Photo
- - - - -

Well, it was a promising sim...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Burning_Daylight

Burning_Daylight

Posted 31 October 2009 - 00:39

I know this topic has been done to death and everyone is sick of it, so this'll be my last post. I just wanted to let he developers know that they lost a potentially lucrative customer because of their crappy authentication system.

I have every sim ever made and a few of them I fly regularly (FSX, Lock On: Flaming Cliffs, Black Shark, Il-2, CFS2 & 3, and even X-plane). I buy aircraft for FSX regularly as well (I have every plane A2A Simulations has released) and if I'd had a good experience with ROF, I'm sure I would have purchased every plane offered since its original release (Hey, it's not my fault, it's an addiction, I'm sure!)

For the last few months, 9 times out of 10 I can't even get past the authorization page when trying to play. My frustration level has reached its threshold. I quit. There are too many other sims to play that don't give me any issues. I load up, I fly, everything works fine, and I don't have to worry about being connected to the internet.

It's too bad, though. There was so much I really liked about this sim.

If you decide to get rid of the constant authentication process, please let me know at alias_unknown_2004@yahoo.com. I'll be happy to start playing it again and buy up all sorts of new planes.

Until then…

#2 NakedSquirrel

NakedSquirrel
  • Tester

Posted 31 October 2009 - 05:35

It takes me about 2-3 trys to get past the authentication screen. The problem may have something to do with the interface. A quick Right and Left mouse button click right after I click 'OK' seems to do the trick, though that might just be superstition. The main thing is to give it a second to process, it should kick in.

#3 wmar67

wmar67

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:04

I posted something similar. Not to start a war - but they had to be told why I wasn't buying it, just so they knew what to tag the lost sale down to.

They have recently emailed me and offered me an upgrade offer on the demo. It was very tempting, but I had to refuse based on the connection issues and requirement to be online constantly.

I keep coming back to check in the vein hope they've removed the CP…but I fear they never will.

Too bad. I would also have been a very lucrative customer, buying all addons on release!

EDIT - meant to add, you're aircraft are stunning - I would buy every one in a heartbeat!

#4 Pirabee

Pirabee

Posted 31 October 2009 - 17:05

Ive been here before,bewailing the constant connect to internet whallah.Back then I hadnt even purchased the game.But my brother went to the UK and I posted him a death-threat, how his aircraft'd be shot down upon re-entry if he came back without one. He faithfully procured a copy and I then realized my worries were only beginning.Not only did he purchase a version 1(which I reckon isnt the latest)secondly, I have an old dial-up and am being required to download over 1000mb of update!!! - and this in a country where power-supply is epileptic in the best of times.

Give me a break neoqb, Microsoft and all the rest who've churned out games have the same piracy worries to contend with,yet they allow you the freedom to load once - sometimes activate once - and then enjoy the product all you want.I am right now still attempting to download the updates using a back-up generator with limited fuel.I know already I dont stand a chance in hell to finish the download before I run out of fuel.

Please, please, please, neoqb try and loosen up somewhat and give us a chance.I may live in Africa but I have a fondness for WW1 aircombat.I cant imagine the best version of the genre going about and I unable to join in the fun.Please, produce a patch that shortcuts all these strictures and that allows non-internet flight. I'd be eternally indebted. ;)

#5 Sirocco

Sirocco

Posted 31 October 2009 - 22:15

Never had a single problem with authentication.

Not a wireless connection issue?

#6 SSA-Supra2JZ

SSA-Supra2JZ

Posted 31 October 2009 - 22:29

Its to do with the speed of your internet. For example I have Broadband ADSL2+ and can login and play fine all the time, HOWEVER if I go over my download limit and my internet speed is slowed I can no longer play ROF because the internet speed is too slow to log into ROF!

This is definately a problem because not everyone that wants to play ROF has fast internet.

#7 MattM

MattM

Posted 31 October 2009 - 22:43

The problem is, that it just has to be logged in the whole time and if you lose connection for just a little moment (for whatever reason, modem rebooting or whatever), it gives you an error message and whatever you did in that mission, is gone. That's why i don't like the current system.

