- - - - -

[MOD] RoF FWRL map mod IS OUT!!!

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#81 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 14 March 2014 - 20:23

You're welcome FlyingAce :S!:

While searching ingame towns and villages to add on map, i'm still correcting errors of original RoF names…like this big one:

Beaucamp west of Lille is in fact Beaucamps with an S, and beaucamp south of Lille is in fact Pont-a-Marcq…as it was correctly typed by devs in the mission editor! lol

I usually find quite easily the right places for names using the forest/wood and river/lake as accurate landmarks, because they are all matching reality very close (only 1 forest so far i found not existing neither nowadays or back in the 1850!)
Also roads are good clues/indications too, for towns placement.

Other big errors are in the far North towns placement.
All what we see above Groogland (wich in fact is Droogland) is wrong placement…but i can't correct it as i don't change airfields placement or names —> it could be confusing for career briefings!

Don't get me wrong, i can say 90% of map is still very accurate, and i'm amazed of such fidelity! :)

PS: also changed Paris-Bruxelles-Luxembourg-Liege major cities rendering for version 2…
It will match what we have for Lille-Amiens etc…just bigger!

#82 Arfsix

Arfsix
  • LocationGalveston, Texas USA

Posted 15 March 2014 - 00:13

=Fifi=
Thank you for all the work! I am using your Ver.1 and it is working fine.
I would like to print out the whole map or maybe just portions to have a paper copy for flight planning and to follow during the mission. Do you know the scale of your map? The original was scaled to 1 centemeter on the map equals 7 kilometers on the ground.

:S!:

The heavens were the grandstands and only the gods were spectators. The stake was the world, the forfeit was the player's place at the table, and the game had no recess. It was the most dangerous of all sports and the most fascinating. It got in the blood like wine. It aged men forty years in forty days. It ruined nervous systems in an hour. -- Elliott White Springs, 13 Victories

#83 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:48

Hi Arfsfx,

I didn't change the RoF map scale. It's still the original!

But if i was you, i would wait for version 2. Much better, and almost all the towns villages you can see ingame!
Even 80% of the farms! (simulating the real small villages)

#84 Arfsix

Arfsix
  • LocationGalveston, Texas USA

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:33

=Fifi=
Thanks for the scale information. I will wait for your completed map to put together a map for printing. I take the 1024 x 1024 DDS map tiles and align them using a free ware program called paint.net (works like photoshop) and save the result for printing either the full map or parts of the map as necessary.

Where did you find the original DDS file or did you produce them?

Thank you :D

The heavens were the grandstands and only the gods were spectators. The stake was the world, the forfeit was the player's place at the table, and the game had no recess. It was the most dangerous of all sports and the most fascinating. It got in the blood like wine. It aged men forty years in forty days. It ruined nervous systems in an hour. -- Elliott White Springs, 13 Victories

#85 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:53

Original dds files were extracted from game with ungtp.

#86 Oscar17

Oscar17

Posted 15 March 2014 - 17:53

using a typewriter in cartography is essentialy like this art restauration: not working too well and full of tragic absurdity to the professional

I will let you the oportunity of the full art restauration Dr Zebra.

After further research, there is no single rule for cartography font of this time.
It even seems there are as many font as maps editors…
I've seen maps using serif fonts, sans serif, old style almost like hand writing, more modern look sans serif, typewriter looking ect…

I'm not going to make them all to satisfy everyone taste unfortunately.
My last attempt with the 1913 font will close what we can see on this 1914 ordnance survey map:

I've typed same words as "VERDUN" and "Landrecourt" to see difference, but my 1913 font is so close it's amazing.
So i will keep on going with this font, mind you.

As on the pict above, i will use different letter size in regard of town size.
Capital letters for important towns, small letters for normal towns, and smaller letters for villages.
Forts could be typed in italic, even if they are not like that on pict above…but just to differenciate them of the rest.

Do you have a larger version of this specific map… Say Metz - Nancy - Bar-de-Luc - Verdun area?

#87 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 15 March 2014 - 21:49

Hi Oscar,

Nope, i don't have any. The one you see is coming from an antic auction sale web site.
Original 1914 ordnance maps are quite rare.

Only thing you could use, is older ordnance map avalaible on the web covering the whole France area.
I'm using it to make my mod, when i need to find a town/village/wood wich has disappeared on nowadays map…but it's around 60 years older than 1914…
Interesting also to check names wich could have been changed nowaday.
It's on Geoportail site, only in French: Geoportail
You have to clic on "unfold the map", when on main page:

Here is how it works.
Focusing on an IGN very detailed today map area:

With one clic, i can change for 1860 ordnance map, at same area:

You have an icon for printing the map area, on top right hand.
Maybe it could help you…

#88 Oscar17

Oscar17

Posted 16 March 2014 - 16:59

Thanks very much. Will give those a look using your instructions…..

#89 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 18 March 2014 - 00:12

As a head up, can tell you next version will be more meticulous.
I'm particularily focusing on font and names placement in regard of forest shapes.
Also found many more misspelling towns errors on stock map, that i'm solving while adding all the existing ingame villages.

