* * * * * 4 votes

Aces Falling server

• Please log in to reply
556 replies to this topic

#521 Flying_Bear

Flying_Bear
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Posted 04 April 2016 - 17:05

What will happen with the server's website?

If a bear can be in the artillery, why not in the airforce too?

#522 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:54

A sad day. Thanks for a great job.

Chief

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#523 Clem_Crashmore

Clem_Crashmore

Posted 05 April 2016 - 18:57

Thanks guys, Pilot_salute1.gif

I left the server running as long as I could, but the annual subscription is now due, so time for me to pull the plug on it.

Take care guys; glad you enjoyed the server while it lasted.

Sid.

Damned shame.  AF was my favorite fast action flight sim server of all time.  So they charge you, an enthusiast, for the privilege of running a multiplayer server that helps to stimulate interest in their product?!?!  Now there is a business model that makes sense, eh?  It's not like this is a franchise and you were making any money at it.  I wonder what genius came up with that?!  I hear a death knell in this sloughing off of key flight sim fans as they drop out of sight.

Thanks for your efforts Sid.  I once ran a bulletin board system years ago, and like this, it can be a thankless role to play in satisfying all the noisy little complaints.

I had fun.  Went away for a spell as I got lost in some new computer games......came back for a fly or two and was horrified to see Aces Falling gone.  Now what?

Clem

aka

HotWaxtWeasel

#524 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 05 April 2016 - 20:18

Damned shame.  AF was my favorite fast action flight sim server of all time.  So they charge you, an enthusiast, for the privilege of running a multiplayer server that helps to stimulate interest in their product?!?!  Now there is a business model that makes sense, eh?  It's not like this is a franchise and you were making any money at it.  I wonder what genius came up with that?!  I hear a death knell in this sloughing off of key flight sim fans as they drop out of sight.

Clem I think you got the wrong impression, 777 does not charge a thing for running a server, it is the "server rental service" that charges a monthly fee.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#525 J5_Spyboy

J5_Spyboy

Posted 15 April 2016 - 19:40

The server was based in UK at London Data Centre, costing £1300/year. Nothing to do with 777, everything to do with AH Sid and his generosity in continuing to run it when he didn't play on it!

For that a BIG Thank You to Sid.

:icon_e_salute:  :icon_e_salute:  :icon_e_salute: :icon_e_salute:  :icon_e_salute:  :icon_e_salute:

:D

#526 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem
  • LocationR E S I G N E D 13/6/2018 veryuseful.info/rof

Posted 15 April 2016 - 22:18

The server was based in UK at London Data Centre, costing £1300/year.

Let's just say that it could have been hosted for a fraction of that cost, not least because the machine was over specified as far as memory is concerned.

#527 FromHell

FromHell

Posted 16 April 2016 - 16:11

thx Sid!

#528 ER_CUX

ER_CUX
  • LocationCuxhaven

Posted 22 April 2016 - 15:06

:icon_boring: thx Sid -The ER* Staffel has much fun on your AH Server :icon_mad:  -You habe make a great job and thx for all :icon_e_salute: :icon_e_salute:

o.png

#529 =VS=_emely

=VS=_emely
  • LocationUSSR

Posted 10 May 2016 - 20:09

Hi Sid,

Can't we donate to keep this server going?

I'm a little late to regret - not flown for a long time...
Good idea, but I can see - it was not supported. It's a pity . Aces has been optimally tuned for dog fighting server. Flying Circus is not exactly, if not entirely wrong.
Thanks Sid for his excellent work and for having a good time, which managed to hold on Aces! And thanks to the pilots, which it was able to fly together. S!

#530 =VS=_emely

=VS=_emely
  • LocationUSSR

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:06

Still, I miss your server ... There are others, but why is there as it is not even wrong. In this video all the pictures with the shooting with the Aces. Battles certainly different, this is not a documentary. Sorry, but the music for a different audience, for a long time I made this video =) However, the pilots were only vargraunde yesterday, all dogfayt stood empty. And from a certain nostalgia, it is certainly I decided to publish it here.

