Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Aces Falling server

• Please log in to reply
556 replies to this topic

#161 ST-Zeno

ST-Zeno

Posted 27 May 2014 - 21:59

:S!: Go ahead Sid! We Trolls stay with u!!

#162 HippyDruid

HippyDruid

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:33

Thanks for the efforts Sid.
The ping times from Sydney are much better than FC ever was. The server generally feels a lot smoother for me.
I like the statistics site too, even though I'm not a leaderboard kinda pilot.

Cheers man! :S!:

#163 ER_O_v._Kessler

ER_O_v._Kessler

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:43

I see the roundpoints are set by 2000 points each round.
Please set the points down, i think 500 to 800 each round are enough..
Good server with a lot of fun :S!: :S!:

Spandau.. What else ?? :icon_mad:

#164 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 31 May 2014 - 21:08

The round points are intentional. Originally we had 5 rounds of 300 points.

That meant every 20-30 mins you got that message flashing up say one or other side had won a round, and a popular map would last considerably less than the 2 hour mission time (sometimes only 45 mins or so), conversely an un-popular mission would run the full 2 hours.

By having 1 round of 2000 points, we've removed the pop up message and all furballing maps last the full 2 hours.

If you guys want the furballing maps to be shorter, I can reduce the time to say an 1:30, but the round points are irrelevant on these map (I wish I could remove the mini score board from the screen, but I haven't found a way to do that yet).

#165 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 31 May 2014 - 21:19

I'm going to take the server down after the current mission finishes (about 22:30 BST/ 21:30 UTC), I need to do some maintenance and reinstall the stats database to fix some problems.

Unfortunately May's stats will be lost due to this reinstall (see here for the reasons why this is necessary).

#166 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 01 June 2014 - 00:51

Back up and running, I couldn't save May's stats, but here's few screen shots for posterity.

click for a lager image

If you registered on the site in May (or setup/joined a squadron), I'm afraid that's all lost as well, re-register here please.

Thanks to everyone one who tried the site in May Image

We're going to keep the 'Full Real + Icons' settings, although not everyone's favourite settings, the numbers have remained reasonable.

June see's our first 'Capture Field' mission on a map other than the lake, this first one is on the island, it still needs more targets adding but we need to prove the conversion works first. Many thanks to SC-Billy for all the work he put into this. Image

June also see's a change to our scoring system on the Stats pages, Landing your 'Kills' now carries a bigger bonus and Friendly Kills now carry a points penalty, be careful what you shoot at if you don't want a negative score.

As always, feedback welcome, lets us know if you spot any problems or have suggestions for our missions.

#167 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:40

Wow ,very nice changes. Thanks to all involved for the continued work.

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#168 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:24

Wow ,very nice changes. Thanks to all involved for the continued work.

+1

Already saw a player with a negative score:

#169 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:50

Yes there's quite a few on a negative score at the moment.

I guess it will take time for people to learn that it's just not worth taking the shot if there's any chance of hitting a friendly.

Note: Assists are worth the same as kills now, so if you've already done significant damage and a friendly jumps in front of you to 'steal' the kill, you should still get a fair share of the points, just don't shoot them in the process.

Rear gunners will also have to learn not to shoot the plane they're gunning from down.

Remember

1. Don't be guilty of friendly fire, it's a big penalty.

2. Land your sorties whenever you can, you only get half the score if you just fly until you die.

#170 J2_Jakob

J2_Jakob
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:03

1. Don't be guilty of friendly fire, it's a big penalty.
Great! This should exterminate crazy friendly fire altogether. Maybe it will even reduce the "All vs. one" kind of encounters. (Well, more likely it won't…)

2. Land your sorties whenever you can, you only get half the score if you just fly until you die.
Even better! This is what I try to do all the time. Does it have to be purrfect landing with no pieces broken, or is it enough to be "on the ground & still alive"?

