Photo
- - - - -

Campaign Generator Tool (ver.11.4 Released!)

• Please log in to reply
1432 replies to this topic

#1 MattM

MattM

Posted 04 November 2009 - 18:46

Incase you've missed it, PatrickWilson has released a new "custom" campaign generator over at Wings of Honor.

http://www.wingsofho...rofcampaignzip/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.wingsofho....com/forums/ipb … mpaignzip/

(You have to register and sign in to that forum/site to download the file - it's free, you just have to do it and wait for confirmation (when you first register) before you can get to the download part)

It's a work in progress and still has shortcomings, but it is a great way to create a more immersive campaign.

#2 =MR.FOX=

=MR.FOX=

Posted 04 November 2009 - 18:57

awesome, thanks for the find. anything that what we currently have will be better.

#3 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:27

I have tested it out, it is a nice little utility.

Simply put, it creates the out-of-plane atmosphere for a career. Squadron roster, transfers, etc. Basically you run the program before you fly, it will generate a mission for you and place it in game. You fly the mission, then fill out some after-action stuff back in the program again and it updates roster stats etc.

Most of what this is doing takes place out of game, it's only effect on game (as of the latest version anyways) is to create a mission. It gives you the ability to "flesh out" your career a bit more. One drawback is the game sees it as single missions so you get no medals on your main screen /shrug

Yeah it still has some bugs.. and needs a bit of fine tuning, but all in all a very nice little tool for the community.

#4 Emmer

Emmer

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:47

Where do i put this?
Could you point a directory place out?

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files

• Attached File  top.png   166.55KB   2 downloads

#5 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 05 November 2009 - 08:00

Sounds fantastic, I'll have it tested when I get home.

Do I have to create a campaign in RoF? If I already have one, will this mess it up? I have 40 kills, I'm a captain, and I have loads of medals, I don't want to lose it all.

#6 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 05 November 2009 - 21:52

Where do i put this?
Could you point a directory place out?

Thank you in advance.

Just put the ROFCampaign folder in your RoF folder. There is an executable (RoFCampaign.jar) inside there.

#7 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:06

Do I have to create a campaign in RoF? If I already have one, will this mess it up? I have 40 kills, I'm a captain, and I have loads of medals, I don't want to lose it all.

From what I read at that other site, this should not affect your existing RoF careers in any way. It said over there that the game just sees this new type of "career" as an unconnected series of "single missions" (in fact, this was listed as one of its drawbacks, as apparently it has an effect on the game not awarding medals or something like it would in one of the regular careers) - in that case, RoF should not affect your existing "real" careers in any way 'cause it just thinks you're flying one of the many single missions on its menu of missions, and that doesn't affect your careers now when you do that with any other single mission in the game, as far as I can tell so far.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#8 Seiseki

Seiseki

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:30

This is really sweet :D

#9 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 06 November 2009 - 21:18

From what I read at that other site, this should not affect your existing RoF careers in any way. It said over there that the game just sees this new type of "career" as an unconnected series of "single missions" (in fact, this was listed as one of its drawbacks, as apparently it has an effect on the game not awarding medals or something like it would in one of the regular careers) - in that case, RoF should not affect your existing "real" careers in any way 'cause it just thinks you're flying one of the many single missions on its menu of missions, and that doesn't affect your careers now when you do that with any other single mission in the game, as far as I can tell so far.

This is correct, it will not mess up any current career. RoF will indeed see it as a single mission, any tallying of this new "career/campaign" is done out of game through the 3rd party program.

#10 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:55

I have set up 2 campaigns in RoF but when I double click the .jar (as per the instructions)it just opens another folder containing a META-INF and rof folder?
Am I supposed to extract the files in the jar. to the RoF folder?

#11 taleks2

taleks2

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:34

I have set up 2 campaigns in RoF but when I double click the .jar (as per the instructions)it just opens another folder containing a META-INF and rof folder?
Am I supposed to extract the files in the jar. to the RoF folder?

You need Sun Java JRE, or any other JRE to run this java archive file.

