- - - - -

Let's Play Rise of Flight!

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:34

Hi RoFfers,

I guess many of you know what a YouTube "Let's Play" but for those who don't, it's screen recorded gameplay that usually comes with some kind of commentary. Most of the time it is aimed at being entertaining, funny, informative or what have you and it gives titles like Rise of Flight a chance to be seen and discussed on the wider, mainstream internet.

I'd been toying with the idea of doing my own Let's Play for quite a while when I found this guy called Tailmange on YouTube who is doing it already, here's an example of one of his videos:

He plays Il2-1946 and Silent Hunter as well, games that don't get a lot of attention out there in the big bad web deserve that certainly deserve some.

So, I've also started my own Series on RoF as well if it interests any of you…

Anyway, I thought I'd post these here for everyone here to have a look at. There's definitely room for more Rise of Flight videos on YouTube so, if you were thinking about giving it a go yourself then hopefully this might give you some ideas or inspiration to get started.

Cheers. :S!:

#2 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 16 June 2014 - 20:42

good luck with the series, I like em

#3 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 16 June 2014 - 22:29

Good initiative Jimmy.

If we can keep hijackers out of the thread it will go well.
Cheers.

#4 ciki

ciki

Posted 16 June 2014 - 23:01

:)

#5 Stackenblocker

Stackenblocker

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:04

this series did pursade me to upgrade to ICE, i like!

#6 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:09

Dukely has also some nice RoF lets plays:
https://www.youtube....oCqN3IHoPFOgRqk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube....playlist?list=P … IHoPFOgRqk

#7 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 18 June 2014 - 15:16

Thanks for the support, views, subs and kind words guys!

Good find DrZeeebra, another addition to my featured channels. (P.S. Where do you get the music you use in your videos from, I love it.)

#8 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 18 June 2014 - 18:01

^^ I enjoy this site for soundtracks (since I don´t record in-game sound at the moment)
http://freemusicarchive.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://freemusicarchive.org/

#9 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:58

Fantastic, thank you sir!

#10 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 19 June 2014 - 15:09

Found another one: Jack Wall

#11 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 19 June 2014 - 15:49

Jimmy you are to be commended for your work here. I earnestly believe any works such as your and other in this field is a positive step to help and encourage others to try Rise of Flight. Thank you very much and if it's all right I will be featuring them on our New Wings Forums and our New Wings Facebook page.

A quick note here, your voice in your second video sounded much better and more professional than your first.

Chief

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

G5fCmYF.png

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#12 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 21 June 2014 - 14:17

Well thanks Chief, I appreciate the sentiment and I'm glad to have them featured on your site.

I hope you're still finding plenty of young braves to turn into virtual warriors with New Wings and yes, the second video was much better. The third should be up sometime tomorrow with many more to come.

#13 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:16

Hey guys,

Just an update to let you know that we're still plugging away on YouTube. I also have a competition running to come up with a name for my Nieuport. Entries are in the comments section of the following video if you'd like to vote.

P.S. Be prepared for a thread by me saying I messed up altering the skin and need help because now my plane is flourescent pink or something…

Here's Tailmanges latest video also, check it out. He does pretty well for someone who is reasonably new to RoF and I'm sure some of you could help him out with a few pointers.

Cheers for reading guys and thanks for the views and subs. Don't be backwards in coming forwards either here or in the comments if there is anything you'd like to see featured on my channel. Let me know if you'd like to see any other campaigns, games or anything else, I'm open to any (reasonable) suggestions.

#14 Timmaaa2945z

Timmaaa2945z

Posted 09 July 2014 - 14:21

These are really great!! I used to watch a lot of Let's Plays depending on what game I was currently playing. I just got started with RoF and will be watching this channel all the time now! Thank-You :S!:

#15 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:09

Awesome Timmaaa, glad you're liking them.

#16 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:25

For those who haven't seen it, I'm still horsing about out of Belrain, bending Nieuports and somehow staying alive. Can't wait to get my hands on a SPAD, life is getting unpredictable with the arrival of the Albatros.

#17 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 21 September 2014 - 22:24

Well, it's finally over. Lt JimmyBlonde ended up the victim of his own inability to land the Nieuport 17.

Any suggestions for the next one? I'm leaning towards a Halberstadt CL.II career.

