Photo
- - - - -

[MOD] RoF Refined 1.033c

• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#161 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:58

The folder inside the .21zip actually says .20? A typo I assume?

S!Blade<><

Oh, yes, woops! :oops:

#162 Blade_meister

Blade_meister

Posted 25 November 2013 - 13:30

gavagai, I am not sure if it is your ROF refined.21 or what Pat has done in PWCG, but I am going to say it is a combination of both your efforts. I had more fun in one mission yesterday after not having flown in weeks, than I have had in years in Single player. See this thread below for more commentary, and if you want the Track I recorded to see how your AI performed, PM me and I will e-mail it to you. Thanks for including Ankors' Bump Texture mod, it is an awesome addition also. Keep up the good work on ROF Refined Sir! :S!:

S!Blade<><

PWCg 15.0 Released

#163 Uwe_W.

Uwe_W.
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:11

This just flat out rocks.
As blade said RoF refined + PWCG is a powerful combo.

Question Gav: can you (and would it be right to) alter the cruising speeds of aircraft? Still having aircraft go balls to the wall through the entire patrol.

Also noticed a strange behavior, AI aircraft will start "bouncing" in position in formation. Sometimes as much as 20 feet or so. Just maintaining position relative to lead, but they will all be bouncing in unison.

Anyone else noticed this? campaign is for RFC, 1916, Sopwith pup.

#164 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:01

Yeah, the porpoising thing gets annoying. Other aircraft do it too, like the Albatros D.Va and Fokker D.VII. Fwiw, I haven't done anything that would affect that behavior, but I will see if I can fix it one of these days.

As for reducing the flight leader speed, there is already a parameter for that in the AI files. The AI flight leader does it well with the B-career, so that is something Pat will have to adjust.

Glad to hear it's going well!

#165 Flying_Toaster

Flying_Toaster

Posted 03 December 2013 - 13:21

Is it possible that RoF Refined causes a performance hit? Since RoFR and PWCG 15.0 I have noticed that RoF has been going in slow motion for some time and then speeding up to super speed, then slowing down again. It happens in quick battles with many aircraft (10+), which reduces the possibility of it being PWCG.
Any idea what could be causing this, and is it something I could remove from RoFR?

#166 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 03 December 2013 - 16:41

My guess would be landscape adjustments, I've installed them separately and RoF stutters occasionally since then. They look great when they work, though.

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#167 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 03 December 2013 - 22:31

Is it possible that RoF Refined causes a performance hit? Since RoFR and PWCG 15.0 I have noticed that RoF has been going in slow motion for some time and then speeding up to super speed, then slowing down again. It happens in quick battles with many aircraft (10+), which reduces the possibility of it being PWCG.
Any idea what could be causing this, and is it something I could remove from RoFR?

Your CPU is not up to speed. That's the problem I used to have with a dual core CPU.

#168 Flying_Toaster

Flying_Toaster

Posted 07 December 2013 - 19:35

It turns out I just needed to clear dust out of the laptop, so performance is fine now.

However, I am having the issue reported earlier in the thread of inactive AI. In a PWCG campaign flying as Britain (Started in a N.17, now in a Spad VII), I find that most of the Albatroses I encounter just beetle along in a straight line, even while I am right behind them shooting them up.
Is the fix to change all AI to veteran/ace the only fix?

#169 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 07 December 2013 - 19:42

Are they chasing another aircraft? With the latest PWCG the AI becomes hopeless target-fixated sometimes.

#170 Flying_Toaster

Flying_Toaster

Posted 07 December 2013 - 20:13

I don't think they are chasing anything else. They do always seem to be heading towards their airbase (well, heading Eastish, don't know where their bases are), which might be a clue.

#171 Flying_Toaster

Flying_Toaster

Posted 07 December 2013 - 20:26

It could be something with awareness. I just had a fight with a Roland C.II, and it was twisting and turning and fighting until I killed his gunner, then he just made a straight line for home without any deviations. I didn't change the AI settings for recon planes, mind you, so it was probably a lower level.