#171 Gump

Gump

Posted 02 June 2014 - 16:02

a few concerns about "friendly fire" (team killing)….
i 'think' (not certain) that firing into one's own airfield is considered friendly fire (team killing) by the game. if this is so, it is a major problem because one must defend their own airfield and that involves firing into it. the whole CF objective would cause defenders to lose in stats.
the rear gunner might hit the tail, wing or fuse occasionally. this surely isn't good and the consequences are felt immediately by the gunner/pilot. many times an enemy will follow low-mid to place himself in a gunner's blind spot, which puts the gunner in a precarious position of either letting the enemy shoot without return fire, or risk hitting his own plane (a little). the stat penalty for this 'may' be appropriate but, if a gunner saves his life while sustaining a little self inflicted damage, that would be a logically reasonable tradeoff - do the stats show that? does getting killed as a gunner reflect worse than TK points?
ALSO, the firballs seem to be a prime spot to incur TK points. people are firing everywhere in every direction - FF is gonna happen UNintentionally all the time. is there a 'range' where bullets are considered tk?
… a consideration might be: "so, this should be offset by kills". but this DIMINISHES kill scores, so pilot that hardly ever engages could have a better score than the one who is constantly active (and maybe even mostly successful) in the firball. regard for the stats, in this case, might discourage a pilot from getting involved in it. a pilot without regard for stats (like me at present time) has no such concern and will engage more.
… whatever effect(s) is/are desired, TK stats may change the nature of the game a bit.
anyways, some things to consider.
oops, one more thing…. while piloting a 2 seater, i've noticed, a few times, my AI gunner firing at an enemy plane that also has a friendly near it. will he incur TK points for that? does the pilot suffer with TK points? i noticed this when i watched the gunner - i can't always do that and i can't just turn my gunner off all the time (obviously).

#172 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 02 June 2014 - 17:38

Even better! This is what I try to do all the time. Does it have to be purrfect landing with no pieces broken, or is it enough to be "on the ground & still alive"?
The landing needs to be counted in the logs as:

landed
landed (wounded)
landed (damaged)

I don't have access to core game code, only the logs it produces. I can only assign points based on what game assigned your sorties finishing state as.

So while your aircraft doesn't need to be in pristine condition (it can be shot up and the pilot can be heavily wounded), but the engine still needs to be running and capable of producing power.

On many occasions the game will assign a 'Crashed' status to your sorties finishing state despite the fact that you or I might not agree with it.

I've made it a decent bonus for 'landing' your sortie, because

a) You have to fly both to and from a fight (unlike those who get airborne with the sole intention of a one way trip).
b) The game doesn't always record every landing as a landing, some get listed as crashes (if you try to land your sorties, the ones that count as landed should make up for the ones that don't).

a few concerns about "friendly fire" (team killing)….
i 'think' (not certain) that firing into one's own airfield is considered friendly fire (team killing) by the game. if this is so, it is a major problem because one must defend their own airfield and that involves firing into it. the whole CF objective would cause defenders to lose in stats.
the rear gunner might hit the tail, wing or fuse occasionally. this surely isn't good and the consequences are felt immediately by the gunner/pilot. many times an enemy will follow low-mid to place himself in a gunner's blind spot, which puts the gunner in a precarious position of either letting the enemy shoot without return fire, or risk hitting his own plane (a little). the stat penalty for this 'may' be appropriate but, if a gunner saves his life while sustaining a little self inflicted damage, that would be a logically reasonable tradeoff - do the stats show that? does getting killed as a gunner reflect worse than TK points?
ALSO, the firballs seem to be a prime spot to incur TK points. people are firing everywhere in every direction - FF is gonna happen UNintentionally all the time. is there a 'range' where bullets are considered tk?
… a consideration might be: "so, this should be offset by kills". but this DIMINISHES kill scores, so pilot that hardly ever engages could have a better score than the one who is constantly active (and maybe even mostly successful) in the firball. regard for the stats, in this case, might discourage a pilot from getting involved in it. a pilot without regard for stats (like me at present time) has no such concern and will engage more.
… whatever effect(s) is/are desired, TK stats may change the nature of the game a bit.
anyways, some things to consider.
oops, one more thing…. while piloting a 2 seater, i've noticed, a few times, my AI gunner firing at an enemy plane that also has a friendly near it. will he incur TK points for that? does the pilot suffer with TK points? i noticed this when i watched the gunner - i can't always do that and i can't just turn my gunner off all the time (obviously).
Likewise Gump, I don't have access to core game code, only the logs it produces, I can only assign points based on what game records. There are five separate recorded categories for TKs; 'Friendly planes', 'Friendly pilots', 'Friendly gunners' 'Friendly Ground Units' & 'Friendly Buildings'. I have no way of knowing whether kills in any of these categories, was with malicious intent, careless gunnery, a gunner destroying his own pilots aircraft, or even a heavy bomber dropping 'landmines' behind it in the hope of getting a few kills.

