* * * * * 4 votes

Aces Falling server

• Please log in to reply
556 replies to this topic

#41 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 04 May 2014 - 21:42

Looks interesting AH,

however, did you ever consider making it x 1.5 server ? withought the icons and all the "easy fly mods" etc. ? I think it could significantly rise the skill level on such a server in the long run.

S!
Thanks 1PL Image

There's already several good quality 'Expert' servers in ROF, so no this is about giving those that prefer 'Icons on' more choice.

#42 etzel

etzel

Posted 04 May 2014 - 22:22

well, what somehow is missing now is a fast Food Substitute ;-)

But I know there were not too often many players online….

Anyhow, thanx to you, the AH and CS-Squad for the efforts! S!

#43 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 04 May 2014 - 22:31

The icons are also necessary for the missions with the same set of planes. Since FC is out for a while now, maybe this is going to be "the server" for flying with icons.
"There will be honor enough for us all."

#44 1PL-Sahaj-1Esk

1PL-Sahaj-1Esk

Posted 04 May 2014 - 22:33

Looks interesting AH,

however, did you ever consider making it x 1.5 server ? withought the icons and all the "easy fly mods" etc. ? I think it could significantly rise the skill level on such a server in the long run.

S!
Thanks 1PL Image

There's already several good quality 'Expert' servers in ROF, so no this is about giving those that prefer 'Icons on' more choice.

Actually, there is non in that category -> poor dogfight, thats why I am asking. Now FC has icons, Fast Food is down so yours could try x 1.5 but of course it is your concept and your ideas.

Anyway, good move !

kpt. pil. / Capt. Sahaj / Operations Officer / 1. Eskadra Mysliwska / 1. Pulk Lotniczy / http://www.1pl.boo.pl

bannerf11esks.png?raw=1

http://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com

#45 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 04 May 2014 - 22:48

This doesn't affect the way the leaderboard or stats work on our website, these 'points' only counted toward 777 leaderboard anyway, but would we end up with an empty sever?

It's all open for discussion, I'm happy to tailor the server for majority of those that fly on it.

A dogfight server with icons but no automatic engine management seems like the best of both worlds to me. As long as 777 leaderboards are not working for me, 0xscore is not a problem.

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#46 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:24

Ok, I found a quiet movement on the server to re-set things;

for now the server is still running with exactly the same setting as the 'standard' preset, but it is now running in 'Custom'.

This means no points will be displayed on the in-game scoreboard (kills will still be counted).

Your score and kills will still be recorded on our website http://aces-falling.co.uk/

If you see anyone complaining the scoreboard doesn't work, please explain to them that they can still check their score on the website.

This is the first step to possibly running with more difficult settings than Flying Circus, we'll see how it goes.

I've also disabled 'Return friendly fire', again we'll see how this goes.

#47 LordNeuro_Srb

LordNeuro_Srb
  • LocationNovi Sad/Serbia

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:00

I have a little sugestion and it is more with my one taste but i dont know if others share the same thote, but maybe u could trun off the simple guegas, u all redy have auto mixture, and radiator, and those could be turned off, but simple guegas u could not turn off. I mean u cann but then u dont have any indicator. And i still lake to have compas and radiator and trotle to check. And when u have simple guegas they cover hole scren. Just a thote and suggestion.
S!

#48 J2_Jakob

J2_Jakob
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:17

I spent some time during the weekend on Aces Falling server and I was really enjoying it! :S!:

Setup I would like:
1) icons on. There's plenty of servers without icons, that's okay.
2) gauges - minimal. Even if you don't buy any mods, everything you need to see is there. (Well, except for an occasional engine state check - "Did he really hit my engine? Oh, damn, he did. I better turn around and land…")
3) auto-mixture/rad off. High percentage of pilots visiting AF server already knows how to manage their engine. For the rest ( < 10% ?), well, I bet when they ask, they get answer swiftly. I believe most of the people turns this off as soon as they spawn, every single time. Am I right? I don't bother to turn it off only when flying Albatros DII. :lol:

#49 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:25

I am also for icons + manual rad/mixture management.

#50 BRS

BRS

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:03

I am also for icons + manual rad/mixture management.

Hello everyone. Same here. The only thing I would like to ask is whether there is any chance to add Airco D.H.4 somewhere? Thanks, P.

