* * * * * 4 votes

Probably pre-Italian Front map

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1 BaronVonMyakin

BaronVonMyakin

Posted 09 March 2014 - 13:55

Hello guys!

Let me introduce you some project. Some map project. It's just pre-, pre-, pre- …… pre-alfa but I'd like to share it with you. If I'll be able make all what I plan, then you'll get long-awaited map of Italian front.

I began this work some months ago but I present it only now because it was neccessary to test some ideas. I should say those tests were successful - all what I planned to make, I made and I'm glad with result. Surely, you heard that RoF engine doesn't match well to build real mountains but I suppose that right using of trees, new textures, bump-mapping and maybe extra objects for relief can help to built qualitative mountain landscape. I think screenshots prove it very well despite there is only initial version with default ground textures.

I didn't start to make whole Italian map at once because Italian front is too large to control all problems of building process. With map of less size, I'll learn where and to what I should give more attention during making of Italian map later.
This map will be made as island but landscape is real and taken from real part of Italian Alps. Of course I'll use this part in future Italian map. Who knows Alps very well can try to guess which region exactly I used for map.

At this moment, common relief is ready as well as water surfaces and 30% of forest. Next steps are:
- New textures
- New ground objects: buildings and trees
- Maybe relief objects: cliffs, waterfalls. I'm sure it'll be hard to release this point but I'll give my best. If it'll be possible not to use these objects without decreasing of landscape quality, then map will be ready earlier.

These all preparations should help me to make Italian map quickly enough (of course if they will be successful). Nevertheless, RoF community will gain anyway - either you'll get Italian map with unique landscape and mountain island as bonus or you'll get just one more island map for new air battles.
Map won't be so small. Whole map size now is about 128x128 km. Size of ground area is about 97x89 km

I'll inform you about process as possible.
Salut!

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   100.1KB   1647 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   163.52KB   1637 downloads

#2 Genius

Genius

Posted 09 March 2014 - 14:02

Good news !

What is the maximum altitude above the ground ?

#3 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 09 March 2014 - 14:06

Before we have another idea without any results, in trying to make new maps, why not trying to act as a group. You all should have more a less the same problems and maybe then we will see finaly any results. :D
read this: Area of interest for a possible Italian Front Map

And I do know some guys are trying for a Polish war map:
Belarussia Map

And here:
Gallipoli Map (WIP)

Only a few samples, still waiting for results, btw.

:S!:
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

2009 Rof pre-order buyer

#4 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 09 March 2014 - 20:41

Pretty impressive looking so far - looking forward to see how things progress.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: 38292159602_c99566b93e_o.jpg

#5 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 09 March 2014 - 20:42

Great start!

#6 oneeyeddog

oneeyeddog

Posted 09 March 2014 - 20:53

Very,very nice. Your time and effort are much appreciated.

#7 BaronVonMyakin

BaronVonMyakin

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:47

Max altitude at this map is about 2000 m.

Before we have another idea without any results, in trying to make new maps, why not trying to act as a group.
I prefer to work alone - so, I can control everything better and don't have any pressure. When I need any help, then I'll inform RoF community of course. Till now, it wasn't neccessary.

Area of interest for a possible Italian Front Map
I have read that. If my experiment will be successful, this area will be included in whole Italian map too. I chose my region not simply so - there are three different landscape types and not so many big cities. The first one helps to prepare well for whole Italian map, the second one will alow to finish map faster.

And I do know some guys are trying for a Polish war map:
Belarussia Map
And here:
Gallipoli Map (WIP)
I saw this too. But somebody prefers East and Turkey Fronts and somebody prefers Italian Alps ;) I wish much luck these guys and hope they will make maps finally but I have my own interests. Of course if they heed some help from me, I'll tell them all what I know and what I found during the building of my map.

Only a few samples, still waiting for results, btw.
And now, we have possibility to wait one more result. :S!:

#8 jeanba4

jeanba4

Posted 10 March 2014 - 15:15

A very interesting project, I wish you to be successfull

#9 =CAI=Gladio

=CAI=Gladio

Posted 10 March 2014 - 15:48

Friuli Venezia Giulia

#10 pollux18

pollux18

Posted 10 March 2014 - 17:14

Very interesting project

Good luck.
"Il faut préférer la modestie de ceux qui s'associent pour combattre aux triomphes passagers de celui qui s'isole."

Cdt De Rose

#11 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 10 March 2014 - 18:07

That looks nice! Keep us posted!
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" [MLKJ]

#12 PCDurum

PCDurum

Posted 10 March 2014 - 18:18

Oh boy, Oh boy! stupendous!!! :shock: Looks splendid so far, certainly hope you can pull it off.The very best of good wishes to you. Please keep us informed. :S!:

#13 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 10 March 2014 - 18:28

Ok we will wait for the results first, but until that I'm still skeptical.

btw here another try: Polish Halberstadt from Soviet-Polish War 1920
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

2009 Rof pre-order buyer

#14 Genius

Genius

Posted 10 March 2014 - 21:22

Max altitude at this map is about 2000 m.