#18 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud

Posted 21 September 2014 - 22:46

Hell Jimmy, your braver than most of us by simply singing the end song …. Well done buddy, well done …

Chief

G5fCmYF.png

#19 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:19

LMAO, it was very "spur of the moment" mate. Anyway, it's looking like I'll do a Career Beta Halberstadt CL.II career next coupled with a PWCG campaign for the RFC.

Also, coming soon, Il-2 Battle of Stalingrad (As soon as the campaign is out) and a bit of a look at DCS World, provided I can figure out how to fly anything in it.

#20 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud

Posted 22 September 2014 - 13:46

LMAO, it was very "spur of the moment" mate. Anyway, it's looking like I'll do a Career Beta Halberstadt CL.II career next coupled with a PWCG campaign for the RFC.

Also, coming soon, Il-2 Battle of Stalingrad (As soon as the campaign is out) and a bit of a look at DCS World, provided I can figure out how to fly anything in it.

I'm still wrestling with the Dora take offs in DCS and haven't bought the 190 for BoS yet. But I am having loads of fun ground looping with the LaGG 3 in BoS.

And if there is one thing across the board in ALL the Flight Sims I need to work at, is landings. I really am bad at that. Some of the runways in BoS seem long enough to get up from but really, really short to land on.

Chief

G5fCmYF.png

#21 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 22 September 2014 - 14:07

Ha, me too but the scraping and smashing sounds effects my LaGG makes as I dig another trench in the runway are so well made I really don't mind at all.

#22 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 22 September 2014 - 14:29

Jimmy,
Great stuff, mate! Props to you and Tailmange for some much needed exposure for a great flight sim! :S!:

I don't know if you're familiar with the PWCG personal skins feature, but it would be pretty cool to see it in use, … given all of the hours Panther, Gooseh, and myself have spent creating these for PWCG. It's especially useful for keeping track of which opponent you've spent a lot of bullets on, and what happened to them after you moved onto their mate (when looking back at the recording). It does require a bit of HDD commitment, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to affect your in-game FPS performance. Check it out here for more info: The One Place to go for Skins for use with PWCG

Looking forward to more stuff from you guys! Cheers!

:S!:

#23 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 22 September 2014 - 22:47

That's awesome Dude, I'll take a look at it. Things like this are really great for story building in these Let's Play's.

#24 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:43

Almost done downloading them all so the next PWCG campaign (Which I will be starting this week) Will be featuring these skins.

Provided I don't mess anything up…

#25 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 25 September 2014 - 14:10

Jimmy,
That's good news. I'm looking forward to seeing your next series, and I'm sure "Bob" or "Fritz" will enjoy their new paint jobs! Any idea of the squadron and timeline you'll be flying? I only ask because Pat hasn't fully implemented all of our latest work up to this date, and I'm currently working on adding a few more Jastas at the moment. I can send you any of the text data you'll need, depending on your choice of squadron and Pat's progress with our latest work. Just send me a PM and I'll see to it that you have everything you'll need.

#26 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:13

Thanks Dude, I've been having a poke through and doing a bit of testing in anticipation of just that and I've generated a career that should be pretty well covered on the Channel map for Jasta 8 (Starting in February, 1917).

We're going full Fritz this time!

I will also be looking at a 56 Squadron co-op campaign in the SE-5 in the near future. (So many things to keep track of, I need to hire a PA.)

While I was testing though I did notice that the N.11 hadn't received much in the way of personalisation, the E.III also but I suppose that this wasn't a big thing for aircraft of their period.

#27 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 26 September 2014 - 14:13

Well … I had Jasta 8 planned for the following round of skin work, but I could put my current stuff on hold breifly and try to get something out for them. The soonest would probably not be until next Monday or Tuesday, since I'll be in Dayton this weekend for the Dawn Patrol Rendezvous. :mrgreen: If that's OK with you, then maybe you'd like to select the squad's skin line-up here: PWCG Personal Skins for Any Jasta (It's not necessary, but I like to give users some input in the process)

Otherwise, you could chose a different Jasta if you want to get started right away. The completed Central scout squads are Jasta 2,4,6,7,10,11, and 18. Unfortunately, the early plane set (E.III & Halb. D.II) don't have personal skins, and I don't believe Panther did much for the early Entente scouts either. We just felt that wouldn't be too historically plausible, so the personal skins really start to show up at the beginning of 1917, and carry through to the end of the war.

