Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:04

Hi Ankor,

Yes, I included it as a separate JSGME folder with the download. :S!:

#42 Joker_BR

Joker_BR

Posted 26 November 2013 - 18:04

Ah, that's cool :)

Now I need some input.
Here I finally figured out how to add (almost correct) bump mapping to trench lines. It is not the final version - since I have to combine height data with alpha channel it doesn't blend well with the ground and I have yet to draw a better version.
Another change is that I tried to add irregularities to zipper pattern, not sure if it makes the look any better.
What do you think?

Both are excellent, sir! :S!: Way better than stock.

#43 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 26 November 2013 - 18:11

thanks for the effort
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#44 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 26 November 2013 - 23:02

Awesome work Ankor!

Jason

#45 Genius

Genius

Posted 04 December 2013 - 20:36

Thanks Ankor for your works

#46 Proccy

Proccy

Posted 04 December 2013 - 21:16

:S!: Great work Ankor please keep hacking away , we need guys like you to improve our games. :S!:

Lieut. (A./Capt.) Andrew Weatherby Beauchamp-Proctor, D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., No. 84 Sqn., R.A. Force.

#47 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:21

Just got word of this yesterday and read this thread with much excitement!
Thank you for efforts. :S!:

Looking at the trench bump effect screenshot, is it just my perception/trick of the light or are the edges of trenches (the parapets, where the waste earth from digging the trench is mounded high to improve cover) are depressed rather than elevated?

#48 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:47

Looking at the trench bump effect screenshot, is it just my perception/trick of the light or are the edges of trenches (the parapets, where the waste earth from digging the trench is mounded high to improve cover) are depressed rather than elevated?
I personally don't see this effect on the trenches, but occasionally see craters as hills. I already posted a link with the description of this phenomena: http://en.wikipedia....able_perception" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia....able_perception
While testing I noticed that it depends on various factors - it may be less noticeable in motion or more exaggerated under certain angles. After all the terrain is still flat which leads to confusing perception (please don't let raaaaid see this discussion :) )

I haven't had a chance to do more tweaking, so no new versions yet.

#49 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 09 December 2013 - 13:09

Yes, quite familiar with the effect so no worries. Below is a well-know sculpture at my old university in Guelph, Canada. Is the face coming out or going in?

The spoiler… :lol:

#50 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:32

This is a great looking mod, AnKor!

But I always miss it when I switch to the Channel map. Any chance of making one exactly like it for the Channel Map?

Thanks! :)

#51 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:35

Yep, need to finish it, hate to leave such a good thing incomplete. Will do once I get some free time.

I've recently read about a better filtering algorithm which may improve quality in some cases, but unfortunately I still can't fix texture seams. It can't be done in any straightforward way, there still might be some tricks to work around it, but again I don't have time to look for them.

#52 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:04

Awesome mod Ankor!
Very needed for Channel map as well!
Thanks for your work.

#53 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:45

… unfortunately I still can't fix texture seams. It can't be done in any straightforward way, there still might be some tricks to work around it, but again I don't have time to look for them.
Do you think it may be a matter of going into each tile file and painting by hand those offending seam edges that are causing the artifact when your bump mapping is applied? I've got terrain tile experience from another sim, so willing to help, since it will be some amount of work.

Then again, maybe I'm not getting how the mod actually works and this wouldn't work… :?

#54 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 23 January 2014 - 04:48

A shame you can't fine tune this very good mod Ankor.
I love the way rivers sides are looking.
But i have to leave it aside for the moment, because it makes me see the tiles lines in the landscape…at first i thought it was small dirt tracks, but no :(

#55 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:13

Love the effect on roads, not sure about the river/canal effect, because (and this is going to sound pedantic) so much of the area on the map had much higher than usual water tables due to the destruction of drainage, so that many canals and rivers overflowed their usual banks.

When this happens they actually look just like the default RoF tiles!

I fly over Thailand during the rainy season nearly every year, where there are seasonal floods, and it is amazing how the land and water areas blend together without clear boundaries.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#56 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:22

SYN_Bandy, sorry didn't replied earlier. Updating textures is too much work, will break the compatibility with other texture mods and I'm not even sure it will help. So I have to find the way to do it for existing textures. I have some ideas already, I'm just too busy with updating graphics for another sim :)

Fifi, yep, it is annoying when you see them.

unreasonable, good point (this sentence sounds odd :) ).
Though I think I'll leave the effect in (people like it :) ), but I do want to tone it down, so banks will not look so steep. Or even better I can provide two versions of the mod - with and without river banks, it is the easiest thing to do.