#12 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 10 November 2009 - 16:39

I bought the Alb.D.III today and wanted to start a career with it.But i can only choose between Alb.D.V and Pfalz DIII starting end of 1917.Something wrong with my settings or is this currently not available?(maybe next patch?)
Horrido,Der Mo

#13 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 11 November 2009 - 00:34

I bought the Alb.D.III today and wanted to start a career with it.But i can only choose between Alb.D.V and Pfalz DIII starting end of 1917.Something wrong with my settings or is this currently not available?(maybe next patch?)
Horrido,Der Mo

You can't start in the Alb D.III or the N.17 currently. I hope this is changed in an update :)

#14 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:47

Hmm..then i have to wait i guess..ok.Thanks for reply
Horrido,Der Mo

#15 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:04

Horrido,Der Mo

You can't start in the Alb D.III or the N.17 currently. I hope this is changed in an update :)

My game just let me start a new career in an Alb D.III just fine - did it twice just now to test it out (haven't bought the N.17, so can't try that one yet).

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#16 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:36

I've started this new type of career, and I must say I'm impressed! It's fantastic how it generates random missions! The only problem is that the first mission I had to fly involved about 20-30 AI planes, and my PC jsut couldn't take it. Pure stuttering….Is there any way to set the parameters so it generates more "PC friendly" missions, like with 10-15 planes tops? Otherwise I don't think I'll be able to play it until I buy a new PC. :(

EDIT:

"Q: My computer can't handle the missions. Performance is horrible.
A: open RofCampaign\Data\RofCampaign.config. Set the base flight parameter for your side to zero. This will reduce the number of friendly flights.
If it sill happens, reduce the enemy flights to 0. Increase opposition flight odds 100.
Improvements are coming int terms of performance options."

Attached Files

#17 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:23

Horrido,Der Mo

My game just let me start a new career in an Alb D.III just fine - did it twice just now to test it out (haven't bought the N.17, so can't try that one yet).

Actually we meant that the RoF Campaign Generator (which this thread is about) will not let you start Albatros D.III or Nieuport 17 careers.

They of course can both be selected with the in-game career option. ;)

#18 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 14 November 2009 - 15:21

Is promotion posible in this campaign? I have 18 victories and I'm still a 2nd lieutnant.

On the last mission I watched the others (AI) land: They landed right into the hangars! But then, the pilot was still alive in the wreck, and he showed thumbs up signaling that he's OK :shock: :D

#19 Seiseki

Seiseki

Posted 15 November 2009 - 18:54

Perhaps this thread should be renamed to Campaign Generator Tool or something.

#20 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 15 November 2009 - 21:35

Good idea, done ;)

#21 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 17 November 2009 - 17:01

Is promotion posible in this campaign? I have 18 victories and I'm still a 2nd lieutnant.

I wouldn't think so - since the game apparently sees this as just a string of unconnected single missions, I don't think you will get promoted.

#22 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 17 November 2009 - 19:32

I think he means out of game and within the ROFCampaign program itself Panther. Yes the game sees these as unconnected missions, the 3rd Party Program is what strings them all together outside of the game.

I actually started as Major with mine. Since you are always the flight leader it bothered me to be a 2nd Lt and in command of higher ranks. So I am unsure if you can be promoted. Victories themselves may not be (and I hope they are not) the only criteria on promotions. IMO aerial victories should weigh more towards medals, successful missions weigh more towards promotion.

If promotions are not implemented then hopefully they will be soon. I saw the creator asking for resources to add medals to the program, so such things are on his mind I would assume.

Edit ~ A few hours after I posted the above the creator of the program posted this on SimHQ:

There is weather, although it is toned down at ground level. People were saying that the AI couldn't take off in 11 MPH winds. However, I have randomized the weather to be mostly clear but with varying degrees of clouds, precipitation, and turbulence.

Nothing on the ground in your version. Next version has MGs along the front.

The player will no longer necessarily be the flight leader in the next version.

Handling of rank is much more sophisticated in the next version. In the current version the player does not get promoted. In the next he will. Squad transfer handling is much more sophisticated.

The last item that I am working on is medals. Once that is in the next version will be done.

I expect to release the next version this weekend or … more likely … next.

Future plans include scrambles when you overfly an enemy airfield, balloons, ground targets.

After that in no particular order, historically accurate squad placement, squadron skins, aces, and others.

#23 J2_squid

J2_squid

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:58

Ive been trying this over the last couple of nights and its excellent!

