* * * * * 1 votes

[MOD] Arras 1917

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#81 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:23

Yeah great news! If you need some more 3d models than shout out! Altough currently I have my hands full and I promised Bandy to work on his destroyer first :)

#82 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:28

Yes, always willing to help with manageable 3D model requests to forward the goals of a project like this.

:S!:

#83 Habu

Habu

Posted 30 August 2014 - 13:56

Very good news.

#84 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 12 November 2014 - 07:37

I tried to install this mod, but my frontline textures disappeared. Does anyone have this? Maybe it's a conflict with another mod? (I'm already using a landscape texture mod)

thanks!

#85 Branwell

Branwell

Posted 13 November 2014 - 21:59

I've recently been researching one of my relatives, who was killed in the First World War aged 19. He was my 2nd cousin, twice removed (i.e. one of my great-great-great-grandfather's great-grandsons!

As part of my research I have got hold of a copy of his unit's war diary. He probably joined them (the 95th Machine Gun Company, part of 5 Division) between 1-3 May 1917, when the Company were fighting to the north-east of Arras, and he would have been mortally wounded very soon after that; he died of Wounds on 17 May 1917, and is buried at Aubigny-en-Artois, just to the north-west of Arras - presumably near the Casualty Clearing Station he was evacuated to (there were three there in May 1917: Nos 24, 30 and 42 CCS).

The war diary shows that 12 of the Company were wounded on various days during the first half of May (they are not named in the diary - Officers would have been, but these were just O.R.s, or 'Other Ranks'). Eleven of the men were wounded by hostile shell fire, but the fate of the 12th is interesting. The following three paragraphs are what the war diary has to say for the 6th of May 1917:

"6 May. Orders issued for 4 guns in FRESNOY to be withdrawn, on account of the extremely heavy hostile shell fire, and 4 guns of No.1 section to advance and take up positions on high ground in ARLEUX LOOP in T29b to command NE FRESNOY.

10pm. No.2 section successfully evacuate their positions during a quiet period, and retire into reserve at WILLERVAL. No.1 go forward and take up 4 positions in trench at T29b.4.2 (2 guns) and T29b.6.6 (2 guns). These guns now command, by direct fire, enemy lines in front of our front line from U25d.0.6 to U19c.5.0 (approx). The indirect fire SOS barrage which now forms a continuous line from C2a.6.3 (sheet 57B NW) to U19d.1.0 (sheet 36C SW). Sniping continued by No.3 Section.

Enemy aircraft are constantly over our trenches - our guns have constantly engaged them from our positions both S and N of ARLEUX. 1 O.R. wounded by piece of AA shell."

FRESNOY and ARLEUX in the diary will be Fresnoy-en-Gohelle and Arleux-en-Gohelle respectively, about 10 km NE of the centre of Arras, and Willerval is 2km to the west of Arleux-en-Gohelle. Other pages in the diary around that day refer to the Germans being in the area of Oppy, which is to the SE of these three villages.

I don't know whether Charles was the man killed by AA fire on 6th May, or even which unit fired the fateful shell (it was obviously not MG fire from his own Company). The Jasta that the intended target of the shell was from, and what type it was, is also unknown, but as you are swooping around the virtual skies over Arras, please look down and spare a thought for Private Charles Henry Shirvington.

RIP, to all who lost their lives.

#86 yeikov

yeikov

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:56

I tried to install this mod, but my frontline textures disappeared. Does anyone have this? Maybe it's a conflict with another mod?

It's probably a conflict with a file in Forts of Verdun mod: there are two different versions of that mod, with and without Arras 1917, see here [Mod] Forts of Verdun v1.00

#87 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 14 November 2014 - 14:28

Hi reflected, rhis mod moves the frontline, so maybe youjust missed it.
On the other hand.in the state this mod is, its rather a template for missiondesigners.
You can use custom made missions for this mod,or make missions yourself, better don't use this mod with regular missions, capaign and QMB ;) Some parts of it will show, other not and things get mixed up.

I started to release this mod as a seperate map, but for the lst weeks work has stopped, as my real life work is full into the evening…

#88 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 29 December 2014 - 21:08

After alot of work in the background (not much to show) to get the seperate map working, I incorporated all the work done in the Mod into the new map (not as easy as I thought). Also coming Longuenesse/St.Omer in the 1917 Layout. Fresh from the editor, next step textures:

#89 Genius

Genius

Posted 29 December 2014 - 21:50

Good news !

How size are you map, St-Omer/Arras/St-Quentin ?

You had Mont St-Eloi Abbey ?

Bye

Genius

#90 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 29 December 2014 - 22:01

Hi Genius,
its 128km x 115km big.

roughly:

St. Omer……………….
……………Valenciennes
Amiens…………………

#91 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:19

Paf, if your B&W reference photo is to scale in your image below, and I believe this is so, then it is really eye-opening to see how small most of those cultivated fields are.

… Also coming Longuenesse/St.Omer in the 1917 Layout. Fresh from the editor, next step textures:

#92 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:40

I recently began using the Arras mod and what impressed me the most was the extra shell holes that peppered the landscape outside of nomans land. I'd love to see the effect extended to other areas and wondered if there is any turorials on landscape modding and modifying map textures.

#93 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:32

Paf, if your B&W reference photo is to scale in your image below, and I believe this is so, then it is really eye-opening to see how small most of those cultivated fields are.

Yes, but it depends. I had the same thoughts when I started doing the villages and airfields according to photos & maps. The fields directly at the farms and villages are quite small most of the time. Thats why I paint new smaller fields around them to give it a more authentic look. Look at this screenshot for example:

At more open areas the field sizes of the ingametextures are quite fitting actually. Also it depends of region, just use google earth and look at the arras area today, go abit north or south and you see a big variety of field sizes :)

#94 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:54

Thank you for reply Paf. Please note it was no criticism, just a simple observation. I notice things like this.

That you are providing repaint of ground textures to include smaller fields near settlements is incredible attention to detail. A labour of love?

I can only imagine how much work you and others have put into making this map, just a small section of the overall Western Front.

Oh, to dream some day of more areas with this treatment!

:S!:

#95 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:56

Feathered, I made thgis effect by applying hundreds of so called substrate-textures I painted along the frontline. So its quite texture-intense, but I experienced no performance-drop, so maybe its ok. I didn't test it on a much larger scale, its alot of work, placing by hand. The whole frontline of the new map will have those though.

Bandy, no problem, I didnt read it as critism, just observation. I love landscapes too and to me its very interesting. Whats definately needs some work is the land along the rivers, I have some ideas, but I fear its too much load for the map.

#96 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 30 December 2014 - 14:26

Thanks Paf, I apreciate the information. I'll start reading up on substrates. I hadn't heard of a new map with frontlines. Will have to look for that too!

#97 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 30 December 2014 - 21:33

There were some instructions about using substrates here on the forum, maybe a search will do it.
The new map I am speaking about is my project, nothing official ;)

First steps on texturing the landingarea (from Editor, low quality)

#98 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:55

Wow. I'm really impressed!

#99 Markow

Markow

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:16

Yes
WoW

campribV.png

#100 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 04 January 2015 - 00:12

Thank you!
Some more work on the textures, small fields in the surrounding & planting trees…

#101 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:33

Now, that's an airfield to call home!

#102 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 04 January 2015 - 17:36

I spoke with the commander. Syndicate can rent a few hangars if needed ;)

#103 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 07 January 2015 - 21:27

Test. Generic Village No.1
I built a generic village and draw a fitting substrate-layer.
Its supposed to be one of the generic villages to populate the landscape replacing the old ingame village-textures. For now without trees, looks abit odd :?

#104 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:29

No, even right now it is a vast improvement over the gray substrate squares under the buildings.

Many S!'s

#105 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 08 January 2015 - 06:56

Looks much better! I think most villages will have a church and a "hotel the ville" with a small square in front ( to play jeux de boules :) ) But maybe in your example te village is too small for that.

#106 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:48

Looks bloody brilliant!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
Spag. :)

Bite off more than you can chew.

Then chew like Hell ! ! !

#107 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 08 January 2015 - 14:43

Ok, I am abit dissapointed how it comes out in the editor.
Well, lets see whats possible. Working on more now.

@Vander: Actually there is a small church in the centrum. But bigger villages/towns will indeed get a kind of central market / town square. :)

#108 Waxworks

Waxworks

Posted 08 January 2015 - 16:00

Map of the Cambrai battlefield:

Gouzeaucourt ruins:

Gouzeaucourt would be a large village, though they seem more common than the smaller ones like Trescault. Trescault still seems about twice the size of the generic small village?

The mission limits may be out-of-date for our PCs but there is little guidance as to what the limits should be six years later. However there will still be some trade-off between, for example, scenery and Vander's moving soldiers.

The Cambrai mission I am exploring has most of the villages on the map, though they are not full size, the smallest ones are still missing and there are no trenches. I've attempted to combine that with significant numbers of moving objects, though the map is still fairly barren.

#109 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 08 January 2015 - 17:46

…The Cambrai mission I am exploring has … no trenches. I've attempted to combine that with significant numbers of moving objects, though the map is still fairly barren.
Sounds good Waxworks.

Certainly not an expert on the ground war here, but my take on the German 'defense in depth' did not rely on trenches so much as tactical strong points that provided covering fire for each other. Yes, there were circumferential trenches around the more important strong points (these could almost be considered small forts I suppose, a concentration of pill boxes), but the points themselves were not interconnected by a trench system. So, don't worry about missing trenches.

I can't remember from testing, but are German pillboxes part of the ground attack mission for RFC?

#110 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 08 January 2015 - 20:25

Sounds good Waxworks.
Indeed!

New Picture with Generic Village No.2 added. It is a typical settlement you can find on the outward roads of bigger towns or cities. No.1 got its brightness abit reduced and I think its looking much natural now. Also this shot is from ingame, which is always looking more harmonic. :)

Left: No1, Right: No.2

#111 Waxworks

Waxworks

Posted 08 January 2015 - 20:42

The Hindenburg Line consisted of two sets of trench systems, backed by a third which had only been indicated by the removal of the turf. Hundreds of yards of wire covered the front line, where there were only troops for observation and harassment. The scheme was designed so that an artillery barrage would cost few defenders and would require a long time to destroy the wire, so that reinforcements could move up.

There were often villages included as strongpoints. This artillery plan shows Havrincourt and Flesquieres. Cambrai was chosen for an attack because the ground had not been torn up by artillery, so that the tanks could move forward more quickly.

Paf, while those villages look good although small, if you make the villages generic they will look exactly the same and confuse navigation..? Is it possible to make 'village-modules' rather than whole villages?

#112 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 08 January 2015 - 20:50

Paf, while those villages look good although small, if you make the villages generic they will look exactly the same and confuse navigation..? Is it possible to make 'village-modules' rather than whole villages?

The smaller ones are quite fast to do. 1 or 2 evenings. So with time we should have some variation. You can place substrates overlapping so you can combine already these "standalone-villages".
Good thing, they are not heavy on the performance.
I plan to do modules for the larger ones (towns), which are too big for 800meter texture anyway.

#113 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 08 January 2015 - 22:15

Here is an example of what I mean. Really quick test. The first substrate added will be covered by the newer one, this way you can create new villages. Now add, delete, change some buildings and I think its enough to have good variety. With more substrates added the possibilities grow :)

#114 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 08 January 2015 - 22:50

That's pretty smart Paf! And it looks very realistic too. Really looking forward to this "Hi res" map of the Arras area!

#115 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 09 January 2015 - 20:26

Thanks Vander :)
Really looking forward to this "Hi res" map of the Arras area!
Yes, me too. But its still some way to go ;)

Today I implemented the Channelmap shaders to get (at least for me) the best effect of it to the map. Trees! :) Well nothing new you think. But with these shaders its possible to use trees along the roads resembling allées, which is very important for french landscape (missing from the western front map). Also its now possible to use treelines on the substrates.
Small test of functionality:

On the downside, I now have to rework the mask….

#116 Dauntless1

Dauntless1

Posted 20 May 2015 - 15:18

Hows it coming along! :icon_e_salute:

#117 GenMarkof007

GenMarkof007

Posted 20 May 2015 - 16:39

Happy to see for the first time this thread... really great map modding Paf... I like how you create the grass and the lines of many vehicles passing near the hangars.

Like many others, if you have an early beta or even alpha of the map, I would be more than happy to give it a try and give you some early testing comments.

Cheers and hope the mod is still up and going!

Gen ;)

#118 Dauntless1

Dauntless1

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:28

http://www.rofmods.c...as_Lens_Sector/

#119 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 21 May 2015 - 13:01

Not much news sadly.

After I discovered a mistake I had to redo alot of files. Nothing spectacular, but I had to recrop and resave over 260 texture files, which killed motivation for a while. Few weeks ago I used some free hours to do it. But right now I am missing enough freetime to make good progress.

Water, trenches and roads need to be reworked to have a playable alpha-version.

#120 Genius

Genius

Posted 21 May 2015 - 21:42

Not much news sadly.

After I discovered a mistake I had to redo alot of files. Nothing spectacular, but I had to recrop and resave over 260 texture files, which killed motivation for a while. Few weeks ago I used some free hours to do it. But right now I am missing enough freetime to make good progress.

Water, trenches and roads need to be reworked to have a playable alpha-version.

Thanks for the news _Paf  :icon_e_salute:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users