Either way, we should update your PWCG text coding to reflect the latest skin work, unless Pat releases an updated version before you start. You'll just need to download a small update to your RoFCampaign folder. I'll put a download together as soon as I know how (and when) you plan to get started.

Edit: On second thought, I could get you something to begin a career with Jasta 8 later tonight, just as long as I know the plane they would begin flying with. I need to make a download available to you before you get started anyway, so to create a set of skins for one plane type (maybe even two) and including them in that download is not too difficult.

Update: OK, this should be easier than I thought. In PWCG, they don't use the - PD3a, FDr1, or the FD7F, so I can crank this out tonight. I already have the text files "penciled in", pending final selection of the designs used, and these are extremely easy to create as the squad's unique design element is all on the tail and doesn't interfere with my work.

#28 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 26 September 2014 - 23:41

Nice one Dude, that's awesome.

Ok, so I generated a Jasta 8 campaign and I had to picked skins for each pilot. If I had picked a completed Jasta would this have happened on its own? I'm not really sure how the skin assignment works. I had a bit of a look around on Google and it looks like red and white stripes became the motif for Jasta 8 so I guess that individual pilots would have tried to retain that alongside their personal devices. Anyway, you know what you are doing better than I do in that regard.

As for the update, I'd be pretty keen to get my hands on that if I could. Depending on the size you might be able to attach it to a PM or post here, or if it is just a bit of editing that I can handle in notepad myself then let me know what to do.

No rush though, I will be doing two RoF Let's Play's side by side this time around so I can always work on the other.

#29 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 26 September 2014 - 23:54

Jimmy,
I'll have you all sorted out once I'm finished tonight. It'll be as simple as installing the skin packs (to update the coding), and then you'll just need to install the J8 skin packs.

Yes, Jasta 8 has a "candy-striped" tail. Colorful, but kinda gay looking … :lol:
I selected 10 designs that'll look good with their paint job, and I made sure to include a few of (what seems to be) the more popular ones. Sorry, but I couldn't endorse adding the "Black Falcon" motif, not with that candy-striped tail! ;) I did include the "Skull" design, so it's not too "Disney-ish".

I'll update you (and all the PWCG users) when these are uploaded!

#30 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 27 September 2014 - 00:35

I've extracted the skin pack manually, will this make a difference?

#31 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:15

Nope, not as long as you put everything in the proper aircraft folders (in skins).

The little monster is in bed, and I'm getting started now. A couple hours or so … :)

#32 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:33

Jimmy,
Here are all of the Jasta 8 personal skins:

http://www.mediafire...3_PW_G8_All.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mediafire.../download/oai13 … G8_All.zip
http://www.mediafire...5_PW_G8_All.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mediafire.../download/owpac … G8_All.zip
http://www.mediafire...7_PW_G8_All.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mediafire.../download/i5ond … G8_All.zip

Just install them as you've done with the others.

Note: There are two AD2 and AD2L skins included with the AD3 skin pack. They're named a bit different, as they will be used by other squads that get that skin in the future.

As for updating your PWCG for the latest Central skins, download and install this file: http://www.mediafire...Skin_Update.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mediafire.../download/m47um … Update.zip

Just open the zip file, and open the first folder. Then drag the folder 'RoFCampaign' (and all of its subfolders into your 'Rise of Flight' folder. Click "yes" to merge all, and then "yes" to replace all files. That's it, mate!

Unfortunately, it seems as if Panthercules hasn't updated his text file for his latest No.56 SE5a skins. I know you need those, but he can do the same thing I did with my text updates for you. Maybe you could send him a PM about it.

Anyway, once you've installed my skins and text files, you will see them available on the skin assignment page (click on each pilot's aircraft photo on his personal page). The skins specifically created for J8 will show up in the middle column in the main window. They don't have previews, so you'll need to familiarize yourself with my naming convention ( PWCG Personal Skins for Any Jasta ). Also, if Jasta 8 is using more than one type of aircraft at the same time, you'll need to toggle the plane type at the top of the main screen and select the same skin for each type of plane. It sounds like more work than it is, and you only need to do it once per pilot (don't forget the replacements as they arrive), and once more for everyone if they get a new plane or paint scheme (camo changes and Balkenkreuz). Some would rather it were automated, but I like matching the pilots to their paint jobs (like the creepy looking dude gets the "Skull", and Hans Schmidt gets the "S", etc.). Have fun with it!