#57 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:31

Just river banks i would be plenty satisfied!
Rivers really need your mod in this sim.

#58 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 23 January 2014 - 13:41

unreasonable, good point (this sentence sounds odd :) ).
Though I think I'll leave the effect in (people like it :) ), but I do want to tone it down, so banks will not look so steep. Or even better I can provide two versions of the mod - with and without river banks, it is the easiest thing to do.

As soon as I posted I thougt oho! I hope that is not taken as criticism - meant to be constructive, so I am relieved you see it that way. Modders need all the encouragement they can get.

Just finished a career recce flight (channel map), of course spent the whole time looking at railways, trees and rivers, lucky not to get bounced. It really struck me then how the railways in particular look odd without a raised trackbed.

Looking forward to your (non-rivers) version when you complete the work. :S!:

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#59 RemonttiRene

RemonttiRene

Posted 23 January 2014 - 15:40

I like the effect of this mod but does anyone else get these lines that you can see in my screenshots? Didn't see anyone mention this earlier. Could it be something in my settings?

Attached Files

#60 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 23 January 2014 - 17:38

THese lines are from the textures which are duplicated all along the map I think. The bump mapping mod makes these lines more visible, but for me it is a small price to pay for the other effects of this great mod!

#61 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 23 January 2014 - 21:10

Yeah, those lines are what i was saying few post above: they are game landscape tiles, enhanced by Ankor's mod. Without map bumping mod, they don't appear.
JJ doesn't seem to care much about, but on my screen and using SweetFX + Fubar texture mod, the lines are very ugly and very noticeable.
On some career, they just split my airfield… :(
A shame because i really love the way rivers are looking with this mod.

#62 WW1EAF_Paf

WW1EAF_Paf
  • Tester

Posted 23 January 2014 - 21:43

version 1 has rivers and roads I think ;)

#63 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 23 January 2014 - 22:16

And somewhat screwed lighting :) I should remove the download for original version actually, it is too bad.

Good news is that after all this talking I decided to sit down and finally add support for the Channel and winter season maps. And even better news - I believe tile seams should be mostly fixed now, they are still there but much less noticeable.
Attached File  Terrain Bump 2014-01-24 Beta.zip   13.49KB   68 downloads
It includes "no shimmer" and "smart blur" mods as well. Though bump mapping adds new kind of shimmering which only antialiasing may fix.

Make sure that you delete all files from previous terrain bump mod or it may conflict with them!
Consider this one a beta because I didn't have time to thoroughly test it and may have missed something. Please report any oddities.

What is even more important: this one does NOT work in mods OFF mode.
I understand there are may be people who still wish to use this mod in multiplayer, and it will be possible, but I will explain details tomorrow.

#64 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 23 January 2014 - 22:25

Hey! Thank you very much Ankor!
Downloaded and will test it soon :S!:

#65 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 24 January 2014 - 00:07

Ok, after testing on different seasons and maps, here the result:

- Channel map is very fine, and i can't see any tiles lines! Very good job.

- Western map is a bit better, but for some reason the tiles lines are still visible…depending the light angle on map.
Flying circles above, the line is visible and then fading a bit when light angle is different.
In summer season they are very visible while in winter it's a bit more hidden in the global landscape.

I don't know why the result is perfect on Channel map, and not on "old" map :?

On side note, i'm running your mod on top of Fubar terrain textures mod, wich are conflicting.

PS: Finally found those 2 mods aren't compatible…
Fubar terrain texture mod is making tiles lines visible when terrain bump-mapping mod is activated on top of it.
In the inverse activation, i don't see tiles lines, but rivers/tracks bump-mapping isn't working.

So, unless someone makes those 2 mods compatible, we'll have to choose between!
Perso, i love Fubar seasons textures and new winter trees, but couldn't play without rivers bump-mapping…so this is cruel dilemn! :lol:

#66 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:08

I'm sure this mod interaction can be figured out. I can only hope it can work for MP people in Mods Off.