If your feeling the ROF campaign is lacking, check this out.

*Stickied*

#24 inferno-canada

inferno-canada

Posted 19 November 2009 - 15:55

Nice, i will download and try it.

#25 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:56

Hi all. I post mostly at SimHQ but I wanted to drop in and give an update. This will be a continuous work in progress. I think that the missions are now fun to fly. The upcoming version adds quite a bit of immersion.

V1.03 is coming soon … within a week.
New Features:
- MGs over the front
- More configurable parameters to deal with performance capabilities of different machines.
- More detailed front mapping.
- Player now advances in rank.
- Much more sophisticated promotion/transfer/replacement logic
- Top rank now leads the flight, not necessarily the player
- Medals. Feeling that your efforts are not appreciated? No more!
- Added pilot region - Free text input, where are you from?
- Note to German pilots, this is mostly for you. You can now get medals from Bavaria, Prussia, Wurtemburg, or Saxony. Enter exactly one of those choices to be eligible for regional medals. Others, just use it to add a bit of flavor.
- Extended pilot log and mission results to multiple pages for longer entries.

Bug Fixes:
- Fixed index issue on offensive patrols.
- Squadron chalkboard now sorts by rank.
- Made start position from airfield center configurable to prevent running into the hangars if too much or trees if too little.

#26 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 23 November 2009 - 07:11

Thanks for the updates! This is an awesome utility, looking forward to future versions.

#27 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 23 November 2009 - 14:26

Fantastic..and we´re just in the beginning :)
Looking forward to that.Best addon to RoF so far!
Horrido,DerMo

#28 Gremlin_WoH

Gremlin_WoH

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:43

Pat has sent me the new version 2.0 of RoFCampaign. Go grab it here: http://www.wingsofhonour.com/riseofflight/resources/html_woh_riseofflight_resources_files_unofficialaddons_gameplay.en.html

Enjoy

#29 Bleddyn

Bleddyn

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:17

Great news, thank you!

#30 ArcticWolf

ArcticWolf

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:12

Thx for sharing fellas :D

#31 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 24 November 2009 - 13:59

V2.0
New Features:
- MGs over the front - turn this off if you have performance issues.
- More configurable parameters - see RoFCampaign.config in RoFCampaign\Data.
- More detailed front mapping.
- Player now advances in rank.
- Much more sophisticated promotion/transfer/replacement logic
- Top rank now leads the flight, not necessarily the player
- Medals. Feeling that your efforts are not appreciated? No more!
- Added pilot region - Free text input, where are you from?
- Note to German pilots, the region field is mostly for you. You can now get medals from Bavaria, Prussia, Wurtemburg, or Saxony. Enter exactly one of those choices when creating a new campaign to be eligible for regional medals. Others, just use it to add a bit of flavor.
- Extended pilot log and mission results to multiple pages for longer entries.

Bug Fixes:
- Fixed index issue on offensive patrols.
- Squadron chalkboard now sorts by rank.
- Made start position configurable to prevent running into the hangars on one side or trees on the other.

Note: you will have to create a new career as the data files are not backwards compatible. If there are folks out there who would like to save an old career I can probably do a converter. My suspicion is that this thing is not being used so much at this point that people have a career that they are attached to, so I did not do the conversion (time - wish I had more to spend on this).

#32 =J99=Sizzlorr

=J99=Sizzlorr

Posted 24 November 2009 - 14:03

Thanks Pat i appriciate your efforts! Keep up your very good work!

yedwwtfx.gif

#33 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 24 November 2009 - 14:14

That was quick!Thank u so much Pat,With your mod i finally get the ´beeing there´ feeling :D
Horrido, Der Mo

#34 hq_Neca

hq_Neca

Posted 24 November 2009 - 15:10

Is there any way to have shorter routes on missions?

#35 Mc.Duff

Mc.Duff

Posted 24 November 2009 - 20:25

Thanks for everything you've put into this Pat. It's what I've been waiting for to add some immersion to the single player element. The only thing that makes this unplayable for me is the length of the patrols.
I realize that it's probably authentic but without the time compression I can't spend an hour or two on a single missiom..I just haven't got that sort of time or patience. :roll:
I think there are a few of us out there who are hoping for some shorter patrol options.
What you have so far is excellent and I am following this very closely. Thanks again.

