- - - - -

Introducing "Duel" mission pack

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 21 November 2013 - 21:17

Inspired by the Osprey book series I decided to create a number of single missions. The idea is similar: to focus on two WW1 scout planes that would have met each other in combat frequently and make an interesting match-up.

These single missions have a simple mission/objective structure to make sure you will meet your opponents without having to search the whole map, but both friendly and enemy flights will have random starting locations so the missions can be replayed a number of times. Also, the objective of the mission may vary.
Locations, units and plane sets are mostly historical. You can use autopilot and time acceleration to get quicker into the action.
More "duels" will follow such as SE.5a vs Pfalz DXII, SPAD XIII vs Fokker D7F etc.

Download the latest version (v8) of the mission pack from our website here

This version contains only single player missions. Warning: The mission pack is now JSGME compatible! It is preferred you install the missions with JSGME. They should simply overwrite your previous versions.

The first in the series is Sopwith Camel vs Fokker Dr1:

Both rotary engined fighters, the Sopwith Camel and the Fokker Dr I triplane were regarded as the most maneuverable machines produced during the conflict, and the classic pair for a tight, evenly matched dogfight at close quarters.
Patrol the hostile skies north of the Somme in March 1918, where the German Army is busy with their final offensive of the Great War.

Attached File  Fokdr1Camel_poster.jpg   289.87KB   1239 downloads

The second episode is the duel between Sopwith Pup and Albtaros D.II:

The early Albatros scout planes caused quite a stir on the Western front when they arrived in late 1916. The German aircraft were fast and heavily armed with two machine guns firing through the propeller. The best the British could deploy was the nimble Sopwith Pup. Although a very maneuverable little aircraft with admirable flying characteristics it was armed with only one machine gun that was prone to jamming.

Attached File  PupAlbatrosDII_poster.jpg   226.29KB   1240 downloads

The third episode is the classic battle between the SPAD VII and the Albatros D.III:

The Chemin des Dames is a section of road some 30 kilometres long which runs along a ridge between the valleys of the rivers Aisne and Ailette. The Second Battle of the Aisne was fought along the Chemin des Dames during April 1917. Above the battlefield the most advanced fighter planes of that period often met in combat in their quest for aerial supremacy: The French SPAD VII with a powerful engine and high top speed and the German Albatros D.III armed with two synchronized machine guns.

Attached File  SPADVIIAlbatrosDIII_poster.jpg   217.72KB   972 downloads

The fourth duel has an earlier setting, the autumn of 1916. The Halberstadt D.II was considered a sturdy and nimble fighter by the Germans, but was soon outclassed by the Albatros series. The British had adopted the French Nieuport 17, a deadly mount in the hands of famous aces such as Albert Ball and William Bishop.

Attached File  Nieuport17HalberstadtDII_poster.jpg   238KB   585 downloads

Inspired by the Osprey book Nieuport 11/16 Bébé vs Fokker Eindecker I have added this classic match, set during the battle of Verdun.

Attached File  Nieuport11FokkerEindecker_poster.jpg   220.53KB   387 downloads

#2 J5_Vorlander

J5_Vorlander

Posted 21 November 2013 - 21:51

Cool

#3 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 21 November 2013 - 21:53

Wow, Vander! Thank you!

#4 LennysCopilot

LennysCopilot

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:10

Nifty! I'll have to give it a try!

#5 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:25

Good practice missions!

#6 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 28 November 2013 - 21:22

Second set of missions are ready! First post has been updated.

Please overwrite all existing files as I will continue to make little fixes to the previously released missions. Have fun!

#7 Cybermat47

Cybermat47
  • LocationNew South Wales, Australia

Posted 28 November 2013 - 21:54

Looking forward to trying these out!
"What was the purpose of it all? What's the price of a mile?! Thousands of feet march to the beat, it's an army on the march! Long way from home, paying the price in young men's lives! Thousands of feet march to the beat, it's an army in despair! Knee-deep in mud, stuck in the trench with no way out!"
- From The Price of a Mile by Sabaton.

#8 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 11 January 2014 - 16:16

Since the required objects are now part of RoF (as of the latest update) there is no need to install mods for these missions anymore.

I hope to create two more missions shortly.

#9 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 11 January 2014 - 19:17

Hey Vander - I really like the concept of these missions, but I have a question - are these missions for single-player only, or can they be used for Multi-player?

I'm looking for a couple/few simple missions that could be used by me and my son for some simple multiplayer practice with just the two of us against some AI bots (something I could set up in an ad hoc server in the game's MP menu and let him join). Would these be suitable, or are there some others out there that would fit that bill?

