- - - - -

help needed for building static planes

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 lefuneste

lefuneste

Posted 25 February 2014 - 15:43

Hi,
I extracted 3 planes models from RoF (using ingame model Rip) and try to convert them to static blocks.
The idea is to be "fps friendly" with the plane models : less than 3000 faces and 512x512 textures (but it depends of LOD of model in RoF, the FE2b model has 7000 faces, and the nieuport only 1000 faces)
Here is a JSGME mod which install the 3 planes (albatrosD2, Fe2B, Nieuport 17) and a test mission: mod download
Each plane has 2 different version, one for a specific damage models (DM1&DM2).
The test mission will put you in a spad13 landed in front of the 6 models, after 20 seconds they will be shelled by howitzer. You can use F2 or F11 view to observe the planes.
I have two problems which prevent me to go further in static planes conversion (it should take one hour to make a static plane if everything is OK)

The planes seems indestructible !
They have damage models, but after heavy shelling, only the hangar behind them are destroyed !
Can someone look in the missions and plane parameters and tell me why ?

They are not as shinny as the original ones
I tried different things in 3DS material but did not succeed in making them shine.
Here is a model and its texture.
Attached File  albatrosD2.zip   654.19KB   32 downloads
Can someone look at them and help me to fix that ?

#2 Genius

Genius

Posted 25 February 2014 - 17:15

Hi,

Static object can't be destroy without entity in rof editor. But entity have a direct impact on fps.

For object with entity you can use game plane. I should prefer one Static object undestroy and one Static object destroy (but it is my opinion)

Bye

Genius

#3 lefuneste

lefuneste

Posted 25 February 2014 - 17:51

The static planes are already "linked entity" in the provided mission, but they are not destroyed..

#4 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 25 February 2014 - 21:03

They are not as shinny as the original ones
I tried different things in 3DS material but did not succeed in making them shine.
Here is a model and its texture.

Can someone look at them and help me to fix that ?

Try editing the 'Alpha' channel of the .dds file.

Your Original st_albatrosd2.dds

Your Original st_albatrosd2.dds and the 'Alpha' channel +60 lighter

Your Original st_albatrosd2.dds and the 'Alpha' channel +100 lighter

#5 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:11

+ 60 lighter looks good!

Can't wait for those static planes on airfields!! :P

#6 lefuneste

lefuneste

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:22

Great !
Genius give me some responses regarding the indestructible plane. I have to check but it seems that I have all the answers I was waiting for.
Many thanks.

The last thing will be to add holes in destroyed planes textures. As I am not an artist, I will leave this work to any volunteer (when the mod will be released)

#7 jeanba4

jeanba4

Posted 26 February 2014 - 16:06

I wish you luck : if you succeed, it will be a great addition to the game !

#8 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 26 February 2014 - 20:51

4 years waiting for this :shock: …so our bases doesn't look anymore like ghost airfields…

Never understood (and still don't) why ROF devs never took time to do what Lefuneste is doing right now.
That's more than a final artistic touch to our beautiful ROF world!

Now our bases will have static planes, soldiers, ground objects, water tower. 90% perfect!
10% remaining for some static trucks :mrgreen:

#9 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 26 February 2014 - 20:56

You have static trucks (alsosome planes!), thx to vander ;)

#10 lefuneste

lefuneste

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:02

Some news: thanks to the help of Genius and =AH=_Sid I made 4 planes fully functional as static object, each with 2 damage model (Nieuport 11&17, albatros DII, Fe2b). They do not have LOD levels because Genius found that LOD process only work for object with a size greater than 15 m !
As I am in a "try and check" logic, I lost a lot of time in false attempt. For example, I have to redo rolc2a and fokkere3 models because of problem in multi material handling in Rof…
The other problem is that some models have huge polys number, even when seen form very far. Some LOD seems not very optimized. For example in the Roland C2 or Fe2b the defensive weapon still have about 1000 polys when the plane is seen form 500 m !
So I have to spend some time to try to reduce the number of faces in the models, but there will be models with mode than 10 000 polys (especially for damaged ones).
I also do not have a lot of free time, so it will takes much more time that I though to cover the whole RoF planeset with static models…
When you know what to do, the process is not complicated. So I will release an "how to" documentation, in order to help anyone that want static plane to be able to made it itself. I hope that it will speedup the process.

#11 lefuneste

lefuneste

Posted 22 March 2014 - 13:33

V1.0 released: Static planes for RoF to populate airfields

#12 lefuneste

lefuneste

Posted 23 March 2014 - 15:12

I made a little tutorial here. (posted also in the "how to" section).

#13 =AH=_Sid

=AH=_Sid

Posted 23 March 2014 - 15:17

Great Work Image

#14 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 23 March 2014 - 16:48

Very good, nice trick!

#15 DaveSax

DaveSax

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:22

Sorry, folks, does anyone have a link to the ripper Lefuneste mentions in the first post, allowing you to extract models from the game ? I'd be very grateful if someone could send me a link as I'm a 3D modeller.

Cheers
Dave

#16 DaveSax

DaveSax

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:37

PS Got it worked out !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users