Photo
- - - - -

Helping to add Aces to PWCG

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 ArisBild5

ArisBild5

Posted 26 March 2014 - 16:02

As I posted in the Demands/ Bugs thread it would be great if we could add aces to the Jastas/Squads not available at the moment in PWCK. As they are plain txt files I would like, if possible to get some info on some parameters so that I (or anyone interested) could add them for personal use or future releases. After all it's a daunting task for a single person,…

Where do you get the Leave information for those aces already present? What does Rank = 0, 1,2… mean?

Etc,…thanks in advance Pat.

#2 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 26 March 2014 - 16:54

Let's dissect Walter Gottsch …

Nation = 501
… is German

Ranks - 0 is commander (for Germans this could be Lt on up, but it signifies squadron command).
1 is Oblt, 2 is Lt, 3 is FW, 4 is VFW. Lower number = higher rank.

Gottsch was a Lt with Jasta 8 until he became commander of Jasta 19. There is no indication of a promotion so he may very well have remained a Lt even after taking command. In PWCG this is noted by a jump in rank from 2 to 0. Because any officer could be made a squadron commander, PWCG uses the generic Kommandeur for squadron command and not a real rank (Hauptmann is the highest active flying rank but most squadron commanders were Oblt or even Lt).

Date is the date on which the rank was achieved. All dates are in dd/mm/yyyy format

Squadrons 501008 is Jasta 8. For German Jastas the squadron id code will be 501xxx where xxx is the Jasta number. Date is a date of assignment. In general, the squadron id must match the same field in SquadronInfo.RoFCampaign.

Gottsch started his scout career with Jasta 8 and then became commander of Jasta 19.

Leave = 30/11/1917;
Leave indicates the pilot is not active for some reason. In the case of Gottsch I got this information from theaerodrome. Especially with minor aces this info may be hard to come by. Either use what you have or extrapolate by noticing a distinct lack of success for a period of time.

End = 10/04/1918;
End is the end of the pilots career. Any date before the end of the war implies KIA. Gottsch was killed on April 10 1918.

Skins
Skins for this pilot. Usually empty although there is always a chance for existing skins.

Victories
Type can be anything and need not match ROF planes.
Date is the date of the victory.

Medals
This info is often sketchy and is filled in with best guesses. For Gottsch I assumed that he would get everything up to the PLM based on his score. In general, one victory for IC2, 6 victories for IC1, 13 victories for HoHo. Minor aces would not get the PLM. Date of medal is a few days after required victory.

Unlike victories, Medal type text must be exactly as expected. Gottsch provides a template for the other aces.

#3 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 26 March 2014 - 16:57

One key is not to let perfect get in the way of good. Gottsch's medals are an example. I do not know when they were awarded or even what was awarded, but as a competent pilot with a 18 month career the medals certainly would have come. The medals that I chose to award make sense, and the dates of award are reasonable, so it will have to do until perfect information becomes available.

#4 ArisBild5

ArisBild5

Posted 26 March 2014 - 17:20

Perfectly clear sir!

BTW: according to my data Gottsch was awarded the House Order of Hohenzollern on 23 August 1917.

#5 thedudeWG

thedudeWG

Posted 26 March 2014 - 17:50

For victories and airfield locations, this is a handy link: Central Pilot & Squadron Victory/Event Logs (and more …)

#6 ArisBild5

ArisBild5

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:52

Thanks for the link BH_thedudeWG.

Pat, I have Werner Junck, commander of Jasta 8 in 1918, ready. I am attaching it so that you can take a look, and …approve it?¿

Attached File  Werner Junck.zip   17.29KB   32 downloads

#7 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 27 March 2014 - 13:35

In general I prefer not to add commanders with only five victories because it takes away the possibility of the player commanding the squadron. It's a balancing act. The top names like von Richthofen and Mannock I want in place commanding their unit because they are so well known and so closely associated. The lesser squadrons serve as a place for the player to step into a command role.

Having said that, I don't mind making an exception for Jasta 8 if you want to see Junck. Just be aware that his existence might force you to transfer out should you be successful and reach command rank. PWCG forces the player to transfer out if he reaches command rank and the squadron is already commanded by a historical ace.

I hope that doesn't sound too critical. I do appreciate the effort and I do feel that the inclusion of 10+ victory aces (it's currently 20) will add to the feel, especially in places like Jasta 8 where there are none.