The "new kind of shimmer" Ankor mentions is, I think, what many of us noticed in early versions of this mod as well.
Does it look like a 'Moire fringe pattern' on certain fields with plow furrows etc?

If this is the same 'shimmer' then I do not think there is any way around this visual artifact, it is a non-graphic product of the lines interacting in our eyes, like when looking through a window screen.

Stare at this picture and see the interaction that forms in our visual cortex :0o: Annoying no?

#67 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:07

Fifi,
Can you post a screenshot? I will look more into it when I have time, but this version should definitely be better than the previous one regarding seams.
Make sure data\graphics\shaders\trash\bin only contains texturerender.bin file. Previous version of the mod had other .bin files which will conflict with this one.

Bandy,
Hmm, yes, you are right, it seems to be moire pattern, and yes it is only on certain fields.
And those circles look weird for sure :)

I can only hope it can work for MP people in Mods Off.
It will, and without much effort. Though I need to explain why it works and what side-effects it has. Nothing really bad there, I just feel obliged to clarify it. Will do it later today.

#68 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:55

Ankor, your mod is working nice.
Problem is i run it on top of Fubar texture mod, and it seems it's not compatible.
Without Fubar mod, i don't see the lines anymore with your new version of mod.
But Fubar textures also greatly improve ROF scenary…
Best would be to get both working together!

#69 Fubar

Fubar

Posted 24 January 2014 - 19:33

Ha thanks for this AnKor85 it works very well with the new landscape textures ect I've been working on :S!:

#70 AnKor85

AnKor85

Posted 24 January 2014 - 19:34

Ha thanks for this AnKor85 it works very well with the new landscape textures ect I've been working on :S!:

If you (or anyone else) is interested - there is a way to tweak this mod for your taste.
What you need to do is to find following lines:
static const float4 GroundK = float4(0.25f, 0.10f, 0.45f, 0.80f);
static const float3 MaskK = float3(1.0f, 2.0f, 8.0f);
in following files:
basichlsl_summer.fx – summer and autumn seasons for the main map and Verdun/Lake,
basichlsl_winter.fx – winter season
basichlsl_summer_proc.fx – Channel map (it will have only one number for MaskK).

GroundK numbers correspond to red, green, blue texture color and water "depth" contribution to bump mapping. If you want to get rid of river banks just change the last one from 0.80f to 0.00f

For MaskK numbers define strength of sand, forest and frontline bump mapping (or only front-line for Channel map, other mask layers aren't supported there).

Feel free to experiment. I only had limited time to tune these numbers.

Now, a few words about mods off mode as I promised.
If you don't feel inclined to know "behind the scenes" stuff you may skip to the two last paragraphs :)

Initially I didn't even know that this mod will work in mods off. If you read the first post I even joked about it being so addictive that one will be unable to turn them off after trying this mod.

However, by pure coincidence it worked.
As you know mods in ROF are nothing else but file replacements and mods on/off switch simply defines which files are used: mods off => GTP contents are read first, mods on => plain files take priority.
This means that one can add new content without enabling mods, if the file is new and unique and doesn't have corresponding "original" in GTP. That's how Vander's objects worked before being included officially.

But what does it mean for this particular mod?
Before 1.029 all shaders were stored as source text files (*.fx), which were compiled when the game or mission editor started. That's why it took so long to start, by the way. After 1.029 devs finally "optimized" it by compiling shaders once and storing them in binary form (*.bin).
At this point I incorrectly assumed that they pre-compiled ALL shaders (and haven't bothered to verify it) and that's why I only provided *.bin files in the previous version of the mod. However, this was an incorrect assumption - after you change graphics settings and start the game it updates a few tiny files (*.inc) in its data directory which are then included (hence the name) into shader sources and affect how they are compiled.
So in fact devs pre-compiled only invariant shaders which doesn't depend on graphics settings, but those which do are still compiled when game is started or a mission is loaded for the first time for a given map.

Now, I can assume, that devs reasonably didn't bothered with creating a list of pre-compiled and source code shaders, but instead added a simple logic: "to get NNN shader: if there is NNN.bin file - load it, otherwise compile and load NNN.fx file", which worked flawlessly until I made my mod.

