Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Aces Falling server

• Please log in to reply
556 replies to this topic

#1 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:01

We're pleased to announce the arrival of a new dedicated 24/7 server for Rise of Flight – ACES FALLING.

The intention of this server is to provide those who like flying with 'Icons On' an alternative fast-action server to fly on. Everyone is welcome, Beginners and Veterans alike.

For those interested in Tech Specs, the server is hosted in central London and runs on a system comprising:

E3-1230 Quad Core CPU, 3.2GHz
8GB RAM
2 x Samsung 100GB SSD's in hardware RAID (C: drive with OS and ROF)
2 x 1TB HD in hardware RAID (D: drive for Website and Stats)
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit
1Gbit bandwidth
10TB data transfer per month

It's hoped that the server's location and bandwidth will provide a reasonable connection to players from around the globe.

=FB=Vaal has very kindly allowed us to use his original FC mission rotations to get us started. Image We will be developing these with new aircraft match-ups and missions over the coming months.
For example, we hope to replace the Capture the Flag missions (fly around the flag) with Capture the Field missions (bomb or shoot certain targets) and possibly to expand this to include other game play strategy elements (more on that in the future).

Scores and Stats can be found at http://aces-falling.co.uk/

Pilot and Squadron registration is now open and working. Please use this link http://aces-falling.co.uk/registration/ to register.

We hope that this server will become your server rather than our server, so feedback on the settings, missions, and aircraft is more than welcome. We can't promise to please everyone all of the time, but we will try at least to listen to your comments and bear them in mind as we develop the server.

Please use this thread for comments and feedback about the Server, Settings, and Missions. For our aircraft match-ups, please use this dedicated thread.

#2 Dressedwings

Dressedwings
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:33

Hm, I was hoping to check my April stats like in the example picture you provided but can't.

Thoughts? Is this on purpose?

Also thanks for this server, it seems to "flow" a bit better than FC.

TOeIhAe.png

^CHECK THE LINK^

#3 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:52

Yes sorry, all the stats from Aprils test server were deleted before we went live today with tour one (May 2014) for the Aces Falling server.

#4 Dressedwings

Dressedwings
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:56

understood, I was just curious about my Dolphin stats.

TOeIhAe.png

^CHECK THE LINK^

#5 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:13

Congratulations on the new server, Sid, and thanks for the communication. Best of luck in the new endeavor and I'll be checking it soon! Been kind of busy lately.
"There will be honor enough for us all."

#6 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:20

Very good server.
Thanks a lot!
:S!:

#7 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 01 May 2014 - 18:48

Thanks guys for giving it a go Image , so far everything on our side of things seems to be working.

Remember you can check who's online on the ROF Online Servers webpage.

Many thanks to =FB=Vaal for setting this up for us. Image

If you wish to talk to your fellow players/team members while Flying on Aces Falling you can now find us on the Unofficial public ROF Teamspeak 3 Server

ts3.riseofflight.net:7777
pass: 1917

The blanking of the in-game score board, along with any kills/deaths not being recorded on it (or being announced in the chat bar), is beyond our control as it's a problem with 777's Master Server.

Note: kills/deaths should still be recorded on the Aces Falling stats page correctly.

Remember to report Master Server problems to 777 here: MASTER ISSUES - please post here

#8 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 01 May 2014 - 19:49

Great to see its now officially up and running great.

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#9 etzel

etzel

Posted 01 May 2014 - 21:57

Great Sid, thanks for your efforts! :D ;-)

As just discussed on the Server before I want to ask regarding the friendly fire setting: According to my opinion that option is crap, it makes it unimpossible to shoot on planes attacking your field or helping friendly pilots when someone is at their six…
I made a test and saw that this option even gives you a penalty if an own hangar is "hit" by a flare. *g*

So how many players like the FF Penalty and how many would be prefer to Switch it off?

Etzel

#10 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 02 May 2014 - 00:24

Had a good day playing on this server, keep it up :S!:.