#8 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 28 March 2014 - 17:09

thanks, think I'm going to fill in the jasta 18raben , 40s and #56sq.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#9 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 28 March 2014 - 18:31

I am plugging along towards the next release. Not too soon, but plodding in that direction. Let's use this thread to post any ace files. I will grab them and include them.

A request: whenever you create an ace please test him by starting a career in the same squadron and verifying that he is there.

Appreciate the help. Just as with the skins, a lot can be done with a little hand.

#10 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 28 March 2014 - 18:57

But what info do you want and how shout we present this. August Rabe Fokker DVII 5000034 skin or do you need date of entering jasta and leaving jasta, rank??? TXT or Excel file.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#11 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 28 March 2014 - 20:27

But what info do you want and how shout we present this. August Rabe Fokker DVII 5000034 skin or do you need date of entering jasta and leaving jasta, rank??? TXT or Excel file.

Per the ace files in PWCG. They are plain text files. ArisBild posted one for Junk a few posts earlier.

#12 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 30 March 2014 - 19:43

Ok so you want to have then in a txt file like that sample.

I know lot of aces do not have any skins, if I take a look at the France or Belgium aces, should we also go for these or stick to the aces that have a skin included in RoF.

And what about famous flyers, with lesser kills.

#13 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 01 April 2014 - 19:29

Did made one from Edmund Thieffry one problem he is in 5eme only there is not a 5eme so I did put him into the 9eme.
I do not know how to put in the awards. He did get the:
Croix de Guerre 1914-1918
Chevalier de l'Orde de Léopold II
Médaille d'argent de la Valeur Militaire de l'Italie
Chevalier de l'Orde de Léopold
Coix de Guerre française avec palme
Médaille de la Victoire
Médaille commémorative de la Guerre 1914-1918
Chevron de Front

Only I know only the date of Croix de Guerre and Médaille d'argent de la Valeur Militaire de l'Italie

Pat could you help by checking and advising.

Attached Files

#14 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:27

Ok so you want to have then in a txt file like that sample.

I know lot of aces do not have any skins, if I take a look at the France or Belgium aces, should we also go for these or stick to the aces that have a skin included in RoF.

And what about famous flyers, with lesser kills.

While I'm sure there are aces without skins, there are plenty of aces that do have skins, so it would seem to make more sense to start with the ones that do have skins but aren't already in PWCG.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#15 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 02 April 2014 - 17:23

With or without skin is not the problem, ET does have skins in Rof btw. Otherwise I think the ace should use default, like as a sample the many German aces that [like jasta 17 Buckler], are only limited to the Albatros DVa skin.

No I want to know how to cope:
Aces that are always or temporary in a squadron/jasta/KEK/eme/esc that are not available in PWCG.
How to do all those awards, if date of receiving is not available, nor the medal is not in PWCG included.
And a judgement is my .RAR sample OK, I use the free WINrar to open btw.

Because I understand that Pat needed help in making these Aces .txt, if not or no-reply here, is also OK and I will stop, because I do not want to force him.

#16 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 02 April 2014 - 19:15

You can put the ace on leave or assign him to a non-historical squadron as you did Thieffry.

If the medal is not available in PWCG then do not award it.

If a medal is available but the date of award is not, use a reasonable date (example: I award the IC 1st class about 10 days after the 6th victory)

Still need to look at the rar

#17 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 03 April 2014 - 18:15

Great, if the .RAR is good and of-course you like to have a helping hand, then I would like to start for Belgium.
I will keep on focusing to Belgium aces that have a skin like Cremers and Jan Olieslagers. But also JoJO Kervyn de Lettenhoven, de Meulemeester and the famous RiRi Crombez.

#18 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 03 April 2014 - 19:33

I gave Thieffry some medals and added him. Not 100% accurate but not a bad picture. For Belgian aces:

The CdG can come any time after the first victory.
The Ordre de la Couronne can come any time after six victories.
The Ordre de Leopold can come any time after ten victories

Attached Files

#19 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 03 April 2014 - 19:37

Ok I will continue next week, if you like, because weekends are normally for family, playing PW-CG and working if needed.

#20 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 04 April 2014 - 18:29

What code do you use for Caporal/ 1st Sergent/ Sous lieutenant/ 1 Lieutenant/ Capitaine??? [4/3/2/1/0] ???

#21 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 04 April 2014 - 21:51

Caporal = 4
1st Sergent = 3
Sous lieutenant = 2
Lieutenant = 1
Capitaine = 0

#22 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 15 April 2014 - 20:19

Here one sample of a famous ace, Crombez, he was one of the best Belgium pilots in WW1. I have put him in #3 which he never served in, but is a 2seater esc.

