Photo
- - - - -

How to get started with PWCG for best immersion (IMO)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:26

Hi all;

Just a quick head up for new comers (or old ones) to fully enjoy Pat's fantastic work, in few mouse clics.

It is based on my actual PWCG settings, giving me the best flying and fighting experience i ever had with ROF.
Of course you can change them, for a personal taste matter!

1)

Download PWCG here: www.pwcampaigngenerator.com/WebSite/PWCG.html
Once unzipped, drop it in your main ROF folder, or activate it via JSGME.
It should look like that:

2)

Once launched, you access PWCG main page.
- First, select the planes you own, and clic "accept".
- Second, access the "configuration" window, and adjust your music volume, background noises volume, font size for texts etc…
(keep in mind font size can mess up some windows text if too big! - best is to leave it, or raise a little bit)

- Third, create a new pilot by clicking the right window flags "new".
Type your pilot name and choose the starting date, squadron etc…
Don't forget to clic "create" on up right hand window!

3)

In your new pilot's page:

…clic "simple config" and set as you want.
Medium Air/Medium Ground/High Structure are my settings, and love it.
Plenty action, not too much just perfect.
See if your PC can handle it!

…clic "Accept"!

4)

Clic "Advanced Config" in pilot's main page, access the pages below and change as follow (if you want!):

Don't forget to clic "Accept" before leaving the Advanced Config!

5)

Assuming you have JSGME correctly installed for ROF, now the "must have" mods to greatly enhance PWCG experience!
Those are the ones i couldn't play SP without, but of course you can choose others!

I have uploaded them on my Mediafire, for best convenience, and some are modified.
They are JSGME ready, just unzip them on desktop, and drop them in your MODS folder.

- AI Pilots (criquet,reflected&gavagai) www.mediafire.com/download/l2jyzclyg2ga6ot/AI_Pilots_(criquet,reflected&gavagai).zip

- Terrain Texture Mod (Fubar-modified autumn trees) www.mediafire.com/download/q52pi98fdkvku6y/Terrain_Texture_Mod_(Fubar-modified_autumn_trees).zip

- Terrain Bump beta modified fifi (because had trouble running Ankor's stock mod - only rivers banks are enhanced) www.mediafire.com/download/yg1bo2muuf6n07b/Terrain_Bump_beta_modified_fifi.zip

- Reduce Lethality (gavagai) www.mediafire.com/download/j9asb3043ymujba/Reduce_Lethality_(gavagai).zip

- Flak and Artillery mod www.mediafire.com/download/1p9kfg9fdrgqzce/Flak_and_Artillery_mod.zip

- RoF_Gunner_Positions_mod_1.032 www.mediafire.com/download/tudbuyfnucgin8g/RoF_Gunner_Positions_mod_1.032.zip

NOTE: the above list of mod is in the correct order of activation.
If one is conflicting, clic yes accept!

Few pictures with the mods:

Autumn trees are without leaf

Flak X10 beeing activated in PWCG, with the Flak and Artillery mod, number of burst are slightly decreased (something like X7)
It's now possible to survive Flak/Archie, but beware!

Approaching no man's land ground, the hell feeling is enhanced.
Plenty of nice explosions everywhere, and the feeling "there is a war out there" is true!
(i only captured one, but there are a lot more)

AI pilot mod greatly enhance the AI flying, and novices can be bounced now.
With Reduce Lethality mod, we now have to close up and aim for pilot or engine. Planes are no longer loosing wings for few holes! Way more accurate IMO.
RoF_Gunner_Positions_mod_1.032 solve the problem of gunner not seating down after action, and correct the turrets mouvment.

TIPS:

- Best is to play PWCG off line (without loggin to master server)
Recently lost a career, because ran out of connection with master server, and in briefing page was captured even landed on my side! (playing DID —> career over)

- You can make your ROF viewer sticky to the windows task bar. This way you can access it each time you need to view a PWCG skin, in the pilot skin page!

- By default, AI are not landing when back home. They circle above airfield to avoid the ROF crash issue in hangars etc…
But you can nevertheless force them to land, by clicking the widgets "return to base"…most often they will crash and you will loose those pilots.
So best is to land yourself, finish mission and forget about others, to save their life!

Enjoy now :S!:

#2 Russkly

Russkly

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:45

Nice guide, Fifi.

I didn't have some of those mods, so I'll be trying them out today (although not the autumn one in my April 1918 Jasta 7 career!).

