* * * * * 1 votes

[MOD] Arras 1917

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#41 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:15

So, this is the folders that I have in my ROF forder. There is no MODS folder, just a MODS folder inside the JSGME folder. I uniziped it inside the MODS folder of JSGME and installed with the tool, but I can't find it at the game (with mods on).

What am I missing? The Mission tab in the game shows all the mods, but not the Arras one. Not either with Quick Mission.

Is this correct?

"There will be honor enough for us all."

#42 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 28 March 2014 - 17:56

Im not sure if JSGME can work the way you have set it up. I always have used (since Silent Hunter III) the JSGME-Mods folder in the game directory.
But a way to check if its installed:
go into ROF/data/graphics/LANDSCAPE/
and look if there is a folder called "Arras1917".
If its there,its installed correctly.
In game you should see after hitting the "Missions"-Tab a Folder for Arras 1917 Missions, which contains I believe 2 or 3 testmissions.

Quickmissionbuilder is not supported yet. I amworking on it. Otherwise it is "just" a Template you can build your own missions on.

#43 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 28 March 2014 - 18:18

Thanks, I'll try that. You mean "bin_game" folder? I think the JSGME is there because this is what the manual says. Or perhaps it said "in the game folder", when it should be "in the ROF/bin-_game folder". Or is it ROF/bin_game/release folder?

#44 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 28 March 2014 - 18:25

I have it this way:

#45 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 28 March 2014 - 18:55

Got it. Rise of Flight folder :S!:

#46 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:51

So do I read this right: if only flying PW-CG like me, then this map has no sense.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#47 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 29 March 2014 - 16:08

Ok,I have no experience in mission-building :(
All I was able to do is, the Arras Map is selectable in QMB and you can fly it with all the new textures.
The scenery is missing though, I blame this on the missions ;)
So, you've added a new .info file with correct locations. That's good :)
Now, to add the scenery you need to convert your group file into "lgb" format. Do you have the tool to do it?

Then, if I recall correctly, you have to put this file into "Rise of Flight\data\scg\1\" folder (or it could be \0\ at the end depending on the value you have for &tvd= in the info file).

You then set this line in the info:
&overlay1="<name of your group>.Group:none"

It will tell the game to use your group without any distance limit (:none). I haven't looked what your Arras template is, but if it too large you may want to set a limit to the inclusion distance as value in kilometers after colon.

The second line for overlay just points to an empty group, if you don't need it.
&overlay2="Empty-trunc.Group:20"

After that the scenery should appear.

#48 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 29 March 2014 - 19:00

Ok, so its the converter/ converted group file that I need. ;)
Thanks AnKor!

#49 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:20

I have it this way:

When I unzip the file to the ROF main folder, it does not stay like yours. All the files stay inside the JSGME folder, like I showed before. What am I doing wrong?

#50 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:39

Don't ask me how, but I got it :D I moved the files to be like yours and I saw a MODS folder that I hadn't noticed before. I placed it there and it worked!

Nice map… I loved the shell holes and the cities. It gives another dimention to the mud. What a work it might have been! Thanks to all of those who put effort into this. Fantastic!

#51 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 12 May 2014 - 20:17

After some time I am able to return to add more content. First there was too much RL work and then we had too good weather to sit infront of the pc ;) But now the rain is back.

I want to present you the first WIP of Avesnes-le-Comte Aerodrome.
Most of the layout is done. Several fields, all the details and the trees ofcourse are still missing. But I think you can get an idea of the airfield and the small town.

From "Airfields & Airmen: Arras" by Mike O'Connor:
"The main RFC occupant of this aerodrome was 12 Squadron, who where based here from March 1916 until 9 May 1917. No. 43 Squadron was resident from March to June 1918 and 54 Squadron for only a week or so in late 1918."

A quote of R R Money describing the move to the aerodrome:
Our move to Vert Galand had been a mistake, and now we went to Avesnes Le Comte on the Frevent-Arras road, under Gordon Sheppard. The French Artillery were still in position on the Arras front, waiting until our infantry had found their feet […]
A French Artillery Observation Squadron, mounted on Caudrons, remained on the Avesnes Le Comte aerodrome to look after their gunners until we arrived […]
The aerodrome was a very small one, bounded on one side by a road with telegraph wires, on another by a sunken road, and on a third by the hangars, office an a farm-yard. How we got off in our overloaded machine when the ground was wet I do not know. As our old pilots were killed, or went home,their places were taken by other with very little flying experience, and some glorious crashes ensued. The telegraph wires gave way without upsetting a B.E.2C, though they proved strong enough to overturn a Morane and kill the pilot, but the haystacks in the farmyard and the sunken road, cost us several machines.

#52 Genius

Genius

Posted 12 May 2014 - 21:33

Good works !

Thanks

Genius

#53 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 13 May 2014 - 15:52

Thanks Genius :)

#54 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 13 May 2014 - 16:09

Paf, do you know if any server is working on a multiplayer mission with this map? I flew on it once and it is impressive the details. Great job.

#55 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 13 May 2014 - 16:32

I would love to use this in MP missions, but need to be sure players will not get the rof.exe errors?

#56 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 13 May 2014 - 17:31

Thats right, the ROF.exe is pretty annoying. Its possible to remove all the trenches and the error is gone, but that is far from satifactory.
But I am quite optimistic to have the error removed in version 1.1. But it still takes some time…

#57 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 13 May 2014 - 17:57

FOr now, maybe it is possible to leave the trenches "by default", and not adding the new ones, which seemed to cause the ROF exe?