That's even a more crazy work than version 1, cause there are tons of ingame farms figuring small villages.
I have to find them on ME, then add them on map at exact place, then find them on IGN map…
Half of time, they are at the exact real life place, but others aren't. Not by far anyway, just like 500m off sometime. So i prefer not changing their placement in regard of game (important for navigation) but some villages might be a little off in regard of real place.
Other few times, i don't find any real village at the ingame placement…so i opted for just ignoring those few not existing villages (even not existing on 1860 map).

Doing all that, work is going very slower than version 1, so be patient…only done 48 square map of the all 144! (furthermore in 2 versions, one normal - one old look)
Normal version has evolved with a 100% new nice font, between classical and hand writing.
Old look version will be as on my last preview picture, 1913 typewriting alike, and less dark.
All names are 100% redone, even stock cities names.

#90 Pointy

Pointy

Posted 18 March 2014 - 00:51

Superb mate.

#91 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:13

Still slowly advancing in work… ;)

As i'm meticulously figuring all the ingame villages on real map, noticed plenty stock towns placement errors :( (vanilla game map)
Not going to change their place on my map mod, because it could give us confused navigation errors while ingame.
But was able, very few time, to correct their names in regard of real towns placement.
I'm doing that only for non airfields towns of course…because it could be also confusing in regard of briefings :)

I also noticed some strange placement differencies, between a bunch of squared maps.
Like if it wasn't the same guy who made this work…or maybe he was tired sometimes! :mrgreen:
Some of the squared map are very precise in village placement, hence i easily find the real names…while others are vague, unprecise or completely off.
Of course, when the village is completely off, or not existing, i just ignore it (maybe 10%).
Many times, when the village doesn't exist on real map, guess what i find at his place?…a british cemetery! Weird, but makes me smile few times…

#92 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:55

Hello FiFi,

Brilliant work, many thanks.

When you are using the map and make it smaller the detail you have put in disappears.
Can this be made to do it at a greater height?
What I mean is this: When I have the map minimized and use the mouse scroll to get a larger view, your detail disappears.
Can this be made to happen so that you don't have to be so close to the map to get your detail?

Cheers,
Spag. :)

Bite off more than you can chew.

Then chew like Hell ! ! !

#93 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:29

Hi Spag,
Unfortunately not yet. It's probably doable, but don't know yet exactely how.
I have an idea, but my photoshop typing will be still unreadable full zoom out.
On other hand, i like the idea of zooming to get names details :)
I have solved the paper color not appearing when not zoomed, that's a first good step though…

#94 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:26

Hello FiFi,
Thanks.
I am sorta getting used to having the map up so close.
It doesn't need to be readable at full zoom out, just a little bit more than what it is now.
No complaints here, just queries.
Thanks again FiFi, its a brilliantly good map you have created.
Cheers,

#95 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:46

Thanks Spag.
Next version will be more precise, nicer fonts and colors, and globally better done.

#96 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:23

Several villages, especially in or near the no man's land, disappeared completely during the war. And the habitants never came back.

#97 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:51

Just want to add my sincere thanks for your effort in doing this - a very nice addition to our little addiction.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#98 josef_baran

josef_baran

Posted 22 March 2014 - 17:23

yes, thanks very much :) !

i have not tried your mod yet fifi, waiting for your final version

however, by coincidence my brother called me today (he is in central canada and i am on the west coast) and asked if i could drive across the city here and pick up some 'free' world war one books for him … he is an avid ww1 and ww2 historian

at any rate this am i picked up volumes 1 to 7 of 'the illustrated war news' and about 15 or so volumes of 'The Times' History of the War

thousands of pages with lots of maps … and i believe both sets of books were published during the 1914 - 1918 period

so if you are interested i could scan some examples of those maps in too and post them or send to you as reference

cheers, and again thanks for the great work

Ron

#99 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:51

Several villages, especially in or near the no man's land, disappeared completely during the war. And the habitants never came back.

Absolutely! And some villages were not even rebuilted after the war…but fortunately, they are mentioned on IGN map (as destroyed)
In RoF, they are existing ingame so i'll name them on map.

Just want to add my sincere thanks for your effort in doing this - a very nice addition to our little addiction.

Thank you Unreasonable :S!:

i have not tried your mod yet fifi, waiting for your final version

Good choice too :D
Go ahead, if you wanna post some map example…but at this advancement point, i think i'm not going to start over again for any change :xx:

#100 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 25 March 2014 - 22:34

New head up…

In version 1, a squared map took me more or less 1 hour to build…in version 2, a squared map like the one below takes me…around 4 hours to figure out new villages and add them, check and correct all stock cities names, erase and re-type all cities names, figure out best names placement and configuration above woods shapes etc…

So i have done half of the huge map, and with this time consuming new version, you'll have to wait a little longer i'm afraid :)

PS: of course, all the villages i added on map are existing both ingame and in real :)
Sometime, they are only an existing farm.