#172 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 07 December 2013 - 21:01

Oh, that explains it. What you are seeing is the emergency RTB behavior. The AI makes for home and ignores everything else.

#173 Flying_Toaster

Flying_Toaster

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:11

Is there any way to change that? At least make them dive out of the fight instead of pottering along straight and level?
I guess with the Albatroses I hit their engine enough to make them RTB.

#174 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:26

If you wound the AI pilot he goes into RTB mode. It used to be that the AI never tried to RTB with PWCG. That's a feature Pat added and you should take it up with him. For most scouts it works OK, but the Albatros is one of the slowest scouts in the game.

#175 HotTom

HotTom

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:05

Is there any way to change that? At least make them dive out of the fight instead of pottering along straight and level?
I guess with the Albatroses I hit their engine enough to make them RTB.

I suspect what Pat will tell you is he is limited by what the AI can and can't do.

You really need to recognize what can and can't be done by any mission builder without access to the code.

The fact that they are now retreating when damaged is pretty neat compared to the old method in which they just kept fighting. Yes, they are easy kills when they limp back to their base but that probably was true in real life, too.

#176 Flying_Toaster

Flying_Toaster

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:10

Fair enough, thanks for the explanation. I wish the Albatros wasn't so slow, but that's another discussion topic….

#177 Will-Saber

Will-Saber

Posted 09 December 2013 - 14:12

Thanks Gav and the rest of the modders.

It surely makes Single Player more fun and more accurate.

Flew the Nieuport 28 for a change. Its nice when your wing men doesn't just spiral down and get ripped to pieces, and you can then also get things done. Spad 13 also a lot harder to shoot down flying the DVI, they actually dive away and climb into the sun.

Definitely worth all you guys' work

#178 PatAWilson

PatAWilson

Posted 11 December 2013 - 18:15

Pretty much what HT said. I can make them run or I can make them fight but I can't make them do either one intelligently.

#179 Codifer

Codifer

Posted 11 December 2013 - 21:13

But you did make them do something, and for that I thank you.

Before, the enemy acted much like the Knight in that old satire (I forget the group, senior moment) who fought on minus arm, both arms, leg, both legs until the head could do naught but try to bite an ankle.

You gave them some sense of self preservation.

Cheers

Edit to add: Monty Python! It took a while but the damn neuron finally fired.

#180 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 11 December 2013 - 21:27

Edit to add: Monty Python! It took a while but the damn neuron finally fired.

Crap! I am 34 years old. How long do I have before I cannot remember Monty Python and the quest for the holy grail? :P

#181 Codifer

Codifer

Posted 11 December 2013 - 21:36

In looking back…. sooner than any of us would like.

Sadly.

Cheers

#182 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 December 2013 - 22:20

1.0 is up. Included an a la carte JSGME folder for those who want to select individual mods.

#183 Marcomies

Marcomies

Posted 19 December 2013 - 21:34

Is the Refined 1.0 compatible with 1.32 (other than AI mods not affecting strutters yet)?

#184 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 19 December 2013 - 21:53

Should be. Hardly anything was changed in 1.032. Just post here if you find problems.

#185 Marcomies

Marcomies

Posted 19 December 2013 - 22:01

OK, thanks!

#186 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 19 December 2013 - 22:16

Just tested the Strutter out as an AI opponent. The ailerons are twitchy as heck because of the PID controller in the AI script. It also went into a spin with only 30% fuel at 10,000ft. I wonder what kind of AoA limit 777 gave it.

Other than that, it dogfights very well, but the inverted moves with the gunner are too much. I'm hoping the two Strutters have different AI scripts.

——————

Nope, they use the same script. That prevents me from telling the two-seater, and not the B variant, not to roll inverted so much.

#187 Flying_Toaster

Flying_Toaster

Posted 20 December 2013 - 16:08

Nope, they use the same script. That prevents me from telling the two-seater, and not the B variant, not to roll inverted so much.