#51 Jeast

Jeast

Posted 05 May 2014 - 13:31

Is it possible to temporarily ban someone?

Wouldn't it be cool if there could be an event hosted once in a while where you will be banned for the night when you are killed? So more or less some kind of permadeath.
No more mass dogfight clusters but careful actions and probably a lot of BnZ.

J

#52 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 05 May 2014 - 22:47

Wouldn't it be cool if there could be an event hosted once in a while where you will be banned for the night when you are killed? So more or less some kind of permadeath.

J

I believe it's called Dead Is Dead or DID. Wouldn't take much to empty the server would it?

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#53 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 06 May 2014 - 00:30

J

I believe it's called Dead Is Dead or DID. Wouldn't take much to empty the server would it?

There is a server side setting that will allow me to ground you for a set amount of time after you die (get captured), or ground you for the rest of the mission.

Given that Aces Falling is a 'Fast Action server', as the Chief suggests this would empty our server fairly quickly, I think these setting are best left for the special event servers.

#54 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 06 May 2014 - 00:52

Looks interesting AH,

S!
Thanks 1PL Image

Actually, there is non in that category -> poor dogfight, thats why I am asking. Now FC has icons, Fast Food is down so yours could try x 1.5 but of course it is your concept and your ideas.

Anyway, good move !
well, what somehow is missing now is a fast Food Substitute ;-)

But I know there were not too often many players online….

I think the 'Escadrille Royaume de Prusse' squadron run a dedicated server called 'ER* Dogfight Full Real' with x 1.5 settings, maybe they might be interested in filling the Fast Food gap?

#55 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:14

I spent some time during the weekend on Aces Falling server and I was really enjoying it! :S!:

Setup I would like:
1) icons on. There's plenty of servers without icons, that's okay.
2) gauges - minimal. Even if you don't buy any mods, everything you need to see is there. (Well, except for an occasional engine state check - "Did he really hit my engine? Oh, damn, he did. I better turn around and land…")
3) auto-mixture/rad off. High percentage of pilots visiting AF server already knows how to manage their engine. For the rest ( < 10% ?), well, I bet when they ask, they get answer swiftly. I believe most of the people turns this off as soon as they spawn, every single time. Am I right? I don't bother to turn it off only when flying Albatros DII. :lol:

Thanks for this and the other comments about the settings, yes I think this is what we are working towards at the moment. I've got some things to do this week and a few items to check over the weekend, but hopefully next week we'll give this a go.

#56 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:40

It's been less than 24 hours since I made this change and already quite a few of those in the top ten have 3,4,5 Friendly Kills to their name!

Take it easy guys, I would hate to have to start banning people for this. :o

#57 ST-Zeno

ST-Zeno

Posted 06 May 2014 - 13:11

It's been less than 24 hours since I made this change and already quite a few of those in the top ten have 3,4,5 Friendly Kills to their name!

sid its not always friendly fire that kills teammates most are rams. So if a friendly flys in youre plane it can count as friendly kill against you.( remeber 777 stats issues) Mine were counted before stopping friendly fire option and were all rams in turn fights when focused the tail
of the enemy fighter. Other can occure as gunner of a bomber or twoseater when shooting own tail of the plane in the heat of the fight or when gunner is wounded and can not see to much. So there are different ways to get an easy Ffriendly kill! :S!: :)

#58 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 06 May 2014 - 18:57

sid its not always friendly fire that kills teammates most are rams. So if a friendly flys in youre plane it can count as friendly kill against you.
That's not been my experience Zeno.

To be awarded a 'Friendly Kill' in the stats, you have to put a bullet into them before their aircraft is listed as disabled, if they manage to land and finish flight the 'Friendly Kill' won't count (you would still be guilty of friendly fire though).

If two friendlies collide, a 'Friendly Kill' would only be counted if one of them had put a bullet in the other first, certainly if a friendly flies in to your aircraft it will not count as a 'Friendly Kill' against you.

I accept the odd 'Friendly Kill' is almost inevitable on a 'Fast Action Server', occasionally you've already fired when a unseen friendly dives down through your bullet stream (you were possibly unseen by them as well) for example, but note, many players go a whole tour without a single 'Friendly kill'.