Today, my provider decided to update the firmware of my modem, while i was playing ROF. Boom, connection lost.

Just make it so we have to log in when starting ROF and we won't have problems like this.

#8 qwer_ty

qwer_ty

Posted 31 October 2009 - 22:59

The problem is, that it just has to be logged in the whole time and if you lose connection for just a little moment (for whatever reason, modem rebooting or whatever), it gives you an error message and whatever you did in that mission, is gone. That's why i don't like the current system.

Today, my provider decided to update the firmware of my modem, while i was playing ROF. Boom, connection lost.

Just make it so we have to log in when starting ROF and we won't have problems like this.

Issue with disconnect is known and will be fixed.

#9 Mekon

Mekon

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:12

Ive been here before,bewailing the constant connect to internet whallah.Back then I hadnt even purchased the game.But my brother went to the UK and I posted him a death-threat, how his aircraft'd be shot down upon re-entry if he came back without one. He faithfully procured a copy and I then realized my worries were only beginning.Not only did he purchase a version 1(which I reckon isnt the latest)secondly, I have an old dial-up and am being required to download over 1000mb of update!!! - and this in a country where power-supply is epileptic in the best of times.

Give me a break neoqb, Microsoft and all the rest who've churned out games have the same piracy worries to contend with,yet they allow you the freedom to load once - sometimes activate once - and then enjoy the product all you want.I am right now still attempting to download the updates using a back-up generator with limited fuel.I know already I dont stand a chance in hell to finish the download before I run out of fuel.

Please, please, please, neoqb try and loosen up somewhat and give us a chance.I may live in Africa but I have a fondness for WW1 aircombat.I cant imagine the best version of the genre going about and I unable to join in the fun.Please, produce a patch that shortcuts all these strictures and that allows non-internet flight. I'd be eternally indebted. ;)

I have the same gripe,I have to spend 50 hours or so,updating to 1.0.0.8,and if I am lucky may spend a couple of hours actually playing the game,only to then be told there will be another patch at the end of November[1.0.0.9].OK i am on Dial-up,only because there is nothing else available in my area.When I am online,the game runs smoothly,with no "stuttering",just the constant threat of seeing the "Authentication error" message pop up at the most annoying time.
Can not Neqeb introduce an offline ,or at least non updated version of play in the next or some future patch.I would be content with playing the game in any of its last patched versions,so I didn't have to constantly be updated,and be online for playing.
Reading through the forums it is apparent that Neqeb has lost many sales to people who,either don't want to keep being online or don't have access to a good internet connection.
If they are concerned about security ,or hacking,lets face it,WW1 flying games are not very likely to be cracked.

Attached Files

#10 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:15

I can't understand how you can have connecting problems…I live in the a**-hole of the world, (a Pacific island) with surely the worth web connection. For sure i can't play multiplayer, but all the rest is absolutly ok. (since last patch, for the master server error #2…)
So it's a fact, Neoqb is no more responsable of a bad connection…

[EDIT: Moderator edit for language]

#11 Mekon

Mekon

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:21

I can't understand how you can have connecting problems…I live in the a**-hole of the world, (a Pacific island) with surely the worth web connection. For sure i can't play multiplayer, but all the rest is absolutly ok. (since last patch, for the master server error #2…)
So it's a fact, Neoqb is no more responsable of a bad connection…

[EDIT: Moderator edit for language]

I am not "blaming Neoqeb for the connection faults..".What I am blaming them for ,is making a game where you have to be online,just to play "single player",the first and I believe Last time this has been a necessity in any game[to my knowledge,and I have been playing games since the original DOS 'Wings of Glory"].
Just reading through the forums and seeing all the "connection problems and authentication errors",I feel sure this will not set a precedent,for other game producers.AS you say you are unable to play multiplayer yourself,you don't get connection problems,that's probably because you ARE on a ***Pacific Island,there's a limited traffic flow on the phone lines due to small population.
In my opinion: ROF is a good game[or will be, when its finished]but with bad marketing tactics.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users