Let me know if you run into any troubles!

#33 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:42

That's awesome Dude, thanks very much! I should be recording the first episode of the new PWCG career tomorrow so it will only be a day or so until you can see your and (Panthercules's and Gooseh's) hard work in the virtual skies!

#34 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 29 September 2014 - 23:11

And here it is, after a lot of downloading and installing!

I probably do a bad job of explaining it but it's fantastic work from you guys. The personalisations are great!

#35 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:42

Great stuff, Jimmy! Thanks again for your Let's Play series!
That turned out to be a pretty exciting go for your first J8 sortie. I was leaning every which way to try and look through that damn oil at the end! :lol:

Two things to mention …

First, I lied to you in my instructions (sort of). The skins "assigned" for use by Jasta 8 are in the UPPER column. So, for the D.II, you won't have "G8" in the title, as it is replaced by "Dflt". This is due to the fact that there isn't a red and white striped J8 skin in RoF for the D.II (almost no Jastas have paint jobs for the D.II), so most squads share the "Dflt" personal skins. The difference in the PWCG GUI is that you will see the same 10 skins listed in the upper column, and when you assign one for one pilot, it will disappear from that column for the other pilots (to avoid assigning the same skin to multiple pilots). So you should probably assign the pilot with the "G8_Star" skin for his D.III, the "Dflt_Star" skin for his D.II. Picking skins out of the lower column is a bit more difficult because it shows ALL of the skins available. Of course, you're free to choose from the lower column for your assigned skin, but you probably won't have the same design available for other planes in future flights.

Also, Panthercules and myself are lobbying Pat to change the formula for implementing personal skins for AI squads that you encounter. Right now, it tends to use them way less than we'd like (about 20% or so). We're hoping to see Pat increase that to 90-100% for the next update. Hopefully that will happen soon, because it's much more fun to know who you've shot up and who is giving you the most grief. Having these in PWCG has increased my situational awareness without me even thinking too much about it. Just thought you'd like to know …

Anyway, keep von Blonde safe as I'm hoping to enjoy watching a long and successful career!

#36 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:54

Thanks Dude again for watching and to the tree of you contributing here for your hard work. I see that you are a phantom leaner as well, I do the same thing watching people on YouTube, sometimes I even move the mouse around or click the screen in a vain attempt to drag the view around.

It's going to be great for the series to be encountering a lot more personalised skins. Hopefully Pat has a cunning plan up his sleeve to get more of them into the game. (If it's just a matter of doing some monkey work like adding the names to a .txt file then let me know and I'll gladly help out.)

#37 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:13

I think it's a simple fix, Jimmy, but I think it's something that needs to be done on Pat's end, and I believe he has limited time for PWCG as of late. Panther, Gosseh and myself just need to keep cranking out more squads.

Oh, and here's the link for the corrected 56 sqdn SE5a text files: http://www.mediafire.com/download/2996avkfqw36hpd/Panther's_PWCG__Personal_Skin_Text_Files_(SE5a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mediafire.../download/2996a … iles_(SE5a

Just open that zip file and drag the 'RoFCampaign' folder into your Rise of Flight folder and click "yes" to merge all, and "yes" to replace all. That should bring you completely up to date and ready for the No. 56 sqdn.

#38 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:39

Thanking you sir! :S!:

#39 josef_baran

josef_baran

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:56

another great video! thanks!
question, am i seeing the same graphical glitch (winter white buildings in spring) that i seem to have when i play??

i would like to figure out how to fix that

cheers, Ron

#40 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 30 September 2014 - 13:54

josef_baran,
Unfortunately, the Channel map doesn't have Winter or Fall landscape textures yet (… but I'm growing doubtful they ever will). However, the buildings do have Winter textures, so you'll see them using those during the appropriate months. Jimmy's J8 career is Feb.'17 and on the Channel map, so that would explain what you're seeing in this video.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users