided to give the in-game SS a try again.

With in-game SS turned on, in-game AA turned off, and Inspector setting AA at "8x [8x CSAA (4 color + 4 cv samples)]" I'm getting my SweetFX visuals with absolutely no moiré pattern/shimmering. I tried several maps (Western Front all seasons and Channel Map) and different times of day, and got great results each time.

I'm losing a few FPS this way, but so far still at acceptable levels.

So, maybe it is possible :)

#31 fubar2niner

fubar2niner

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:31

Best regards.

fubar2niner

I never know exactly what acronym to use for that - I've seen it different ways. I was referring to a setting called "2x Sparse Grid Supersampling" under the heading "Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling" in nVidia Inspector (so probably SGSS would have been better - but I think it was called SGAA in the special nVidia tool I used to use before one of their driver updates obsoleted it).

I've tried several 8x, 16x and 32x settings in Inspector with no luck so far. Would love to take a look at your SweetFX settings file if you don't mind uploading it somewhere.

No problem Panther. I'll upload my settings when I get home from work this evening.

Best regards.

fubar2niner

#32 loftyc

loftyc

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:42

No good; I get an immediate CTD with SWeetfx enabled, regardless of AA settings. any other ideas? I've pretty much checked and unchecked every box, post effects, etc.

I get the same issue if I try Sweetfx with Ilya muromets, but it does work on another sim I have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users