* * * * * 1 votes

[MOD] Arras 1917

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 J5_Matthias

J5_Matthias

Posted 02 March 2014 - 18:45

Arras 1917 Mod 1.0

The Arras 1917 Mod is now officially live and available for release on to ROF Mods Page here:
http://www.rofmods.com/en/Arras_Lens_Sector/

Our old thread in the General Discussion section is being closed now that we've deployed. This will be the running thread for continuing work and discussion.

Full mod details & notes below - some of what we wanted to say didn't make it when 777 posted the mod page.

Name: Arras 1917 Mod
Version 1.0
Mods = ON
Description:
This mod completely remaps the front line from Arras to Soissons (~40km) to match the situation on April 3, 1917. Additionally the entire Arras and Lens sector has given a great deal of historically accurate changes in the form of completely redesigned airfields, cities, and industrial sectors that transform the sleepy farmland into the busy industrial sector that it was. We hope that it provides an incredibly immersive experience for missions dated from Dec 1916 - May 1917. along the entire length of the Hindenburg Line.

Detailed Changes:
1. Trench lines moved to April 3, 1917 position from Arras, south to the end of the Hindenburg Line. (J5_Matthias)
2. Retexturing of ground for Hindenburg Line withdrawl, and complete remapping of artillery fire on the new front (WW1EAF-Paf)
3. Airfield availability changed to match period from Dec 1916 - May 1917 from Ypres to the end of the Hindenburg Line. (WW1EAF-Paf & J5_Matthias)
4. Complete historical layout and texture revamp of airfelds (and nearby landmarks) in the Arras sector: Boistrancourt, Choques, Epinoy, Filescamp Ferme, La Brayelles, Le Hameau, Phalempin, Roucourt, Vert Galand. (WW1EAF-Paf)
5. Complete historical layout and texture revamp of cities in the Arras sector: Avion, Fresnes, Lagnicourt, Lens (and surrounding townships/factories), Pelves, , Rouex (and the chemical works), Saily, Sallaumines, Vitry-en-Artois. (WW1EAF-Paf)
6. Additional redesigned war torn towns and factories for the Bruay sector, the Lens sector, the front line from Arras to Croiselles, and the Bapume salient. (Waxworks & J5_Matthias)
7. Static Models - New hanger and factory buildings. (Genius)
8. Static Model - Airfield observation tower. (SYN_Bandy & SYN_Vander)
9. Template files to support mission development using the mod. (J5_Matthias)
10. Two single player missions so that players may freely go sightseeing. (J5_Matthias)

Thanks and Additional Comments:

Thanks to all those above who contributed, Waxworks for his inspiration to make this an open community effort, Ankor85 for the editing tools and support graciously provided to us, and 777 Studios for their great game and providing mod hosting

For more static models and updated textures for some of the hanger and factory objects this mod uses, please consider downloading the current WIP building pack from Genius at: New project - Buildings

Change log:

v 1.0 - 1 March, 2014 - Initial public release

#2 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 02 March 2014 - 20:14

Absolutely gorgeous! Will test when I finish this night's VM :)

#3 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 02 March 2014 - 20:24

Looks nice!

One observation though: on pict above, the trenches are crossing through river/lake?
Would it be possible to erase them on top of water?

#4 J5_Matthias

J5_Matthias

Posted 02 March 2014 - 20:50

Hello FiFi good catch. Most of the trenches we worked on were South of the Scarpe and those I know I fixed. Obviously we missed checking the original trenches around Lens. :) We do intend to keep working towards future releases on this mod.

#5 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 02 March 2014 - 20:56

Yes, there are things left to do and make better.
More detailed & corrected trenches is one of the things out of many. Actually I have quite alot of ideas how to improve the actual version. But sadly all of it takes time ;)

Some more screens of the actual version. Phalempin, Chocques & Vert Galant

Lens and outskirts

#6 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 02 March 2014 - 22:19

I´m deeply impressed with the re-mapped cities and villages. That is quite an improvement… and I can only wish that this may expand!

