The English Pigs deserve to die.
Cheers,
Spag. :)

Bite off more than you can chew.

Then chew like Hell ! ! !

#4 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 04 December 2013 - 21:19

Never give someone a second chance to kill you because he will know what not to do the second. :) time.

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#5 lederhosen

lederhosen

Posted 04 December 2013 - 22:04

why not

If his bus is shot to sh– and he's no longer a danger then you have beaten him. Move on to the next one.

#6 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 05 December 2013 - 13:12

I rationalise that way: In WW1, training and takeoff accidents claimed more planes then enemy action, and it is said that for instance Immelman destroyed more planes in landing accidents then planes he shot down. Letting your opponent live, might be beneficial to your country
;=)

#7 A.Challenge

A.Challenge
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:08

I rationalise that way: In WW1, training and takeoff accidents claimed more planes then enemy action, and it is said that for instance Immelman destroyed more planes in landing accidents then planes he shot down. Letting your opponent live, might be beneficial to your country
;=)

… and this man knows about landing "accidents". :roll:

campribV.png

#8 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 13 December 2013 - 23:25

why not

If his bus is shot to sh– and he's no longer a danger then you have beaten him. Move on to the nexr one.

…before the unseen next one moves onto you!

:S!:

#9 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 14 December 2013 - 15:40

;=)

… and this man knows about landing "accidents". :roll:

I´m giving you guys every reason there is to let me live ;=)

#10 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 14 December 2013 - 18:53

You guys do know this is a combat sim, right? :mrgreen:

#11 Feathered_IV

Feathered_IV

Posted 14 December 2013 - 22:28

I usually let an opponent go when he's disabled and out of the fight. I will sometimes form up on him and fly along if he doesn't mistake my intentions and start dodging about.

#12 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 14 December 2013 - 23:07

Yes… but I'm a conscript. :(

#13 A.Challenge

A.Challenge
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted 19 January 2014 - 16:25

That would explain why people keep shooting me down when I'm flying along minding my own business. I just thought is was a bunch of rude people.

campribV.png

#14 Dr.Zebra

Dr.Zebra

Posted 19 January 2014 - 18:37

That would explain why people keep shooting me down when I'm flying along minding my own business. I just thought is was a bunch of rude people.

a noteworthy hypotesis. However, after years of gaming I am also inclined to believe that viritual armies (including dwarf and undead ones) are, as a workspace, fostering anti-social behavior.

#15 Demon_

Demon_

Posted 19 January 2014 - 18:49

But! But! the score is very important :o

#16 Spag

Spag
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 January 2014 - 14:04

HaHaHa, That is one of the funniest things I have heard posted in this forum.
Cheers,

Bite off more than you can chew.

Then chew like Hell ! ! !

#17 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 20 January 2014 - 14:22

Read 'Above The Lines'… This notion of WWI aviators being 'gentlemen of the air' and treating foes in a 'knightly, chivalrous' manner is total myth, propagated by the pulp writers of the 1930's.
There may have been the odd exception, but most pilots went out to get that kill regardless, and the best way to get it was to get as close as possible, preferably unobserved and kill the other bloke!

#18 TheBlackPenguin

TheBlackPenguin

Posted 20 January 2014 - 15:15

Read 'Above The Lines'… This notion of WWI aviators being 'gentlemen of the air' and treating foes in a 'knightly, chivalrous' manner is total myth, propagated by the pulp writers of the 1930's.
There may have been the odd exception, but most pilots went out to get that kill regardless, and the best way to get it was to get as close as possible, preferably unobserved and kill the other bloke!

Indeed, perfectly explained in this wonderful documentary Aces Falling

#19 J5_Rumey

J5_Rumey

Posted 20 January 2014 - 15:35

Yes the notion of chivalry is fiction from the start. The knights who are the base of chivalry and the start of it all where NOT chivalrous. They might spare a noble born opponent, but that was just to extort money from said nobles relatives.

#20 A.Challenge

A.Challenge
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted 20 January 2014 - 18:20

I forget who said this, but: "The Age of Chivalry is always the age before the one we are in."

(emphasis added)

campribV.png

#21 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:53

Recently I let my wounded oponent land at FC server.
After few seconds a gang of four shot me to pieces while I was greeting him waving my wings…

So - no more chivalry from me.
:x

#22 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:43

Was the OP about SP or MP?

If wheels are up, then I'm all for getting the kill because nobody else seems to give a tinker's arse on MP. Besides, it might be Vorlander in there… :D Seriously…

I occasionally pull off if I see the a/c is disabled, but that is rare simply because nobody else seems to give a tinker's arse on MP. Did I say that already? :?

What really pisses me off though are the b@stards who will strafe a landed aircraft while the 5 secs are ticking down to exit, or even worse, when you've already crashed or burnt. Really, that's just psychotic behaviour…

#23 Bump

Bump
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:45

I always let you land Ami, :roll: chivalry is in my blood! but there are some who I will shoot at landing because thy have NO conscious, just Bots!! flying a sim for points, you know who you our!

Long live chivalry!!

#24 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 21 January 2014 - 14:00

Bump, you are one of those I would let land for sure!
:S!:

#25 JFish

JFish
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:29

OH!! :x im sorry is it wrong to be a sportsmen?