#36 Seiseki

Seiseki

Posted 24 November 2009 - 21:40

Thanks for everything you've put into this Pat. It's what I've been waiting for to add some immersion to the single player element. The only thing that makes this unplayable for me is the length of the patrols.
I realize that it's probably authentic but without the time compression I can't spend an hour or two on a single missiom..I just haven't got that sort of time or patience. :roll:
I think there are a few of us out there who are hoping for some shorter patrol options.
What you have so far is excellent and I am following this very closely. Thanks again.

Something is wrong with the time compression, it's supposed to work :/

#37 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 25 November 2009 - 00:44

Its a RoF thing.The more flights active,the more memory u need.Seems like RoF cant handle too much aircraft and so it affects acceleration.Turn down the flight values in Rise of Flight\RoFCampaign\Data\RofCampaign.config,it helps to get at least 2x and 4x acceleration.
Horrido,Der Mo

#38 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 25 November 2009 - 02:40

Der Mo has it right. There are configuration parameters in RofCampaign.config that allow you to adjust several things that could impact performance: friendly flights, enemy flights, and machine gun settings.

As far as shorter missions, there are some squadrons that are very close to the front. Unfortunately I don't have a list, but with a bit of hunting and pecking you can find one. That is the only way that I have at the moment to shorten flights.

Without properly working time compression it is very difficult to do more. The furthest airfields are only 40Km away from the front. Most are about 20-35KM. On 8x compression that would only be a few minutes. On regular flight it is 20 minutes in and 20 back, never mind doing anything when you arrive.

Willing to take ideas because I don't know what can be done.

#39 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:49

Just tried my first mission with version 2.0. Everything seemed to go pretty well, after a false start in which one of my AI buddies crashed into me shortly after takeoff. Turned out that I was apparently a few weeks senior to the other Leutnant in my flight (the 2 others were junior ranks), so I was leader, and at first the others seemed to have a hard time forming up on me, but eventually we all got the hang of it. I was a little disappointed that none of the mission briefing/description had found its way into the in-game mission description screen - I had generated the mission several hours before I flew it so I didn't really remember anything about the mission parameters - is there any way to have the generator program create a suitable in-game mission description in the mission file it creates?

Anyway, having the flight path lines drawn out on the in-game map was a great help, and I followed them with my flight until they spotted a couple of Dolphins above us and started climbing to meet them. One of my AI buddies got one, and I got the other. I lost my buddies for a while, but dove down into NML and found them again. Nothing was going on, so I tried to get them to head home with me - one did but the other two wandered of somewhere. I guess if I'm going to be leader I'll have to practice up on my squadron leader commands.

Landed back at base, quit the game and entered my info about the 2 kills into the Generator. From a reference in the readme to a "pilots log", I thought there was going to be a place to enter some free-form comments about the flight (similar to the war diary function in IL-2 Stab), but I didn't see anything like that - is there a function like that in the program, and if not, is there any chance of adding one? I remember that function as adding greatly to my enjoyment of IL-2, and I'd love to see something similar here.

The chalk board worked great, and I and the other Leutnant who got a kill on the mission both were awarded a medal (Iron Cross 2nd Class, IIRC). One thing though - I couldn't find any way to get back to view the results of the first mission or the awards status. Is there any sort of presistent trace of the career as it progresses, i.e., ability to review the results of any given mission after it's been completed, or to view whatever awards you may have received over time?

All in all, a really good start for adding some of the career immersion that the devs left out. Thanks for making this available, and I look forward to seeing more of your great work :!:

#40 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 25 November 2009 - 14:01

Panthercules: If I read your post correctly both of the things that you want will be available in a future release.

1. Free text entry to write your own combat report.
2. Save combat reports and allow the player to look back on them.
3. In game mission description.

The last is actually coded and in the game … except that it doesn't work. The .eng file contains all of the descriptions (at least for English and that's what we are working with at the moment). It is linked to the mission by the .list file. The .list file contains this entry:

filename="missions/frontline.eng","ef7e9720"

It is the 8 byte hex number at the end that I believe is doing me in. What is it, what does it mean, and how can I create a proper value outside of the mission editor?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users