Photo
- - - - -

[MOD] More Active Front with No Ambient Flak

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 24 December 2013 - 15:20

Mod by *steppenwolf* and updated by Bucksnort removes ambient flak, adds ambient timed fuze artillery shells at 10m altitude over the front, adds ambient bullet strikes at ground level, and increases the frequency of ambient mixed size ground explosions.

If you like the more active artillery on the front in WOFF you'll like this mod. This increases the frequency of artillery strikes on the front pretty dramatically. It has four different explosion sizes and if you fly low enough or ditch in the mud you'll hear and see bullets zipping past you and striking the ground. Water effects are also included and of course all of the sound effects are there to go with the artillery so when dogfighting low over the front you'll feel like you're in the middle of the chaos of war. At higher altitudes you'll see and hear less, but the distant thunder of artillery and large explosions you do see keeps the front alive at pretty much any altitude.

Attached Files

#2 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 24 December 2013 - 15:39

Sounds cool Bucksnort. Will post on ROFMODS after Xmas.

Jason

#3 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 24 December 2013 - 18:34

Is this possible to keep the new ground effect and at the same time still having the ambient flak? Maybe by deleting all the files related to "air explosions"?

#4 redcoat22

redcoat22

Posted 24 December 2013 - 22:02

It's a shame this sort of "active offensive" effect could not be built into the career and enabled during offensives. Remember, the "front" wasn't a bullet fest on a day to day basis and random artillery is more appropriate.

#5 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 24 December 2013 - 22:34

Is this possible to keep the new ground effect and at the same time still having the ambient flak? Maybe by deleting all the files related to "air explosions"?

Hi J.j.

Steppenwolf's original version had ambient flak but he had pulled it all in real close to your plane to give the effect of constantly being in a heavy flak barrage whenever you were over the front. So it wasn't stock game effect ambient flak. I wanted to remove ambient flak altogether so I took it out of this mod except one line which I used for the time fuze artillery shells at 10m altitude.

I don't have Steppenwolf's original file anymore, but if you found it you would have a start (look for it posted somewhere around May or June 2013). But you would have to move the flak out away from your plane to get it back to the stock game effect and I don't know the stock distances (there were quite a few lines for flak).

Seems like there should be an easier way to get stock ambient flak turned back on if you want it without impacting this mod. Sorry I can't help more.

#6 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 24 December 2013 - 23:02

It's a shame this sort of "active offensive" effect could not be built into the career and enabled during offensives. Remember, the "front" wasn't a bullet fest on a day to day basis and random artillery is more appropriate.

With JSGME you can activate and de-activate this mod to suit your location and time period (which is what I do while using PWCG). Maybe 777 could put something similar in B-Career also?

#7 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 25 December 2013 - 21:13

Just gave it a try. I didn't hear any additional sounds. Should I?

Nice work.

#8 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 25 December 2013 - 21:44

I think they are mostly heard from external view.
I like the mod. It's very well done. I do rather miss the ambient flak to go with it though. :)

#9 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 26 December 2013 - 07:07

Credit goes to Steppenwolf for the mod, guys. I just tweaked it.

Gav, the sounds are there, but then I've been using it for 4 or 5 months. More so over the trenches and the lower your alt the louder it gets. Because it's random there are periods where it's not to bad and then times when all hell breaks loose…sometimes it gets on my nerves when one of those big shells goes off right in front of me during a dogfight in the mud :lol:

#10 steppenwolf_

steppenwolf_

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:26

Hi Bucksnort. Thanks for the props!

The only additional sound I added was the bullets flying by sound at ground level. But it is not in this mod?? Did you start with the 'Trench Textures Ambient Effects' mod? It's in there, plus a very low grey flak.

J.j., to keep the new ground stuff, but also use the stock ambient flak check here:

Ambient Front Line Flak Mod

#11 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:34

Thanks steppenwolf, just found your post.

#12 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:53

Hi Bucksnort. Thanks for the props!

The only additional sound I added was the bullets flying by sound at ground level. But it is not in this mod?? Did you start with the 'Trench Textures Ambient Effects' mod? It's in there, plus a very low grey flak.

J.j., to keep the new ground stuff, but also use the stock ambient flak check here:

Ambient Front Line Flak Mod

Hi Steppenwolf,

Glad you saw this thread as you can answer questions I can't. The bullets you added at ground level are in my version also.

Great mod :S!:

#13 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 31 December 2013 - 14:41

S!

This is only for mods on?

Or does it work in multiplay mods off?

sig9.png

#14 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 31 December 2013 - 14:59

Mods-on.

We've asked dozens of times for the ability to turn off ambient flak mods-off for multiplayer. It never happens.

#15 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 31 December 2013 - 15:30

Multiplayer with MODS ON is something possible, and with all the mods which exist right now it is so much better than stock ROF.
Flying multiplayer with mods ON is worth a try ;)

#16 Sabre

Sabre

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:16

Bucksnort, just curious, why did you remove ambient flak in the first place.