#58 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 13 May 2014 - 19:16

Yes, I have to rewrite file and upload as fix. Maybe I do it. Tommorrow I will work on trenches and see, if solution is near or far. If its far, I upload fix with reset trenches.

#59 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 13 May 2014 - 19:31

Cool, would be awesome to fly this map on a MP mission.

#60 J5_Matthias

J5_Matthias

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:23

I'm guessing the bug is either related to the sheer complexity of the trenches I added or else there's a duplicate named trench object somewhere that I missed.

I hate to settle for the generic "three lines of trenches" but that may be the best level of detail ROF can handle without it flipping out. If so, so be it. So rather than be left with no trenches, I'd be happy to attempt to revamp it for the entire length of the modded front. Everything South of Pronville/Queant was really just a placeholder for eventual more detailed work anyway.

Thanks for the continuing work Paf. :S!:

#61 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:38

I'm also keen on having an Arras mod "light" that doesn't crash the game, so we can use it in MP!
Of course, I will have to finish the Mt St Eloi abbey towers as well ;).

#62 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 09 June 2014 - 16:55

Great news gentlemen! Love where this is going…

#63 RoclorD

RoclorD

Posted 05 July 2014 - 15:42

Hi,
This mods looks really great, but I have a silly question.
Will it looks like that during whole war or only in 1917? I mean the moved front especially…
I use PWCG for career.

"Don't read history - make it" - Knights of the Sky

#64 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 05 July 2014 - 16:17

I think the timeframe represented is March 1917 - November 1917 (Cambrai battle). Correct me if I'm wrong!

#65 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:02

I decided to make some single player missions during Bloody April, because of this great mod. However, every time I exit the editor or RoF it crahes and gives me an error message. Surely, this can't be good. Will there be a fix, maybe remove some files? It would be a shame to not be able to use this mod properly!

(Oh and add the Mont St Eloi abbey of course! :) )

#66 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:19

Can you describe the crahs? Is there an error message?

#67 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:25

It just says "Mission Editor has crashed" or "Rise of Flight has crashed" when I exit.

#68 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 13 July 2014 - 13:11

I suppose you have done this trick: http://www.checksix-...425189#p1425189" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.checksix-...ms.com/viewtopi … 9#p1425189

which is to delete the trench lines which are causing the ROF.exe and crashes?

#69 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 13 July 2014 - 14:16

I suppose you have done this trick: http://www.checksix-...425189#p1425189" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.checksix-...ms.com/viewtopi … 9#p1425189

which is to delete the trench lines which are causing the ROF.exe and crashes?

Yes and no. That's why I'm hoping there will be a new version.

I checked, yes, that "fix" is still operational. But I still get the crashes on exiting.

#70 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:04

Hi all,
I am working on the next version that will hopefully remove the exe error and keep the new trenches. Something went wrong there in version 1.
The new version will also add La Bellevue, Avesnes-le-Comte and St. Eloi airfields.

#71 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:40

Ah, you mean you still have the crashes with the "fix"? That's strange!

Great news for the new version, Paf!

#72 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:35

Hi all,
I am working on the next version that will hopefully remove the exe error and keep the new trenches. Something went wrong there in version 1.
The new version will also add La Bellevue, Avesnes-le-Comte and St. Eloi airfields.

Great news! I was really enjoying the terrain while testing my new mission (RFC 60 from Filescamp) :)

Please take care with Bellevue: The ground is not flat and it took me a lot of time to get layout that was acceptable. Also, some invisible trees are still there.

#73 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:39

By the way, is it possible to make a new map out of this? So cut out the Arras portion and create this as a new map?

#74 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 15 July 2014 - 14:18

Yes, I started this a while back out of interest. It has Pros and Cons though.

Please take care with Bellevue: The ground is not flat and it took me a lot of time to get layout that was acceptable. Also, some invisible trees are still there.

A big advantage would be, that I could flatten areas!

So maybe it is the way to go, but I am not sure if I can do it alone. You see I already have problems delivering textures and small updates because of lack of time ;)

#75 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 15 July 2014 - 14:28

Let's see if we can get some help. I am willing to help, but I'm not sure what needs to be done?

I think it will be the best way to go to make full use of it. It also means less memory problems (I hope) if the total map is smaller.
If the devs add it to the game, just as they did for the "Inspiration map" than I'm sure it will be the most popular map in the game!

#76 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 06 August 2014 - 14:34

I've made a winter (for march/April 1917) and autumn (for september/october/november 1917) variants of this mod, altought with disable detailed textures of Lens, Roeux, and all the other airfields "retextured". It doesn't include trench lines also (Bloody April fix).
Dunno if this interests someone, or maybe Paf is working on this already?

#77 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:52

Hi J.j.
At the very beginning of my first Project (Roucourt) I planned to do other seasons too, but its too time consuming now, I already added 150 unique textures, I don't plan to redraw them ;)

To all,
I am sorry to say that I am not sure if I continue work on an updated version of this map.
All my work now is going into a new (standalone) map of the arras-sector which will cover an area of 128 x 115 Km, densely populated.

#78 Dauntless1

Dauntless1

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:20

:S!:

#79 Genius

Genius

Posted 28 August 2014 - 21:20

Hi J.j.

All my work now is going into a new (standalone) map of the arras-sector which will cover an area of 128 x 115 Km, densely populated.

Good news Paf ! :S!:

#80 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 29 August 2014 - 00:08

Great news! :S!:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users