Note: Merely putting a stray bullet in something is not sufficient to earn you a penalty, you have to be listed as the cause for its destruction, also note the majority of players manage to go a whole tour without any friendly kills or possibly just one or two accidents, for the majority these friendly kill penalties won't have much effect on them. It's the guys regularly killing 4-5% or more of their total kills against friendlies that will really get hit by this, hopefully they'll learn to think twice before pulling the trigger.

#173 Gump

Gump

Posted 02 June 2014 - 17:59

"a) You have to fly both to and from a fight (unlike those who get airborne with the sole intention of a one way trip)."

hold on there, son! (foghorn leghorn accent)…
what you SHOULD say is "EXPECTATION" not "intention" :lol:
flying with all these super good pilots, i have learned to EXPECT a one-way trip, though i INTEND to survive (and land). apparently my opponents have not received the memo! why is my chat ignored when i tell them to cease fire when i show up? :?
anyways, is there a way for the players to see if he is incurring TK points in-game? i don't think im ready to pay attention to stats, but id like to see what and when gets me a TK point.

#174 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 02 June 2014 - 18:20

I stand corrected, but I have no way of giving you a bonus for merely planning to RTB and land, you actually have to do it (conditions permitting of course).

anyways, is there a way for the players to see if he is incurring TK points in-game? i don't think im ready to pay attention to stats, but id like to see what and when gets me a TK point.

Not that I know of except checking Here.

#175 etzel

etzel

Posted 02 June 2014 - 18:41

Cool changes & updates again!
One thing I am interested in: Does the log also capture the info if you are landed at friendly base or at least in friendly area of the map or will this not make any difference…?

#176 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 02 June 2014 - 18:53

Nice work Sid!
:S!:

#177 Gump

Gump

Posted 02 June 2014 - 22:14

OK, i understand the TK thing a bit better now. it's not as sensitive as i thought. sounds like it should give reasonable results.
etzel's question is something i've wondered, too. does one gain anything by RTB'ing or does anywhere in friendly territory, or not in enemy airfields, count just the same? if RTB has no or little benefit, then landing out as quick as possible will be the way to go.

#178 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 03 June 2014 - 00:08

If you land your aircraft in enemy territory, you're classed as 'Captured' (this ends a kill streak the same dying).

If you land your aircraft in friendly territory, you're classed as 'Ditched' (kill streak continues).

If you land your aircraft at a friendly airfield, you're classed as 'Landed' (landing doubles your score for the sortie).

Note: 777s definition of 'Landed' means the aircraft still needs to be capable of flight (being out of fuel or having a badly damaged engine class you as 'crashed' instead).

#179 BRS

BRS

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:40

If you land your aircraft in friendly territory, you're classed as 'Ditched' (kill streak continues).

If you land your aircraft at a friendly airfield, you're classed as 'Landed' (landing doubles your score for the sortie).

So no double points if flying the sea planes? Landing with the Felixstowe at regular airfield might be pretty challenging. :)

#180 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:20

Seaplane bases for them are currently in the works. :)

#181 ST-Zeno

ST-Zeno

Posted 03 June 2014 - 14:23

cool!! :D :S!:

#182 etzel

etzel

Posted 03 June 2014 - 20:47

Great News, thanks for the prompt answer & clarification again ;)

#183 Gump

Gump

Posted 03 June 2014 - 23:35

i'd just like to say that i'm impressed with what sid's doing with this server!
continually impressive. :S!:
appreciate it, Sid.

#184 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:40

appreciate it, Sid.

+1

#185 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:14

appreciate it, Sid.

+1

+2 :S!:
"There will be honor enough for us all."

#186 Panna

Panna

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:40

+3 :S!:
Hi Sid, I have been having a lot of internet problems lately ( thanks to the kids I think ) which has caused a lot of in game disconnections, very frustrating, I noticed today I have 5 disco ratings and my fair play has dropped to 90%, is this related to my in game disconnections ??, I'm pretty sure I've had about a dozen disconnections so does it log this only if your damaged ?.
Great work on the server, looks great and runs very smoothly, when I'm connected haha.
Cheers.

#187 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:50

Yes both Discos and TK's will reduce your Fairplay Rating. The Fairplay Rating is important because your score for a sortie is multiplied by your current Fairplay Rating (i.e. if the Fairplay Rating is 90%, you only get 90% of the final score).