Might try some of your campaign settings too.

S!

R

#3 josef_baran

josef_baran

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:21

well done fifi
thanks!

#4 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:02

Thanks Fifi! What does "structure" stand for exactly?

#5 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:50

Thanks Fifi! What does "structure" stand for exactly?

I think it's about the map buildings, villages towns etc…
Set on high you should get them all.
Pat will correct me if i'm wrong ;)

#6 Lanzfeld

Lanzfeld

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:09

Not to derail but this is a good thread to ask:

I don't see pics above just yellow boxes. How do I fix that?

Thanks

#7 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 05 February 2014 - 20:23

Not to derail but this is a good thread to ask:

I don't see pics above just yellow boxes. How do I fix that?

Thanks

It could come from your navigator?
Others seems to be able to see them :?

#8 Barkhorn1x

Barkhorn1x

Posted 05 February 2014 - 21:52

Well done Fifi.

#9 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 05 February 2014 - 23:45

Very good stuff, plus a couple of things I didn't know there! Many thanks :)

#10 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 06 February 2014 - 00:13

You are welcome :S!:

Other little tip i just figured out:

In the PWCG skin assignement page, easy way to visualise skins that are listed on the right, is to make your ROF Viewer (location in Bin_Viewer/release/UserViewer) as sticky to your task bar, and open it when in PWCG skin page!
As below:

#11 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 06 February 2014 - 00:15

:D Very good idea… loving the fact that I can apply different individual skins to all my flight!

#12 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:05

Yes, this is a great posting idea, Fifi!

And you (or someone) should bump it every once in a while to keep it on the first page so new players will always be able to find it :)

#13 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:22

Is it a placebo, or is it the gunner mod? Finally not every attack on a 2 seater ends with my engine being shot up. You still have to be careful, but it's not a star wars episode anymore.

The flak is amazing…all those puffs and bangs, top shelf immersion. They also help spotting e/a.

#14 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:57

Yes Greg, it's the gunner position mod.
It slows the turrets movment to something more accurate, and is more difficult for gunner to shoot at some angles…hence the less deadly accurate shots :)
Nevertheless, beware you can still beeing wounded though!
It's also valable when player take the turret control, not only for AIs…

Flying over no man's land is quite fantastic now. There is a war going on there!
I love it this way!
Have you tried the recon missions where you have to support ground troops?
Or spot ennemy attacks on our trenches?
Damn, it's so well done with plenty action!
Ground gunners are very dangerous too! (like MVR made the bad experience in RL)

#15 Lanzfeld

Lanzfeld

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:35

Fifi,

What is difference between your "Flak and Arty Mod" and "More Active Front With No Ambient Flak Mod"?

#16 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 07 February 2014 - 20:54

Fifi,

What is difference between your "Flak and Arty Mod" and "More Active Front With No Ambient Flak Mod"?

Hm…to me, main difference is Flak and Arty mod make change to the AA. Not the other one (apart from ambient Flak).
First one slightly change the rate of fire (when using PWCG Flak X10, it seems it's decrease to something like X7) and change the deadly accuracy of AA to something more historical, less deadly. A lot less direct hits.
Furthermore, the Flak and Arty mod is made to give AA an altitude accuracy tweaked (tree top flying less dangerous - medium altitudes dangerous - high altitudes less dangerous)

With second one, you don't have ambient Flak anymore at all, while with first mod ambient Flak is just showing and following the plane flight path through front line.
Meaning where a plane is, there is ambiant Flak, and no other place.
This simulate very well AA firing at a plane WITHOUT the need to spawn real AA objects. Good for saving PC performances, and adding more immersion!
This added to Flak X10 (when a real AA object spawn) gives a hell of experience when crossing lines!

Last, both mods are enhancing a more active front, with many artillery explosions everywhere, many visual and sounds added, to simulate tons of shells falling from sky.

To conclude, both mods are well done, but i much prefer the Flak and Arty mod mainly because i don't die each time i encounter AA :mrgreen:
As to what i readed about WW1, and as what statistics showed.

#17 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 07 February 2014 - 22:08

Fifi, at the moment I am using ROF refined 1.0 alacarte & More Active Front with No Ambient Flak & I'm wondering if the list you have up there is covered by this or perhaps improves or supersedes it?

Always been somewhat baffled by mods!

Spammers are not my thing...except for the one with the massive k******s. I was impressed with that one.

#18 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 07 February 2014 - 22:27

Fifi, at the moment I am using ROF refined 1.0 alacarte & More Active Front with No Ambient Flak & I'm wondering if the list you have up there is covered by this or perhaps improves or supersedes it?

Always been somewhat baffled by mods!

All my mods are coming from ROF refined a la carte, except the Flak and Artillery mod (and the 2 others i have adjusted - but base comes same place)

You can give a try if you want, by deactivating More active front, and replace by Flak and Artillery mod, and see what you prefer ;)
Don't know your mods list order, but best in that case would be to activate F&A mod last.

#19 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:35

Added a tip section in first post :S!:

#20 Lanzfeld

Lanzfeld

Posted 10 February 2014 - 15:41

When we use the "flak and Arty" mod do we need to use "reduce flak lethality" by Avimimus or is italready in there?

#21 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 10 February 2014 - 19:34

When we use the "flak and Arty" mod do we need to use "reduce flak lethality" by Avimimus or is italready in there?

According to what the guy who made this mod wrote, yes it's already in there.
Probably not the same way as reduced Flak lethality, but Flak/archie accuracy is adjusted.
So, no we don't need the reduce Flak lethality.

Trying without the mod, and then with, i noticed definitely a difference. Direct hits are greatly reduced depending the altitude you are flying:

1) Very low (tree top or below, hidding behind trees) Flak/archie is not that dangerous.
Still firing though! So beware to not fly directly upon an AA position!

2) medium altitude (say 100m to 1200m) Flak/archie is quite dangerous, and they are chances of beeing hitted.

3) high altitude (say above 1200m) Flak/archie is not that dangerous.

Have to say i like the way it is adjusted using PWCG Flak X10.
Again, AA wasn't that deadly in WW1 according to statistics (more wounded pilots than plane destroyed by direct hits).
And so far, lost only one pilot due to the Flak direct hit.

#22 Lanzfeld

Lanzfeld

Posted 10 February 2014 - 19:47

Thanks for the info Fifi.

I'm trying your settings now (med,med,high).

#23 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 10 February 2014 - 19:48

Many thanks for your help Fifi,I'll have a tinker around!

Spammers are not my thing...except for the one with the massive k******s. I was impressed with that one.

#24 JohnnyRingo

JohnnyRingo

Posted 10 February 2014 - 22:25

Fifi,

Excellent work. Thank you for sharing.

Ringo

#25 Fritz-Fraghof

Fritz-Fraghof

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:24

Great collection of mods and PCGW settings, Fifi. Thanks, and thank for the explanations too, including about the flak mods. I had the same questions. =P

#26 jeanba4

jeanba4

Posted 19 May 2014 - 15:01

Can you clarify :
"PWCG Flak X10" is it more or less dangerous than default ?

#27 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 19 May 2014 - 20:33

I'm not 100% sure, but i think it's the same.
But it's far more impressive!

Only the AA skill is important. An AA novice will still miss you with Flak X1 or Flak X10…while an AA Veteran will get you :)

#28 Blade_meister

Blade_meister

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:25

Very nice Fifi. I have taken all of the Pwcg_Skins from Panthercules thread The One Place to go for Skins for use with PWCG and seperated the Entente into one JSGME formatted folder, see picture. I also made one for the Central skins, so now I can just install or remove all of the PWCG_Skins with 2 clicks. You might want to try these other mods as well.

1.Engine skins Engine skins here
2.High Resolution Texture Package #1 Not sure where this is, i have it if needed
3.PWCG Pilot Pictures Not sure where this is, i have it if needed
4.Panthers Central-2 or Entente-2 Scarves and Streamers for JSGME
"Panther Pack" Scarf and Streamer Mod Packs Available Now

S!Blade<><

Attached Files

#29 Fritz-Fraghof

Fritz-Fraghof

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:43

In addition to these extra mods Fifi and Blade-mesirer recommends, the static planes mod for PWCG is very good too.

#30 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 20 May 2014 - 19:41

In fact i didn't mention those mods, but i have them activated too :)
Statics planes, engine skin, high reso texture, advancing soldiers etc…

#31 jeanba4

jeanba4

Posted 20 May 2014 - 20:47

Maybe we can share some interesting RofCampaignSpecific.config for some campaigns ?

I have made one for mid 1917-1918 frrecnh bomber campaigns (but that can be adapted to other units), which I find really interesting.
To use it, create your campaign and drop the file under the campaign directory.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users