#26 JFish

JFish
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:31

The English Pigs deserve to die.
Cheers,

your just jealous cause you didn't think of it first

#27 Cybermat47

Cybermat47
  • LocationNew South Wales, Australia

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:45

I like letting my opponents go :)

I wish they'd return the favour though. I remember being crippled with a bandit on my 6, shooting off flares, which is my way of saying "YOU WIN JUST PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE!". As they later explained, though, all flares mean 'kill me'.
"If I could only have brought him down alive."
- Lieutenant Arthur Rhys-Davids, recalling his victory over Leutnant Werner Voss.

#28 Gump

Gump

Posted 16 May 2014 - 16:40

I like letting my opponents go :)

I wish they'd return the favour though. I remember being crippled with a bandit on my 6, shooting off flares, which is my way of saying "YOU WIN JUST PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE!". As they later explained, though, all flares mean 'kill me'.
heh heh… good one. :lol:
there are a lot of different philosophies, opinions and reasons to let go or not in this game, so i quit worrying about it. if someone lets me land out, cool. if someone shoots the life outta me landing, oh well (though it doesn't impress me). personally, i might choose (for some reason) to do either at different times.
practically, it's a waste of bullets, unless the opponent sits on the ground signaling/comm'ing his buddies. or, unless there is some kind of point motivation (?). sometimes it's wise to be miserly with bullets. in real life, killing a pilot would eliminate the threat forever. in the game, he just respawns at the airfield - same as landing out. maybe a stat penalty for dying.
———-
it's my understanding that chivalry DID exist early on the war, among pilots, for a couple/few reasons:
1) many of the early pilots knew each other from being in the 'hobby' together before the war. flight was an elite activity, to be participated in only by a few. these circles generally admired gentlemanly behavior. even as a military implementation, flying a plane was considered an honor and privilege, and hard to qualify for. being in the sky, away from the trenches, in a whole new, glorious realm and feeling of freedom added some euphoria to the pilot's attiitude.
2) The early uses of the plane did not include offensive behavior. recon might involve flying right by your enemey's plane. it is said they would wave to each other. when they began dropping bombs, it still was not plane vs plane. they began shooting at each other with guns, but this was said to be so incapable that it wasn't much of a threat. it wasn't until later that the planes were instructed to become offensive (vs defensive). this difference in strategy would magnify and exalt the aggressive attitude.
3) War is always romantic at the start. it seems that all the populations were 'exited' about war when it was declared. the general public sentiment was that it would be over in 6months (may have been propaganda to generate enthusiasm/support, but some of the gov't thought so). however, as the war lingered on, that enthusiastic 'cheer' dies, and the mood developes into a cold-hearted kill or be killed one. chivalry, in such cases, is rare then.

#29 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 16 May 2014 - 17:21

2) The early uses of the plane did not include offensive behavior. recon might involve flying right by your enemey's plane. it is said they would wave to each other. when they began dropping bombs, it still was not plane vs plane. they began shooting at each other with guns, but this was said to be so incapable that it wasn't much of a threat. it wasn't until later that the planes were instructed to become offensive (vs defensive). this difference in strategy would magnify and exalt the aggressive attitude.

This is what I understood until I read Berthold's book. In his first recon mission, which was the first flight of the war of his unit, in 1914, he carried a rifle as an observer. I'll check later, but they seem to consider the enemy an "enemy", and every chance they got they went into pursuit.
"There will be honor enough for us all."

#30 Gump

Gump

Posted 16 May 2014 - 21:11

chivalry doesn't necessarily mean ignoring a threat. it just implies not taking advantage of the helpless.
there are plenty of books/documentaries on ww1 (and other wars), some of which seem to conflict or imply a different POV. amazing how the comments from one or a few pilots/soldiers can give us the impression that everyone felt the same all the time. yet, we know that prolly isn't true.

#31 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 16 May 2014 - 23:01

Chasing down an already beaten enemy can be very risky. Look what happened to MvR. Mannock went the same way. Both disobeyed their own golden rule of not following down a beaten enemy.

#32 Gump

Gump

Posted 19 May 2014 - 22:01

Chasing down an already beaten enemy can be very risky. Look what happened to MvR. Mannock went the same way. Both disobeyed their own golden rule of not following down a beaten enemy.
good point, although MvR's opponent (may) wasn't beat (he was running for his life), as mannock's was (down in flames).
a good reason for this is that it would do 2 very bad things for you… it would put you at a low altitude and it would reduce your SA (as you become fixated on a non-threat).
this might not be such a worry in servers like AF/FC when almost all the dogfights are down at/near ground level anyways, and the icons can tell you, at a glance, if anyone's near enough to be concerned about.

#33 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 19 May 2014 - 22:20

good point, although MvR's opponent (may) wasn't beat (he was running for his life), as mannock's was (down in flames).

That is quite true but initially MvR thought that he had him beaten until circumstances suddenly changed. It is far from a rare occurrence in MP so I prefer not to do it but it is a personal choice.
Cheers.

#34 JFish

JFish
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 February 2017 - 19:40

…before the unseen next one moves onto you!

icon_e_salute.gif

he was the last one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users