My fav. German ace Kurt Monnington, which seems to be a nice and friendly guy, do not know if you have all the skins. He did fly shortly in Kest1, jasta12 and FA[A] 281 all very brief, so I did not publish that.

Pat, how do you handle the awards/medals.

Attached Files

#23 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 22 April 2014 - 19:16

new one :S!:

Attached Files

#24 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 23 April 2014 - 19:33

George "JoJo" Kervyn de Lettenhove

Attached Files

#25 samba-liten

samba-liten

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:52

Could someone please look this one over? The man shows up, but his victories don't for some reason. I must have made a typo somewhere, but i can't find it. :0o:

Edit: Never mind…. i found it. :oops:

#26 samba-liten

samba-liten

Posted 08 May 2014 - 16:55

Ok, finished with Paul, and added a Hans as a bonus. I'm sick of text editing for today now, so the rest of the 10+ victory aces who served in J1asta 18 will come later.

Attached Files

#27 samba-liten

samba-liten

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:06

Here's one more to complete the 10+victory aces from Jasta 18. I left Buddecke out, as he spent most of his time in the Ottoman Empire. Also, the only remaining 10+ ace from Jasta 17.

Im running out of suitable Osprey books now, so i suppose ill start checking through the lists at the Aerodrome.

8-)

Edit: Found a skin for Klein, so updated the file.
Edit 2: Added picture for klein.

Attached Files

#28 samba-liten

samba-liten

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:31

Two more, and I'm done for the day. Got to take some time to actually fly as well… :x

EDIT: One more thing, i get how to code the Jastas, but what about the FAA etc? Quite a few pilots started out there, and some even scored their first kills there. Would be nice to have them start out in the right place.

Attached Files

#29 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 09 May 2014 - 18:38

Not every jasta/squadron is in PWCG, in this case I just do not use that.

I did few but I do not know if Pat like/uses them??

#30 samba-liten

samba-liten

Posted 09 May 2014 - 19:22

Keep it up Dutch 2. Pat has stated in another thread that any aces and skins we can contribute will be included in the next update.

So, here are two more Germans, and one more question:

It seems the program doesn't like aces without a picture. Is there a set procedure for dealing with this, or am i free to make up any kind of image as a place-holder?

Attached Files

#31 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 09 May 2014 - 19:39

I think it is just a matter of using the right name on picture and name of the .txt file, both in the aces folder.

I will keep on for Jan Olieslagers as my last Belgium ace.
And then go to jasta 40s and finish Rabens jasta 18, think it not only a matter of aces but also of famous pilots like August Raben.

#32 samba-liten

samba-liten

Posted 09 May 2014 - 19:46

I've got the naming down, but some of the aces have no known portraits. It seems to me in cases like this you have to assign any old portrait. That's what i was asking about.

#33 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 09 May 2014 - 21:39

In general I would like German, British and French pilots to have at least 10 victories before including them. I am a bit more lax on Belgian and American, but I prefer not to have non-ace squadron commanders.

Per pics, I have generally had success if I looked long enough, but some will not.

#34 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:13

Ok then I'm will concentrate on the 10 or more aces.

#35 samba-liten

samba-liten

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:24

The latest batch.

Attached Files

#36 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 11 May 2014 - 19:52

Added aces:

Andre de Meulemeester
Erik Thomas
Hans Donhauser
Hans Muller
Johannes Klein
Otto Brauneck
Paul Strahle
Rudolf Matthaei
Werner Steinhauser

#37 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 12 May 2014 - 18:10

Added aces:

Andre de Meulemeester
Erik Thomas
Hans Donhauser
Hans Muller
Johannes Klein
Otto Brauneck
Paul Strahle
Rudolf Matthaei
Werner Steinhauser

Any reason why not my other pilots, or is this because of the more then 10 claims .

#38 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 12 May 2014 - 21:53

Any reason why not my other pilots, or is this because of the more then 10 claims .

I know that I added a couple of your pilots in the last release. There was one who had only one claim but was made a squadron commander, but I thought that I picked up the rest.

#39 samba-liten

samba-liten

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:58

The next 3.

Edit: And one more to go with Jasta 26.

Attached Files

#40 samba-liten

samba-liten

Posted 14 May 2014 - 20:06

And some more.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic