Finally mod is out!!! :x :x :xx:

See first post for download!

Any comments (good or bad) are welcome! :S!:

#42 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:44

This is a lot of work, so many thanks for community effort. :S!:

Constructive critique: is it too late to change the text font to something that looks more true to maps from this historic period, rather than a modern sans-serif?

For me that was a big part of creating the printable maps, to make them look more appropriate to a cockpit environment. Keep all the information, yes, but changing the font really makes a difference to the feel of a map. Then again, could be personal preference.

#43 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:10

Yes Bandy, was wondering same thing at first…
But looking at real 1917 map, font is quite basic:

…but no colored, all black (for names).
I thought it would be too much black because of so many names on whole map.
That's why i took the liberty to give green forets names and blue rivers/lakes names…more easy to figure out at first glance as well!

I could change the font for old looking black one (huge work cause i just stupidly lost all my PSD :evil: ) but not sure my fonts would be more historicaly accurate anyway…

Still thing about that…

#44 Koziolek

Koziolek

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:36

Thank you Fifi, that is great :S!:

I am amazed how much work you put into it

I have a few questions though:

1. Is it JSGME compatible? For me it works only when I manually put files into the game

big to print it separately

3. Is it possible to retain the old look of map with the zoom out? I mean just the colour. The sudden change of colour is … too sudden :)

#45 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:58

Hi, Koziolek,

1 IMO, it can work only with JSGME. But somone can correct me if i'm wrong…

2 Assuming you use photoshop, you always can put together any set of selected small maps.
Each one is 1024X1024, so you'll need to resize them as Bandy probably did.

3 I don't know yet :?

#46 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:01

Old map didnt work in JSME for me. D/ling new one now. Will report back

#47 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:12

Don't know why your JSGME doesn't work Windy…here all is fine.

If not using JSGME, you can try to manually put the whole "map" folder (the one inside data/swf) into your RoF/data/swf.
It should work.

#48 Koziolek

Koziolek

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:32

OK it works in JSGME now.

When I extracted it, Windows added another folder to it so I had:
FWRL_OldLook_V1 - FWRL_OldLook_V1 -data …
I had to remove the first folder before adding it to JSGME and now it works fine

#49 Koziolek

Koziolek

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:42

I just noticed one thing.

I'm trying to put together your puzzle :). It fits perfectly, roads, forests etc. but the creases on the old map dont't match

I don't know how you put the "old" texture onto the map, but it looks like you did it separately to every 1024x1024 piece of it

Maybe it would be possible to "age" the whole map and then cut it into pieces?

#50 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:37

Thank you Fifi.. excellent work

#51 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:39

Thanks Trooper.

It fits perfectly, roads, forests etc. but the creases on the old map dont't match

I don't know how you put the "old" texture onto the map, but it looks like you did it separately to every 1024x1024 piece of it

Maybe it would be possible to "age" the whole map and then cut it into pieces?

Nope. Whole map too big. There are 144 1024X1024 pictures…
The creases are to simulate a many time folded map.
(If the creases are big problem, there is a normal map :) )

#52 lederhosen

lederhosen

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:49

I love it

#53 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:14

Great stuff! A BIG Thank you Fifi!!

#54 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:16

Hello FiFi,
Thankyou so much, I have just had a quick look at the old version that you have done and it is brilliant.
Again, thankyou for helping to increase the immersion in this sim.
Cheers,
Spag. :)

Bite off more than you can chew.

Then chew like Hell ! ! !

#55 Koziolek

Koziolek

Posted 10 March 2014 - 13:50

Nope. Whole map too big. There are 144 1024X1024 pictures…
The creases are to simulate a many time folded map.
(If the creases are big problem, there is a normal map :) )

No problem at all :) I just thought it would be easy, but if it's not I will use the normal map for printing and the old one for cockpit

BTW. I've just connected normal map into one big map. If someone is interested I can upload it. It is in .psd and .jpeg formats

#56 Koziolek

Koziolek

Posted 10 March 2014 - 17:27

This is a lot of work, so many thanks for community effort. :S!:

Constructive critique: is it too late to change the text font to something that looks more true to maps from this historic period, rather than a modern sans-serif?

For me that was a big part of creating the printable maps, to make them look more appropriate to a cockpit environment. Keep all the information, yes, but changing the font really makes a difference to the feel of a map. Then again, could be personal preference.

I agree with that, tried to make Fifi's map printable. Looks like this:
I tried to make them in similar size for comparison

This is the "old looking" map, no changes. When printed is very dark and unreadable

This is normal map, which I tried to lighten, add more saturation etc., because the original is still too dark after print

and finally Bandy's ROF map

IMHO of this three maps, Bandy's is best for printing. Fifi's maps are great for ingame use, but I think the names of the cities are to small.
I can live with the small print of the small forests ( there no way to fit anything bigger) but the cities/villages could be bigger.Like in Bandy's maps
If it is of course possible?

#57 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 10 March 2014 - 19:31

Engravers by Adobe is an appropriate font.

#58 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 10 March 2014 - 19:58

The size of cities names are the same as the stock map for ingame purpose.
Bandy probably re-typed them for printable purpose…
If i increase size, it's gonna be ugly ingame, and at first, this mod is for ingame purpose ;)
Sorry Koziolek.

Has anyone noticed where was the Big Bertha cannon place and the Kronprince shelter historical place? :)

On side note, about the no man's land destroyed cities we can see ingame, i tried to add them on map exactly at the right ingame place.
But searching on IGN detailed map to name them, at least half of them were slightly a bit off (not by far though).
Don't know who added them ingame, but it was less precise than first released cities, even though i found also few misplacement :mrgreen
I had the possibility to correct such placement on map, but opted for what we can see ingame rather than precise position.
Had sometime to find good compromise for best navigation.

You mean please?

#59 pollux18

pollux18

Posted 10 March 2014 - 22:35

Merci Fifi, je le télécharge ce soir et je le testerais mercredi.

PS:Bon en faite, j'ai pas pus résister avant d'aller me coucher et je viens de tester… :D :D :D

Le rendu est vraiment sympa et ça fait plaisir de savoir au dessus de quoi on vol.

Merci. :S!:
"Il faut préférer la modestie de ceux qui s'associent pour combattre aux triomphes passagers de celui qui s'isole."

Cdt De Rose

#60 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 10 March 2014 - 23:52

Merci Pollux, c'est vrai que la nav est plus sympa comme ça. :S!:

About the map font and the global rendering (except old paper), the possibilities are completely endless… :geek:

First, i would not like to change the original RoF cities font name.
Then, for version 2 of FWRL, i could eventually change the whole font names and/or colors i've added at first.

Now, question is what would be best? (if you really don't like version 1)
Endless possibilities!…

For test, i made 3 screens.
First pict is FWRL V1:

Second is like hand writing but all fonts same color as RoF cities names:

Third is using regular map/text printing around WW1 time, but with rivers/lakes names in a closer blue as RoF rivers:

I could eventually bend some names to fit better the forest shape, as we can see on 2nd and 3rd pict…but i'm not sure it was very common in 1917.

Not that easy to find the right rendering, and to satisfy everybody :?
So what would you prefer?
(I'm not going to do it many times :mrgreen: and perso i tend to prefer the last pict)

Last question, beside the fact i will add missing towns/villages existing ingame, is do you want me to add all the railway stations?
Could be just a little icon, with or without name, depending what i find on IGN map…

#61 W1ndy

W1ndy

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:15

I like the last one and the middle one. All good actually.

BTW I got my install working. JSME was installed in the wrong place

Now all working , thanks.

#62 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:56

Think i found something very interesting :)

For the ultimate old look, what about this 1913 original printer font?
I will change all the names, even stock cities names, for this font –>

How do you like final result?
I will only give rivers/lakes a blue color, as on original 1917 maps…

#63 josef_baran

josef_baran

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:21

yes fifi much better font … well done!
i was thinking of mentioning this the other day but u beat me to it

great work - thank you!

#64 Koziolek

Koziolek

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:09

Your maps Fifi, are for me exactly the case of: " if it ain't broke, don't fix it" :)

I'm all for adding missing places, (adding trainstations is a great idea), but I would not change much more

I like the original fonts and colours, blue for water, green for forests and black for cities
Secondly I prefer " a handwritten" font

The only thing I would change is the colour of the old map. I don't have any maps from WWI but I own a few books from late twenties and all of them are not that dark. Even the darkest one ;) More yellowish maybie

#65 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 11 March 2014 - 14:07

Had sometime to find good compromise for best navigation.

You mean please?

I was merely offering that the "engravers" font is a good cheap early 20th century font type.

http://fontsgeek.com...vers-MT-Regular" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://fontsgeek.com...vers-MT-Regular

#66 pippin

pippin

Posted 11 March 2014 - 14:58

100% YES!! on the typed font looks excellent in your preview.
And thanks for all your hard work.

Ian

#67 Der.Mo

Der.Mo

Posted 11 March 2014 - 15:19

Yes, excellent! I like the new fonts!

#68 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 11 March 2014 - 19:42

very nice.. however, as a bit of a historical map-affictionado, I hate the typewriter print.. Yes, I even have personal experiences with making a map and typwriters, and you NEVER NEVER NEVER would have wanted to feed your map through the paperfeeding woes of said machines.. even worse in alternating angles to write next to a terrain feature. The diehard cartographers might burn you on the stake for even trying ;=)

#69 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 11 March 2014 - 19:45

I like it very much. Better the version without typewriter for me.
Although no flightmap, most maps ive seen from this era have some nice "modern" looking font.

The diehard cartographers might burn you on the stake for even trying ;=)
:lol:

#70 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 11 March 2014 - 20:17

you NEVER NEVER NEVER would have wanted to feed your map through the paperfeeding woes of said machines.. even worse in alternating angles to write next to a terrain feature.

Could you explain more, please, i don't see what you mean :oops:

I like it very much. Better the version without typewriter for me.
Although no flightmap, most maps ive seen from this era have some nice "modern" looking font.

I could easily release 2 font version of FWRL to satisfy anyone…
I really like the 1913 typewriter, so i think i'll make it anyway :mrgreen:
But i can find (or you send it to me) a more "modern" looking font as per your wish.
(as i can see on your pict, it's like original RoF cities names?)

#71 Koziolek

Koziolek

Posted 11 March 2014 - 23:04

I could easily release 2 font version of FWRL to satisfy anyone…

If you want to satisfy everyone, add two zeros to that number :lol:

#72 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 12 March 2014 - 00:43

you NEVER NEVER NEVER would have wanted to feed your map through the paperfeeding woes of said machines.. even worse in alternating angles to write next to a terrain feature.

Could you explain more, please, i don't see what you mean :oops:

using a typewriter in cartography is essentialy like this art restauration: not working too well and full of tragic absurdity to the professional

Attached Files

#73 pippin

pippin

Posted 12 March 2014 - 21:56

Dr Zeb,
love your post that was one of the best (funniest) news stories of 2013. At the time I had a great laugh at this. But on reflection is it really that bad… Its the feeling that went into it that counts.

Ian

#74 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 12 March 2014 - 22:15

using a typewriter in cartography is essentialy like this art restauration: not working too well and full of tragic absurdity to the professional

I will let you the oportunity of the full art restauration Dr Zebra.

After further research, there is no single rule for cartography font of this time.
It even seems there are as many font as maps editors…
I've seen maps using serif fonts, sans serif, old style almost like hand writing, more modern look sans serif, typewriter looking ect…

I'm not going to make them all to satisfy everyone taste unfortunately.
My last attempt with the 1913 font will close what we can see on this 1914 ordnance survey map:

I've typed same words as "VERDUN" and "Landrecourt" to see difference, but my 1913 font is so close it's amazing.
So i will keep on going with this font, mind you.

As on the pict above, i will use different letter size in regard of town size.
Capital letters for important towns, small letters for normal towns, and smaller letters for villages.
Forts could be typed in italic, even if they are not like that on pict above…but just to differenciate them of the rest.

:S!:

#75 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 13 March 2014 - 18:24

After further research, there is no single rule for cartography font of this time.
It even seems there are as many font as maps editors…
I've seen maps using serif fonts, sans serif, old style almost like hand writing, more modern look sans serif, typewriter looking ect…

Don´t get me wrong, I did not wanted to downtalk your mod and effort, I apreciate your work!

The font in itself is good, but the uneven, typwritish color distribution (the which is the recognisable reference to the mechanical device "typwriter") isn´t for me, as a typewriter is a machine totally unsuitable for making maps (in paperfeed,printing mechanism and letter alignment)

#76 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 13 March 2014 - 20:16

That's ok Zeb :)

The 2 next incoming versions should be much better than V1.
Found all ingame existing towns that was missing, decreased size of forts icons to match the camps icons, adjusted all names to fit better the map woods and rivers, and lightened the old paper effect as some have suggested (for the old look version)

On side note, i suddently realised something i never thought about:
- All the farms we can see everywhere ingame, are in fact to symbolise real small villages!
Always thought they were only farms that devs placed everywhere in a random way for the scenary beauty… :oops:

So i'm planning to add them all, and find their respective names.
Still a huge work on the table, but be patient and stay tuned :S!:

#77 pollux18

pollux18

Posted 13 March 2014 - 22:31

J'ai pu profiter de ton mod hier soir sur une mini coop et encore une fois je trouve cela très plaisant de voler et combattre au dessus d'un champ de bataille aussi bien détaillé.

Très agréable.

Bon courage pour la suite :S!:
"Il faut préférer la modestie de ceux qui s'associent pour combattre aux triomphes passagers de celui qui s'isole."

Cdt De Rose

#78 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:43

Merci Pollux! La suite se presente bien :S!:

3. Is it possible to retain the old look of map with the zoom out? I mean just the colour. The sudden change of colour is … too sudden :)

SOLVED!! :D

#79 Koziolek

Koziolek

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:33

Merci Pollux! La suite se presente bien :S!:

SOLVED!! :D

Merci :)

#80 WWIFlyingAce

WWIFlyingAce

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:09

Fifi…Thanks for the work! I enjoy the "new old" look!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users