Photo
- - - - -

Camel Graphics Issue

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Michael2

Michael2

Posted 01 November 2009 - 19:35

The new planes look fantastic, but I have one minor quibble with the Camel cockpit. The instrument panel should be varnished wood, not metal. I have seen numerous photographs and I also have a set of Sopwith factory drawings, which clearly show and specify that it is wood.

It would be great if this was corrected in the next update.

#2 Seiseki

Seiseki

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:41

Funny that you mentioned it, I'm building a 1:48 scale Sopwith Camel Model, and it also says that the instrument panel should be wood coloured.
I was about to re-paint it after I saw the cockpit in-game, but after reading this I'm not so sure anymore..

Oh and what's up with the borders around the cockpit, they're gray which looks quite strange, I thought it was supposed to be brown leather.

#3 MattM

MattM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 17:14

Easy to fix, i will give it a try and report back. What color should the wood have? Like the wood on the left and right side that's visible in cockpit? Or darker?

EDIT: Quick 2 minute paint job:

Attached Files

#4 150GCT_Veltro

150GCT_Veltro

Posted 02 November 2009 - 18:40

Also machineguns for my opinion need an improvement. SE5a (or Dolphin) are quite better, more "metallic" than the Camel MG. Would be nice have a standard textures quality.
About the instrument panel is painted wood in the aircraft.

#5 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 02 November 2009 - 21:22

Good job Matt.Maybe Neoq made the entire wood a bit too dark.Compare this pic.
Attached File  Sopwith_Camel_Cockpit_1.jpg   120.78KB   411 downloads
Also There u see that that black leather is correct.
Greetings Der Mo

#6 Michael2

Michael2

Posted 02 November 2009 - 23:02

MattM, that wood panel looks great. Can you tell us what files need to be swapped/modified, and where they are, etc. I would really like to make the same change.

I think the tone of the wood is OK. The photo above is all lit up by a camera flash.

#7 MattM

MattM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 23:25

You have to edit the sopcamel_c.dds file, i've attached that file, since it's packed inside one of the graphic*.gtp files and you would have to unpack it first.

Then edit it with your favorite program (might have to decompile to .tga first and recompile to .dds with -dxt5 when you are done), then place it in the

Rise of Flight\data\planes\sopcamel\textures

folder.

I've rewored the texture a bit more, see the attached pic. Still needs some work, but looks pretty so far imo.

Attached Files

#8 NickM

NickM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 23:36

Nice. Is that the correct folder? There is no data\planes\sopcamel\textures by default.

Cheers,

Nick

#9 MattM

MattM

Posted 02 November 2009 - 23:56

Yes the folder is correct.

However, the file i attached above is not the new texture with wood. It's just the default texture, if you want to mess with it yourself. I'll try to improve the texture a little more and plan to release it tommorow.

#10 NickM

NickM

Posted 03 November 2009 - 00:03

OK - thanks.

Nick

#11 Michael2

Michael2

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:35

Anyone finished a replacement texture for this?

#12 Jimko

Jimko

Posted 08 November 2009 - 17:34

Yes the folder is correct.

However, the file i attached above is not the new texture with wood. It's just the default texture, if you want to mess with it yourself. I'll try to improve the texture a little more and plan to release it tommorow.

MattM…The Camel is my favourite and your panel is excellent! Have you got the final version available and if so, where is it? Nice work!

#13 MattM

MattM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 17:52

Sorry guys, didn't have alot of time recently. Here is my "first version" of the cockpit texture. Feel free to improve it even further and release it here.

Attached Files

#14 NakedSquirrel

NakedSquirrel
  • Tester

Posted 12 November 2009 - 14:28

Haha Neat-o! Can we just get this added to the next patch?

#15 NickM

NickM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:23

Thanks, Matt!

Cheers,

Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users