Now, can I install Steppenwolf's RoF - Front Line Flak Mod for JSGME.zip then add your mod ontop? Anybody?

Thanks,
Sabre.

#17 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:56

Mods-on.

We've asked dozens of times for the ability to turn off ambient flak mods-off for multiplayer. It never happens.

Indeed, and they force us to use a mod that only pleases the arcade niche (and this is a sim) when the option to disable the ambient flak is only available for mods on.

They got it all upside down.

This mod interested me just to experience the mud without the hideous fake flak, but I installed it and I can't seem to locate it in the game. Could anyone explain in which missions this mod is available and how to enable it? I think that I used JSGME_v2.60.
"There will be honor enough for us all."

#18 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 05 January 2014 - 16:19

Mods-on.

Indeed, and they force us to use a mod that only pleases the arcade niche (and this is a sim) when the option to disable the ambient flak is only available for mods on.

"Arcade" is not a niche, it is a cash-cow. ;)

However, it is not 777 that forces the arcade mods on us. It is the server hosts; they like it that way, too.

#19 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 05 January 2014 - 16:53

Now, can I install Steppenwolf's RoF - Front Line Flak Mod for JSGME.zip then add your mod ontop? Anybody?

Thanks,
Sabre.

Hi Sabre,

Everybody has a different take on ambient flak, but I removed it because it is fake flak being shot at planes that are not there (ambient flak can't hurt you). I would rather have any flak I see being shot at me to me real. So my take is that if I see flak either close or in the distance it is real flak being shot at real planes (maybe me). Also helps me pick out if the dots I see in the distance are friendly or enemy planes. But nothing wrong with ambient flak if you like the effect.

For your second question you'll have to wait for Steppenwolf to answer that.

#20 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 05 January 2014 - 17:04

This mod interested me just to experience the mud without the hideous fake flak, but I installed it and I can't seem to locate it in the game. Could anyone explain in which missions this mod is available and how to enable it? I think that I used JSGME_v2.60.

You should find the following files when installed with JSGME:

Rise of Flight\Data\LuaScripts\WorldObjects
staticexplosions.txt

and

Rise of Flight\Data\LuaScripts\WorldObjects\Emitters
12 text files that all start with dummy (ie: dummyairexpl.txt)

When running you should see no ambient flak over the mud, and more ambient ground artillery explosions.

#21 Sabre

Sabre

Posted 05 January 2014 - 21:53

Thanks,
Sabre.

Hi Sabre,

Everybody has a different take on ambient flak, but I removed it because it is fake flak being shot at planes that are not there (ambient flak can't hurt you). I would rather have any flak I see being shot at me to me real.

Fair!

Neither do I like the fake flak as opposite to the fake ambient artillery. :P

Thanks,
Sabre.

#22 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 05 January 2014 - 23:06

You should find the following files when installed with JSGME:

Rise of Flight\Data\LuaScripts\WorldObjects
staticexplosions.txt

and

Rise of Flight\Data\LuaScripts\WorldObjects\Emitters
12 text files that all start with dummy (ie: dummyairexpl.txt)

When running you should see no ambient flak over the mud, and more ambient ground artillery explosions.

Thanks, I'll check next time :S!:
"There will be honor enough for us all."

#23 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:27

Added new image to OP…

This is a Steppenwolf mod that I spiced up a bit. It is so cool just wanted new players to keep finding it as it really helps with immersion. The new image is a Halb CL2au attacking an infantry and tank assault in PWCG with all hell breaking loose around me :)

#24 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:40

This is a must have mod IMO.
I'm using it currently together with some others.
I love it :S!:

#25 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 23 January 2014 - 14:27

With JSGME you can activate and de-activate this mod to suit your location and time period (which is what I do while using PWCG). Maybe 777 could put something similar in B-Career also?

I wonder if this mod could be activated from PWCG when you accept a mission. PWCG knows when there is a battle and knows what kind of mission you are flying. Doing this would enable or disable this mod as appropriate.

#26 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 23 January 2014 - 21:48

Its indeed really nice simulating an offensive. Having it 24h 7 days a week its abit too much. A solution via PWCG would be great thing!!

#27 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:00

I wonder if this mod could be activated from PWCG when you accept a mission. PWCG knows when there is a battle and knows what kind of mission you are flying. Doing this would enable or disable this mod as appropriate.

That would be pretty cool, Pat. As your altitude and/or distance increases the activity dissipates over the mud, when at tree top level it is very intense. So I turn it on when I'm in an active sector such as the Somme region during the Battle of the Somme. That way no matter what I'm doing I feel like there's a war going on when I get near the mud. If I'm flying a patrol at 4000 ft I see some activity and if the fight degrades to tree top level over the mud then it's chaos.

I also turn it on during a contact patrol in a quiet sector, for instance, to enhance the immersion of a local skirmish but otherwise keep it mostly turned off in quiet sectors.

Since PWCG knows when there is a battle and what mission you are flying there is a lot you could do with it.

#28 Fritz-Fraghof

Fritz-Fraghof

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:12

Thanks for this great mod. Beautiful screenshots too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users