I'm for switching friendly fire off, though - anti-shoulder-shooter feature would be nice, but today I got penalised for trying to pick enemy S.E.5 against stilouette of friendly Felixstowe (clever, clever Pirato!), again for firing at Felixstowe that was bombing my airfield, and saw Felixstowe I shot down while pilot was ditching bombs get penalised for damaging his plane.

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#11 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:46

I can see the point of the Friendly Fire option,but in it's current state it's more of a hinderance than a help. As mentioned before,it's hard to defend the own Airfield without beeing damaged by Friendly Fire penalty because it's easy to hit a Hangar or a Groundunit,or even the Flagpole.
On the other hand it's usefull against Shouldershooters and Teamkillers,but there are other ways to punish them, like just shooting them down…most Teamkillers that do it on purpose are horrible Pilots. Not much to do against Shouldershooters though.
So,I also vote for turning it off.

#12 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:09

I was supporting FF penalty initially, but since I received many penalties for greeting friendly mates with green flares and also for hitting hangars while defending friendly airfields, I vote for turning it off.

#13 ChiefRedCloud

ChiefRedCloud
  • LocationWaleska, Georgia, USA

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:42

Congratulations on your Aces Falling server.

G5fCmYF.png

NEW WINGS VIRTUAL FLIGHT TRAINING

"Hardcore Through Passion"

#14 flapping-brown

flapping-brown

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:57

thanks for this new server i will try it soon…not one to worry over stats though but many will i know.
just want to fly with others and have fun
flapping browner=]

#15 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 02 May 2014 - 14:45

Thanks Chief Image

Thanks FB, we look forward to seeing you, and yes I'm aware for every person like yourself that doesn't care about scores and stats, there's someone whose raison d'être for playing is their scores and stats, hopefully we can carter for both tastes.

Opinions on the 'Friendly Fire option' noted, I'll pencil it in on my to do list to turn it off next time we take the server down.

#16 ST-Zeno

ST-Zeno

Posted 02 May 2014 - 17:09

As just discussed on the Server before I want to ask regarding the friendly fire setting: According to my opinion that option is crap, it makes it unimpossible to shoot on planes attacking your field or helping friendly pilots when someone is at their six…
I made a test and saw that this option even gives you a penalty if an own hangar is "hit" by a flare. *g*

So how many players like the FF Penalty and how many would be prefer to Switch it off?

Etzel

i think this is a good thing, so everyone gets more careful in shoulder shooting when hes getting damaged by himself. With no penalty like this you will go down very fast in combat, shot down by teammates.(noobs) ;) you will see that will be more frustrating. Fighting over own airfield is mostly stupid. didnt get any kills there because they mostly goes to " Ground Fire". And enemy fighters always getting damaged by ground fire. For me only thing is getting changed is friendly fire damage when hitting the ground of the airfield. So i vote for stay.

#17 ST-Zeno

ST-Zeno

Posted 02 May 2014 - 17:19

I was supporting FF penalty initially, but since I received many penalties for greeting friendly mates with green flares and also for hitting hangars while defending friendly airfields, I vote for turning it off.

you always get friendly fire penaltys :lol:

#18 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 02 May 2014 - 17:35

Etzel

i think this is a good thing, so everyone gets more careful in shoulder shooting when hes getting damaged by himself. With no penalty like this you will go down very fast in combat, shot down by teammates.(noobs) ;) you will see that will be more frustrating. Fighting over own airfield is mostly stupid. didnt get any kills there because they mostly goes to " Ground Fire". And enemy fighters always getting damaged by ground fire. For me only thing is getting changed is friendly fire damage when hitting the ground of the airfield. So i vote for stay.

Well,it is planned to change the Capture the Flag to Capture the Airfield. So we WILL have to defend the Airfields. With the Friend Fire penalty active the defending Team is at a Disadvantage. It should be the attacker that has a disadvantage when attacking an Airfield.

#19 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 02 May 2014 - 17:48

What exactly do you mean by "always"?