#531 etzel

etzel

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:38

Cool Video Emely, I miss AF like you do... :-/

Hope that Either the J99 Dogfight-Server-2 or NW Fast and Furious will fill up that gap for sime quick and fun action (but on a somehow little more quality Level) in the mid term....

(NFF is also nice for sure, but to be honest not completely my taste with that server-settings, the heavy AI Action (which is regularly lagging for me) and that sub-title Overkill....)

:icon_e_salute:

#532 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 17 May 2016 - 14:46

(NFF is also nice for sure, but to be honest not completely my taste with that server-settings, the heavy AI Action (which is regularly lagging for me) and that sub-title Overkill....)

Yeah, I agree with you on that one. I get lots of lag there too and, to be honest, there's not much variety there. Same sorts of maps with all planes available. That is great for newer pilots trying to feel out the new plane they just bought, but perhaps not so great for the pilots who have flown the same mission over and over again. Honestly, I don't think NFF was created to be a AF replacement. NFF is a relaxed atmosphere where New Fliers (some Old Fliers too :P) and Friends can hang out and have a great time. Nonetheless, that just doesn't scratch the dogfighting itch AF left many of us with.

On a brighter note, I tried Hillbilly's Ma and Pa's basement server. When it's up, that thing is a blast! :) Different maps, farther distances between opposing airfields, reduced planesets, and less lag! Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be frequented all that often. If I could know times when it is more active I'd be sure to try and show up.

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

xAKPpvf.jpg

#533 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 17 May 2016 - 18:28

Cool Video Emely, I miss AF like you do... :-/

Hope that Either the J99 Dogfight-Server-2 or NW Fast and Furious will fill up that gap for sime quick and fun action (but on a somehow little more quality Level) in the mid term....

Unfortunately, I've not heard back from =AH=_Sid in more than a month. 

I'd be happy to host those missions on NW-FnF, but I don't have them. I'm hoping he has a backup of them that he'd be willing to share, so we could make them available once again to the RoF community, but the ball is in his court on that point.

Regards,

4 :icon_e_salute:

#534 etzel

etzel

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:31

I'd be happy to host those missions on NW-FnF, but I don't have them. I'm hoping he has a backup of them that he'd be willing to share, so we could make them available once again to the RoF community, but the ball is in his court on that point.

Regards,

Thanks for the update...

Hope that Sid still remebers RoF and will someday come back and check at least the forum entries...

@Sid: We miss you!!! :icon_e_wink:

#535 ZachariasX

ZachariasX

Posted 21 May 2016 - 19:07

Regards,

That would be awesome having these missions back... !!

Z

#536 xVOoDOo

xVOoDOo

Posted 24 May 2016 - 17:35

Any info on a good server host ? .....i am thinking of running a server for ROF that would be close Aces Falling but incorporating some of the CTF maps like the Flying Circus had.

#537 Philemmett

Philemmett

Posted 27 May 2016 - 02:31

=AH=_Sid,

You've left a legacy that's enviable.  The messages I've read about your wonderful Server sound more like a 'Good bye' than a 'Thank You' for a job well done. 

I'm sure no-one can reproduce the quality and fun that you've provided all this time.  There'll be a big 'hole' in the MP Server list until, or if, you return. 

I'm fortunate enough to participate with the =NFF= Servers Team.  As you've experienced, it's wonderful to have a great group of folks flying and enjoying our Servers each night. 

But, your followers have been so complimentary of your Maps and Settings, it's unlikely anyone can follow adequately in your foot-steps. 

I don't think it would be wise to even attempt that. 

However, if there's any chance that you would consider sharing some of your expertise i.e. maps or settings, it would be wonderful.  I think many of the MP audience would be sincerely grateful to see any of your Maps made available again.

=NFF= has had two Servers running for over three years now.  Though our Maps have been very well attended and applauded, any additions would be greatly appreciated by the folks who fly there. 

Obviously, we could not think of infringing on your reputation and success with AF.   I don't believe that could be done.

If there's a way to share what you've created and keep some of your original ideas continuing, we'd appreciate you considering =New Fliers and Friends= as the way to do that.