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Just for my curiosity, It's possible to have higher mountain altitude ?

Alps have many peaks over 2000m (2500/2800m is very current and even 3000m).

(from the french side of the Alps)

Genius

#15 Agent86

Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:36

Looks Great ! Nice work. Hope to see it soon :S!:

Sorry About That                                                           

#16 BaronVonMyakin

BaronVonMyakin

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:44

Ok we will wait for the results first, but until that I'm still skeptical.
It's okay. I'm skeptical about this whole gamble too ;)

Just for my curiosity, It's possible to have higher mountain altitude ?
Alps have many peaks over 2000m (2500/2800m is very current and even 3000m).
(from the french side of the Alps)
All is possible. Even 5000 m ;) But as I said, I used real region for my map and that's why I can't (and don't want) use fiction alltitude. Buuuuut maybe I'll add some satellite islands which won't have anything from real relief and then I can use any altitude there.

Friuli Venezia Giulia

Nope :)

#17 =CAI=Gladio

=CAI=Gladio

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:51

Damn Baron ;)

I was thinking about the second image where it seems to see a river, the sea (I must suppose the Adriatic) and some nice mountain really close to the sea. In this case could be the Isonzo river. This is my guess … if not please PM me … you teaser :mrgreen:

#18 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:58

Great news! Now to have 777 build the 202km/h Series 253 Albatros.

#19 Ury

Ury

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:51

Ok guys here is some info from my side:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=T0KBkLtjzMs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">

http://www.kobariski-muzej.si/eng/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.kobariski-muzej.si/eng/

P.S. Rely nice job on the map :S!: Cant wait to try it out

#20 BaronVonMyakin

BaronVonMyakin

Posted 11 March 2014 - 13:24

Damn Baron ;)

I was thinking about the second image where it seems to see a river, the sea (I must suppose the Adriatic) and some nice mountain really close to the sea. In this case could be the Isonzo river. This is my guess … if not please PM me … you teaser :mrgreen:
C'mon!! Try again! ;)
Small hint for you. It's not the sea. Look at water. It's a lake. One biiiiig lake on the west.

#21 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 11 March 2014 - 13:31

Lago di Maggiore ?

#22 Genius

Genius

Posted 11 March 2014 - 13:35

Re, Thanks.

Not necessary to add fictional map (i prefer, like you, a map realistic).

Not more of 2000m, my proposal :

Bye

#23 BaronVonMyakin

BaronVonMyakin

Posted 11 March 2014 - 13:46

Lago di Maggiore ?
Too far to west

Not more of 2000m, my proposal :
Too far to east

Guys :) I didn't write that I'm making whole Italian front already. It's just a training and just a small part of the front. And this part shouldn't be the main region where general action was.

But I like this guess-game already. Let's continue to play :S!:

#24 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 11 March 2014 - 15:43

Buuuuut maybe I'll add some satellite islands which won't have anything from real relief and then I can use any altitude there.

Man, this is getting fun!
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" [MLKJ]

#25 =CAI=Gladio

=CAI=Gladio

Posted 11 March 2014 - 16:25

Are you speaking about Lago di Garda ?

#26 BaronVonMyakin

BaronVonMyakin

Posted 11 March 2014 - 17:14

Are you speaking about Lago di Garda ?
Bingo! :x

#27 =CAI=Gladio

=CAI=Gladio

Posted 11 March 2014 - 18:14

Amazing mate, simply amazing. I suppose isn't possibile to test this map area yet, right ?

#28 BaronVonMyakin

BaronVonMyakin

Posted 11 March 2014 - 18:59

Unfortunately, no.
It's no so easy to include new map into the game. Developers should do this and I don't want to disturb them till landscape is fully prepared.

#29 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 11 March 2014 - 19:33

some italian front map would be awesome. I think I´d happily make-do with the planes we allready got there even though I wouldn´t mind if proper ones rained down, too ;=)

looks great!

#30 Bf-110

Bf-110

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:08

Didn't knew mountains were possible on RoF.
But awesome work sir!

#31 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 12 April 2014 - 00:17

Out of curiousity - does anyone know what was the highest airfield used in WWI?

#32 Dressedwings

Dressedwings
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 12 April 2014 - 00:25

ha, funny.

I tried googling your question and came across a post you made a year ago on the aerodrome :lol: . Seems like that info is either not out there, or not recorded online.

TOeIhAe.png

^CHECK THE LINK^

#33 Avimimus

Avimimus

Posted 11 May 2014 - 23:08

Yes, I've been curious about that for a while.

It'd probably take some historical digging (making a list of airbases and finding the elevations of nearby contemporary locations). I wish I had more time for that type of thing :)

#34 PCDurum

PCDurum

Posted 13 May 2014 - 21:14

My guess for the highest would be one of the airfields in the Trentino area tho I've not found anything solid? Any news on the map by the way? :D

#35 BaronVonMyakin

BaronVonMyakin

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:15

Any news on the map by the way? :D
I'm working with textures for mountain regions now but because of much work lately, I do it not so often as I'd like.

#36 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:36

BaronVonMyakin

It might help you this tip
A old Flight sim called "Condor" Glider/sailplane flight sim the Editor for the flight sim is very usefull for correcting and altering greyscale mapping to work within ROF it loads nasa files and SAVES them ,which is an extra bonus

if you want to make the mountains slightly higher , edit the heightMul=2.74 text line in the height.ini file , by playing around you can make verdun 5x5 map have alpine mountains without any greyscale editing what so ever but do not go to far witht he values :0)

Make alot of backups and do not give your map to someone you do not trust.

#37 BaronVonMyakin

BaronVonMyakin

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:11

BaronVonMyakin

It might help you this tip
A old Flight sim called "Condor" Glider/sailplane flight sim the Editor for the flight sim is very usefull for correcting and altering greyscale mapping to work within ROF it loads nasa files and SAVES them ,which is an extra bonus

if you want to make the mountains slightly higher , edit the heightMul=2.74 text line in the height.ini file , by playing around you can make verdun 5x5 map have alpine mountains without any greyscale editing what so ever but do not go to far witht he values :0)

Make alot of backups and do not give your map to someone you do not trust.
Thanks for advices!

Height map is finished already long time ago and I'm fully glad how it looks. Of course grayscale maps were used for that and I didn't forget about HeightMul too. Playing only with HeightMul attribute isn't really right method. Grayscale gradation is very important. And only right using of both gives well-looking picture instead shit-looking peaks :)
But that all was the easiest. Textures, models, simulations of life on the map are real work.

#38 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:17

Will the ground textures you are creating be able to use Ankor's excellent bump map mod?

Now that I have been using his bump map mod, I don't think I could fly RoF without it. It makes such a difference in creating a landscape that looks real.

#39 BaronVonMyakin

BaronVonMyakin

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:36

Will the ground textures you are creating be able to use Ankor's excellent bump map mod?

This bump works according to difference between two contrast colors. So in theory, it should work with my textures too - they have same colors as RoF textures ;)

#40 O_WolfPac

O_WolfPac

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:55

I dont know how much you know or have worked out but this below picture i screen printed the ingame editor once i had retextured all 100 tiles of the carpet texture we see as grass , i was making desert so i changed to sand :0) but to learn sequence i numbered 100 tiles so i could see the rules of ROF mapping.

Since this i learned from 1PL-Lucas-1Esk how to rotate tiles to correct the puzzle into number 1-100 without rotation and repeated number tiles…

The 100 tiles are repeated over and over again, something like 144 times across the large rof map and about 48 times across verdun 5x5 map and maybe 40 times on lakes map ,,,just my quick estimate please dont hold me to that fact.

I then learned how to make verdun 5x5 a photo realistic map where no tile is repeated all original and unique for an idea to make 2 maps 1 as photo realistic , 2nd map retextured using Terragen and then edited via photo realistic merging where it needed touching up .

Anyway , basic idea is if you was to retexture carpet tile with a foundation textured road going from tile 51 to tile 60 you will have hard task ,plus you will end up with a road somewhere on the map that repeats 144 times all over the whole map that you DO not want :0)
look at sequence and work it out. standard map is a puzzle clever map maker russia vodka and lots of late nights to work out the puzzle it was a bit like playing skyrim so thanks for the puzzle rof NeoQB :0)

But its easy to re-order the puzzle into easier carpet so the road is straight n true , it also means you can up the quality of the tile foundation to a greater detail by having unique,,,, lets say 2048x2048 tiles or 4096 hd quality and photo realistic these into terragen merge.
Terragen can generate greyscale mapping into textured DDS and bmp even tga files Automatic just make sure you have a spare pc while it renders them as it does take along time to complete the HD tiles over 720 res…

I have all the files but the hard drives are in storage as i have moved countries 4 times in last 5 years so chaos an life changes but if you want to make i remember how its done.

The reason we all stopped making files is because ROF CHANGED the Mapping format and structure just as we worked out how to make them and improve them to something worthy of the time the only thing that halted all our maps was roads n rail and Ankor worked a wonderful charm on this , but timing and life got in the way of mapmaking ,,, you may think your greyscale map is good quality but in time you will learn it needs extra work you just dont realise it yet.

Anyway good luck ignore the critics as you will be the greatest critic of them all and i hope your stubborn.

Best Regards
Tony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users