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: 36694410693_d3346a1719_o.jpg

#10 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 11 January 2014 - 23:19

Hey Vander - I really like the concept of these missions, but I have a question - are these missions for single-player only, or can they be used for Multi-player?

I'm looking for a couple/few simple missions that could be used by me and my son for some simple multiplayer practice with just the two of us against some AI bots (something I could set up in an ad hoc server in the game's MP menu and let him join). Would these be suitable, or are there some others out there that would fit that bill?

Hi Panther,

These missions use a technique where only AI gets spawned when in the vicinity of the player. It's easy to convert to coop, but you will need to stick together as only the leader of the flight will trigger the spawns ( I think). I'll try and send you one tomorrow to test.

#11 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:51

Hi Panther,

These missions use a technique where only AI gets spawned when in the vicinity of the player. It's easy to convert to coop, but you will need to stick together as only the leader of the flight will trigger the spawns ( I think). I'll try and send you one tomorrow to test.

That would be great - we should be sticking together under normal circumstacnes (that's kinda the point), so that limitation shouldn't be a problem. Thanks!

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#12 andyw248

andyw248

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:33

These missions are great! One suggestion though:
After landing, my airplane just disappears after maybe 10 seconds, while my wingmen are on their final approach. It would be great if were allowed to taxi back to the hangars, shut down the engine, and enjoy a cold one before the mission ends.

#13 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 12 January 2014 - 13:36

These missions are great! One suggestion though:
After landing, my airplane just disappears after maybe 10 seconds, while my wingmen are on their final approach. It would be great if were allowed to taxi back to the hangars, shut down the engine, and enjoy a cold one before the mission ends.

Thanks for the feedback! I have added 5 more minutes between debriefing and exit (was 12 seconds). I'll include it in the new version of the mission pack.

#14 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 12 January 2014 - 14:11

These are great, many thanks!

#15 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 12 January 2014 - 14:22

Cooperative versions in this zip. Please test while I'm working on the next classic episode: Nieuport 17 vs Albatros DIII !

Attached File  duel_mission_pack_cooperative.zip   540.31KB   17 downloads

#16 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 12 January 2014 - 17:00

Cooperative versions in this zip. Please test while I'm working on the next classic episode: Nieuport 17 vs Albatros DIII !

Hmm - the single player missions load up and seem to work OK, but I can't get the MP/Cooop versions to work. Probably not be an issue with these missions though - for some reason I don't seem to be able to get any MP missions to load, when I try to "start my own server" from the in-game MP menu screen. I tried yours, other coop and other dogfight/CTF missions, and the same thing always happens - the loading gets to about 65% finished and then dumps me out to the main game screen.

Not sure what that's all about, or how to fix it, but until I get that sorted I guess I won't be able to test your missions. Thanks for making them available though - I'm off to do a recovery and see if I can figure out why this isn't working.

#17 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 12 January 2014 - 17:39

Well, things are working again, and your coop missions seem to be loading up fine now. Turns out that when I built my new PC my router changed all the IP address settings, so my RoF startup.cfg files were out of whack and that was apparently causing the loading process for MP missions to fail.

Now if I can just find some time later today when my son and I can get together I'll give these a try.

Thanks again for making these available :S!:

#18 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 15 January 2014 - 22:31

New "episode" added to the single mission pack. A classic match-up, set in the spring of 1917 in the Marne area:

SPAD VII vs Albatros DIII
Albatros DIII vs SPAD VII

The link in the first post has been updated. I have yet to create the co-op versions for these.
Please note I have updated all missions, so overwrite all existing missions.

Change log:

-Added SPAD VII vs Albatros DIII missions
-Time-out after landing is now 15 minutes
-Fixed counter of downed enemy planes
-Other minor fixes

Attached File  SPADVIIAlbatrosDIII_poster.jpg   217.72KB   206 downloads

#19 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 15 January 2014 - 22:31

:S!:

#20 LennysCopilot

LennysCopilot

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:12

Sweet! SPAD VII vs. Albatros D.III is my favorite in the Duel series!

#21 jeanba4

jeanba4

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:19

Edit : started the Pup vs Albatros mission.
Very nice layout.
Actually, it was not exactly a "Pup vs Alb" mission as I attacked the bombers first and got damaged in the engine.
I had a painfull way back to my airfield, but could land safely.

Nice mission, anyway, I will restart soon.

#22 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 17 January 2014 - 19:42

New version uploaded, v5, see first page of the thread. This version of the mission pack also contains all coop versions as well as some minor fixes.

Introducing "Duel" mission pack

#23 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 17 January 2014 - 19:45

Edit : started the Pup vs Albatros mission.
Very nice layout.
Actually, it was not exactly a "Pup vs Alb" mission as I attacked the bombers first and got damaged in the engine.
I had a painfull way back to my airfield, but could land safely.

Nice mission, anyway, I will restart soon.

Remember that planes will start at random locations and objectives may vary, so restarting will result in a slightly different mission. And of course, no-one will stop you from hunting two-seaters, balloons, enemy vehicles or even visiting enemy airfields :)

#24 StraferX

StraferX

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:26

Awesome stuff, TY for this as it add's so much more to an already great game.

#25 Danelov

Danelov

Posted 05 March 2014 - 13:42

Super. Many thanks.

#26 Danelov

Danelov

Posted 05 March 2014 - 17:26

Played again. Very good work done with this mission series.
A mission with Airco D.H.2 vs Fokker E.III or another more difficult with Airco D.H.2 vs Albatros D.II can be very welcome.

Thanks again

#27 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:27

Played again. Very good work done with this mission series.
A mission with Airco D.H.2 vs Fokker E.III or another more difficult with Airco D.H.2 vs Albatros D.II can be very welcome.

Thanks again

Yup, I have the following on my to-do list (but it will take some time):

Nieuport 17 vs Halberstadt DII
DH.2 vs Fokker EIII Eindecker
SPAD XIII vs Fokker DVIIF
Nieuport 28 vs Fokker DVII
SE.5a vs Pfalz DXII
SPAD VII vs Albatros DVa

#28 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:34

Excellent, thank you!

#29 Endy

Endy

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:26

How the heck have I missed these, [from Nov. 2013] nice one Vander, and thank you. :S!:

#30 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:44

Right on Panther! If I could make a suggestion…. maybe include the Fokker DVII with the Mercedes DIIIaü vs the ….oh wait…never mind.
Hauptmann 
Jagdstaffel 2 "Boelcke"

xfnaaHq.jpg

#31 1PL-Frog-1Esk

1PL-Frog-1Esk

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:05

hahaha nice joke :lol:

#32 Pointy

Pointy

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:14

Will grab these tommorow! Thanks muchly. :S!:

#33 Barkhorn1x

Barkhorn1x

Posted 06 March 2014 - 20:33

How the heck have I missed these, [from Nov. 2013] nice one Vander, and thank you. :S!:

Just found these myself. Danke Vander. :S!:

#34 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:26

Hi all,

I have added a fourth "Duel" to the mission pack: Nieuport 17 vs Halberstadt D.II.
Co-op versions are also included (but these are quick converts, not optimized).
See the first post of the thread for the download link. Have fun!

#35 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:28

While on holiday I have read the latest Duel edition by Osprey "Nieuport 11/16 Bebe" vs Fokker Eindecker. It describes an event that will be great to make into a mission, which is what I will do when I get back :).

On 22 May 1916, 8 German balloons had to be destroyed in support of the fighting to retake fort Douamont. Eight volunteer pilots gathered at Lemmes (de Beauchamp, de Boutigny - N23, Chaput - N31, Dubois de Gennes, Lucien Barrault - N57, Nungesser, Reservat - N65, Guiguet - N95). The Nieuports were armed with Le Prieur rockets. N65 claimed LVG over Beaumont and Aviatik over Flabas. Nungesser destroyed a Drachen over Gincrey and Reservat did so as well. They were intercepted by German fighters near Etain. Guiguet destroyed a balloon at Sivry, Fokkers in pursuit. De Beauchamp destroyed his Drachen east of Flabas. Chaput and de Gennes burned their targets north-west and north-east of Ornes respectively. 6 out of 8 balloons were destroyed. At that time, Boelcke was present at Sivry.

#36 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:31

This mission was already done by actionjoe and is packed with the "Forts de Verdun" mod.

http://www.rofmods.com/en/Forts_1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rofmods.com/en/Forts_1/

#37 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:51

Ah, well, have to try it then when I get back!

#38 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 12 August 2014 - 21:21

I have added the latest version (v7). This time it's JSGME compatible, so you can just install/deinstall it as mod. See first page in this thread: Introducing "Duel" mission pack

This version adds the Nieuport 11 vs Fokker Eindecker Duel missions, which take place during the battle of Verdun. Also, all missions have been updated so it will be more clear what your (random) objective will be during the mission.

Attached File  Nieuport11FokkerEindecker_poster.jpg   220.53KB   224 downloads

#39 Blade_meister

Blade_meister

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:51

Thank you Vander, I for one really enjoy these "Duel" missions. They are great when I don't have much time to get involved, I just jump in and am usually in a furball in no time. I have enjoyed each new addition. Thanks for your interest and hard work in bringing these missions to the Community.

S!Blade<><

#40 PapaFlo

PapaFlo
  • LocationInnsbruck

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:22

Thank you! Really cool missions!
Flo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users