Fairplay Rating will build back up again to 100%, as long as you don't have any further Discos and TK's.

The actual logic for Fairplay Rating is built into Vaal's 'parser', which is beyond our control.

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=278&t=27296&p=433864&hilit=+disco#p433864
Also the 'disco' thing (besides the hideous name) maybe should be counted "disconnections while in flight and after being damaged". Just disconnecting while in flight is something I do fairly often when im bored after not finding a fight for 20+ min, flying at 2500+ meters I don't usually bother to land and just leave the server. Disconnecting after being damaged on the other hand, is a cheap way to fake your stats and should be counted as 'fair play lowering' (too bad the server can't tell the difference between disconnecting on purpose and losing connection… but that's another story)

And yes, I know: don't check the stats. Good idea.
If do not punish the player for the disconnect before damage - nothing will prevent him from using disconnect when he see the danger. When the enemies pursuing him, and catching up.

And losing connection can be easily imitated. Enough to disable the connection in Windows, not in the game. Or disable the network cable from the port. Therefore there is no point in trying to determine what kind of disconnect occurred.

#188 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:58

Seaplane bases, ports, and shipping released in our new version of 'Aces Falling - Capture Airfields - Island 3', I've just finished loading it on the server.

The shipping is difficult to sink, a job for the Feilx I think. ;)

As always, let us know if you notice any problems or bugs with this mission.

#189 HotWaxtWeasel

HotWaxtWeasel

Posted 06 June 2014 - 16:39

Thanks for the feedback guys. Image

i would love to see how this would play without icons. not sure if it would be more or less fun but it sure is a blast.
Thanks Gump, but I intend Aces Falling to remain an 'Iconed' server.

Yeah….after they shut of external view and icons for NW Wargrounds, it drove away quite a few fliers. So again you run the risk of alienating folks who enjoy those features.

Related to these servers changes:
Yesterday, I ripped the wings off my plane due to the fact I was diving beyond the speed my SE5a could handle. I think that I was quite spoiled with the easy gauges. Even though it meant my demise, I welcome the challenge because I can use it against my Target Fixed Enemy as well.

#190 Gump

Gump

Posted 06 June 2014 - 17:03

Thanks for the feedback guys. Image

i would love to see how this would play without icons. not sure if it would be more or less fun but it sure is a blast.
Thanks Gump, but I intend Aces Falling to remain an 'Iconed' server.

Yeah….after they shut of external view and icons for NW Wargrounds, it drove away quite a few fliers. So again you run the risk of alienating folks who enjoy those features.

Related to these servers changes:
Yesterday, I ripped the wings off my plane due to the fact I was diving beyond the speed my SE5a could handle. I think that I was quite spoiled with the easy gauges. Even though it meant my demise, I welcome the challenge because I can use it against my Target Fixed Enemy as well.

yeah, i can see why folks would like icons, especially learning. i think it's a real shortcoming of the software to limit the setting of such things like icons to the whole server, instead of missions, so the server is locked into one or the other for every mission. this forces people to change servers for a different experience in this regard, which isn't easy to do when activity is based on where people are (populated active servers). it's like 'mods on/off' - a server setting not a mission setting. oh well, that's the way it is, we learn to work with what we got.

#191 HotWaxtWeasel

HotWaxtWeasel

Posted 06 June 2014 - 19:08

Is it just me, or does CTF Verdun mission scream for some major overhaul to add lots of juicy ground targets as distractions?

#192 Gump

Gump

Posted 06 June 2014 - 19:31

do u think they would get any attention in a ctf mission? seems that the "mission" involves capturing or defending flags, regardless of ground activity.

#193 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 06 June 2014 - 23:59

Is it just me, or does CTF Verdun mission scream for some major overhaul to add lots of juicy ground targets as distractions?
Yes it does Clem, 'Verdun' is our next to do for conversion to a 'Capture Fields Map', but first we have a few more things to do with the 'Capture Fields Island Map' yet.

I hope you all enjoyed today's 'Capture Airfields - Island 3', it seemed to run well. Having flown it in anger now, I have a few minor tweaks to make, but nothing major. Next will be an earlier Planeset version to replace 'CTF Island 1'.

#194 ST-Zeno

ST-Zeno

Posted 07 June 2014 - 15:28

Yes it does Clem, 'Verdun' is our next to do for conversion to a 'Capture Fields Map', but first we have a few more things to do with the 'Capture Fields Island Map' yet.

I hope you all enjoyed today's 'Capture Airfields - Island 3', it seemed to run well. Having flown it in anger now, I have a few minor tweaks to make, but nothing major. Next will be an earlier Planeset version to replace 'CTF Island 1'.

love this map with felix!!! :))))))

#195 NewGuy_

NewGuy_

Posted 07 June 2014 - 19:24

I recently got back into ROF. While I am not big on icons on, I really appreciate the fact that you have missions featuring the DH2 and the N17. Frankyboy very generously gifted a Strutter to me. I am wondering, do you feature the Strutter, at all? Well, today I had a blast on your server. I was sim-flying the DH2 and it was a great deal of fun. Outside of the fantastic early war mission on the New Wings server, I simply don't get enough opportunities to sim fly the DH2 and that is quite a shame. Thank you again, for hosting and for featuring early war planes on your maps.

:S!: MJ

Something something SPAD. Something something then dive away. 

#196 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:41

^^ this.
Sid, those early missions are wonderful.
Maybe you could re-consider fuel lock :twisted:

Ok, ok, later…

#197 Wels

Wels

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:10

Hello,
first thanks again for this sever, it really is fun.

Then i really like the early planes scenarios, much fun just to get those crates up and turning :D. The Halberstadt D.II is not bad at all compared to other early birds !
If we only had early two-seaters, like Aviatik B.II or the BE.2 s …

Icons - well. I guess i meanwhile recognize the silhouettes of enemy planes - if it's not the 'all planes for both sides' scenario ;) , so i don't really need them. And it spoils a bit because you know where the mêlee is hhappening, and how to find or avoid others in time.
But i like it overall, different scenarios, different settings and early birds. Great !

Thanks again,
Catfish/Krazy Kat

#198 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:15

One BIG advantage of icons is you can see who flies those crates around you which helps socializing immensely.

#199 etzel

etzel

Posted 08 June 2014 - 13:56

One ask regarding Mission Rotation: As it seems at the moment all CF lakes are set quite close after each other and then there is a huge break with 7 other maps in between => I think it would be nice if the CF lakes are more spraded over the whole cycle.

2nd: The CF Island 3 is great now! Well, I am still not the biggest fan of the island map as well as of Knight vs Corsairs settings, but this CF-Version with non-airstarts is a lot of fun. The ships are really hard to finish… :)

So thx a lot for this continious improvments!!

#200 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:23

Thanks Guys Image

I am wondering, do you feature the Strutter, at all?

Yes it's currently on 'Aces Falling CF Lake 1' and 'Aces Falling CF Lake 2', I'll see if I can squeeze it in on a few more of the missions.

One BIG advantage of icons is you can see who flies those crates around you which helps socializing immensely.

I agree entirely Image

One ask regarding Mission Rotation: As it seems at the moment all CF lakes are set quite close after each other and then there is a huge break with 7 other maps in between => I think it would be nice if the CF lakes are more spraded over the whole cycle.

Thanks etzel, yes I agree. I'll change the rotation around in the morning. How does this look?

(* denotes a Knights Vs. Corsairs Map, Same aircraft for both sides)

Aces Falling CF Lake 1
*Aces Falling TDM Island 1
Aces Falling CTF Verdun
Aces Falling TDM Verdun 3
Aces Falling CF Lake 3
*Aces Falling TDM Lake 1
Aces Falling CTF Island 1
Aces Falling TDM Verdun 2
Aces Falling CF Lake 2
Aces Falling TDM Verdun 1
*Aces Falling CF Island 3
Aces Falling TDM Hills

I've updated page one of the Aces Falling server - aircraft match-ups thread to reflect this, and updated the Planeset information to that of the current missions.

I've also just finished updating all the missions with the German mission description (briefing) you very kindly translated for me, I've also tried to update all the pop text that appears in each of the missions to be in the correct language. If anyone spots any errors please let me know what I need to correct.

I'm also still hoping someone might be able to help translate the mission description (briefing) into French, Russian or Spanish (I only have English and German so far), details of what I need Here.

Edit, New rotation now up and running, I've also reduced the TDM mission time to 1hr30mins (with the new CF missions taking longer than the old CTF missions, the same mission was appearing at roughly the same time each day).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users