#7 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:20

I hope they include your work in the official game at some point, this is how the front should look :S!:

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

#8 PapaFlo

PapaFlo
  • LocationInnsbruck

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:42

You guys rock :S!:

Thank You!

intel i7 7700k@4,5Ghz watercooled with be-Quiet Silent Loop 240, GSkill Aegis 16 GB DDR4 Ram@2800Mhz, GigaByte GA-Z270-Gaming K3, Gainward GTX 1080 phoenix glh, TM Warthog throttle and stick (with 7,5cm extension by Sahaj), MFG Crosswind pedals, Saitek yoke, Saitek throttle quadrant x 2, Saitek trimm wheel, Gametrix KW 908 Jetseat, TrackIR 5

#9 Koziolek

Koziolek

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:25

Thank you guys very very much. That is incredible work

#10 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:32

Fantastic,
Does it work with PWCG?
Or is it only for custom built missions?
Cheers,
Spag. :)

Bite off more than you can chew.

Then chew like Hell ! ! !

#11 Markow

Markow

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:03

WoW
This is beautiful

campribV.png

#12 Pierre2

Pierre2
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:17

Had a quick 10 minute flight to check it out and from what I saw very impressive indeed. Thanks for the efforts of all involved. Looking forward to both sight seeing flights tomorrow.

I did get a "RoF exe has stopped working" just as I exited the game but apparently there was a bit of a server problem at the time so hopefully that was the cause.

#13 J5_Matthias

J5_Matthias

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:51

Fantastic,
Does it work with PWCG?
Or is it only for custom built missions?
Cheers,
Spag. :)

I have not tested it with PWCG. PAF may have.

#14 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:58

I did get a "RoF exe has stopped working" just as I exited the game but apparently there was a bit of a server problem at the time so hopefully that was the cause.

I had this a few times and thought it is related to my old pc. Maybe the mod needs abit more powerful pc because of higher density of custom & substrate textures, but I made no exact tests.

Regarding PWCG. Just enabling the mod doesn't bring the new villages & airfields to your game, just the textures. And only for the summer season!
I will release a Mod with the villages etc. for the standard summer map which is used by PWCG.
Brigstock made an PWCG implantation and it works for our squadbased coops.
To fly from the new custom airfield is a more timeconsuming work with a lot of testing for AI to work properly. I don't have the time to do now.

So right now, its "only" a mission-template.

#15 J5_Matthias

J5_Matthias

Posted 03 March 2014 - 14:06

It does require a lot of power. I have 8GB of memory and I found that if I turned up my anti-aliasing past x4, I got ROF-exes on exit. I'm currently playing on it with AA set at x2 with no issues.

(All other video settings maxed out)

#16 J5_Wolf

J5_Wolf

Posted 03 March 2014 - 16:22

Great Job Guys!
Im looking forward to seeing this eventually in game and online. Love the airfields!

#17 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 03 March 2014 - 17:04

Good effort chaps!

#18 J5_Rumey

J5_Rumey

Posted 03 March 2014 - 18:00

Lovely!

Attached File  Lens.jpg   524.2KB   555 downloads

Attached File  boistrancourt.jpg   709.71KB   554 downloads

#19 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 04 March 2014 - 19:37

Well done gentlemen! The seeds are planted for a very bright future. :S!:

I really love Ankor's bump mapping, but from what I understand if you have installed the MP version, then you are using some or all (?) of his GFX settings, which are set at the highest. I am not sure what settings are involved in the mod (read his thread), but hoping it might explain these problems mentioned above.

I know since I have bump map mod installed that Channel Map frames/sec have noticeably fallen, especially at take off, and near the ground. The normal Channel map is more resource intensive for everyone, but it was not that bad before for me…

Perhaps we can confirm or deny this as the source with some troubleshooting.