#20 ST-Zeno

ST-Zeno

Posted 02 May 2014 - 19:07

What exactly do you mean by "always"?

nevermind :P , was a joke! you never get such messages very often, everybody knows that, bro! ;D

#21 ST-Zeno

ST-Zeno

Posted 02 May 2014 - 19:12

Etzel

Well,it is planned to change the Capture the Flag to Capture the Airfield. So we WILL have to defend the Airfields. With the Friend Fire penalty active the defending Team is at a Disadvantage. It should be the attacker that has a disadvantage when attacking an Airfield.

for this map i agree with you. but not in tdm maps.When it is crowdy everbody is shoulder shooting,looking for easy kills to climb the ladder. you will be killed more by friendly fire then by opponents maybe more as by rams, perhaps.

#22 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 02 May 2014 - 19:48

@=AH=_Sid: Gratz on your new server! GJ!

My opinion on the FF penalty.

For "Defend our Stuff" types of missions, it's probably better turned off as odds
of inadvertently hitting friendly buildings, vehicles etc. are pretty high in the
course of repelling attackers.

For CTF & TDM missions I think it should be left on. Far too often pilots completely
disregard friendlies while shooting at anything and everything in front of them.

In RL, fratricide is a fact of war, but it is (and should be) relatively rare.
In RoF, too many folks (imho) show blatant disregard for their comrades.

Unfortunately though, FF Penalty is a server option rather than a mission setting,
so in the end, I'd weigh using it based on the mission mix you plan to have.

Regards,
4 :S!:

#23 shotdown

shotdown

Posted 03 May 2014 - 16:08

@=AH=_Sid: Gratz on your new server! GJ!

My opinion on the FF penalty.

For "Defend our Stuff" types of missions, it's probably better turned off as odds
of inadvertently hitting friendly buildings, vehicles etc. are pretty high in the
course of repelling attackers.

For CTF & TDM missions I think it should be left on. Far too often pilots completely
disregard friendlies while shooting at anything and everything in front of them.

Unfortunately though, FF Penalty is a server option rather than a mission setting,
so in the end, I'd weigh using it based on the mission mix you plan to have.

Regards,
4 :S!:

Congrats Sid and Billy you've done a great job. :S!: For what my opinion is worth Im in total agreement with FourSpeeds assessment of the FF Penalty.

#24 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 03 May 2014 - 16:57

As it is, it penalises people trying to assist friendlies. Especially big, multi-crew friendlies attacked by scouts at close range.

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#25 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:40

Many thanks to =FB=Vaal for setting this up for us. Image

If you wish to talk to your fellow players/team members while Flying on Aces Falling you can now find us on the Unofficial public ROF Teamspeak 3 Server

ts3.riseofflight.net:7777
pass: 1917

#26 ACE-OF-ACES

ACE-OF-ACES

Posted 04 May 2014 - 13:02

wrt friendly fire.

PROS
It really makes the shoulder shooters think twice before shooting! And if they think twice maybe they will think about covering their team mate instead of trying to shoot around him? But, that may be too much to expect from a lone wolf stats motivated type of server?

CONS
The down side is friendly fire applies to more than your team mates planes.. it also applies to your teams assets, like your base for example.. Thus when your chasing down an enemy bomber heading for your base, and your shooting at it, and ONE of your bullets misses and hit something at your base, your plane receives damaged

SUMMARY
I love it, but I would die if it went away

#27 ACE-OF-ACES

ACE-OF-ACES

Posted 04 May 2014 - 13:12

you will be killed more by friendly fire then by opponents maybe more as by rams, perhaps.
Sad but true!

Friendly Fire is a double edged sword, for sure! But over all I think more good comes from it being turned on than turned off! Granted, this server is a stats motivated server, but having friendly fire turned on forces the stat whores to fly some what realistically IMHO, which in turn makes the stats motivated servers 'feel' a little less Quakie.