When I provided *.bin files with my mod and you turned mods off the following happened: the game was looking for terrain shader code in the following order - 1) bin file from GTP, 2) external bin file, 3) fx file from GTP, 4) external fx file. And since there is no such bin file in the step 1 and fx file would have been loaded only at step 3, the game happily used modded file from step 2. Even in mods off mode!

However, with the latest version of the mod I only provided fx files without "redundant" binary ones, which means that since there is nothing available in steps 1 and 2, the game loads standard fx file when mods are disabled.

So… What is the conclusion?

First, to make this mod work in mods off mode all I need is to compile the fx files and provide bin files for download instead. However, these files will include some of my current graphics settings (not sure which ones) and everyone using the mod will be effectively locked with the same settings.
This shouldn't be a big problem, though, because no one complained about it with the previous mod and I believe people who want to use this mod already use highest possible terrain settings. I still need to know which exactly settings are captured by this mod.

Second, after all this is a hole in game's mods on/off system, quite specific but still a hole. I don't think devs will rush to fix it, they have other things to do, but I wouldn't bet on them keeping it as is forever.

#71 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 24 January 2014 - 21:16

If you want to get rid of river banks just change the last one from 0.80f to 0.00f

Ah, thanks for sharing!

But if i want to keep only the rivers banks, what files should i change please?
This way, it could solve the tiles lines i see when both mods enabled!

I would like to use Fubar texture mod + your river banks bump-mapping :D

#72 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 24 January 2014 - 21:24

And somewhat screwed lighting :) I should remove the download for original version actually, it is too bad.

Good news is that after all this talking I decided to sit down and finally add support for the Channel and winter season maps. And even better news - I believe tile seams should be mostly fixed now, they are still there but much less noticeable.

It includes "no shimmer" and "smart blur" mods as well. Though bump mapping adds new kind of shimmering which only antialiasing may fix.

Make sure that you delete all files from previous terrain bump mod or it may conflict with them!
Consider this one a beta because I didn't have time to thoroughly test it and may have missed something. Please report any oddities.

What is even more important: this one does NOT work in mods OFF mode.
I understand there are may be people who still wish to use this mod in multiplayer, and it will be possible, but I will explain details tomorrow.

Thanks for this, AnKor!!!

I downloaded it last night and flew a mission on the Channel map immdediately and it worked great. I may tweak a bit, so thanks for teaching us how. My one question is that I never liked Smart Blur (sorry) :( Is there some way to turn it off.

Other than that this is a huge leap and thank you for taking the time to get it running on the Channel map and fine tuning it further :S!:

#73 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:48

Ok, after further investigations, i thought it was my SweetFX that enhanced those tiles lines, because Fubar is running his texture mod + bump mapping without issue.
So i desabled my SweetFX, and get slightly better result. But i still see at some angle, the tiles lines:

For testing, it's QMB Verdun summer map.
No need to fly far, the airfield is at tiles lines crossing!

Ankor, any way to get your mod with only rivers banks?

#74 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:25

Woop Woop!! Sorted out :P

Changing for "static const float4 GroundK = float4(0.00f, 0.00f, 0.00f, 0.80f)" in all 3 files (summer, winter, and summer_proc) solved my tiles lines problem!
I lost the small ground tracks bump mapping, but kept the river banks (no big deal for the ground tracks).

Now back with SweetFX + Fubar textures + Ankor bump-mapping all is fine and nice, and don't see anymore the ugly tile lines.

#75 Jason_Williams

Jason_Williams
  • Producer
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV USA

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:54

If you (or anyone else) is interested - there is a way to tweak this mod for your taste.
What you need to do is to find following lines:
static const float4 GroundK = float4(0.25f, 0.10f, 0.45f, 0.80f);
static const float3 MaskK = float3(1.0f, 2.0f, 8.0f);
in following files:
basichlsl_summer.fx – summer and autumn seasons for the main map and Verdun/Lake,
basichlsl_winter.fx – winter season
basichlsl_summer_proc.fx – Channel map (it will have only one number for MaskK).

GroundK numbers correspond to red, green, blue texture color and water "depth" contribution to bump mapping. If you want to get rid of river banks just change the last one from 0.80f to 0.00f

For MaskK numbers define strength of sand, forest and frontline bump mapping (or only front-line for Channel map, other mask layers aren't supported there).

Feel free to experiment. I only had limited time to tune these numbers.

Now, a few words about mods off mode as I promised.
If you don't feel inclined to know "behind the scenes" stuff you may skip to the two last paragraphs :)

Initially I didn't even know that this mod will work in mods off. If you read the first post I even joked about it being so addictive that one will be unable to turn them off after trying this mod.

However, by pure coincidence it worked.
As you know mods in ROF are nothing else but file replacements and mods on/off switch simply defines which files are used: mods off => GTP contents are read first, mods on => plain files take priority.
This means that one can add new content without enabling mods, if the file is new and unique and doesn't have corresponding "original" in GTP. That's how Vander's objects worked before being included officially.

But what does it mean for this particular mod?
Before 1.029 all shaders were stored as source text files (*.fx), which were compiled when the game or mission editor started. That's why it took so long to start, by the way. After 1.029 devs finally "optimized" it by compiling shaders once and storing them in binary form (*.bin).
At this point I incorrectly assumed that they pre-compiled ALL shaders (and haven't bothered to verify it) and that's why I only provided *.bin files in the previous version of the mod. However, this was an incorrect assumption - after you change graphics settings and start the game it updates a few tiny files (*.inc) in its data directory which are then included (hence the name) into shader sources and affect how they are compiled.
So in fact devs pre-compiled only invariant shaders which doesn't depend on graphics settings, but those which do are still compiled when game is started or a mission is loaded for the first time for a given map.

Now, I can assume, that devs reasonably didn't bothered with creating a list of pre-compiled and source code shaders, but instead added a simple logic: "to get NNN shader: if there is NNN.bin file - load it, otherwise compile and load NNN.fx file", which worked flawlessly until I made my mod.

When I provided *.bin files with my mod and you turned mods off the following happened: the game was looking for terrain shader code in the following order - 1) bin file from GTP, 2) external bin file, 3) fx file from GTP, 4) external fx file. And since there is no such bin file in the step 1 and fx file would have been loaded only at step 3, the game happily used modded file from step 2. Even in mods off mode!

However, with the latest version of the mod I only provided fx files without "redundant" binary ones, which means that since there is nothing available in steps 1 and 2, the game loads standard fx file when mods are disabled.

So… What is the conclusion?

First, to make this mod work in mods off mode all I need is to compile the fx files and provide bin files for download instead. However, these files will include some of my current graphics settings (not sure which ones) and everyone using the mod will be effectively locked with the same settings.
This shouldn't be a big problem, though, because no one complained about it with the previous mod and I believe people who want to use this mod already use highest possible terrain settings. I still need to know which exactly settings are captured by this mod.

Second, after all this is a hole in game's mods on/off system, quite specific but still a hole. I don't think devs will rush to fix it, they have other things to do, but I wouldn't bet on them keeping it as is forever.

Ankor,

Go for a Mods Off version with highest settings. Let's see how it does.

Jason

#76 SYN_Jedders

SYN_Jedders

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:22

That sounds promising!!!

Please!

#77 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:38

Wonderful to receive the nod from Jason (if understandably reserved at this time). :S!:

This mod really makes a tremendous difference to the feeling of flying over agricultural fields, roads, rivers etc.

RE: employing bump mapping on this aspect but not that (as posted above) to each his own preference of course, but the more things bump mapped the better for me.
Nice that it can be easily edited to suit, THAT is a bonus.
8-)

#78 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:55

This mod really makes a tremendous difference to the feeling of flying over agricultural fields, roads, rivers etc.

RE: employing bump mapping on this aspect but not that (as posted above) to each his own preference of course, but the more things bump mapped the better for me.
8-)

Well said.
Yes bump mapping is improving greatly landscape, but mainly rivers for sure.
It is awesome from 5/600m height and above, but low levels, fields and ground tracks can look kind of blurry on my rig…depending sun light. Rivers are always ok though.
I'm using Ankor mod on top of Fubar textures, so maybe it's the reason, i don't know (never tried it on vanilla textures)

#79 J5_Rumey

J5_Rumey

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:40

Wonderful to receive the nod from Jason (if understandably reserved). :S!:

8-)

Using it to and loving it especially latest version. Great work Ankor!

#80 BroadSide

BroadSide

Posted 26 January 2014 - 18:03

I lost track of what this mod conflicts with…
Can I use Fubar's mods AND this mod without problems?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users