#20 Ztenis

Ztenis

Posted 04 March 2014 - 22:57

awesome! Thanks for all the time and effort spent on building all of this stuff. :S!:

#21 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 05 March 2014 - 17:40

FYI for those interested. To make this mod compatible with PWCG the following needs to happen:

1. The new Arras objects must have their country properly set - either Germany (501) or France (101) depending on which side of the lines.

2. The existing Arras has to be removed from RoFCampaign\Data\Input\FranceGroundObjects.RoFCampaign

3. The new Arras has to be put into RoFCampaign\Data\Input\FranceGroundObjects.RoFCampaign

4. To make the mod compatible with moving front, overlays have to be made to change sides as the lines shift.

My biggest problem is that I do not know what the mod replaces. 1 and 3 are pretty easy. 4 can wait (it can be stated that this mod does not work with moving front … until it does).

My other concern is the effect on performance. If it did not have a major effect I would just incorporate it and be done with it, but I can't do that of it will kill performance on some people's machines. That means an optional add on, which means support for multiple configurations, which starts to get unmanageable. To be honest, I would probably choose to support this by not supporting it - i.e. use at your own risk.

Not sure if there is interest in getting this into PWCG or help available to do it. Let me know.

#22 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 05 March 2014 - 17:54

Pat, there are even more problems to it ;)
This mod recreates the aifields available in April 1917, we deleted the ones not there at the time (quite alot).
Also it is a mod only for summer-map. It is not compatible with winter & autumn landscape!

I will release airfields and villages/cities I made as an addition to the standard summer-map as "Mod Aerodrome 0.2". This will keep the original 1918 frontline and all the other airfields from the standardmap.

#23 J5_Matthias

J5_Matthias

Posted 05 March 2014 - 19:08

Yes the best way to think of this is as an entirely different map. Because really, it is. Pwcg would have to know that when the campaign reached 1917 to switch to this map and then in 1918 to switch back to the current map. It would be like adding a fantasy island campaign as a 1915 or 1919 tack on to the existing campaign system. Since the 1917 map currently overwites the 1918 map files, this is not possible.

What Paf can transfer over in regards to some of the airfields and scenery is probably the limit.

On the performance side it seems the rof exes may have been related to the master server issues. People with previous issues saying it went away for them. Hopefully thats the case for everyone.

#24 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 07 March 2014 - 16:18

Stunning visuals guys!

#25 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 07 March 2014 - 17:03

Stunning visuals guys!

S!

yes it is !!!

I hope that this will be added to the stock game in the same manner as the Island map was.

Thank you very much.

btw, when will you have the Cambrai map done? ;)

sig9.png

#26 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 08 March 2014 - 21:59

Thank you all for the kind words! :)
La Bellevue is on the finishing line and will make appearance with the next version:

#27 Vichttal_7

Vichttal_7

Posted 09 March 2014 - 22:04

Great Mod. Will it be compatible with B-Career or is it only for missions and MP?

#28 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 10 March 2014 - 19:01

Great Mod. Will it be compatible with B-Career or is it only for missions and MP?

I doubt it will be initially, but Jason is pretty cool about working with these guys. Lets hope so eventually because these look so natural and realistic.

#29 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 13 March 2014 - 17:00

If airfields and the like are changed, plus summer only restriction, I imagine that B-Career would have the same issues as PWCG. To get it into a full war career mode:

1. Winter and autumn support would be needed.
2. Squadrons would have to be assigned to the new airfields
3. Front lines and ownership would have to be designated
4. The new airfields would have to be made such that AI could take off.

From what I see this would need fully committed incorporation into the game. I am not at all sure that it would be feasible to offer this as an option.

#30 Vichttal_7

Vichttal_7

Posted 13 March 2014 - 17:24

It´s a bit frustrating, having this Mod with all this work in it and not be able to see it in campaign. Any chance to implement only cities or some airfileds or textures in B?

