* * * * * 4 votes

Probably pre-Italian Front map

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#41 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:37

Yes,I was puzzled by this puzzle at first too :)
But its a great way to save textures!
Look at the map from the release. It has all the tiles. The "new" one comes with 1/4 less and it doenst catch your eye :)

#42 BaronVonMyakin

BaronVonMyakin

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:04

Exactly, WW1EAF_Paf!

O_WolfPac, really saying, I find nothing difficult working with texturing of the RoF maps. Thanks to tiles, I can make with textures everything what I want. To make a photo realistic texture in these conditions is much-much easier as to try to create new texture in RoF-style. But I don't want photo realistic textures in this great game. I love design and style of RoF. If I need photo realistic surface, I'll start MFS.
Grayscale map isn't perfect only because of in-game scale 50 m/px. But this idea to use graycale map for game's height map is great! I suppose, it's better to have some mountain map with rare visual defects as generally not to have map. And as I wrote in the first post, I'll try to hide all visual scale defects as far as possible.

#43 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:06

Hiya Paf :0)

not opened the texture files for a long time so the rules have changed again !

I remember why it changed it was possible to make a map that was mods off mode ,so they changed it to stop that.
It was around the time O_Lethal and myself had a few drinks and made the RED STRIPE wastelands go away for ever in summer and winter map , we never did get a thanks but we sure got drunk :0)

BaronVonMyakin

No worries i found the picture by accident and figured it might help :0)

#44 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 16 May 2014 - 14:30

Interesting discussion gentlemen!

#45 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 16 May 2014 - 15:02

Sorry Bandy but I can't say the same thing,because I don't understand what they are talking about.
What I do find interesting is the creation of this map,I can't wait to see it in game, I love flying in mountains.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#46 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 17 May 2014 - 17:25

well hillbilly your in for a disappointment in one way

Mountain flying feels wrong because the wind blows through the mountain not round it or over it.
No lift , no sink , no cliffs with turbalance or gorges with wind sheer.
just flat wind

Looks nice but feels wrong when flying.

sorry

#47 Capitanstratos

Capitanstratos

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:18

Any update?

#48 BaronVonMyakin

BaronVonMyakin

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:26

Any update?
There are many new things but I wouldn't like to show them till they are fully ready.
Soon you will get detailed info about project's progress.

#49 Capitanstratos

Capitanstratos

Posted 16 January 2015 - 13:34

There are many new things but I wouldn't like to show them till they are fully ready. Soon you will get detailed info about project's progress.

Being really interested in the Italian theatre I'm really looking forward to this map, hope you can add a seaplane base/"airfield" (sorry, english is not my main language, but sure you know what I mean) for each side. Now If the devs could add a flyable Phönix D.1 and the skinners some Oeffag Albatros skins I will be in RoF heaven. :S!:

#50 igorlikesp38

igorlikesp38

Posted 27 February 2015 - 18:17

Hello,

first of all I would like to thank all the modders that are trying to incorporate the Italian front into an amazing game that ROF is. I hope that the day will soon come to pass as I could fly in a Fokker over the beautiful Soča/Isonzo river. 

If you could consider it, please remember to include enough of the rear areas for the Austria-Hungary, as the whole of western Slovenia, capital Ljubljana included, and most of W Carinthia represended an important hinterland for Isonzoarmee supply lines, and therefore often "visited" by Italian Caproni Ca 3s ... If you could it would also be great to include ports of Venice and of Trieste in the map so one could recreate the dogfights of the seaplanes between  

Italy and A-H empire.

Wishing you much satisfying moments creating ROF Maps, whatever front they might represent.

#51 PCDurum

PCDurum

Posted 28 May 2015 - 18:06

Any news Baron?   :icon_e_salute:

#52 BaronVonMyakin

BaronVonMyakin

Posted 05 June 2015 - 10:52

Any news Baron?   :icon_e_salute:

Thanks for interesting about this project!
I have a big progress in it but I wouldn't like to show something now because if some elements are ready, another are not yet.
Nevertheless, I'm planning to prepare something special to show you soon ;)

#53 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 05 June 2015 - 19:46

Hi Baron. I'm sure that there are a lot of people that, like me, are just lurking (without commenting), but eagerly awaiting for the release. Congrats on the initiative and the work done so far. :icon_e_salute:

#54 PCDurum

PCDurum

Posted 07 June 2015 - 00:10

Great to hear you are making good progress and still working on your map! :icon_e_smile:

#55 Ekaton

Ekaton

Posted 22 June 2015 - 13:08

It's great to know that there is progress on this wonderful mod!

#56 BaronVonMyakin

BaronVonMyakin

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:49

I feel myself not so good that I promised some time ago to show something new but didn't do it yet. It's so because work with composing of different textures needs a bit more time as I thought before.

That's why here is some screenshot that you guys won't think that I gave this project up :)

I just notice that screenshot is from editor and terrain without masks - I mean masks are finished already but now switched off because of texturing and map looks much better in game.

I decided share this screenshot because suddenly got this sight and found it looking great.

Attached File  it.jpg   139.73KB   70 downloads

I still hope that I'll finish with textures and forests soon and then can show you how really cool map looks with different types of forests and textures of different regions.

:icon_e_salute:

#57 AB1Vasek

AB1Vasek
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 24 August 2015 - 18:20

Nice work, you chose a beautiful part of Europe :-)

I am posting a shot of Lago di Garda from Rifugio Altisimo (cca 2000m ALT) for you.

S!

Attached Files

HistoricPropellers_banner_forums_500.jpg
Flight Commander Vasek, 1st Aerial Battalion
HistoricPropellers.com

#58 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 24 August 2015 - 18:37

Wow... That is amazing! Does the editor allow for snowy peaks? Or maybe a way to cheat the editor and add snow?

"There will be honor enough for us all."

#59 jeanba4

jeanba4

Posted 24 August 2015 - 18:38

Great, I hope you will be able to release the map any day !

#60 BaronVonMyakin

BaronVonMyakin

Posted 24 August 2015 - 18:54

Nice work, you chose a beautiful part of Europe :-)

I am posting a shot of Lago di Garda from Rifugio Altisimo (cca 2000m ALT) for you.

S!

Thank you much for photo, it'd be very useful for me! Do you know if there is snow somewhere in this region in summer?

I visited Garda special because of this map last year but didn't see any snow there but I could miss something.

Wow... That is amazing! Does the editor allow for snowy peaks? Or maybe a way to cheat the editor and add snow?

Yes, it's possible - I can add snow as textures. I though already about that.

Great, I hope you will be able to release the map any day !

I hope too :)

#61 AB1Vasek

AB1Vasek
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 24 August 2015 - 18:57

Snow on the peaks around Garda in summer? No :-) Rocks, grass, trees, cows, sheep and wine :-)

HistoricPropellers_banner_forums_500.jpg
Flight Commander Vasek, 1st Aerial Battalion
HistoricPropellers.com

#62 BaronVonMyakin

BaronVonMyakin

Posted 24 August 2015 - 19:00

Snow on the peaks around Garda in summer? No :-) Rocks, grass, trees, cows, sheep and wine :-)

Perfect! Thanks!

I try to add wine :)

#63 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 24 August 2015 - 19:14

Hehe, not to push for anything  :icon_e_biggrin: I don't know the map location and the period, just messing around, but is there any front or period in Italy where there might be snowy peaks? It would be nice to break the ice a bit  :icon_e_smile: Perhaps a sort of Matterhorn lost land map.

#64 BaronVonMyakin

BaronVonMyakin

Posted 24 August 2015 - 19:29

Hehe, not to push for anything  :icon_e_biggrin: I don't know the map location and the period, just messing around, but is there any front or period in Italy where there might be snowy peaks? It would be nice to break the ice a bit  :icon_e_smile: Perhaps a sort of Matterhorn lost land map.

Yeah, it'd be cool.

Unfortunately, there are no peaks like Matterhorn in this region. But even present mountains will be enough for ROF's "steam-machines" to climb.

If experience with this summer version map will be successful then nothing will disturb to make map in autumn colors with snow peaks :icon_e_wink:

#65 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 24 August 2015 - 19:52

If experience with this summer version map will be successful then nothing will disturb to make map in autumn colors with snow peaks :icon_e_wink:

That would be cool  :icon_e_smile:

#66 Habu

Habu

Posted 26 August 2015 - 18:38

Thanks for interesting about this project!
I have a big progress in it but I wouldn't like to show something now because if some elements are ready, another are not yet.
Nevertheless, I'm planning to prepare something special to show you soon ;)

Good to know that you are still working on the map. :icon_e_salute:

#67 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 26 August 2015 - 18:46

This is great news!  Just what the doctor ordered for RoF, some community content.  Hope the devs see fit to add it to the game so it can go multiplayer ASAP.

Thank you!

#68 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:13

Looks cliffy. How tall are those mountains ingame?

#69 BaronVonMyakin

BaronVonMyakin

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:28

This is great news!  Just what the doctor ordered for RoF, some community content.  Hope the devs see fit to add it to the game so it can go multiplayer ASAP.

Thank you!

It's still early to thank :) Maybe after release (if it happens) you all will think that this map is total sh*t  :D

Looks cliffy. How tall are those mountains ingame?

In the region at the screenshot, alltitude is about 1500 m. In the whole map, the highest point is about 3200 m.

#70 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:32

Looks great!

One tip, from a mission makers perspective, please create a number of flat areas that can be used as (temporary/fictional) airfields. They don't have to have an airfield texture, as long a they are flat. With the current map it's impossible to add an ad-hoc airfield, because there will always be a slope that will crash the aircraft.
The reason I ask is because historical airfields are usually too far apart to be used in the usual MP missions.

#71 BaronVonMyakin

BaronVonMyakin

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:43

Looks great!

One tip, from a mission makers perspective, please create a number of flat areas that can be used as (temporary/fictional) airfields. They don't have to have an airfield texture, as long a they are flat. With the current map it's impossible to add an ad-hoc airfield, because there will always be a slope that will crash the aircraft.
The reason I ask is because historical airfields are usually too far apart to be used in the usual MP missions.

Good tip, thanks! I'll do that.

When whole landcape will be finished maybe I'll post a topographic map here that we all together can decide where will be better to create such places for airfields. So that it'll be interesting and useful for using them in multiplayer-missinons.

#72 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:10

Good tip, thanks! I'll do that.

When whole landcape will be finished maybe I'll post a topographic map here that we all together can decide where will be better to create such places for airfields. So that it'll be interesting and useful for using them in multiplayer-missinons.

Sounds great!  :icon_e_salute:

#73 pollux18

pollux18

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:15

It's good news

"Il faut préférer la modestie de ceux qui s'associent pour combattre aux triomphes passagers de celui qui s'isole."

Cdt De Rose

#74 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:08

It's still early to thank :) Maybe after release (if it happens) you all will think that this map is total sh*t  :D

While it may not be a completely polished environment (as we would expect from the devs of RoF) it would not be acceptable for anyone in this community to call it "total sh*t" or anything so critical, especially if they do nothing but sit on their a$$es and complain on the forums...

You've taken this terrain very far, I think, all by yourself (correct me if wrong).  This is most commendable, but if I may say respectfully you don't have to do this all by yourself.  As seen by Vander's suggestion from a mission-maker's perspective, there may be other important things that are more easily worked in, or corrected, at the development stage.  The earlier the better in fact.

Perhaps think about opening the project up just a little to a few people you may are comfortable with.  Those who could assist you with small tasks, and/or provide constructive feedback during development. This is your project, you make final decisions, but generally speaking an organic creative process makes things better.  Just food for thought.

:icon_e_salute:

#75 thenorm

thenorm

Posted 03 September 2015 - 18:37

Out of curiosity (glider-pilot thinking here), does the wind in ROF interact with the terrain at all? Will wind follow an upslope or down slope, or simply phase through the mountain? (I kind of suspect the latter, would be awesome to find out I"m wrong though...) 

#76 BaronVonMyakin

BaronVonMyakin

Posted 03 September 2015 - 18:59

I don't know.
And I'm not sure that wind interacts somehow with terrain. As I know it should work with objects - we took off one day by strong side wind and hangars along the field protected us from the wind successfully. Maybe it's same with terrain.
Somebody from developers can answer this more exactly (or somebody who tested interaction between wind and terrain in the game specially).
It'll be pity of course if wind will have no effect in mountains. But I think we can excuse such lack because the map can provide another new interesting possibilities. And that can warm interest to game - exactly what ROF needs now.

#77 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:48

All our positive energy is heading your way Baron!

Holdmelikeyawlneverseeme-1.gif

Of course, nude women are just a bonus...

#78 BaronVonMyakin

BaronVonMyakin

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:49

Hey guys!

Does somebody have a wish and fun to prepare some models of unique historical buildings from the region of this project?

If yes, then please write it here or inform me per PM - I'll provide then a list of such buildings.

#79 GenMarkof007

GenMarkof007

Posted 11 May 2016 - 19:59

Hi Baron,

Tried to stay up to date about the Italian front map release?

Any idea when we should see this new map.

I would be more than happy to test it when pre-release.

Cheers,

GenMarkof ;)

#80 BaronVonMyakin

BaronVonMyakin

Posted 12 May 2016 - 14:49

Hi Baron,

Tried to stay up to date about the Italian front map release?

Any idea when we should see this new map.

I would be more than happy to test it when pre-release.

Cheers,

GenMarkof ;)

Hi GenMarkof ,

uuufff, I have many ideas about release of the map but as we see often these ideas/plans are very far from reality. So I wouldn't promise something what I probably won't be able to provide.

But I appreciate your wish to test map before the release. I have noted that :) Testers are always good!

S!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users