If we have to put numbers on it, I would define 1 'Friendly kill' in 100 'Air Kills' or 1% to be acceptable, even stretching that to 2% or 3% to provide a margin of error, but we already have some on 6% or 7% and these guys are all experienced players. That to me just indicates a person so wrapped up in his own score, he doesn't give a **** for his fellow players.

I'm being lenient at the moment, the server's still new and I'm still playing around with the settings, but the time will come when I will ban anyone with high 'Friendly Kill' stats for the benefit of the majority of the other players who don't seem to have a problem controlling friendly fire. I suggest now is a good time for these guys to start practicing a little discipline and care with their shots, it's not just about climbing to the top of the leaderboard quickest!

#59 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 06 May 2014 - 19:38

When aproximatelly (if ever) do you plan to implement the new (say 'AH-style') ranking system?
It looked quite interesting to me.

#60 etzel

etzel

Posted 06 May 2014 - 20:56

Ok, I found a quiet movement on the server to re-set things;

for now the server is still running with exactly the same setting as the 'standard' preset, but it is now running in 'Custom'.

This means no points will be displayed on the in-game scoreboard (kills will still be counted).

Your score and kills will still be recorded on our website http://aces-falling.co.uk/

One question: Are the server stats also considering assists? In the in game stats this is the case, as you also get points without kills counted for you.
And I think that's important, since it reduces the relevance of the kill itself and consequently supporting teamwork…

#61 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 06 May 2014 - 23:06

When aproximatelly (if ever) do you plan to implement the new (say 'AH-style') ranking system?
It looked quite interesting to me.
No time scale on this I'm afraid, first we need to become familiar with =FB=Vaal's Python scripts and how to edit them without breaking anything.

One question: Are the server stats also considering assists?
Yes, you have 9 at the moment. Image

#62 The_Locksmith

The_Locksmith

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:52

to many missions with DR1s I feel. We need more missions with less uber planes. I know a lot of people might not agree with me, but it takes out a lot of fun constantly getting shot from behind from those damn DR1s. I know i suck at the game but i still feel theres more fun to be had with other planes. If its not the Dr1, its the D.ViiF. Once there is a mission when one side only has the fokker, Most people go to that team and stay there, and it becomes very unbalanced. I understand this server is about quick, awesome fun - and that is why the DR1 and the Camel are there. but like i was saying above, i still feel a lot of fun could still be had, with other planes.

TL;DR - just me bitching, haha

#63 ST-Zeno

ST-Zeno

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:49

to many missions with DR1s I feel. We need more missions with less uber planes. I know a lot of people might not agree with me, but it takes out a lot of fun constantly getting shot from behind from those damn DR1s. I know i suck at the game but i still feel theres more fun to be had with other planes. If its not the Dr1, its the D.ViiF. Once there is a mission when one side only has the fokker, Most people go to that team and stay there, and it becomes very unbalanced. I understand this server is about quick, awesome fun - and that is why the DR1 and the Camel are there. but like i was saying above, i still feel a lot of fun could still be had, with other planes.

i think problem is not the Plane. ithink problem is the fuel load. They fly their DR1 with a fuelload of 10-20% so it is much more agile than other planes.Solution: fix setting of the fuel load. Flying a DR1 with 60 or 100 % is more dificult. 8-)

#64 J2_Jakob

J2_Jakob
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:09

Regarding statistics - what is Fairplay number? How is it calculated?

#65 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:31

I realise I won't be able to please everyone with the server, there 's always the option to fly elsewhere if you don't like the current map/plane set.

We currently have 7 of the 12 missions featuring the Dr.I/Camel, I know what you're saying Locksmith, I might reduce it to 6, but the Dr.I/Camel is a very popular combination.

i think problem is not the Plane. ithink problem is the fuel load. They fly their DR1 with a fuelload of 10-20% so it is much more agile than other planes.Solution: fix setting of the fuel load. Flying a DR1 with 60 or 100 % is more dificult. 8-)
Although I won't rule it out, I have no plans to introduce Fuel Locks, I think this is best left for server like Syndicate and Wargrounds.

Regarding statistics - what is Fairplay number? How is it calculated?
It's meant to be measure of 'Fairplay', basically it reduces from 100% if you 'Exit the game in flight'/'Pull the plug'/'Disco' or if you inflict 'Friendly Kills'. But the reduction only last a few sorties after the event, so I'm not sure it works particularly well.

For today's settings, I've disable:

Ai Autopilot (Level Autopilot is still available, 'LShf+A' by default)
Simple gauges (This still leaves the Compass and Engine management ones)
Padlock

We'll see how it goes.

#66 The_Locksmith

The_Locksmith

Posted 07 May 2014 - 15:51

@Sid you are the boss so whatever goes, goes. and ill stick around. I understand if i dont like i can play else where, but no other server is as much fun to me as Aces Falling. I greatly enjoy the quick fun action this server provides, and look forward to it. The DR1/Camel, like you said, is very popular, and you just want what is best your server (populated server, friendly community, ect).
BUT if you do ever change your mind to reduce DR1/Camel plane sets just a weee bit more, Ill be right there to support ya! =D . Thanks for your responses!

#67 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 07 May 2014 - 19:22

The Locksmith, fly a fast Plane like the Se5a,the Spad or even the FokkerD7F and learn how to Boom and Zoom. You can annoy the hell out of those low-fuel-Mudmovers ,especially when you have a Wingman. It's discouraging to fly against the usual Combo of Planes,I know that by first hand experience. But eventually you get proficient enough to put up a hell of a fight even in less performing Planes. Just don't try to play THEIR game of endless Circle jerking at Treetop level,thats why they usually win.

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#68 ST-Zeno

ST-Zeno

Posted 07 May 2014 - 20:11

it is like i said. i often was hit by friendly fire and get damaged so i was forced to land. Didnt know who shoots at me because its to crowdy and fast in turnfights. Players are always looking for fast and easy kill,dosnt matter if you are on a plane, shoulder shooting practice is going on but without penalty for friendly fire.

#69 etzel

etzel

Posted 07 May 2014 - 20:24

One question: Are the server stats also considering assists?
Yes, you have 9 at the moment. Image

Funny, I checked the stats before I postet that question and I simply didn't see it…
=> For sure you now just quickly added that info, correct??!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
No, kidding, I should check more carefull those things before bothering you… ;-)

Thx a lot!!

Btw. Regarding that "too many DrI-Missions"-discussion one kind request by me:
Even if I absolutly understand why many people don't like it, I am one of these guys who still likes to fly that Ufo, esp. in the combination against the camel.
So if you think of deleting one of the DrI maps please do not take tdm hills or verdun (because these are the only tdm-maps with camel and drI in combination with central vs. entente) but take one of the Knights vs. corsairs maps instead…

:S!:

#70 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 07 May 2014 - 21:29

I guess some people can't take the hint.

J2_Robert Rate banned for a week for team killing.

18 Friendly planes shotdown against a total of a 127 Air Kills, or to put it another way 14% of your kills are against your own side..

This is unacceptable on the Aces Falling server! :(

#71 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 07 May 2014 - 21:50

:S!:

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#72 1PL-Sahaj-1Esk

1PL-Sahaj-1Esk

Posted 07 May 2014 - 21:55

I think the 'Escadrille Royaume de Prusse' squadron run a dedicated server called 'ER* Dogfight Full Real' with x 1.5 settings, maybe they might be interested in filling the Fast Food gap?

Yes, I can recall that but unfortunately it was a total flop, wrong moment. You have just picked the right moment and went live when FC was down without stats and I believe your server will run good even when you want to experiment with stats a little bit.

Before the renaming and before the parser was created and implemented by Vaal : Flying Circus was called The Newbie Server (with the same settings as FC now) and Fast Food as the poor dogfight server was heavily populated. I think it was quite good devided back then, more experienced players flew on FF and the newcomers or beginners joined The Newbie Server. After a long period of time when Fast Food was plagued by massive connection problems , drop outs and when it was temporarily down the whole crowd moved entirely to the newly created "renamed" server : Newbie Server -> Flying Circus. Thats briefly the story for those who joined later.

S!

kpt. pil. / Capt. Sahaj / Operations Officer / 1. Eskadra Mysliwska / 1. Pulk Lotniczy / http://www.1pl.boo.pl

bannerf11esks.png?raw=1

http://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com

#73 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 07 May 2014 - 22:48

Cool, thanks for the explanation Sahaj.

#74 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 09 May 2014 - 15:27

Just to let you know our server is still up and running but 777s Master Server seems to be down. :shock:

#75 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 09 May 2014 - 16:20

It's just come back online, thanks for the prompt action. Image

#76 ACE-OF-ACES

ACE-OF-ACES

Posted 09 May 2014 - 22:17

On the other side it makes it easier for the Killstealers that just cut right infront of your Gunsight to snatch your hard earned victory. Whats worse,you get the Friendly Fire penalty and they can get away unharmed. I rather have the possibility to shot those so called Teammates down when they are rude and stupid enough to cut into my sights….and I did that in the past without regret.
This argument has never really made much since to me.. For several reasons

1) It assumes that your team mate realizes he is in front of you and that he cut you off on purpose. Sure there are some tards online that are doing this on purpose, but for the most part Ill bet that 99 out of 100 of those situations the guy in front of you does not even realize you are behind him, let alone that he cut you off on purpose.

2) From a realism point of view.. I know I know, it is silly to 'expect' any semblance realistic tactics to be used in a high score motivated server.. But deep down I think most people are 'trying' to fly realistically as if their life depends on it.. Oh sure there are the tards like RamrJamr (aka InAgoDaVeda, Billy Kid, etc) that will ram you on purpose, but thankfully those types are in the minority. But I digress, the point here is, from a realism point as soon as you see one of your TEAM MATES in a better position than you, YOU should break off the attack and position yourself to SUPPORT your team mate. And yes, the guy between YOU and the ENEMY is typically the guy who is in a better position!

Hehe, I'd almost say turn off the whole scoring,so only the people come in for funs sake rather than for getting on top of a Virtual Scoreboard at any cost but I can see the point of the Scoring as its some kind of motivation for the majority.
Strange.. here you sound like you don't care about your 'score', yet your initial post above is very 'score' motivated.. That is to say, this statement of yours about turning the scoring system off sounds like you don't give a rip about your score, thus one would assume that when your team mate is between you and the enmy you would break off and let him have the kill.. Yet you also talk about how you wish you could shoot your team mates for doing so.. You seem to want it both ways?

Personally I could care less about my score, and I think it would be a good idea to turn it off! Because I think it would cause people to focus on fun and realistic tactics than the score. But sadly, I am in the minority! Most servers today are very score motivated! Thus I just try and make the best of it, do what I want to do and what is fun to me and could care less about the score.

#77 Jaeger55

Jaeger55

Posted 09 May 2014 - 23:32

When I fly on your server, sometimes after I get in a furball the speed seems to goto X2 and stay there. Anyone else get this?

#78 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 10 May 2014 - 00:13

When I fly on your server, sometimes after I get in a furball the speed seems to goto X2 and stay there. Anyone else get this?

Not from my part, and this in all the servers. Only briefly I get some isolated warping during peak hours in South America, in between 8PM/10PM GMT. What you are experiencing is probably warping due to lag of your connection. The overload of data gets delayed, cumulates and then springs at once, speeding things up and making planes disappear or zoom away like an UFO.

Have you tried checking your connection to some of the UK servers (where AF is located) to see how it fares? You can check over here: http://www.speedtest.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.speedtest.net/.

You can also update your band, since many times you pay $ 5/10 dollars more for double the band. I paid $ 10 more from 10GB to 30GB and the playability in ROF servers increased immensely. Maybe your provider has some good deals too.

If your connection is already good, or it is supposed to be good, you can change your provider or call support and ask why you experience that in gaming. Upload speed is also important.

But I might be wrong.

#79 Jaeger55

Jaeger55

Posted 10 May 2014 - 00:39

no its not warping, My plane is moving as if I hit the fast forward button.

#80 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:24

no its not warping, My plane is moving as if I hit the fast forward button.

If it is in an online server, it is a kind of warp. There is no way how the server can predict the future :D so what you experience is a delay of data that for some cluster gets sprung back, giving the notion of fast forward motion. I would say it is an erratic internet band, usually at its brink or having serious bottleneck.

From my experience, since I am down under too, not in Australia, the ping has little effect in game play. It is the quality and the volume of the band instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users