#31 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 13 March 2014 - 18:02

Yes, to have it into a campaign, being ß-campaign or PWGC would be alot of work. Too much for 1.
It is a mission-template now. And it could be very much fun I imagine, if there are missions based on it or maybe even a campaign. I don't have the skills to do so though. The Bloody April event is running test in MP these days and I hope eveything worksout ok. Sofor coordinated MP its also a option.

For PWGC we are using hit for our Coop-Campaign. But obviously only for the summer time. So,you can use it, but its very limited and no replacement for any campaign-system.

#32 J5_Matthias

J5_Matthias

Posted 13 March 2014 - 18:29

So heres the simple truth. I'm not personally planning on doing any work specifically to make this compatible with the career mode or pwcg. There is frankly a ton of other stuff to work on. Might it get there eventually after years of Paf and I nibbling away at different improvements we both dream of? Maybe. Are there parts of this mod that could be retrofitted back into the standard 1918 map for campaigns? Probably. Would it get there faster if more people jumped in to assist in this project to that specific end? Yes it would.

Let me be clear, Im not insulting anyones desire to see this mod go further. Im encouraging you to step up to get something you want rather than sitting back and wishing. I knew nothing about modding this game 7 months ago and Im still a complete amateur compared to Paf. But I wanted a 1917 map and here it is, incomplete and imperfect, but a reality. Dont just live in reality. Learn to define it for yourself.

#33 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 13 March 2014 - 21:10

As Paf has said, we are using his work for our Squad based PWCG summer campaign, with much editing of PWCG campaign files. It works very well for what we want.

IMO, as there are no autumn/ Winter versions of the pack and that it is a Mod. I would not expect Pat to integrate it into PWCG or for the B Career to use it.

sig.png

#34 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:02

It is a tremendous achievement gentlemen! The attention to detail is unparalleled. :S!:

Three questions/observations. I ask because my install may have issues, perhaps others do not experience these artifacts…

1) At least at Lens, some of the row houses (those especially near the front) have a terrible underlying black shimmer when facing the sun. Perhaps buildings have been placed inside/overlap with other buildings and the overlapping textures are shimmering through?

2) Has the alpha channel been edited for roof reflections? I seem to remember somebody posting about editing alpha channel for this, maybe the terrain tile mod?

See left inset image below, when viewed at far distance some roofs are reflecting sun light, but when 'zoomed in' from the same aircraft-village distance the roof reflection disappears suddenly. This does not happen in unmodded RoF, or I haven't noticed???

3) Are the black trenches supposed to be there between the mud and Lens? I don't see them on other Lens screenshots posted here :(

#35 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:27

Amazing job. I am wondering how we can use it. Can the servers update their maps or this is only for SP?
"There will be honor enough for us all."

#36 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 23 March 2014 - 18:51

Bandy, no idea about the problem no.1.
The black trenches look abit weird on your screenshot. They are not that black for me in the game.
They are Vanders objects (maybe he knows something about it) and I used them to portray detail trenchlayout in Lens.

Seawulf, You can make a mission using the template that comes with the mod and play it solo or with friends when they have it enabled also.

#37 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 23 March 2014 - 22:03

Seawulf, You can make a mission using the template that comes with the mod and play it solo or with friends when they have it enabled also.

Cool, I'll try that out.
"There will be honor enough for us all."

#38 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 26 March 2014 - 13:45

I once started to write an instruction for adding Quick Mission mode for new maps - How to support Quick Mission for new maps

It is incomplete, but since there were no further interest I never continued it.

If anyone with some experience in mission building is willing to try adding QMB support for this mod I will perhaps be able to recall more details and provide better instructions.

#39 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 26 March 2014 - 22:09

Hmm.. interesting!
Maybe this evening I give it a try.

#40 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 27 March 2014 - 19:42

Ok,I have no experience in mission-building :(
All I was able to do is, the Arras Map is selectable in QMB and you can fly it with all the new textures.
The scenery is missing though, I blame this on the missions ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users