#28 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 04 May 2014 - 13:28

On the other side it makes it easier for the Killstealers that just cut right infront of your Gunsight to snatch your hard earned victory. Whats worse,you get the Friendly Fire penalty and they can get away unharmed. I rather have the possibility to shot those so called Teammates down when they are rude and stupid enough to cut into my sights….and I did that in the past without regret.

Hehe, I'd almost say turn off the whole scoring,so only the people come in for funs sake rather than for getting on top of a Virtual Scoreboard at any cost but I can see the point of the Scoring as its some kind of motivation for the majority.

#29 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 04 May 2014 - 13:32

I agree with Pirato (as usual, LOL).
I would love a system where your score is zeroed once you are killed.
And you start from the scratch again.
Only your highest kill-streak is saved.

Kind of DiD.
Highest kill-streak wins.

#30 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 04 May 2014 - 13:51

Shoulder shooters,Kill stealers, Teamkillers, and general asshats,(like parking your HP on the opponents airfield)there is no sever setting that will deter them,they just don't care.The only way to change their ways is to BAN them, either by moderation or player vote.I f they get kicked and band enough they will get the message.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#31 ST-Zeno

ST-Zeno

Posted 04 May 2014 - 14:13

Shoulder shooters,Kill stealers, Teamkillers, and general asshats,(like parking your HP on the opponents airfield)there is no sever setting that will deter them,they just don't care.The only way to change their ways is to BAN them, either by moderation or player vote.I f they get kicked and band enough they will get the message.

so they changed their names and starts again with their kind of playing, so bans wont help, im afraid 8-)

#32 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 04 May 2014 - 14:24

ST-Zeno you have to be diligent,when I was with NW I banned a player 3 times,(he used different name but all similar)he got the message and was nice from then on.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#33 ST-Zeno

ST-Zeno

Posted 04 May 2014 - 14:28

On the other side it makes it easier for the Killstealers that just cut right infront of your Gunsight to snatch your hard earned victory. Whats worse,you get the Friendly Fire penalty and they can get away unharmed. I rather have the possibility to shot those so called Teammates down when they are rude and stupid enough to cut into my sights….and I did that in the past without regret.

yes this is aoption, but its getting personal very quick and people rams each other intentional ,only to destroy the fun to play, chat will be overwhelmed with rude comments and so on. is that good? :?:

#34 CGardner99

CGardner99

Posted 04 May 2014 - 14:46

First I like to thank the Trolls and more specifically Sid for the beautiful server. :S!: I have really enjoyed flying in it. Frame rates have been excellent and with me in the USA the pings have been much improved over FC.
The FF option I agree is a heavy handed way to control the behavior in the sever,so I vote turn it off as long as there is a some administrative control. Now the issue of scoring, In my honest opinion the number 1 pilot in the past has been the one who flies the most. May I suggest just turn off the high score,keep track of everything else and just list pilots by alphabetical order or whatever floats your boat. Now when it it comes to individual planes you can rank pilots in that. That would solve a lot of the other issues maybe, but its worth a try I believe.
Anyway enough typing time to fly and again many thanks Sid, look forward to the up coming battles in Aces Falling. :x

Charles Gardner
Hells Angel
War Machine

#35 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 04 May 2014 - 14:55

First I like to thank the Trolls and more specifically Sid for the beautiful server. :S!:

This server is solely Sid's project.
We (Trolls) just helped with testing.

All credits go to Sid.

#36 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 04 May 2014 - 15:44

First I like to thank the Trolls and more specifically Sid for the beautiful server. :S!:

This server is solely Sid's project.
We (Trolls) just supported the idea and helped with testing.

All credit goes to Sid.

Thanks Image

The server is actually a team effort by the =AH= (Aces High Squadron) and SC- (Skeleton Crew Squadron).

A lot of the credit for the server goes to SC-Billy as our programming and software guru (without his help we would probably still be trying to get the stats up and running Image ).

We have a lot of ideas for of how we would like to develop the server, but at this stage we are still learning to crawl with the mission editor, it will take time to get comfortable standing on two feet running a 24/7 server and we want to tread carefully before attempting to walk or run.

I'm also very keen to run this as your server rather than our squad server or fiefdom. So I very much want the encourage you all to have your say here, debate the issues, hopefully together we can slowly develop a server we all enjoy flying on.

As I said before, opinions on the 'Friendly Fire option' are noted, I've pencilled it in on my to do list to turn it off next time we take the server down (I want to try to avoid re-starting the server over the weekends or busy evening periods, so this will most likely happen during the coming week).

We'll see how it works with it turned off, there is of course the option to ban anyone seen to have a high 'Friendly' kill percentage in their stats (we may even be able to automate this function eventually).

Keep the ideas and feedback coming. Image

#37 CGardner99

CGardner99

Posted 04 May 2014 - 17:05

Sid sorry for the my confusion :? …don't know where I got the idea the Trolls where helping you. :oops:

If I'm banned for life I understand :xx:

#38 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 04 May 2014 - 17:50

Sid sorry for the my confusion :? …don't know where I got the idea the Trolls where helping you. :oops:

If I'm banned for life I understand :xx:

The Trolls helped with a lot of the initial testing. Image

I'll let you off this once. ;)

…. Now the issue of scoring, In my honest opinion the number 1 pilot in the past has been the one who flies the most. May I suggest just turn off the high score,keep track of everything else and just list pilots by alphabetical order or whatever floats your boat. Now when it it comes to individual planes you can rank pilots in that. That would solve a lot of the other issues maybe, but its worth a try I believe. ….

Yes it's always a very emotive subject. Having flown Warbirds, AcesHigh and now ROF for going on fifteen years, I realise there are two very different groups of players. There are those that fly solely for the enjoyment of the combat and the those who's raison d'être for playing is their scores and stats.

The secrete is to keep both groups happy or you just end up with an empty server (IMHO).

For the Leaderboard and Stats we run on the http://aces-falling.co.uk/pilots/ website, yes there's a possibly that in the future we might be able to adjust the way rank is displayed. Personally I would like to introduce a ranking system similar to AcesHigh, where your ranking in several different areas (Kills per Death, Kills per Sortie, Kills per Hour of Flight, Kills Hit Percentage, Kill Points, etc, etc) is combined in to a single ranking list. In AH it has proved to be a reliable system that's both difficult to 'game the game' and much less dependent on 'time put in', and far more dependent on skill and surviving.

Then you have the in-game scoreboard. It has to realised the in-game scoreboard and the stats on our website are completely different, even the criteria for being awarded a kill is different. These in-game points would have counted towards your placing on 777's own Leaderboard, but 777 has now shut it down.

These in game points I could turn off, but the question is would we lose half our players if the scoreboard just showed zero points? (kills would still show).

One of the things I thought about doing with the Aces Falling server was to run it in 'Full Real + Icons'

At the moment we are running using the 'Standard' preset, which has a points multiplier of X1 (so for every point you score you get 1 point).

If we change anything here, the settings run in 'Custom', which has a points multiplier of X0 (so for every point you score you get 0 points)

This doesn't affect the way the leaderboard or stats work on our website, these 'points' only counted toward 777 leaderboard anyway, but would we end up with an empty sever?

It's all open for discussion, I'm happy to tailor the server for majority of those that fly on it.

#39 The_Locksmith

The_Locksmith

Posted 04 May 2014 - 17:52

I had a blast on this server last night! At first i thought the flying circus changed names, but i learn they closed it down some people mentioned.
But anyways, congratulations

#40 1PL-Sahaj-1Esk

1PL-Sahaj-1Esk

Posted 04 May 2014 - 21:29

Looks interesting AH,

however, did you ever consider making it x 1.5 server ? withought the icons and all the "easy fly mods" etc. ? I think it could significantly rise the skill level on such a server in the long run.

S!

kpt. pil. / Capt. Sahaj / Operations Officer / 1. Eskadra Mysliwska / 1. Pulk Lotniczy / http://www.1pl.boo.pl

bannerf11esks.png?raw=1

http://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users