We'd sincerely appreciate your consideration.  

Thank you Sir.

Philemmett

(Phil =NFF=Patriarch)

(PS - Please send me a PM if this has caught you interest in any way.  I'll await your reply).

#538 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 03 August 2016 - 16:48

Regards,

Hi Guys,

Quick Update:  I received a note back from Sid regarding the missions from his server.  Unfortunately, he doesn't have a backup copy of those missions available any more.

So, unless someone still has them on their PC (most probably in the data --> Multiplayer --> Dogfight folder), I'm afraid those missions may be lost for good.  If someone does still have them, and can put them into a zip file, we can still look at possibly hosting them on our FnF Server, otherwise, it looks like a done deal to me... 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Regards,

#539 Immortal_PP

Immortal_PP
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 03 August 2016 - 17:24

I still have them in my folder!

Where do you want the zip file to be sent?

#540 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 03 August 2016 - 19:53

I still have them in my folder!

Where do you want the zip file to be sent?

Great!  It should be small enough to just PM it to me here... If that doesn't work, I can PM you an email address you can send it to.

Regards,

#541 ewam25

ewam25

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:28

Hi

in attachment please find the aces missions.

Regards

Attached Files

• Attached File  acs.zip   559.96KB   1 downloads

#542 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:01

Here is what I have found - packed to a .zip file:

Attached Files

#543 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 04 August 2016 - 16:53

Super!

I'll see what I can do with these over the next few days -- Thanks for finding them and sharing them.

Regards,

#544 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 August 2016 - 17:17

Yay!!! I'd love to see these again!

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

xAKPpvf.jpg

#545 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 04 August 2016 - 18:23

Yay!!! I'd love to see these again!

Is it the missions that everyone likes or the fact that "Stats" were keep?

#546 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT
  • LocationDeroche,Britsh Columbia,Canada

Posted 04 August 2016 - 21:33

Think its the missions and just plane old dog fighting, what would be the point of the stats when you don't live long enough to keep any. And it's great practice for for all. just good fun, I know your server is a good one, no lag witch is a big plus. So hope you can also add some cool maps HillBilly. 

#547 ZachariasX

ZachariasX

Posted 06 August 2016 - 11:46

It was the best for good old fast food. And it worked well, little to no lag. FC has issues like pan view in cockpit getting disabled. Good old dogfighting. CTF missions that people (and myself) dislike are removed.

It was the best fragfest for those of us who can spare maybe 30 minutes of time per day. A player demography that "for the sake of realism" is often enough conveniently overlooked. Stats were a plus I'm sure as it was only about fragging on AF. But mainly, it had simply no viable alternative. If you have no competition, you have attendance.

Z

#548 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:47

My time in RoF has decreased dramaticly since AF has shut down. It was the mix of fast action,mission types and plane selection that I liked about it. Perfomance was very good for me, even though I had not the best internet conection.

I didn't go playing there for the "Stats".

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#549 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 06 August 2016 - 15:13

If you all want, I can run the AF missions,(unchanged) with Sid's permission of course. :icon_e_salute:  

#550 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:24

If you all want, I can run the AF missions,(unchanged) with Sid's permission of course. :icon_e_salute:  

you have my vote Billy!

#551 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:09

you have my vote Billy!

Mine too...

#552 ST_Malesan

ST_Malesan
  • LocationNorthwest England

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:17

And mine...

#553 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:04

Okay I've put 3 of AF maps in rotation,(unchanged) let me know if the ones you like. :icon_e_salute:

#554 Immortal_PP

Immortal_PP
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:04

I'll be there!

Just check with FourSpeed so you do not perhaps duplicate each other.

#555 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:07

Just check with FourSpeed so you do not perhaps duplicate each other.

Maybe he should check with me.

#556 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 16 August 2016 - 18:39

Hi Guys,

Just a quick head's up to let you know that New Wings is now hosting the 12 missions that used to run on Aces Falling on our Fast and Furious server.

You can find the details in this post.

Regards,

#557 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 17 August 2016 - 14:55

No one has to check with anyone. Just fly the server you enjoy and have fun.

Chief

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users