#101 pollux18

pollux18

Posted 25 March 2014 - 22:54

Pas grave, prend ton temps, on attendra patiemment ;)

Le résultat semble prometteur, c'est l'essentiel.
"Il faut préférer la modestie de ceux qui s'associent pour combattre aux triomphes passagers de celui qui s'isole."

Cdt De Rose

#102 Genius

Genius

Posted 25 March 2014 - 23:48

Ouah ! Beau boulot, courage pour la suite !

Great Works, Good luck !

Genius

P.S. A tout hasard, te serait-il possible de sortir une carte (de ta version dispo) en format pdf ? si trop volumineux (la ROF_ICE_Map_Front fait 12 Mo) le cadre A1/C3 m'interesse particulièrement (BA IV) :mrgreen:

#103 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 26 March 2014 - 00:57

Merci les amis!

Oui Genius, je prévoie de sortir quelque chose (je ne sais pas encore sous quel format) figurant un assemblage de la ligne de front, afin de pouvoir l'imprimer.
Mais il faut déja que je finisse l'autre moitié de la grande carte qu'il me reste a faire ;)

Yes Genius, i plan to release something (don't know the format yet) figuring only the front line and around, so it could be printed.
But i have yet to finish the other half of big map still on work table.

#104 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:12

Hi Fifi,

At first I kept forgetting to tell you that I can't get your map to work for me…

I even reinstalled it and checked my JSGME on it to see if I had aimed it wrong…

Then, I finally moved off the Channel map where I almost always fly for Belgium, and duh…

IT WORKS!

Thank you. It is just great. I'm using "v1 old" and I love the aged paper look. The fonts look great. Everything about it looks great! This is a huge effort on your part and a great contribution to RoF :S!:

#105 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:48

Thanks Buck :S!:

Changed my mind about the font of future old version…
In fact, progressing further on, i realised the typewriter 1913 font really don't match the woods shapes, and is barely readable when bending it on top of woods shapes :(

So i will release same font of future normal version (wich fits perfectly woods shapes) but with old paper look.
Like that:

#106 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 March 2014 - 21:30

That looks stunning FiFi.
Well done.
Cheers,

#107 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 30 March 2014 - 23:46

Thanks mate :)

I think i will add a legend, or will mention something for English natives (or non French readers).
For instance, the the bigger "." on map are figuring towns with "hard" or "big" houses.
The smaller "." are figuring very small villages or only farms.
When the name is followed by "Ferme", or preceded by "Ferme", it means it's only a farm (or a group of farms).
When you can read "Moulin xx", or "xx Moulin", it's a windmill location.
Of course it's not only on map, expect to see it ingame… :)

#108 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:56

Hello FiFi,
A legend would be a great addition for us non-frenchies.
Cheers,

#109 pollux18

pollux18

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:23

Vraiment hâte de voir le travail final… ;)
"Il faut préférer la modestie de ceux qui s'associent pour combattre aux triomphes passagers de celui qui s'isole."

Cdt De Rose

#110 Oscar17

Oscar17

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:56

This version has my vote!

#111 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 31 March 2014 - 20:33

Vraiment hâte de voir le travail final… ;)

Moi aussi!

113 maps done…

#112 Ztenis

Ztenis

Posted 01 April 2014 - 14:00

Looking great :S!:

#113 pollux18

pollux18

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:35

Alors Fifi, quoi de neuf ?

Cdt De Rose

#114 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 24 April 2014 - 20:15

Alors Fifi, quoi de neuf ?

La version 2 se poursuit doucement, principalement dû aux tribulations de la vie réelle.
Mais je n'abandonne pas!…juste que la production de cartes a ralentie a environ 1 par jour. :)

Version 2 is still on his way, but slowed down due to real life. I don't give up, just the map production is around 1 per day…

#115 Dauntless1

Dauntless1

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:40

#116 pollux18

pollux18

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:43

Merci pour l'info.

Je sais que je suis un peu impatient car je ne joue plus qu'avec ton mod V1.

Bon courage :S!:

Cdt De Rose

#117 pollux18

pollux18

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:46

Salut Fifi, j'ai quelque chose qui pourrait éventuellement t'intéresser dans ton travail.

L'IGN vient de mettre en vente en l'honneur du centenaire une carte papier spécial 14/18 retraçant le front à différente période de la guerre. Sont également reporté les lieux des différentes batailles ainsi que les monuments et mémorial à visiter.

le site de l'IGN: http://loisirs.ign.f...-1914-1918.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://loisirs.ign.f...-1914-1918.html

Sur Amazon: http://www.amazon.fr...=ign centenaire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.fr...14-GRANDE-GUERR … centenaire

Cdt De Rose

#118 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 12 May 2014 - 13:51

Thank you pollux, ordered.

#119 JimmyBlonde

JimmyBlonde

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:00

This is fantastic stuff Fifi! One of my subs linked me to it and I'll be using this mod in my next Let's Play vid.

#120 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 28 July 2014 - 15:43

Fifi,

What's the status of this Map Mod? Is version 1.0 completed, but 2.0 is in the works? I want to add it to ROFMODS.

Jason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users