:? Seriously? Sigh. Well, I guess they are selling them as the same plane, so that sort of vaguely justifies it. I wonder (from my non-coding background) if it is somehow possible to split the code. Even some mission making gimmick of only having one type in a mission and switching the AI code based on that.

#188 Rashmeister

Rashmeister

Posted 21 December 2013 - 20:45

I asked this in another thread bfore I found this. I'm assuming that all the mods in this pack is compatible with each other? And I do not need any special mod order?

Am I correct?

#189 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 21 December 2013 - 21:04

correct.

#190 Rashmeister

Rashmeister

Posted 21 December 2013 - 21:18

Thx Gav!

#191 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 01 January 2014 - 14:00

In principle that can be adjusted, but the application does not seem to accept my changes. A long time ago I was able to reduce the number of bullet to kill a bot gunner from 4 to 2, but then a patch made it no longer work.

PatWilson had a good suggestion that the number of bullets to kill a pilot should be random. Sometimes it might take 4, and sometimes just 1. But we can't do that. What would you suggest, 2 or 3 bullets to kill a bot pilot or gunner?

With the reduced lethality I was still able to shoot down 5 Albatrosses with the single-gun 180hp Spad 7 last night. Every single one was a pilot kill.

Hi Gav,

Did you ever come up with a new mod for this…it would be great. I get too many pilot kills also…I'm thinking 8 bullets to kill a pilot (at least to start and then we could give you feedback to adjust it). I know 8 seems way high, but it might offset what I think is probably a pilot hit box that is too large. Would make things a bit more challenging maybe if we had the option to make the pilots harder to kill :)

#192 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 01 January 2014 - 15:13

For my money, if you follow the old maxim, 'get close' and I mean close enough to make sure most of your bullets strike home, then the pilot should be killed or incapacitated very quickly. That's what most of the real successful killers back then used to do.
It should be just as simple to kill a gunner, after all, he's flesh and blood too (supposedly)…
But then again, to get close to a two seater with an experienced gunner should be accordingly dangerous.

#193 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 01 January 2014 - 15:22

Others have suggested that they want it to only be 2 or 3 bullets to kill a pilot. If you're saying it should be more, then 4 must be just right.

;)

#194 Trooper117

Trooper117

Posted 01 January 2014 - 15:28

It shouldn't come down to what number of bullet hits remove the capacity of the pilot, but 'where' the pilot is hit.
People have survived several bullet strikes, but if just one round hits somewhere vital it should be goodnight Vienna!
Still, that kind of hit modelling is probably outside this games capabilities, lol

#195 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 01 January 2014 - 15:32

Yeah, nothing I can do there.

My point about the Spad 7 above was that even with this mod, I could kill 5 enemy aircraft with a tiny ammunition clip and a plane that maneuvers like crap. In other words, the mod does not make it too difficult to shoot stuff down.

#196 Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Posted 01 January 2014 - 16:23

It shouldn't come down to what number of bullet hits remove the capacity of the pilot, but 'where' the pilot is hit.
People have survived several bullet strikes, but if just one round hits somewhere vital it should be goodnight Vienna!
Still, that kind of hit modelling is probably outside this games capabilities, lol

Yeah, I agree. My thought was that the pilot hit box seems like it might be a bit too large and by increasing the number of bullets required to kill the pilot it would effectively create a certain percentage of misses out of hits.

#197 J.j.

J.j.

Posted 01 January 2014 - 16:26

a plane that maneuvers like crap.

I wouldn't say that for the SPAD VII, especially the 180 HP one.

#198 Voss

Voss

Posted 01 January 2014 - 19:44

Any chance to have and integrated version of

J.j.'s Cockpits mod
and
Fubar Landscape mod

in the new Rof refined release ?

#199 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 01 January 2014 - 19:49

Which one? J.j. has many cockpit mods. Some change instruments from metric to British, or vice versa, and I prefer to leave that up to the user.

Fubar's landscape mod is beautiful and I use it, but I have no plans to include it. It is bigger than all of the mods in RoF Refined.

#200 Adger71

Adger71

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:06

Great mod,but im not sure if its working anyway to tell cheers Gav

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users